Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

TheManSeries posted:

I legit hope Matt and Woolie aren't feuding too. Those two have a good dynamic together and have been through a lot together in QA.

Honestly, I would feel awful if Woolie lost any friendships over this. The friendships he had with Liam and Matt were really great.

Similarly, I'm glad Matt and Pat now have the chance to grow in their own direction instead of being stuck tethered despite irreconcilable differences. As much as it sucks to see them split, this is hopefully the best thing for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Blockhouse posted:

Not just the solo stuff starting but also stuff like the visible palpable energy level difference between main channel Matt and Flophouse Matt

Compare this years shitstorm to the first couple

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Pat Stares At was the death of the channel all along. I knew it would be.

loving mercenary kings

doos
Jan 1, 2015

I can't imagine how Yo!Videogames is gonna one-up them this time.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

doos posted:

I can't imagine how Yo!Videogames is gonna one-up them this time.

Max says that the ninja daggers were always a lie.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
So, are there any even remotely similar channels in terms of tone and content? I'm not fussed at all about fighting or retro games, but their stupid bullshit and willingness to try a wide variety games without the usual gimmicky nonsense were something I haven't seen anywhere else.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Dias posted:

I just found that post and yeah, that makes sense. I can share it here if people wanna read it, but be aware that's pretty much hearsay and it comes from 4chan, only reason I'd be willing to post it here is that it's not 4chan bullshit, it's actually pretty level-headed about what was going on and all that.

If you don't feel comfortable sharing it in thread, PM me, I'm at least morbidly curious considering how much of my day this has already consumed.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Are there any similar active Let's Play channels around? Seems like there are less and less of these every year.

Game grumps are good if you've never checked them out, the "new" (ie since jontron left which at this time is like 5x the amount of jontron videos) duo has an unbelievable amount of chemistry and similarly to most of SBF they're very good boys poltically. They're doing a spooky games thing right now which isn't a great first impression as they go a bit overboard with Getting Spooked, but super mario party and monopoly are both fantastic recent series' they've done

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dias posted:

I just found that post and yeah, that makes sense. I can share it here if people wanna read it, but be aware that's pretty much hearsay and it comes from 4chan, only reason I'd be willing to post it here is that it's not 4chan bullshit, it's actually pretty level-headed about what was going on and all that.

Post it or pm me, I wanna see

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Well i found this out today from the Giant Bomb thread (truly a thread of misery) so I'll just paste what I wrote there:

poo poo that sucks to hear about Super Best Friends. Pat used to joke he was dating above his level but it seems like the opposite is true if all that alt right stuff is the case, but if he does believe that i bet that makes him overlook some pretty lovely behaviour. But yea drat it really sucks, you could tell Matt just wasnt feeling it anymore and he did take that big break for a while but i think they've been friends since like high school(?) so it's a real shame, i always enjoyed their LP's together and they were really drat funny at times, Matt throwing the fire axe into the void is one of my favourite youtube moments ever.

Who knows though, maybe if Woolie maintains a friendship with both of them, one day they'll reconnect, even if they never do videos again I hope they find a way to reconcile things.

Matt I know you're a goon so if you're reading this thread thank you for making me laugh for nearly a decade.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If you're going to discuss lovely 4chan rumors then :justpost: them here so I can participate too

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

RareAcumen posted:

I mean, you can say that all you like but I'm still laying the blame on this on Bush, Musk, and Pewdiepie.

drat you Ustabiaz! :argh:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Monicro posted:

Game grumps are good if you've never checked them out, the "new" (ie since jontron left which at this time is like 5x the amount of jontron videos) duo has an unbelievable amount of chemistry and similarly to most of SBF they're very good boys poltically. They're doing a spooky games thing right now which isn't a great first impression as they go a bit overboard with Getting Spooked, but super mario party and monopoly are both fantastic recent series' they've done

Was thinking of recommending Grumps as well. Dan and Arin have good chemistry, but a downside is they don't really finish out games as much - a lot of the time they do trial runs, and continue if they're interested or reception is good. Probably better for their mental health and video quality.

10 Minute Power Hour is a great weekly watch too.

I don't think you're going to replicate SBF's "flip out when the game breaks hilariously' though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'll share them here then. It's pretty reasonable stuff anyway:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Monathin posted:

If you don't feel comfortable sharing it in thread, PM me, I'm at least morbidly curious considering how much of my day this has already consumed.

I'm curious too, could I get a PM about this as well?

EDIT: Beaten, and wow if that is true Pat really does seem the catalyst for everything, even if Matt isn't entirely innocent either. Poor Woolie though. :(

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 16, 2018

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm a gossipy bitch so I'm super curious about all the gory details, but also I hope the public at large just forgets about this in a week because that poo poo's a private matter and between them and nobody else.

(it's pat's fault)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

E: Woops beaten to it

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Just Chamber posted:

but i think they've been friends since like high school(?)
I don't think it was quite that long, IIRC they were only acquaintances through Woolie when they first started making videos - Matt originally wanted Woolie to be the 2nd man but he said no - but they developed into actual friends while doing so. Now their relationship has almost come full circle, I guess...

