Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
how was the fmale VA not also just "generic white voice over"

Jennifer Hale is extremely white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Not a dude though. I can live with that. WASPY dudes are the worst.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zzulu posted:

how was the fmale VA not also just "generic white voice over"

Jennifer Hale is extremely white

It's just some dumb internet circle jerk that has been going on for years. Both shepard voices are passable and unremarkable along with everything else about the ME series and Bioware in general.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zzulu posted:

The female VA was boring as gently caress and the male VA was legit bad at times but had a lot more personality to it than the INSANELY generic femshep

This is incorrect and wrong but I guess there is no shame in that, this is a safe space

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Colonel Cancer posted:

Nah dog. The whole "white American voice over" trend needs to die. They could at least have given him a fun accent.

He's Canadian

Also yeah Jen Hales voice acting was terrible

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
The Witcher 3 is just a cross between fallout 3 and Dragon age origins, and its as bad as that sounds but not as good as that sounds.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

No kidding, I never understood the Tali fan base. What a blank boring character. Basically an exotic female with no face to display emotions, just a body... ooooohhhhhhhhh

i remember playing ME2 and accidentally romancing tali because i just liked asking all of the characters questions. i clicked something benign and it brought me to the "romancing tali" subplot. mordin also thought my character was hitting on him because i kept asking questions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
ME really seems like a franchise that went from nearly inescapable to crashing and burning completely.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I played me1 and remember nothing about the characters or plot. All I remember is bumbling around planets in that little car.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

hawowanlawow posted:

I played me1 and remember nothing about the characters or plot. All I remember is bumbling around planets in that little car.

Same, but I also remember missing perfect sniper shots because my skills weren’t the right number

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

is pepsi ok posted:

lmao at the state of nintendo fanboys. whoa another exciting year of old ports, new entries in old tired series, and a couple random indies.

I own a Switch and it's fantastic, but my god the internal filtering I have to apply when looking for games that aren't

-Some turn based Japanese anime thing.
-One of those fantasy games with loads of glowing circles with symbols around the edge.
-Indie game with unimaginative visual gimmick.
-Pokemon.
-Mobile phone shovelware.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Switch has way more good poo poo on it than anyone could ever play and the portable to TV gimmick rules. I'd never want it as the only platform I own since obviously you'd miss out on a ton of the best stuff, but it's certainly worth owning, and while that list is not "insane" it's far from dire.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

VA work in any kind of dialog when the player is choosing responses is almost always lovely. Like sure the Mass Effect voices were okay but when you're recording multiple responses to a question with poor direction as far as tone and context they're never going to be more than "just okay."

It also really hamstrings a lot of "choice" in dialog, like the comparison of Fallout 3/NV to Fallout 4. The VA work for the Sole Survivor in FO4 was really lovely but I don't blame that on the actual actors for the most part. The companion VAs were mostly solid.

Except this part. This was great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_i6Ewj1cLk

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Colonel Cancer posted:

Not a dude though. I can live with that. WASPY dudes are the worst.

You’re a big stupid jellyfish

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

ME really seems like a franchise that went from nearly inescapable to crashing and burning completely.

the only good mass effect was mass effect 2 and i have no idea why the other games even exist - like, i don't know why they made a mass effect 2 after mass effect 1 (although i guess it worked out), and i don't know how mass effect 2 was so freakishly good compared with me3 etc.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

the only good mass effect was mass effect 2 and i have no idea why the other games even exist - like, i don't know why they made a mass effect 2 after mass effect 1 (although i guess it worked out), and i don't know how mass effect 2 was so freakishly good compared with me3 etc.

How much am I missing by not playing the first game? Can I just play two and not miss out on any of the important story bits?

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Away all Goats posted:

How much am I missing by not playing the first game? Can I just play two and not miss out on any of the important story bits?

