Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
kotlin owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Lombok loving sucks don’t use it

it works fine op. i've heard the internals are horrible but idgaf about that. also all the codegen annotation stuff is bad. but lombok.val is great if you're stuck supporting pre-java-10 deployments.

i expect kotlin is nice but "hey let's rewrite everything in a different language" is a harder sell than "hey let's add this one compile-time dependency"

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

kotlin sucks too. gently caress platform types

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hackbunny posted:

you can't typedef a lambda (the type of a lambda is unique and unnamed) so they were forced to add auto. similarly, ranges (ie pairs of iterators as a single object) were the original driver of concepts and are still a major application of concepts

oh yeah lambdas came in at the same time didn't they, don't have those at $current_job either

dear god i hope my escape attempt this week is successful

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

o no, who do i believe?!

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Soricidus posted:

it works fine op. i've heard the internals are horrible but idgaf about that. also all the codegen annotation stuff is bad. but lombok.val is great if you're stuck supporting pre-java-10 deployments.

i expect kotlin is nice but "hey let's rewrite everything in a different language" is a harder sell than "hey let's add this one compile-time dependency"

lol imo only the codegen annotations are worth using

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

gonadic io posted:

since when has that stopped anybody

perhaps i'm revealing that i'm not old enough to have seen this before, but it feels different to me. actual programming with actual programming languages (mostly python) is being taught in the 11-16 schools. yes this could have happened before but it was rare and not part of the actual curriculum. i did turtle graphics then, and some poo poo with office and SQL. the first time I actually write real code was only in uni. idk we'll see.

i learned c++ in my (public) high school’s AP CS class 15 years ago, and it was not a newly added class then. CS was far from the bottom of the most-taken AP testa the year I took it, too

in uni there were some people who had never programmed before but they were the minority and most people bitched about how weird and different scheme was from what they were used to

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

some bougie motherfuckers itt

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

AggressivelyStupid posted:

we're in the pos

we hunt for the figgies

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I had cs at my ghetto dangerous high school but it was taught by the it guy. we were left to teach ourselves pascal and gently caress around with flash. there was no syllabus or exam and we all got As.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

In the UK we used vb6 and that was in like 2000. As to whether that counts as a real language is debatable but being taught programming from early teens has been around for a while here at least

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
early on in high school i had an it class which was basically "play mario teaches typing for an hour a day"

and to be totally honest, it was far, far more relevant and useful than the "mess around with php" class i ended up doing towards the end of highschool

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I took an AP Java class toward the end of high school in like 2007-2008 and it was a total pointless wank and I don't think anybody in the class even bothered sitting the AP test because the class was such a waste of time.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
A family friend, smart as a whip mind, is doing a comprehensive cyber security course at "defence" basically, a free ride the whole way and holy poo poo it sounds loving boring and while he's powering through you can tell it's not his passion

basically any sort of formal IT education seems fairly poor though I guess that can be said for any industry

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
:corsair: I took AP CS back when they used God's own language, Pascal.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i took pascal class too. it was called scientific computing and it was university physics curriculum in 2012 because my alma mater was so poor they couldn’t afford matlab

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

gonadic io posted:

We get paid way too much, generally less oversight than equivalent office jobs, also in general higher tolerance for failure than comparable jobs, and are highly in demand so moving jobs is better than equiv white collar jobs. I don't see myself leaving this career until the flood of current teens being taught this poo poo in school hits the job market. Peace. Also get therapy imo.

It's not that we're paid too much it's that everybody else is paid too little

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

10x programmer stands for ten times the minimal wage

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Soricidus posted:

you don’t rewrite poo poo, kotlin-java interop is excellent, just write new stuff in kotlin

and if you’re about to rewrite more than 30% of a java file for some reason you click "convert to kotlin" first

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Chalks posted:

In the UK we used vb6 and that was in like 2000. As to whether that counts as a real language is debatable but being taught programming from early teens has been around for a while here at least
My school in uk only taught programming if you did computer stuff at a-level, and when I did it in 97-99 we were taught Modula-2 and a tiny bit of C

