Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Wow. Not gonna lie, this is a TERRIBLE point in my life for this to be happening during. I physically can't play games myself, but it was always nice seeing these shitlords do it for me, and I always found their commentary entertaining, even when they lacked the ability to actually play the game well. Now I can't even get that, save for occasional crossovers between their solo channels. Here's hoping they continue the KH playthrough on Woolie or Matt's channel.

Not too shocked Pat (and possibly Paige) seems to be a big reason why this happened, though. He always came off as somebody that's fun to know about from a distance without actually dealing with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

I wish he would just stay out of it. The channel literally just ended this is not the time for this.

I don't think he's really doing anything bad right now tho

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
In retrospect they must have been planning this for awhile.

Last podcast they got a question about new merchandise and Woolie and Pat kinda just blew it off. Factor that in with the increase in solo content and Matt not showing up to half the podcasts as of late and you can see a definite decline after Liam's departure.

9 years is a long time. They're different people now. I think it's better to end it now than let the channel continue as it was.

I don't care for their solo content but I'm glad superbeast is still around. It's the only window into gaming news that I find tolerable.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

You guys are right I am taking it to far.

I don't hate Liam, he was actually my favorite of the best friends. I'm just really upset that my favorite Canadian based YouTube LP channel is dead and lashing out. Sorry if I made it seem that way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm glad they are calling it quits instead of continuing to peter out until they despise making videos online and each other, it's a much better call but one that so many content creators over the years never managed to make. Thanks for the years and years of entertainment, best friends!

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The shock of this sudden break-up hit me hard, but after I thought about it, it might be the most practical way to end things. Better to sever the infected limb than let the rot spread. I only poked my head in for a few specific LPs, but I’m deeply sad I’m not getting any more good stuff out of this specific group of chucklefucks.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

I don't hate Liam, he was actually my favorite of the best friends. I'm just really upset that my favorite Canadian based YouTube LP channel is dead and lashing out. Sorry if I made it seem that way.

That's fair. There's a lot of poo poo we're not privy to, so I don't think Liam is being petty for not wanting Pat/Paige to be discussed in his stream (especially considering how much "Liam left because he hated Paige" BS was floating around during the time he split), and he was a member of the channel long enough that he probably felt the need to say something - and take the opportunity to clear the air as to why he interacted with the other dudes but not Pat. From what it looks like, this is a burden off a lotta people's shoulders.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Pat does seem like the kind of person who's better in small doses. In his streams, he can be pretty toxic.

And at least now we know why Matt has been drinking on the podcast lately. Oof. Kudos to them for keeping it professional until they couldn't anymore.

Woolie is probably feeling it the worst, though. He's right in the middle of all this. Hope he doesn't get tug-of-war'd by them.

Liam came out of it pretty unscathed, all things considered.

Scialen
Nov 5, 2010

Look into my eyes...
Such a sad thing to see pop up suddenly, even though it does feel like a slow decline since Omikron. They got me back into video games by way of Dark Souls, Yakuza, and PlatinumGames, among others. I wish them all the best and looking forward to three Christmases as the years go. God speed, you crazy and wholesome shitlords.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I want to say that "we're not friends" has always been pat and liams stance. They were coworkers and that's it.

It's similar to what I went through with managers at my previous job, spend 5 years where people act like theyre your friends but as soon as you leave (or have serious personal problems up to and including suicidal depression), you can officially crawl under a rock because you were a tool they no longer have use for.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

At least we know the reason that the channel is breaking up. Can imagine if they just did an Ode to Jon and closed the channel without any explanation.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Dias posted:

A fitting end to the channel.

I feel like Matt and Pat have two wildly different viewpoints about how the channel should move forward, and I can't see someone like Matt having an easy time dealing with someone like Pat arguing over a ton of things. Definitely feels like one of those slow-cooking breakups where your social circle's been hearing a lot of complaints about the other side but they're not anything egregious, it's just exhaustion and the realization that your plans aren't compatible with the other person's plans.

Woolie seems to have landed right in the middle, because he's better equipped to deal with Pat - they're the ones with a longer history - but he gets Matt's business decisions and actually putting effort into stuff/networking/going to cons and whatnot. I actually like his solo content quite a bit because it's a mix between stuff that he's personally invested in and the eventual shitpost video.
I think they got old and grew out of sbfp.

They started as a group of college friends and, bumbled into success. Now, two of them are married and Pat has a house. Watch one of the earlier machinima videos and one of the modern fnfs and compare their personalities. They're completely different people now.

Anyway they got me through a tough adolescents got me interested in a lot of cool poo poo, and were one of the rare let's players without awful politics. I'm thankful for that at least.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dias posted:

You have a weird hateboner for Liam, mate.

That's the comment section for ya!

I managed to avoid that by not listening to the podcast for years and only enduring Liam though LPs where he's at his most powerful and yet diluted as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, we recently learned Pat literally thinks customers are Elon Musk tier evil as the majority. And he was gonna be a DOCTOR to canada.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

0 rows returned posted:

I want to say that "we're not friends" has always been pat and liams stance. They were coworkers and that's it.

Yeah, that was where I landed on when people started going all conspiratorial on a big fight between Pat, Paige (because of course there has to be a girl involved) and Liam. I think they were never very close and it wasn't any big event that caused Liam to split, it was just being mentally unhealthy from all the stress, which Pat probably was a part of because...well, he's Pat. I'm not saying he's a terrible person, mind you, but I think he's the kinda dude that you either can handle or you can't, and when you're not in a good place it becomes harder and harder to do so.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

TheManSeries posted:

Anyone cap the deleted takahata tweet?

subreddit got you covered, rehosted it on imgur for ease of viewing.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 16, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

I mean, we recently learned Pat literally thinks customers are Elon Musk tier evil as the majority. And he was gonna be a DOCTOR to canada.

There must be a level beyond Galaxy Brain to see people as the true evil instead of corporations. For now I'll stick with a simple :brainworms:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

0 rows returned posted:

Yup, I remember this being the case as well. They have both said that on separate occasions in regards to people asking 'how much do you four hang out outside of LPs/streams'. It still is a bummer that the answer was straight up "we're not friends" and not like, "we had more of a professional relationship only" or something, but I guess that's not really Liam's style.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

Woolie is probably feeling it the worst, though. He's right in the middle of all this. Hope he doesn't get tug-of-war'd by them.
Woolie was never really my favourite (I don't dislike him or anything, just preferred the others), but thinking on it I can't help but feel he kept the channel together for a while. He's on every podcast, in almost every recent LP (Shitstorms excluded). Without him putting in so much work to smooth over the cracks, this Matt/Pat confrontation probably would've come to the surface sooner.

Thank you, Darlington :unsmith:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RareAcumen posted:

There must be a level beyond Galaxy Brain to see people as the true evil instead of corporations. For now I'll stick with a simple :brainworms:

Retail can break your brain and you probably deal with a number of lovely people actually trying to get one over on you or making petty complaints while threatening your livelihood, so it's easy to get a distorted worldview when you're already a short-fuse.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Killed By Death posted:

Woolie was never really my favourite (I don't dislike him or anything, just preferred the others), but thinking on it I can't help but feel he kept the channel together for a while. He's on every podcast, in almost every recent LP (Shitstorms excluded). Without him putting in so much work to smooth over the cracks, this Matt/Pat confrontation probably would've come to the surface sooner.

Thank you, Darlington :unsmith:

Rooster Teeth are gonna keep him on a week-long trial period and then adopt him just like Barbara.

Dias posted:

Retail can break your brain and you probably deal with a number of lovely people actually trying to get one over on you or making petty complaints while threatening your livelihood, so it's easy to get a distorted worldview when you're already a short-fuse.

Yeah that has to be down to his personality or something. Granted, I only did retail for just shy of two and a half years though so I might've just not been inured in it long enough to go knifecrazy like that yet. Or maybe Canadian retail is a different type of hell to American (Somehow)

Yes I know the answer is he worked at a shady place.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

I really hope Pat doesn't end up pulling a jontron :(

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
"Rich customers commit more crimes than poor CEOs."

