Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

Faithless posted:

New player story -

Read the 'rock paper shotgun' review of the game last week and got pretty excited. Purchased the game and started as a cannibal prisoner.

I began with 2 people who instantly got the poo poo kicked out of them by a mob of cannibals and put into cages. Once I had healed (and watched the cannibals go about their day) I broke the locks of both cages and waited until nightfall so I could sneak off.

Before that could happen the cannibals decided to hack up one of my guys and eat him alive as he screamed for mercy. It was another half a day until my remaining person could escape under the cover of darkness.

I then had no idea where the gently caress I was going to walked/snuck around half the map trying to find a city. Looting some corpses for weapons and eating dead lambs I found. When I finally did make it to the city (poor, tired and nearly dead) I started a small business looting corpses outside ...

A week later I've a 7 man gang, one of them is currently in jail after she picked up a dead body and carried it out of the line of sight of guards to loot only to be charged with kidnapping when she returned to the City. We're looking to break her out today and then take supplies back to my hut in another city so we can buy a cybernetic arm for one of my men who had his arm pecked off by a huge beak thing.

So far - I'm loving it. It's a fairly chill game with a lot of mechanics. It can be a bit grindy? But there's a lot to do if you're willing to plod around and work stuff out.

Awesome start so far! The game does require you to stick it out. A lot of new players get discouraged when they get beat up at the beginning. The game flat out tells you that you are nobody and you are not going to save the world.

I just started a new playthrough for launch. Two guys enslaved by the holy nation, working the mines of Rebirth. The first few days were rough. A lot of beatings after stepping out of line. My scorchlander picked the lock of his shackles/cage whenever possible and got such a beatdown he lost his leg. He is going to have to stay behind. My greenlander has been unlocking other prisoners during the night, and stealing things to build up my skills in theft and stealth. The prisoners who want to be free end up getting locked up again, but have had the taste of freedom and frequently try to unlock themselves now. This leaves plenty of distractions throughout the camp as guards scramble to pick up escaping slaves. I have also had to stealth KO unruly prisoners who start yelling when I free them. Slowly building up my assassination skill for the day I make my escape.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Goddamn you guys make this sound so good.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
If you can get past the initial hurdle of struggling to fight homeless starving people with sticks this game is incredible

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

If you can get past the initial hurdle of struggling to fight homeless starving people with sticks this game is incredible

New thread title please

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
I went to the swamps, found the city in the middle, found a ruin and tried to leave. Didn't make it out. Ran out of food, half my guys are down and having to be carried barely limped back to the swamp city.

The swamp is no joke.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Started as a slave, learned a lot about lockpicking. After getting beat up a few times, I found 2 other slaves to follow me. After I sent them towards the guards there was a gap for me to escape. They didn't make it.
I found a safe house to stock up and then discovered a town with ninjas. I accepted some quest and then I could make some ninjas follow me!
I raided a farm from the holy dudes, then the contract with the ninjas "ran out" but I had like 12k and bought 3 new friends.
This game is incredible so far.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
From my post-release playthrough, but this is my team of freedom fighters after infiltrating Tengu's Vault (maximum security prison). Liberated the infamous Luquin from his cell and he agreed to join us in wiping out the slavers.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 4, 2020

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I noticed couple days ago that this game was fiiiiinally out of development hell and oh lordy am I happy that it is.

For some reason I started as slave too. There's just something about being a holocaust skeleton being forced to hump rocks and being rewarded with daily beatings. I think I got unbelievably lucky when I finally made it out of that loving shithole Rebirth because not only I got both of the created characters out, two random prisoners also managed to hurl their non-meaty skinbags through the guards at the gate and joined my group of The Way Back movie re-enactors. I'll say that trying to keep the freshly escaped prisoners alive, or simply fed, was the hardest survival game experience I've had so far. The feeling of simply managing to steal a few pieces of bread and meat to not die was really rewarding.

