Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

Games like that are complete games with just the original purchase. Some of those DLCs are what would in earlier days have been complete sequels. Some of them are cosmetic trash you can ignore if you don't care what your mans are wearing or what music plays. Plus, as mentioned, that's like 5 years of ongoing development. Usually each time a new major DLC comes out the base game and a bunch of earlier DLC goes on sale. I got Crusader King II and a bunch of DLC for $10 once.

Plus anyone who enjoys those kinds of games IS getting hundreds or thousands of hours of play time, so they probably think they got their money's worth. A single play through probably takes more than 20 hours even if you play at max speed the whole time and there is a ton of replayability.

Yes, but the key point is that those extra add-ons could have been included in the base game, and weren't; or they could have been included in update patches down the line, and weren't; they were excised out and sold separately. The full experience that game has to offer costs significantly more than the base price. A whole bunch of games release free content updates these days, often with way more included than the lists you're seeing.

I'm simply quibbling with definitions here. I don't actually have a problem with expansion packs and similar concepts; but if your definition of a game is "the base game with none of the additional content" then I have to assume you specify when you're talking about Diablo 2 with the LOD expansion pack as opposed to the base game without it.

Personally, I consider a game's price to be the price with all of the expansions and add-ons, and the "base game" is functionally an incomplete product sold at a discount. Handily, this makes games with infinite paid content generators, like loot boxes, into games with a price tag of $[all] so I stay the gently caress away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Somfin posted:

Yes, but the key point is that those extra add-ons could have been included in the base game, and weren't; or they could have been included in update patches down the line, and weren't; they were excised out and sold separately. The full experience that game has to offer costs significantly more than the base price. A whole bunch of games release free content updates these days, often with way more included than the lists you're seeing.

So for Crusader Kings 2 a lot of the content that comes with the expansion DLCs is included with the free patches, such as the new government types and alterations to the way the game plays. It's just that in order to interact with it directly as a player, you require the DLC.

Even without spending a single extra penny on it, the game that is Crusader Kings 2 in 2018 is an entirely different beast to Crusader Kings 2 of 2012.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I though train simulator is basically a digital model train set. You don't buy all $3000 worth of trains unless you run a YouTube channel where you review train simulator dlc. You just buy the trains you find interesting. And sure, you could make them free updates. But model train enthusiasts are kind of already known for being bad with money.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I though train simulator is basically a digital model train set. You don't buy all $3000 worth of trains unless you run a YouTube channel where you review train simulator dlc. You just buy the trains you find interesting. And sure, you could make them free updates. But model train enthusiasts are kind of already known for being bad with money.

In a world where every year they release the same sports game with updated rosters and more realistic sweat, I'm not gonna poo poo on train hobbyists.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Screaming Idiot posted:

God, that reminds me, is there a Discord client without the shop and other bloat? I used to love Discord because it was a lightweight way to shitpost with friends assholes I can barely tolerate, but now it has to load ALL THE THINGS. Discord wants me to know that Quirky Indie Game is available now! And WoW is having a new patch! And by the way, won't you share more data to access even more wonderful invasive features?

gently caress Discord, gently caress ads, gently caress game stores, I just wanna chat goddammit.

Dude, calm your poo poo. This is my home tab, literally none of the poo poo you mentioned is on it.

Oh, wait, I'm wrong, there is that unassuming Store tab there in the upper-left.

Done. drat, guy, chill yourself out a little about this insane bloat ruining your chatting experience.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
drat these loss edits are getting esoteric

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

if you actually need all that poo poo to make the game playable/enjoyable, it is a lovely game

You don't, actually. Mostly it's just extra poo poo you can do in the game. Paradox is actually really good about not crippling the base game at all. For Crusader Kings II there are like two or three DLCs that people usually say are "essential" but really they aren't. The game works just fine without them. The games also frequently go on sale so I highly doubt many people paid full price for all of the DLC.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You don't, actually. Mostly it's just extra poo poo you can do in the game. Paradox is actually really good about not crippling the base game at all. For Crusader Kings II there are like two or three DLCs that people usually say are "essential" but really they aren't. The game works just fine without them. The games also frequently go on sale so I highly doubt many people paid full price for all of the DLC.

The completely historic Aztec invasion of Spain is a necessary DLC, as are the rest :argh:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

John Lee posted:

Dude, calm your poo poo. This is my home tab, literally none of the poo poo you mentioned is on it.

Oh, wait, I'm wrong, there is that unassuming Store tab there in the upper-left.

Done. drat, guy, chill yourself out a little about this insane bloat ruining your chatting experience.

I'm also in the Total Domination & Discipline Classes server

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I think there is a large overlap between people who scream about video games on the internet and people with a limited game budget and a lot more free time. Maybe it's being a shut in that makes you scream into the void.