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
This is all so weird. This is the worst timeline.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, Matt abandoned thread a while ago, and if he did pop in all our speculation and detail hunting is probably going to just make him turn away again. But on the off chance he is reading:

Seriously, man, thanks a ton. SBFP was downright formative for me, considering how young me and my friends were when it started up. You guys shaped a lot of our gaming tastes and had a big impact on our sense of humor. A lot of people gonna miss you, and maybe all the detail-digging and shitposts are just a way of dealing on that front. But in the end, I think everyone in this thread's in agreement that we hope things are well for you all.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

This is such a bummer. SBFP was one of the few Youtube channels I still eagerly check regularly. I _just_ finished rewatching the whole of the Omikron LP, which is pretty much the perfect LP of all time. I've been watching since Final Fight Streetwise, so like 6 years.

But it seems like this was the way things had to go, especially with deteriorating relationships within the group - so I can't blame them at all for doing it for their own sakes, and wish them all the best in the future. I honestly liked all three of them, and thought they worked really well together.

I'm glad the podcast is still going as well, it again is one of the few podcasts I still eagerly await each week, and has been a source of great enjoyment for years.

So, see you space cowboys. I'll miss SBFP a loving lot, but thanks for the years and years of enjoyment and laughter, and here's to your individual projects going foward!

-

Edit: If anyone does have any cool LP channels to recommend - of any type, really, I'm more interested in the personality of the players rather than the types of games now - I'd love to hear them.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Will Pat and Woolie still be doing LPs together or just podcasts?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Lor posted:

Edit: If anyone does have any cool LP channels to recommend - of any type, really, I'm more interested in the personality of the players rather than the types of games now - I'd love to hear them.

local group strawhatno is pretty good for that.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I could only ever take the sbf in small doses because Pat is so fuckin abrasive. It's a shame everyone mostly seems to be splitting their own separate ways because I would have been into a Matt/Liam/Woolie channel.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Woolie and pat will most likely continue doing collabs like how woolie does collabs with liam, would be surprised to see another lp from matt in general if those rumours are true.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

interested in seeing how this turns out, the podcast was a woolie & pat show anyways

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Depths posted:

interested in seeing how this turns out, the podcast was a woolie & pat show anyways

Probably pretty much the same

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Andrast posted:

Probably pretty much the same
But also hopefully more anime

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Kinda wondering how the first few minutes of episode one go. Are they just going to not mention it all?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
https://twitter.com/TriggerRedd/status/1074371090451857408

Sega's US Yakuza Twitter guy/localization pr rep/etc

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

Wasn't Pat on the side of no patreon, that's a lot of lost money over a few years.

Wow, that's a huge bumble if that's true. They'd have enough money to buy the Game Grumps if they'd gotten in on that.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Are there any similar active Let's Play channels around? Seems like there are less and less of these every year.

Nalesh posted:

local group strawhatno is pretty good for that.

Cannot recommend the StrawhatNO enough. Do be warned that their earlier work is different because one member (Travis) left because he's too busy to be a part of the group- I wanna say it's voice acting?- and (Yoshi) the other one is just cursed as far as his schedule goes. That hasn't stopped him from joining in on the two Sonic LPs lately though, which I'm super thankful for because the dude's got the most infectious laugh I've ever heard. Check out some of their early stuff, it's a hoot. Especially the James Bond games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVITnVCmF9c&t=557s

And there's also Chip Cheezum- AKA that guy who used to work at Volition and likes those Metal Gear and Uncharted games- and he also did an LP of The Wonderful 101 as well. Currently in the midst of uploading all the videos for the charity event him, General Ironicus and his wife, and VoidBurger have all been doing so the videos are kinda a mix of those and Super Mario Odyssey right now but eventually they'll get back to MGSV.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChipCheezumLPs/playlists

Chorpsaway and FutureFriend are the last two I can recommend because they're basically a group effort and they both make their own LPs with them being in them more often than not. Chorps did Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm from 2 to 4, Katamari Damacy, 50Cent Blood on the Sand, along with both Gungrave games etc and FutureFriend has done Final Fight: Streetwise, The Bouncer, Kingdom Hearts 1 and Chain of Memories and he's now working on Indigo Prophecy. They've got more stuff but I think this post is already getting long enough.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHu17oT5IL8uXt8WXQ2E-rQ

https://www.youtube.com/user/FriendlyVanmen

And it's pretty easy to see if you'll like FF's stuff or not since VoiceofDog made a highlight reel of his videos on threat of death commission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UgnrFGH0dQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5KFP3LkZAU

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 16, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Chip left Volition??

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Tae posted:

Chip left Volition??

volition left chip

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

Chip left Volition??

No, they fired him. Stream IT was an unnecessary job once they had to cut back after Agents of Mayhem did so poorly.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

This is a deep blow. Like almost as deep as finding out jontron was a Nazi. Best friends is why I have more than half my youtube follows and Ive spent more hours watching and rewatching their content than pretty much any other entertainment since college. Times have been very dark the last 8 years or so, and one more of the things that helped me get through it is gone. This is the worst.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Killed By Death posted:

Kinda wondering how the first few minutes of episode one go. Are they just going to not mention it all?

They'll manage to deflect by spending the first episode doing Armchair CEO: Israel v Palestine Edition

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Whatever happens, we can all agree that they're gonna gently caress it up royally the first time, it might be a new brand but it's still on brand for them.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Any friendship with pat seems like it would have a finite lifespan.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Pretty sad to wake up to this. I always loved hearing them as their energy and excitement was something I really enjoyed. They were also a group that like, actually knew stuff about things and didn't just say wrong poo poo constantly. Genuinely looked forward to the podcast every week and hopefully the new one will be able to carry on.

Good on them for making a resolved decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Christ Matt looks absolutely gutted in this video :smith: