Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Cojawfee posted:

The xbone just plain sucks at networking period. I had to turn whatever setting leaves the xbone in sleep mode off because it would come back and refuse to connect to any network. Also, the fact that you have the unplug the ethernet cable in order to use wifi is dumb as hell.

Why would you want to use wifi if an Ethernet cable is connected? I agree with wifi not connecting after waking the console up though. That's part of the reason I bought an extra cable from monoprice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
It's also idiotic that download speeds on a gigabit connection drop to under 1mbps when a game is running, especially if that game is a local, non-networked affair.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's also idiotic that download speeds on a gigabit connection drop to under 1mbps when a game is running, especially if that game is a local, non-networked affair.

The console probably doesnt know the difference and tries to preserve bandwidth for game data transfer in case you ping a leaderboard or summon a friend

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

That's still nothing compared to the PS4 Pro's (AFAIK the Slim doesn't have this problem) ability to completely monopolize any Wi-Fi network it's in. Once it starts downloading any update in the background, all other devices are effectively cut off from the Internet (I'm not talking reduced bandwidth, just no access whatsoever). In my last apartment I had no Ethernet access and another guy with a Pro - we had to both get cheap routers, install DD-WRT on them set in repeater mode and connect wired to the consoles so they wouldn't gently caress up the connection for everyone else.

..so I generally consider the Xbox to be loving stellar in this regard.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sextro posted:

I do have super poo poo tier Comcast with a router old enough that it doesn't even have 5ghz!

E: nah, its totally a busted rear end unit. Now it just can't stay on for more than a minute without shutting down, if it even gets through the full boot.

I think it’s the same problem I have. (On Xbox one x, doesn’t happen on my s) Weird hard drive issues when trying to patch etc. suddenly shuts down. I get the patch failed try again later issue a lot. I sent it to Microsoft and they didn’t fix it. One trick that seems to work for me is completely deleting any game that is failing an update. Sometimes have to restart t he Xbox several times to get there because it will shut down

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bloodplay it again posted:

Why would you want to use wifi if an Ethernet cable is connected? I agree with wifi not connecting after waking the console up though. That's part of the reason I bought an extra cable from monoprice.

Because, before I found out why the xbox sucks at networking, I was trying to figure out if it was my router causing issues. Also, it's completely insane for something to refuse to enable one of its features because a cable is plugged into a port.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cojawfee posted:

Because, before I found out why the xbox sucks at networking, I was trying to figure out if it was my router causing issues. Also, it's completely insane for something to refuse to enable one of its features because a cable is plugged into a port.

No, it's not. The gently caress reason did you have for trying to connect to wifi when you already had ethernet enabled?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

fishmech posted:

No, it's not. The gently caress reason did you have for trying to connect to wifi when you already had ethernet enabled?

Read the first sentence of my post and you'll find out. I wanted to try the wifi on a different router to see if my router was the issue, but I had to get up and unplug the ethernet to the other router first.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Welp, finally replaced my launch Bone with a Bonex. Too bad my TV is still older than both of them. :negative:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Babby got his first Xbox yesterday! :dance: My wife was so excited for me to open it, she made me do it early despite minimal protest from me. She got me Fallout 76 and Monster Hunter Worlds as well.

Are there any cool and good apps, quality of life, or fun lesser known things I should do/download? All I've ever owned we're Sony consoles and I don't know the first thing about the Xbox one.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cojawfee posted:

Read the first sentence of my post and you'll find out. I wanted to try the wifi on a different router to see if my router was the issue, but I had to get up and unplug the ethernet to the other router first.

You haven't explained why you were too stupid to unplug the ethernet cable from the device you had right in front of you. Like the thing you're asking for makes no sense trying to "test" by switching from ethernet on one router to wifi on another wont tell if the router's at fault, because the wifi is going to introduce its own weirdness.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 16, 2018

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Are there any cool and good apps, quality of life, or fun lesser known things I should do/download?

Yeah, trade in Fallout 76 for a better game. :v:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Babby got his first Xbox yesterday! :dance: My wife was so excited for me to open it, she made me do it early despite minimal protest from me. She got me Fallout 76 and Monster Hunter Worlds as well.

Are there any cool and good apps, quality of life, or fun lesser known things I should do/download? All I've ever owned we're Sony consoles and I don't know the first thing about the Xbox one.

Be on the lookout for game pass deals because it's hands down one of the best things about having an Xbox right now. Rotating selections of third party and indie titles (some shovelware but also some real solid picks) and most first party Microsoft titles are available (most notably Forza Horizon 4 which is amazing). Regular price is 9.99 a month I think? But there are always deals popping up like 1 dollar for a month or 50 percent of a year's sub.

E: oh and if you like a game enough to purchase it forever you get a discount for having game pass, which can also potentially stack with Xbox live gold sales (if you have Xbox live gold).

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I don't want my TV routed through my Xbone, is there a way to get rid of that dumb reminder every time I turn it on?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Can someone remind me where I can turn off trailers auto-starting when I load a store page?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Get gamepass. I know someone else said it but Im repeating it

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

DrNutt posted:

Be on the lookout for game pass deals because it's hands down one of the best things about having an Xbox right now. Rotating selections of third party and indie titles (some shovelware but also some real solid picks) and most first party Microsoft titles are available (most notably Forza Horizon 4 which is amazing). Regular price is 9.99 a month I think? But there are always deals popping up like 1 dollar for a month or 50 percent of a year's sub.