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

pokeyman posted:

you don’t rewrite poo poo, kotlin-java interop is excellent, just write new stuff in kotlin

and if you’re about to rewrite more than 30% of a java file for some reason you click "convert to kotlin" first

so you're advocating for mixing languages in a single source file huh. please don't come back and fishmechfully reel off all the other situations in which one does this because they're never actually good

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i took pascal class too. it was called scientific computing and it was university physics curriculum in 2012 because my alma mater was so poor they couldn’t afford matlab

This makes me sad.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Phobeste posted:

so you're advocating for mixing languages in a single source file huh. please don't come back and fishmechfully reel off all the other situations in which one does this because they're never actually good

what

1) that’s not what they said and
2) you can’t do that in Java/Kotlin anyway. you CAN mix them in the same project, but not the same file.

there’s a button in IntelliJ to auto convert a java file into a Kotlin file, which is what they were referring to. it’s not bad because Kotlin is basically java with some extra syntax sugar

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cjs: server provisioned to me is at a constant couple second offset from utc, what the gently caress

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

cinci from what you have said about your job in the past i am guessing that it is using an in house ntp server

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

cinci from what you have said about your job in the past i am guessing that it is using an in house ntp server

correct, but it appears that we have several ntp servers and this vm is synchronised to the wrong one, since this is literally the only instance of this happening that i am aware of

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
unfortunately i have to learn c++ for work, what’s a good resource for doing so? i’m comfortable with c and java so i don’t necessarily need to start from first principles

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Pie Colony posted:

unfortunately i have to learn c++ for work, what’s a good resource for doing so? i’m comfortable with c and java so i don’t necessarily need to start from first principles

what version are you working with? poo poo has changed a lot over the years and old resources will hold you back with bad practices

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

you should learn c++ from hackbunny, ciaphas, and quiggy

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Yay, I'm using libchrome from AOSP as a C++ standard library now :lol: Why the hell is it so difficult to get line numbers in stack traces on Linux? Works out of the box on Windows.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

more like lib:chome:

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

what version are you working with? poo poo has changed a lot over the years and old resources will hold you back with bad practices

c++14 thankfully

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
$CURRENT_JOB is now a golang shop, scala is maintence only. the main question is if i accept a move to a different scala team or if I want to try to make the leap into haskell/rust/f#/ocaml/kotlin(?)/whatever anything that isn't scala and that has a type system and map/filter/fold

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
scala is fine, you can do whatever fp wankery you want with it or just treat it as java with better syntax and pattern matching. but if you can get paid to write haskell or rust you should do that

Pie Colony fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 17, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

let me tell you all about not having autos and lambdas and back in my day we included <boost/shared_ptr.hpp> instead of <memory> and we liked it rarghabl :corsair:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Ciaphas posted:

oh yeah lambdas came in at the same time didn't they, don't have those at $current_job either

dear god i hope my escape attempt this week is successful

before c++11 we made do with Boost.Lambda. Boost also had some hack to work around the lack of auto or decltype (Boost.Lambdas had named types but lol at actually typing them out), and it mostly worked on msvc too

Captain Foo posted:

you should learn c++ from hackbunny, ciaphas, and quiggy

I'm not a good teacher I'm afraid because I'm extremely self taught and couldn't tell you the difference between lvalues, glvalues, xvalues etc. and other conceptual stuff that often turns out to be important
otoh I like to think that I misunderstand the language in a useful way

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Pie Colony posted:

get a new job

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

all of my programming opinions are for sale

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

gonadic io posted:

$CURRENT_JOB is now a golang shop, scala is maintence only. the main question is if i accept a move to a different scala team or if I want to try to make the leap into haskell/rust/f#/ocaml/kotlin(?)/whatever anything that isn't scala and that has a type system and map/filter/fold

java 8 has map/filter/fold although fold is called collect, so all the people like me who just liked scala to put a little fp in their java are abandoning it. scala is dying. do you like spark? spark will be around for a while

kotlin is growing but aiui its main use is android atm. may or may not get good penetration in other areas

of all the non-jvm langs you listed imo rust has the best chance of being relevant 5-10 years from now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

kotlin is growing but aiui its main use is android atm. may or may not get good penetration in other areas

we've moved to using kotlin for server-side stuff now because of all the things it provides. it's getting popular enough that plenty of popular libraries are packaging kotlin extensions inside the main jars.