Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I'd love to know how often those cash for gold places get bags of WWII teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

DurosKlav posted:

Fortunately nothing like that but there is stuff I have no idea what to do with really, as its a tad problematic. I wouldnt want to just trash it, but at the same time the kind of people who would buy it arent the kind of people I would be comfortable doing so.

Yeah I don’t go out of my way to buy Nazi trash but I would probably buy stuff with a connection to a service person looting it.

Especially if fairly durable I’d add to my musset bag sticking out to cosplay a GI looter.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Its just a very large flag. Someone told me it could be like a Nuremberg rally flag. It has a patch in the corner for some old ladies flower club or some poo poo. I'd take some pics but its packed away and I dont really want to go unfolding it. The rest of it is just tame stuff, armbands, and a bunch of German state medals.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

DurosKlav posted:

Its just a very large flag. Someone told me it could be like a Nuremberg rally flag. It has a patch in the corner for some old ladies flower club or some poo poo. I'd take some pics but its packed away and I dont really want to go unfolding it. The rest of it is just tame stuff, armbands, and a bunch of German state medals.

Large flag? Consider seeing if a war museum would want it. Virginia War museum near Norfolk has a very decent collection of GI looted artifacts and doesn’t call the civil war the war of northern aggression so I feel they are on the level.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Oh word?

https://twitter.com/robmaness/status/1074347941802983425?s=21

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Waste the motherfuckers?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hope somebody at OSI's taking a second look at any non-combatant deaths that occurred in the vicinity of this scum gently caress

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Encouraging war crimes to own the libs.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can’t really understand wanting to see a guy nailed for killing a taliban bomb maker.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

He took the dude who was already captured off post, killed him and then buried him.

I mean if he killed him in the heat of combat, sure, but lol come the gently caress on. That's straight up murder.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
You don't loving execute suspects and if you hypothetically did you DO NOT SAY A THING EVER

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

You don't loving execute suspects and if you hypothetically did you DO NOT SAY A THING EVER

Yeah he’s dumber than a box of bricks for that alone and shouldn’t be anywhere near an agency.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Can’t really understand wanting to see a guy nailed for killing a taliban bomb maker.

because it's a war crime?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

If the civilian cops in somewhere here in the US thought they caught a serial killer and then decided to take him out back, shoot him, and bury him, all without trial, would it be OK?

Like yeah if they’re right he's an evil person who doesn't deserve to live but should we trust Sgt Dipshit to be judge, jury, and executioner?

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 16, 2018

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Edit you know what, I’m probably in the minority here.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

my kinda ape posted:

If the civilian cops in somewhere here in the US thought they caught a serial killer and then decided to take him out back, shoot him, and bury him, all without trial, would it be OK?

Legally? No, that's literally one of the definitions of 1st degree murder.

Morally? If some Florida sheriff domed Ted Bundy and fed him to the swamps, I personally wouldn't consider that the moral equivalent of murder.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

Handsome Ralph posted:

He took the dude who was already captured off post, killed him and then buried him.

I mean if he killed him in the heat of combat, sure, but lol come the gently caress on. That's straight up murder.

He murdered a guy and talked about it shim. Thats about the most I'll care about when it comes to some mujaheddin/Taliban types. He shoulda took this one to the grave, not talked about it to the C I loving A.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

BigDave posted:

Legally? No, that's literally one of the definitions of 1st degree murder.

Morally? If some Florida sheriff domed Ted Bundy and fed him to the swamps, I personally wouldn't consider that the moral equivalent of murder.

Sure, if he got the right guy.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

because it's a war crime?

Was killing Bin Laden a war crime? He was unarmed. He was a suspect in the largest ever terror attack. We took his compound by force and straight up killed his unarmed rear end. Then we quietly dropped his body in the ocean.

Why is a Taliban bomb maker more entitled to some kind of due process in an ugly insurgency but the guy at the top isn’t?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Was killing Bin Laden a war crime? He was unarmed. He was a suspect in the largest ever terror attack. We took his compound by force and straight up killed his unarmed rear end. Then we quietly dropped his body in the ocean.

Why is a Taliban bomb maker more entitled to some kind of due process in an ugly insurgency but the guy at the top isn’t?

One was on the order of a president, the other was some SF Captain going OFP and forgetting to shut the gently caress up about it.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But really this guys biggest crime is talking about it. I know for a fact we have fellow “war criminals” around here. Rule #1 is never talk about it.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

my sgt shot someone who he thought was planting an IED. He was pumping water. from a water pump.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

my sgt shot someone who he thought was planting an IED. He was pumping water. from a water pump.

Your sergeant sounds like a future green beret captain! :)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Viva Miriya posted:

One was on the order of a president, the other was some SF Captain going OFP and forgetting to shut the gently caress up about it.

Also the Bin Laden raid was a combat operation and this dude was already a prisoner of war? Like it's really an apples and oranges comparison.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'm gonna say don't kill captives because, a) that's bad, and b) they've probably got intel that you can extract from them.