I don't know exactly what it is but there's some kind of Venn diagram going on that parallels a lot of other things where the worst people are also the loudest.

Also if your identity is tied up in half pressing a at the right moment you're probably going to see a game that invalidates half presses as an attack on your very existence.

Meme to apologize for serious words about games.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

honda whisperer posted:

I think there is a large overlap between people who scream about video games on the internet and people with a limited game budget and a lot more free time. Maybe it's being a shut in that makes you scream into the void.

I don't know exactly what it is but there's some kind of Venn diagram going on that parallels a lot of other things where the worst people are also the loudest.

Also if your identity is tied up in half pressing a at the right moment you're probably going to see a game that invalidates half presses as an attack on your very existence.

If the only comfort allowed by society is an IV of the most indulgent wonderbread and hypercircuses in human history I can see why people freak out every time they come out with a new formula that's 10% less euphoric and 10% more addictive.

It's hard to come to terms with the fact that not only are you going to die but that everything you love is going to be sucked dry by capitalism within the next 10-20 years.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

wouldnt it be the entente for ww1?

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

Poops Mcgoots posted:

But model train enthusiasts are kind of already known for being bad with money.

Case and point: Bitcoin

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Microcline posted:

It's hard to come to terms with the fact that not only are you going to die but that everything you love is going to be sucked dry by capitalism within the next 10-20 years.
I don't buy that, really. I guess the key would be to insulate yourself with hobbies that, as far as I can tell, aren't susceptible to the corruption of capitalism. Learn a skill, cook, read, take some drawing or other art classes at a local CC, etc.

Sure, are those things going to ping your Skinner box brain parts? Maybe not, but at least you're not pouring money into a system that is doing its best to fleece the gently caress out of you.

poo poo knows it's not easy to pull yourself out of it. I still play games, my hobbies require not living in an apartment so it's going to be nice when my wife and I can get a house and unplug for Christ's sake.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Gum posted:

wouldnt it be the entente for ww1?

I think they meant WWII, since the USSR wasn't a thing in WWI.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM_B8iQUqgw

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/ryanpequin/status/1073511469210169344?s=19

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

I like this guy a lot. Would recommend.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Target Practice posted:

I don't buy that, really. I guess the key would be to insulate yourself with hobbies that, as far as I can tell, aren't susceptible to the corruption of capitalism. Learn a skill, cook, read, take some drawing or other art classes at a local CC, etc.

Sure, are those things going to ping your Skinner box brain parts? Maybe not, but at least you're not pouring money into a system that is doing its best to fleece the gently caress out of you.

poo poo knows it's not easy to pull yourself out of it. I still play games, my hobbies require not living in an apartment so it's going to be nice when my wife and I can get a house and unplug for Christ's sake.

Yeah creative (vs. consumptive) and small-scale social activity are definitely necessary to stay sane. But I could move to the middle of nowhere and live as a sustainable subsistence farmer and they'd still eventually come to commodify my land and labor.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Target Practice posted:

Imo the key difference between a real hobby and other consumptive activities is that a hobby is something that gets more rewarding and enjoyable the more you do it. Consumptive activities gradually lose their appeal as you consume them.

Like compare learning to play a musical instrument to playing video games. The former kinda sucks at first but as you stick with it you get much better and it becomes much more enjoyable, you're able to play for enjoyment rather than just practicing constantly.

The problem living under capitalism is that after work people have so little time or energy that more myopic pursuits are totally understandable.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

PULL him out & BEAT HIM

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Proest of clicks.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

bike tory posted:

PULL him out & BEAT HIM

PYF Macros & Memes Part 5: PULL him out & BEAT HIM

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Somfin posted:

I'm simply quibbling with definitions here. I don't actually have a problem with expansion packs and similar concepts; but if your definition of a game is "the base game with none of the additional content" then I have to assume you specify when you're talking about Diablo 2 with the LOD expansion pack as opposed to the base game without it.

Personally, I consider a game's price to be the price with all of the expansions and add-ons, and the "base game" is functionally an incomplete product sold at a discount. Handily, this makes games with infinite paid content generators, like loot boxes, into games with a price tag of $[all] so I stay the gently caress away.

Normally I think 'gamer entitlement' is bullshit put about by companies to try and defend ridiculous practices that are genuine ripoffs. You are doing an incredible job persuading me otherwise.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

bike tory posted:

PULL him out & BEAT HIM

They PULLED a goblin out of a grape & BEAT HIM.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

bike tory posted:

Imo the key difference between a real hobby and other consumptive activities is that a hobby is something that gets more rewarding and enjoyable the more you do it. Consumptive activities gradually lose their appeal as you consume them.

