Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Project Warlock wins the "modern first person arcade shooter that harkens back to classic FPS games" race for me right now, especially after the patches to improve the graphics, framerate, and controls. But Ion Maiden is a strong contender for the forseeable future.

edit: Until 5vke Nvkem comes out anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Ion Maiden could still be butt if the levels are bad and the enemy/gun variety don't improve. The seeker bombs are really fun but it has an smg and a mini gun when just one would be enough. Build engine shooters all have crazy weapons and I hope Ion Maiden has something weird in it too.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Upload pyromania to archive.org

I love kitschy stuff like that.

You could still buy the disk from them last time I checked so I don't think I can upload it.

david_a posted:

You have one of those discs? What does the explosion look like on there - is it a noticeably better quality video? I suppose it would be illegal, but hypothetically could someone make replacement higher quality explosions (higher res, higher color depth, smoother animation) for games?

Edit: I found a review of one of the later Pyromania discs. It answers some questions about what’s actually on those things.

Edit2: I found a video of a similar explosion reel.

Yes it's much higher quality they were 800x600-ish uncompressed files and there are 2k and 4k dvds now. The ones in games chopped down in res and have less frames + any other edits for color/shape/speed etc that the artist wants. For example the explosion in Duke3d is a combo of parts of a couple of pyromania effects stuck together (the other pyromania explosion gif from Cyberia I uploaded last page is part of it for example).

You can make it as high quality as your hardware would allow. I don'd think there are too many limits for the source ports now (sprite limit I think still?). A lot of mods for them do this already but it can end up looking out of place.

The octo-brain's projectile attack

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 16, 2018

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Overbite posted:

I've been playing through DUSK (a lil way into ep 3 now) and I'm not sure I like it. The ammo is too scarce on everything except for pistols, the sounds are bad, especially the you got hit sound BOOF thing, the enemies take a lot of shots to kill and aren't that fun to fight. The levels are ok until partway into episode 2 where the game decides to become Doom 3 and make everything so dark you have to look at the world through a small yellow circle. It sucks.

What difficulty is this? I thought the ammo balance was perfect on normal. Whenever I felt like I had to start conserving ammo, the mortar was always great to fall back on cause of it's ridiculously high limit, like 50 shots

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah I have no idea how you could run out of ammo in DUSK, there's no real bullet-sponge enemy type that I can think of and it's sprinkled around very liberally.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i never did have issues with ammo, if anything got low i'd always have multiple options to start flipping through in the meanwhile

the only 'tanky' basic enemies are sort of the cyberladies and also that dog. thing. in the cart, but those never really felt too bad, especially since they weren't used too much.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
True, the roboladies were a pain but the dogs went down in a few rivets, and with the speed that thing fire...

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've had ammo shortages, but that's probably because I'm playing on the "Cero Mierdo" difficulty with the additional modifier that makes you start each level/death with only the melee weapon.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, I never had ammo problems in any of the episodes.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've had ammo shortages, but that's probably because I'm playing on the "Cero Mierdo" difficulty with the additional modifier that makes you start each level/death with only the melee weapon.

oh are the levels designed to be pistol startable? that's dope

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Flannelette posted:

The octo-brain's projectile attack

Neat! I always just assumed it was drawn.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

DisDisDis posted:

yeah, intruder mode is explicitly 'you start with only melee on every map'

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DisDisDis posted:

If you select the levels from the menu you can also customize just what weapons and ammo you start with.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm loving Dusk, the first episode was a solid retro FPS experience, with good weapons, solid gameplay, etc, but Episode 2 really made the game shine, showing better level design, better encounter design and more focus on atmosphere with some really good moments playing with darkness, claustrophobia, sounds, in general a descent to infernal madness; now it's one of my favorites of the year.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Just finished Dusk. The final gauntlet took quite a few tries with a good helping of save-scumming on the second-hardest difficulty, but I'm happy to say that I put down Jakob on the first go. Is he supposed to be the same guy you see in portraits during the lab portions of Episode 2?

Pretty much every level in Episode 3 had something memorable about it (The blood tornado is my personal favorite), and I'm finding myself already diving into another playthrough to hunt down all the secrets. Here's to hoping that 3D Realms' unannounced throwback game can live up to this.

tips
Feb 16, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

It feels like an afterthought since in episode 1 they just dump weapons next to the spawn but the other episodes are way more fun with it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah I played on intruder mode and never really had ammo problems. I also never used the pistols because they were basically useless outside of the very beginning of episode 1

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Glagha posted:

Yeah I played on intruder mode and never really had ammo problems. I also never used the pistols because they were basically useless outside of the very beginning of episode 1

They remain useful for killing soldiers and rats. Which isn't much, but it lets you save some bigger gun ammo for other stuff.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Pistols are good with fast fire but kind of shabby otherwise. I wish they had another tier of upgrade after dual wield. Maybe you could clutch a third pistol in your teeth

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I just finished Dusk.
Great game, I will only ding it in the enemy, both visually (80polygons don’t cut it, and their animations are pretty amateur) and gameplay wise they suffered of a bit of seaminess. Comparing with the master, Doom, it needed a few more original enemies, like the Pain Elemental (enemy spawner) or the Archvile (los attack + resurrector). Loots of enemies had the same role here.