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Dreddout posted:

I'm not too worried about that. Paige has...interesting friends (which is to say, the Dick Show dude first and foremost, who's the one that got her into hot water anyway from what I know), but Pat's not part of that social circle and hasn't really given any hints of being that type of person.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dreddout posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdOgvdbl314

Y'know the worst part of all this is that Woolie had only just been added to the icon too.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdOgvdbl314

Y'know the worst part of all this is that Woolie had only just been added to the icon too.

I can't believe Woolie being added to the icon killed the best friends

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Whoever said Woolie was probably working overtime to try and keep everything running has definitely got a point.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dias posted:

I'm not too worried about that. Paige has...interesting friends (which is to say, the Dick Show dude first and foremost, who's the one that got her into hot water anyway from what I know), but Pat's not part of that social circle and hasn't really given any hints of being that type of person.

I think Paige is just one of those people that is willing to look past someone's views in the name of personal relationships, which is the correct thing to do for people who like a different football team than you, and not the correct thing to do with alt right losers. She doesn't seem to recognize that being adjacent to those people, whether you agree with or don't agree with or even acknowledge their beliefs outside your interactions, means you are supporting them.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
She lives with Pat. She is quite obviously god-tier at ignoring bullshit for the sake of hanging around people she likes.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Now that the DmC LP ended, what will take its place?

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I haven't been following the SBF too closely since I got a job but this still stings, man.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dias posted:

As someone short-fused who worked retail: this absolutely.

Plus, it's not like we haven't seen Pat be pro-consumer in other regards.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
If this had happened a year ago, I would have been devastated. Super Best Friends Play has been my #1 Youtube channel for 5 years, and the only group LPers I like, and I still think they're some of the most entertaining guys on Youtube. But quite frankly I haven't been feeling their LPs for the past year or so, and the Pat/Paige drama almost made me quit entirely.

I'll echo what other people are saying in that this was probably inevitable after Liam left and they started branching out into solo content, but I thought they had a couple more years left in them.

This sucks, this really, really, sucks. But I'm glad they're continuing their solo content (which has been great), I'm glad the podcast is still going, and I'm glad they'll still be streaming. So it's not totally the end of everything.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

it's just a fuckin bummer

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lot of fingers pointed at Pat and honestly not really going to deny that as dudes a rear end in a top hat who doesn't know how to cut it out and just doubles down- but part of me wonders if Matt was a issue as well due to the whole business side of things. For awhile now if he got mad he'd talk about how he signs the paychecks they get or how he's the boss and get really whiny to the point where I don't *think* it was a joke so I just gotta think on it.

I feel worse for woolie. He looked the most distraught out of all of them to the point he looked moments away from crying and I hope that dude winds up okay. I know he has the "weakest" channel of the group and I'd hate to see him give up what he loves.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Woolie's been streaming more lately. Maybe too late, but I hope he keeps it up

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah this is pure speculation, but it would be unfair to just dump it all on pat. Matt didn't seem like the best boss at times. He took a ton of vacations and he seemed to produce less or care less about the main channel at times. I have no idea how the youtube bucks were split up, but it may have started to grate on Pat, especially considering the easy bucks he could get on twitch.

Money and power relationships can ruin friendships guys.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Lot of fingers pointed at Pat and honestly not really going to deny that as dudes a rear end in a top hat who doesn't know how to cut it out and just doubles down- but part of me wonders if Matt was a issue as well due to the whole business side of things. For awhile now if he got mad he'd talk about how he signs the paychecks they get or how he's the boss and get really whiny to the point where I don't *think* it was a joke so I just gotta think on it.

I feel worse for woolie. He looked the most distraught out of all of them to the point he looked moments away from crying and I hope that dude winds up okay. I know he has the "weakest" channel of the group and I'd hate to see him give up what he loves.

Woolie's just landed a podcast on the top of the iTunes Gaming Chart, so I think he's gonna be fine. He's done some good networking and I think he's still on good terms with everyone else, plus his solo stuff is pretty new.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I dont really "blame" anyone for this.

My personal thought is that Matt and Pat want to produce different kinds of content and they couldn't get it to work anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Monathin posted:

Between this and Takahata's implications it definitely sounds like this has been a slow buildup since Liam's exit. Kind of a bummer in that case.

What were the implications?