Like compare learning to play a musical instrument to playing video games. The former kinda sucks at first but as you stick with it you get much better and it becomes much more enjoyable, you're able to play for enjoyment rather than just practicing constantly.

The problem living under capitalism is that after work people have so little time or energy that more myopic pursuits are totally understandable.

I'm guessing you have never played a game at a high level? This really breaks down when you apply the same principles. You're dismissing the fact that video games are something you can practice and become skilled at.

For instance I've found practicing really long combos in something like the Marvel vs Capcom series to being just as rewarding as learning the melody to a song on my guitar. They're fun to learn and experiment with. Even more so when you play someone and you're able to beat them in a match executing what you practiced instead of losing because you dropped your combo right at the end giving them the chance to comeback.

Lots of fighting games require hours of practice, learning to read people, becoming confident enough to execute under pressure.

Team shooters where you have to coordinate with a team, and practice your kit. Like a sniper player will spend time working on twitch shooting, so they can react and shoot an opponent instantly and accurately (again under pressure, I've missed so many shots during tense moments)

Or look at MMOs like FF14 where the highest level content requires a group of 8 people to perform the mechanics of their classes and the boss fight by coordinating and communicating with each other over a period of 10-15 minutes. Some fights tuned so difficult that just one person making a mistake will wipe the group.

Even old single player games have a community of speed runners working on finding the fastest way to beat a game, then spending hours practicing to post the fastest times.

Or poo poo like beaglerush's xcom runs where you see an experienced player minimize risks and play through a game in a meticulous manner that allows them to beat it on the hardest difficulty, despite most casual players assuming an 80% chance to hit means they will.

I don't know. Playing an instrument is cool and I practice my guitar almost every day and it's nice that this skill has value outside a digital world, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily a better use of my free time then just playing video games I like.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

itskage posted:

I'm guessing you have never played a game at a high level?

Please source your quotes when turning on your monitor at this McDonald's drive thru, sir.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I'm trying to be honest here and genuinely ask a question why they don't see games as something that can be practiced for enjoyment.

But feel free to continue responding with mashups of tired catch phrases, this is the meme thread after all.

e: I guess if I remove that one sentence it would sound less snarky on my part. :sigh:

itskage has a new favorite as of 08:43 on Dec 16, 2018

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

itskage posted:

I'm guessing you have never played a game at a high level? This really breaks down when you apply the same principles. You're dismissing the fact that video games are something you can practice and become skilled at.

For instance I've found practicing really long combos in something like the Marvel vs Capcom series to being just as rewarding as learning the melody to a song on my guitar. They're fun to learn and experiment with. Even more so when you play someone and you're able to beat them in a match executing what you practiced instead of losing because you dropped your combo right at the end giving them the chance to comeback.

Lots of fighting games require hours of practice, learning to read people, becoming confident enough to execute under pressure.

Team shooters where you have to coordinate with a team, and practice your kit. Like a sniper player will spend time working on twitch shooting, so they can react and shoot an opponent instantly and accurately (again under pressure, I've missed so many shots during tense moments)

Or look at MMOs like FF14 where the highest level content requires a group of 8 people to perform the mechanics of their classes and the boss fight by coordinating and communicating with each other over a period of 10-15 minutes. Some fights tuned so difficult that just one person making a mistake will wipe the group.

Even old single player games have a community of speed runners working on finding the fastest way to beat a game, then spending hours practicing to post the fastest times.

Or poo poo like beaglerush's xcom runs where you see an experienced player minimize risks and play through a game in a meticulous manner that allows them to beat it on the hardest difficulty, despite most casual players assuming an 80% chance to hit means they will.

I don't know. Playing an instrument is cool and I practice my guitar almost every day and it's nice that this skill has value outside a digital world, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily a better use of my free time then just playing video games I like.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

itskage posted:

I'm trying to be honest here and genuinely ask a question why they don't see games as something that can be practiced for enjoyment.

But feel free to continue responding with mashups of tired catch phrases, this is the meme thread after all.

e: I guess if I remove that one sentence it would sound less snarky on my part. :sigh:

Only a very small number of people play video games the way you describe, but yeah I don't see why you couldn't consider that a hobby.

Speedrunners/competitive FPS/RTS/fighting game players etc I mean. MMOs are not really difficult in my experience, they are literally just skinner boxes.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Please source your quotes when turning on your monitor at this McDonald's drive thru, sir.

I wish the drive thru meme was probeable here like it is in other subforums. That joke is loving stale.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

itskage posted:

I appreciate this post. Never be afraid to post what's in your heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

To tie all this together someone should post a list of all the Rocksmith dlc