Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It will either kick you back to the title screen or start the game in an invalid map location and totally glitch out. Nothing really worth doing, it's just weird that it brings down the emulator with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So I'm getting a $15 Target gift card from work as part of a sales contest and I'm thinking about using it to buy some eShop credit, so what's good action, adventure, or RPG-wise for 20 bucks or less?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Can you use gift cards to buy gift cards?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, poo poo, no I can't. Well, I guess I can at least buy the digital games directly with them.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Got a switch with BOTW and Smash. Haven’t had a Nintendo since the Wii first came out. Is this Zelda a continuation of any other? I thought they never were but this is an intriguing opening!

I Noel ever played Twilight Princess

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

EmmyOk posted:

Got a switch with BOTW and Smash. Haven’t had a Nintendo since the Wii first came out. Is this Zelda a continuation of any other? I thought they never were but this is an intriguing opening!

Stand alone, and barely even thematically connected. It's almost a soft reboot, if there was enough continuity to reboot in the series.

It's also the most Nintendo take on 'open world' video games in general and while it's not perfect its wholly worth playing for the unique experience it is.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 16, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

EmmyOk posted:

No, it isn’t. Some Zeldas are direct sequels but this one isn’t. It takes place like 10,000s years after all of them. There’s references to Ocarina of Time and some smaller ones to Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword but you’ll be fine.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

EmmyOk posted:

I'm glad Noel finally got a Switch

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Alright there's like three 4-star spirits I'm still having trouble with so while waiting for my high rank dudes to juice up at Doc's gym I might as well beat the final b-

oh...

OH. :stare:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mak0rz posted:

Alright there's like three 4-star spirits I'm still having trouble with so while waiting for my high rank dudes to juice up at Doc's gym I might as well beat the final b-

oh...

:unsmigghh: :getin:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I'm glad Noel finally got a Switch

Thank you autocorrect lmao

Thanks for the answers pals! Real pumped to play this everything I’ve seen about it looked great

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mak0rz posted:

oh...

Spoil this for me please?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Spoil this for me please?

There's a whole other second map after World of Light

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Has a smash meta emerged wrt spirits? Are people actually using them or just ignoring them as fiddly bs. I know they're there for variety but seems like a singleplayer time tax to actually use them multiplayer

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

What does it do under normal circumstances?

In the original game it happened to take you to the ridley fight, which was likely an awesome coincidence

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ignite Memories posted:

In the original game it happened to take you to the ridley fight, which was likely an awesome coincidence

Nope. It's an invalid password that somehow passes the game's checksum, resulting in Problems.

On real hardware with a real cartridge* it will either reset the game or spawn you in the Brinstar start area with the zero suit, a few energy tanks and missiles, and the ice beam, but the graphics will be corrupted and the scroll mode will be set to vertical, meaning you can't go anywhere (Samus just appears on the other side if you try to leave the screen).

The incorrect scroll mode is one of the reasons why the password should be considered invalid.

* On some flash carts and bootleg multicarts it sometimes spawns you on the Tourian elevator, which is a vertical scrolling room and therefore works. This is because these cartridges gently caress with how the game/system accesses certain memory addresses or something. This is why the password straight up hardlocks certain emulators because it does something unexpected and the software doesn't know what to do with it.

Edit: supposedly a big reason why it fucks everything up is because it generates a game state with a play time of over three hundred years.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 16, 2018

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Has a smash meta emerged wrt spirits? Are people actually using them or just ignoring them as fiddly bs. I know they're there for variety but seems like a singleplayer time tax to actually use them multiplayer

the meta for me is, collecting all of the ones that i like and having a nonsense party that is a fun team

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Flipgrip owners looking for more uses should check out thrash rally, cool little neogeo racing game.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I am happy that I managed to get two copies of Diablo for just under full price combined, thank you $17 Walmart gently caress up. The draw of portable face roll was too great.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

King Vidiot posted:

It's cool and good to wait until your opponent is near the fake Smash ball and then break it on purpose.

It's also cool and good to grab your opponent in midair and fall off the stage with them.

So I main Kirby and legit one of my strats is to get my opponent down to one stock while I have at least two, then suck them up and just walk off the stage.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
I've beeing eyeing up Star Link as it's about 20 quid for the starter set and it looks like all the content is already in game without having to buy tiny plastic spaceships. Can anyone cofirm/deny?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also is Kirby any good it’s got like 7/10 reviews

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

bushisms.txt posted:

Flipgrip owners looking for more uses should check out thrash rally, cool little neogeo racing game.

It looks like that's just stretching the image out in the wrong direction, though. All Neo Geo games are landscape, even the vertical shooters, because they didn't have monitors that could rotate.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

Also is Kirby any good it’s got like 7/10 reviews

Yes. It's a bit short. 10 hours to see everything?

But I think they added more maybe? Excellent couch coop.if that applies

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Muppetjedi posted:

I've beeing eyeing up Star Link as it's about 20 quid for the starter set and it looks like all the content is already in game without having to buy tiny plastic spaceships. Can anyone cofirm/deny?

It isn’t everything with just that but you get all the Starfox poo poo from the set so who cares.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Muppetjedi posted:

I think it's the Digital Deluxe edition that has all the stuff you'd normally have to buy plastic ships for.

https://www.destructoid.com/which-version-of-starlink-battle-for-atlas-is-right-for-you--527199.phtml

What I want is a version that comes with the Starfox ship, because my kid would like that, and a code for either digital version, because I'm on team gently caress Carts.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 17, 2018

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

It looks like that's just stretching the image out in the wrong direction, though. All Neo Geo games are landscape, even the vertical shooters, because they didn't have monitors that could rotate.

Yeah you have to gently caress with the size, but if you slap a filter on it, it's fine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hey why does Diablo do this every time I wake it from sleep?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, poo poo, no I can't. Well, I guess I can at least buy the digital games directly with them.
It's Target, so you can use the gift card to buy laundry detergent, which even if you don't fence it for cash you need it anyways.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

Will people even play multiplayer with spirits?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

nerdz posted:

Will people even play multiplayer with spirits?

That's my question. Havent multi yet. Still playing with kids and doing world of light

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its an option but it defaults to off. The way matchmaking works in that game I guess you could conceivably run into spirits matches though

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is the zelda DLC worth it? Is it something that you should have from the start if you're going to get it or can I play through a quarter of the game to see if I like it first?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Digirat posted:

Is the zelda DLC worth it? Is it something that you should have from the start if you're going to get it or can I play through a quarter of the game to see if I like it first?

You can play without it and get the GOTY experience.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Yeah but you get a sweet bike.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Digirat posted:

The bulk of the great DLC stuff is mid-late game though so feel free to play through a quarter of the game first. If you like it, then it’s absolutely worth it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The DLC is real good, in general, and Champions Ballad has some of the best shrines in the game, but you can't get to them until later on. The only thing you can get from the DLC from the start are the bonus outfits.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Is the DLC worth getting if you haven't played the game in over a year? I want to check it out, but I heard that some people found it kind of difficult, due to forgetting some controls/mechanics after having not played it for awhile.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

BisterdDave posted:

Is the DLC worth getting if you haven't played the game in over a year? I want to check it out, but I heard that some people found it kind of difficult, due to forgetting some controls/mechanics after having not played it for awhile.

Start a new file. Seriously, it's even better the second time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

Unless you want to play the whole game over again, it should be fine to just play the DLC on your old file. It's not that hard and you'll get back into it.