Yeah, you might have a revenge boner, but you also might save a life (or many), or get information on a higher value target, so don't go committing war crimes.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

psydude posted:

Also the Bin Laden raid was a combat operation and this dude was already a prisoner of war? Like it's really an apples and oranges comparison.

Is it really though?

I’m of the opinion we didn’t need to kill OBL in Pakistan. He deserved the federal supermax treatment with a lethal injection.

Saying it’s lawful to kill an unarmed terrorist on an objective but not an unarmed terrorist in custody is splitting hairs. The results were the same: Terrorist shot in the head and body quietly and secretly dumped. Everything else is window dressings on an ugly insurgency.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Taking OBL alive, giving him a fair trial, and then inevitably locking him away for the remainder of his life would actually have been a huge boon for the effort to rein in the worst of the "war on terror" hysterics in favor of the kind of sane, methodical judicial process that would bring a little bit of order back into the world. It would have been drat challenging to pull off a trial without OBL being assassinated or terrorists attacking, but a trial would have been a massive win for the rule of law around the world.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

not caring here posted:

I'm gonna say don't kill captives because, a) that's bad, and b) they've probably got intel that you can extract from them.

Yeah, you might have a revenge boner, but you also might save a life (or many), or get information on a higher value target, so don't go committing war crimes.

Now here’s a good point. Maybe this guy had intel to give up in detention. Maybe. A lot of times though, it’s detention for a little while than a release back into the wild.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

But really this guys biggest crime is talking about it. I know for a fact we have fellow “war criminals” around here. Rule #1 is never talk about it.

Wait, you're covering for people you know executed prisoners? What in the gently caress?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm of the opinion that killing someone when they don't pose a clear and immediate danger is bad.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Viva Miriya posted:

He murdered a guy and talked about it shim. Thats about the most I'll care about when it comes to some mujaheddin/Taliban types. He shoulda took this one to the grave, not talked about it to the C I loving A.

Him talking to the CIA and the investigation they did in 2010 didn't even get him in trouble. It was going on Fox News and bragging about it that reopened the case.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fallom posted:

Wait, you're covering for people you know executed prisoners? What in the gently caress?

Dude, I bared my soul to CID, NCIS, and AFOSI years ago. Nothing came of it because the guys in these units are honest to god above the law in the eyes of very important and powerful people.

Some of the shenanigans I was involved in got released to the public by Bradley Manning years ago and not a goddamn thing has come from it.

Sometimes things are way more hosed up than you can imagine.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
There's definitely a certain type of person we shouldn't have let back in the country

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You said “around here.” What do you mean by that?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I guess I'll never "get" it being an Intel weenie and all but, uhh, it's kind of a war crime and that's bad. Don't be bad. Be Gay, Do Crime and all but maybe not war crimes and murder?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Wow yall, really?

DON'T KILL PRISONERS.

How loving hard is this?!

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fallom posted:

You said “around here.” What do you mean by that?

I don’t know of any Gippers killing detainees.

I’m generally in favor of not killing detainees or prisoners without due process. But I’m also in favor of killing Taliban bomb makers with American blood on their hands too.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Basically.

not caring here posted:

I agree with this, yet I get why that Major did what he did. Mainly after reading this from the army times article.

quote:

Those documents were part of a 2011 report filed by an Army investigator, Special Agent Zachary Jackson, who reported that Golsteyn said after the Marines were killed in the February blast that his unit found bomb-making materials nearby, detained the suspected bomb-maker and brought him back to their base.

A local tribal leader identified the man as a known Taliban bomb-maker. The accused learned of the leader’s identification, which caused the tribal leader to fear he would kill him and his family if released.

Trusting the leader and having also seen other detainees released, Golsteyn allegedly told CIA interviewers that he and another soldier took the alleged bomb-maker off base, shot him and buried his remains.

Tribal Leader and his family or the motherfucker you found at the spot with the poo poo? Who lives or dies? Paint it that way and it makes sense to me. That said, I still think guys an idiot because there has to be options beyond "green beret affair 2010" to stay within the rules and be faithful to that dude whose giving you information. The way it reads sounds like dude didn't even bother with anything beyond murdering the guy. But who the gently caress knows. It sure the gently caress ain't me.

Cyks posted:

Him talking to the CIA and the investigation they did in 2010 didn't even get him in trouble. It was going on Fox News and bragging about it that reopened the case.

lmao, what a vain gently caress. I thought green berets were the quiet professionals.

I don’t know of any Gippers killing detainees.

I’m generally in favor of not killing detainees or prisoners without due process. But I’m also in favor of killing Taliban bomb makers with American blood on their hands too.

Inshallah. gently caress the muj.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Thalantos posted:

Wow yall, really?

DON'T KILL PRISONERS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Thalantos posted:

Wow yall, really?

DON'T KILL PRISONERS.

Apparently really hard when someone's telling you they gonna die if this dude gets to go home and snitch to his superiors.