I think I liked more the second episode than the third one. The third also has some very good levels, but they are a bit all over the place in theme, while I loved the second because the cohesiveness and the slow in crescendo that it has.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Turin Turambar posted:

I think I liked more the second episode than the third one. The third also has some very good levels, but they are a bit all over the place in theme, while I loved the second because the cohesiveness and the slow in crescendo that it has.
I'm actually kind of with you, though for a different reason. The thing about the third act is that it's got quite a few levels that rely more on their "gimmick" than anything else. Both the big church level and the penultimate one were basically just wave-based arenas, Homecoming was one big gravity puzzle with only a couple enemies thrown in, and I thought Brimstone Ghetto was just unmemorable. That said, I thought Fire & Ice and City of Shadows were visually stunning and fun to play, and the entire episode gave me a new appreciation for the crossbow.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Turin Turambar posted:

I just finished Dusk.
Great game, I will only ding it in the enemy, both visually (80polygons don’t cut it, and their animations are pretty amateur) and gameplay wise they suffered of a bit of seaminess. Comparing with the master, Doom, it needed a few more original enemies, like the Pain Elemental (enemy spawner) or the Archvile (los attack + resurrector). Loots of enemies had the same role here.

I can't believe someone praised the pain elemental

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

He is just cute! look at the cute little hands!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I like the pain elemental when he's used sparingly and as a reason for you to get on the offensive fast. He's not all that fun to fight against when you've got full ammo/health and good wepons. Early game and with only a shotgun or something, he's fun to go against as he's an interesting threat.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wait did the pain elemental always have arms? How did I never notice this?? :psyduck:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Convex posted:

Wait did the pain elemental always have arms? How did I never notice this?? :psyduck:

Now, notice how the pain elemental's arms come from the imp or the demon (I forgot which, but one of the two), its horns come from the cyberdemon, and its eye comes from the invisibility sphere...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Finally watched that Noclip Half Life documentary. It was really good. It's no big deal nowadays but the HL2 physics demo they showed with the barrels going through the plinko thing put a smile on my face.

Also it convinced me to buy Titanfall 2 which has been fun so far. $6 on Origin at the moment. Not bad at all for a game that's only a couple years old.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Titanfall 2 has one of the best SP in years and the MP, while not having a big community nowadays (but still pretty active) is a blast.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

Finally watched that Noclip Half Life documentary. It was really good. It's no big deal nowadays but the HL2 physics demo they showed with the barrels going through the plinko thing put a smile on my face.

Also it convinced me to buy Titanfall 2 which has been fun so far. $6 on Origin at the moment. Not bad at all for a game that's only a couple years old.

I did the same the last time somebody mentioned Titanfall 2 in this thread. That game has some of the most gorgeous skyboxes I've ever seen.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
A little late on this but I also found myself overflowing with ammo to the point I had to force myself to vary my weapons ups. I forgot I had the mortar most the time. That said if you are having trouble with ammo remember this game basically has the Half-Life 2 gravity gun. Dusk guy's basic throw is powerful enough to gib most enemies, even scarecrows, and severely weaken stronger ones. It's just not advertised with a gun model.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 16, 2018

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

It's no big deal nowadays but the HL2 physics demo they showed with the barrels going through the plinko thing put a smile on my face.
There were a lot of bullshots back in those days and I remember seeing the E3 demo and being convinced it couldn't be real-time rendered on existing hardware.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Sikreci posted:

There were a lot of bullshots back in those days and I remember seeing the E3 demo and being convinced it couldn't be real-time rendered on existing hardware.

Never forget

(Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun - they provided faked screenshots to the press, and even on the back of the packaging they had bullshots; fancy lighting effects and majestic explosions were edited in)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lambert posted:

Never forget

(Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun - they provided faked screenshots to the press, and even on the back of the packaging they had bullshots; fancy lighting effects and majestic explosions were edited in)

One of the PSX versions of C&C had the C&C95 graphics on the jewel case but the DOS graphics in game. Very disappointing to me as a kid.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Lambert posted:

Never forget

The Final PC-Version had GDI medium tanks in it? I get that the promo shot had an unused asset of a double-barrelled tank in it, but that second shot is a bit weird too.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Lambert posted:

Never forget

They didn't get too far off the mark at least, oh and the real PC shot has infuriating craters right in the middle of the base as per regulation.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Lambert posted:

Never forget

There's some off stuff about that "official PC version" screenshot too. Mainly the beginning of the nuke explosion from Red Alert 1, the medium tanks, and the rocket launcher trucks.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Flannelette posted:

They didn't get too far off the mark at least, oh and the real PC shot has infuriating craters right in the middle of the base as per regulation.

In Dune 2000 you could rebuild concrete slabs to make your base pristine again.

The Dune 2 slabs and Warcraft roads were things I missed in the C&C titles. Sure you could base-walk by building sandbags but it's not the same.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Cat Mattress posted:

The Dune 2 slabs and Warcraft roads were things I missed in the C&C titles. Sure you could base-walk by building sandbags but it's not the same.

Tiberian Sun had buildable pavement, but it was only to block subterranean units from surfacing inside your base.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

You can rebuild concrete in Tiberium sun too but it also had ground deformation where big explosion would make craters and knock the ground down a level and you can never fix it or build on it after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Tiberian Sun had buildable pavement, but it was only to block subterranean units from surfacing inside your base.

No, it also stopped craters from forming. Doesn't help for ones already formed, though.