Yup you definitely can. I played ME2 first and liked it a bunch, so I tried 1 and liked it even more. That said, I simply cannot recommend the first Mass Effect game. It's got a cool story with actual stakes and characters but the gameplay is nowhere near as fun. And it's ugly.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The first game has the best story and the jeep segments are pretty fun on the more outlandish planets. The game aged pretty badly but if you like cool scenery, it's sick.

I prefer the combat of ME1 to later games too. It's 80% shooting and 20% using skills as opposed to spamming your 3 skills like some lovely moba in ME2. Your crowd control and debuffs actually feel like they have weight when you can't spam them.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
Splinter Cell Blacklist was better than previous games in the series

(I really like the semi-serious technothriller theme. Old games were too childish)

JRPGs and Dark Souls suck. SA's gaming forum is full of console weebs

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 17, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

ME2 benefited tremendously from being able to put all the galaxy spanning bullshit on the back burner for 60-70% of the runtime to instead focus on unique, character themed vignette missions which could get slightly more experimental with what they asked you to do and what their setting was.

A big complaint of ME2 at the time was that the over arching story doesnt progress much during it but in hindsight that was a great thing.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

veni veni veni posted:

The Switch has way more good poo poo on it than anyone could ever play and the portable to TV gimmick rules. I'd never want it as the only platform I own since obviously you'd miss out on a ton of the best stuff, but it's certainly worth owning, and while that list is not "insane" it's far from dire.

I'd say it's a great year if the rumored exclusives and ports actually get released this year. Metroid Prime 4, Fire Emblem, SMT 5, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and No More Heroes is a very strong lineup of properties people have wanted new releases from and/or have been absent from non-handheld releases for a long time. There's also Metroid Prime Trilogy and Skyward Sword HD, which a lot of people I guess see as bullshit releases because they are ports, but the Wii had a terrible output resolution, and the Wii U sold like hot garbage, so I am cool with them because it gives me a platform to play those games on that I don't dislike using. After that you've got new IPs and Yoshi's Crafted World and Persona 5 and that's just a really solid lineup for a year in terms of heavy hitters. If someone isn't interested in those games, that's fine, but for people who like the properties enough to have already bought a switch, or will buy one because of these releases, then yeah that's a stellar list.

Without the "Rumored 2019 Exclusives" bar though, it's just a year.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Woohoo posted:

SA's gaming forum is full of console weebs

It's a beautiful thing. :blush:

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

signalnoise posted:

I'd say it's a great year if the rumored exclusives and ports actually get released this year. Metroid Prime 4, Fire Emblem, SMT 5, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and No More Heroes is a very strong lineup of properties people have wanted new releases from and/or have been absent from non-handheld releases for a long time. There's also Metroid Prime Trilogy and Skyward Sword HD, which a lot of people I guess see as bullshit releases because they are ports, but the Wii had a terrible output resolution, and the Wii U sold like hot garbage, so I am cool with them because it gives me a platform to play those games on that I don't dislike using. After that you've got new IPs and Yoshi's Crafted World and Persona 5 and that's just a really solid lineup for a year in terms of heavy hitters. If someone isn't interested in those games, that's fine, but for people who like the properties enough to have already bought a switch, or will buy one because of these releases, then yeah that's a stellar list.

Without the "Rumored 2019 Exclusives" bar though, it's just a year.

well i understand why the wii u sold like hot garbage. if you already have a wii why do you need another accessory for it

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

13Pandora13 posted:

VA work in any kind of dialog when the player is choosing responses is almost always lovely. Like sure the Mass Effect voices were okay but when you're recording multiple responses to a question with poor direction as far as tone and context they're never going to be more than "just okay."

It also really hamstrings a lot of "choice" in dialog, like the comparison of Fallout 3/NV to Fallout 4. The VA work for the Sole Survivor in FO4 was really lovely but I don't blame that on the actual actors for the most part. The companion VAs were mostly solid.