E: oh and if you like a game enough to purchase it forever you get a discount for having game pass, which can also potentially stack with Xbox live gold sales (if you have Xbox live gold).

There's a code for 1 month free included with that bundle (I just upgraded from my launch Xbone myself to that same one). Definitely try it out now and if you you like it, take advantage of the current holiday deals from retailers.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Barudak posted:

Get gamepass. I know someone else said it but Im repeating it

Bing has a thing where you can get reward points for searches and little microsoft quizlet nonsense, and you can get a month of gamepass free for right around a months worth of regular usage points. It's great if you don't want to the float the $10 a month.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TheAnomaly posted:

Bing has a thing where you can get reward points for searches and little microsoft quizlet nonsense, and you can get a month of gamepass free for right around a months worth of regular usage points. It's great if you don't want to the float the $10 a month.

Yup and there's a rewards app on the Xbox one itself that often gives you points for using game pass games. So, ya know, we heard you liked game pass so we put game pass in your rewards so you can earn game pass while you game pass, or something.

I wish the thread title could be GET GAME PASS AND USE MS REWARDS

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That requires remembering to use Bing every day.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Man, I'm glad The Crew 2 was free this weekend because I would never pay money for this. It does everything but driving right. The boats, planes, and motorcycles all feel nice but holy poo poo do those car handle like garbage. Also doesn't help that the AI can hit a wall (or you) and not lose their speed while you slow to a crawl.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Can someone remind me where I can turn off trailers auto-starting when I load a store page?

In the store app, press Menu (the hamburger button), go to Settings, and disable Play videos automatically.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Zat posted:

In the store app, press Menu (the hamburger button), go to Settings, and disable Play videos automatically.

:monocle: Well you just made my day! I'm so used to system level settings, it never occured to me to check for an app-centric setting.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Man, I'm glad The Crew 2 was free this weekend because I would never pay money for this. It does everything but driving right. The boats, planes, and motorcycles all feel nice but holy poo poo do those car handle like garbage. Also doesn't help that the AI can hit a wall (or you) and not lose their speed while you slow to a crawl.

That game looks like it took a lot of work to make and it bums me out that all that effort was rendered null by the cars not being fun to drive.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Potentially of interest...

quote:

To anyone who has Microsoft marketing emails allowed..

I received an email last night that was titled “Save $100 on Xbox One X consoles” where if you scroll down the email and click on the Christmas Tree icon it conatains a hidden $10 gift. It is a code so you can continue the prompts to have it added to your account, or kee the code for another account or whatever.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

gschmidl posted:

Potentially of interest...

Oh, hey, there it is. Thanks, Microsoft. Especially with me never getting Sony's emails and never being eligible for their random Netflix giveaways. :v:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Hey cool, I got the ten bucks too. That'll come in handy when a sale hits.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My XboxOneX has been installing Battlefront 2 all morning. Will disconnecting from XboxLive really make it go faster?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

My XboxOneX has been installing Battlefront 2 all morning. Will disconnecting from XboxLive really make it go faster?

Battlefront 2 is like 90ish at this point, with a lot of that (at least 40 gigs) needing to be downloaded. You probably just have to wait it out.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
If you've got a game running in the background, kill it. You'll know because your home splash screen will be whatever game you played last. Scroll down to the "Launch Game" window, click your menu button, and exit the game. Your DL speed will significantly increase.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

The xbone just plain sucks at networking period. I had to turn whatever setting leaves the xbone in sleep mode off because it would come back and refuse to connect to any network. Also, the fact that you have the unplug the ethernet cable in order to use wifi is dumb as hell.

It sounds like this might be an issue with your router if IPv6 is on, worth taking a look at.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

Traditional wisdom on the Xbone is that yes, going offline makes game installs faster overall. However, I haven't really tested recently if this is still true, but I still tend to go offline to install disc-based games out of habit.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cool, offline now, Fallout 4 installing.

I was pretty disappointed that BF2 doesn’t have an offline Battle mode other than arcade. I really wanted to play bot matches like I could on PC 10 years ago.

Then I went to a gaming forum where a few like minded people had the same thought and were dogpiled on. Are videogames a cult where criticism isn’t allowed?

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Professor Shark posted:

Are videogames a cult where criticism isn’t allowed?

what's it been like, living in a cave with no internet for the past ten years

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Professor Shark posted:

Are videogames a cult where criticism isn’t allowed?

people sent death threats to jeff gerstmann scoring zelda: twilight princess too low

he gave it an 8.8 out of 10, which is doubly hilarious since that piece of poo poo maybe deserved a 2 out of 10, at the absolute best

so yes

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

people sent death threats to jeff gerstmann scoring zelda: twilight princess too low

he gave it an 8.8 out of 10, which is doubly hilarious since that piece of poo poo maybe deserved a 2 out of 10, at the absolute best

so yes

I'm about to send you a death threat.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

so yes

im goign to kick you r god drat rear end

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Twilight princess is a solod 6/10 as everything works right but none of it barring one dungeon concept is good.

Gamecube is 7/10 for not having motion controls

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

so yes
Absolute cursed post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
tp was really good but gently caress collecting the loving tears of light