Except this part. This was great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_i6Ewj1cLk

Fallout needs wayyyyyyy more silly fun stuff like this

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Mass Effect 1 is good because when it came out it was like a breath of fresh air. Today it has aged poorly but I'd say it's still worth playing if you're into Sci-fi RPG's and blue aliens. It's just very clunky and stiff at times

Mass Effect 2 is good all around. The big downside of the game is the story, which is poo poo. This doesn't matter much though because the game is all about finding a team and making them loyal to you before the last 10% of the game when the plot picks back up again and you go kill some ultra generic badguys.

Mass Effect 3 is mostly good, but a small step down from Mass Effect 2 in all areas except shooty-gameplay. It also had a controversial ending. Still worth playing!

You can skip Mass Effect 1 if you don't care about story or characters, but it does offer the most ominous context clues about the main antagonist, the Reapers and it introduces some of the main-cast who stick around through all games. So if you're into story I'd watch the story of ME1 on youtube first or play the game and just speed through the story missions

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 17, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Woohoo posted:

Splinter Cell Blacklist was better than previous games in the series

(I really like the semi-serious technothriller theme. Old games were too childish)

JRPGs and Dark Souls suck. SA's gaming forum is full of console weebs

No, Splinter Cell Iraq War was embarrassingly bad. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory remains the high watermark of the series.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I liked splinter cell double agent, but I was also quite young back then. Never played chaos theory but it looks real good

I really liked conviction too. Movement felt significantly more fluid. Multiplayer was fun too and you could customise your murder barbie with different outfits, colours and accessories (and nationality too I guess)

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

JPRGs are a trash genre loaded with the same old unwilling hero finds love interest, who may or may not die, before saving the world from the super evil anime Wizard of Oz stories. This terrible writing is coupled with tedious grind to advance game play on a level only bested by the worst Korean pay2win mmo. As a matter of fact the Japanese haven't made a "good" game since the 90s.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

hawowanlawow posted:

There's a hot blue alien lady and a Klingon guy named Wrex.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

BubbaGrace posted:

As a matter of fact the Japanese haven't made a "good" game since the 90s.

Look at this idiot bitch who's never played Katamari.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BubbaGrace posted:

JPRGs are a trash genre loaded with the same old unwilling hero finds love interest, who may or may not die, before saving the world from the super evil anime Wizard of Oz stories. This terrible writing is coupled with tedious grind to advance game play on a level only bested by the worst Korean pay2win mmo. As a matter of fact the Japanese haven't made a "good" game since the 90s.

There's bad opinions. Then there's trolling. Then there's this unforgivable heap of poo poo of a post.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

JRPGS are poo poo though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

a new study bible! posted:

JRPGS are poo poo though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The JRPG stereotype is the equivalent of all American games being brown slogs starring grumpy white men with short brown hair who may or may not have a close family member they're eternally avenging by growing at everyone and murdering everything. Occasionally mixing it up with a skinny brown haired white woman going through emotional trauma all the time as she eternally avenges close family members by whining at everyone and murdering everything, which is very progressive.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The JRPG stereotype is the equivalent of all American games being brown slogs starring grumpy white men with short brown hair who may or may not have a close family member they're eternally avenging by growing at everyone and murdering everything. Occasionally mixing it up with a skinny brown haired white woman going through emotional trauma all the time as she eternally avenges close family members by whining at everyone and murdering everything, which is very progressive.

actually the most japanese game of all time, yakuza 0, is exactly this stereotype brought to life and it's amazing.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is just completely wrong.

The woman has blonde hair sometimes

Dr. Video Games 0135 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 17, 2018

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

a new study bible! posted:

Look at this idiot bitch who's never played Katamari.

We have found the worst opinion in the thread. Keep rolling your autistic ball of poo poo and stay out please.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Except when it comes to American games that's mostly true.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

fat bossy gerbil posted:

A Nintendo console with nothing but a tiny library of good first party titles and jack poo poo to play otherwise? Color me surprised!

Hey now, it's also got a million ports of games from the PS3/360 generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bradzilla posted:

Hey now, it's also got a million ports of games from the PS3/360 generation.

That absolutely nobody with a switch played because they only own nintendo hardware