My group is still running southwards, chasing their dream of being eaten by dogs drowning at swamp finding the promised land of many freedoms down there somewhere.

I will admit though that I semi-accidentally found a way to cheese thieving skill up while being caged in Rebirth. You can steal a bunch of random items in the slave houses and when the guards eventually haul your broken body back to cage or you go back to your cage yourself, you can simply drop the items in the cage and pick them up again for skill points. It only took some minutes to raise thieving to 60 or so where I left it.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Picked up the game last night after reading the RPS review and having this on my wishlist for years. Already had some adventure.

Playing a worker drone. After getting my bearings the Hub, I wandered off into the desert to try my hand at prospecting. I had barely stepped out the front gate before I spotted a pack of a dozen cannibals running me down. I hightailed it back to the Hub, hoping and praying that the bar's guards would take care of them. Thankfully they did, and I got in some valuable combat experience with little danger to myself. The bloodied bodies were sprawled everywhere just outside the bar, so I waited until night and stealthily stole the rags and iron bars from all of them and sold them. Not a huge windfall, but enough to get some proper supplies and head out into the desert with some confidence.

I made it to the next town over without incident, a Shek town. I was stopped by the gate guards who made it obvious they didn't like bug people, but after letting them search my bags they rightly decided I posed no threat. Just inside the city gates I met Ruka, a down-on-her-luck Shek who had had her horns shamefully grinded down in an unfortunate incident. She joined me and I had my first friend in the wastes.

I decided we needed some quick cash to support us, so we stepped just outside of town to mine some copper for a bit. We went at it for a full day and night, filling our bags with ore. Just as we were about to head back to town, another mob of starvers descended on us. This time I was caught unawares and they immediately knocked me out cold. Ruka, being the more experienced between us, played dead. The starvers moved on, and I felt we had just narrowly avoid certain death. Well, I had Ruka get up, but the starvers must have not been far enough away, because they 180'd back to us, knocked Ruka into a coma and beat me nearly to death. I lost my right leg in the fracas. I waited 2 days, my face in the dirt, for Ruka to come out of her coma so she could carry my sorry rear end back to town, where we're currently resting back to something resembling healthy. But I'll never walk again, and now my only hope is having Ruka carry me around like a child until we can find me a prosthetic.

Game owns.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Bugman limbs suck anyway, hopefully you find a new one soon!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's a reactionary piece of me that thinks its utterly infuriating your first character starts with dipshit stats. But I realize the errors of my ways and that it is awesome because getting captured by slavers and getting the poo poo kicked out of you until you are a badass, or forcing Hobbes to mine copper while he watches you and a captured bandit karate fight in the nude, is art.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

it's been a whole people say me in later this game because my craptop is slowly dieing but I like be that the game explicitly tells you that the only way to get stronger is to it get your rear end kicked a bunch

https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/460673146451161088?lang=en

but completely sincerely

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Agean90 posted:

it's been a whole people say me in later this game because my craptop is slowly dieing but I like be that the game explicitly tells you that the only way to get stronger is to it get your rear end kicked a bunch
come again?

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
Thievery is a skill.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Get the mod that enables the peeler machine. It is guaranteed not to disappoint.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1396056759

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I love the way you organically interact with the story by just continually bumping into it via texts that you find while burglarizing headquarters, stray dialogue, occasional NPC interactions/directives, and seemingly randomly distributed plot pieces all over the map. I'm 200+ hours in and still regularly encounter big new chunks of the story/world that I've somehow missed

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Wow this game is incredible. It's like the ultimate emergent narrative game and there are a surprising amount of things you can do. I'm setting up my first player village and I plan to eventually declare war with another faction

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
Is it possible to hunt an animal species to extinction? Does a new pack of animals get spawned in the region eventually? I may have exterminated all the beak things in the eastern half of vain.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Not to my knowledge, but if you suggested that to the guy who makes the reactive world mod I bet he'd implement it

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Just started playing. Recruited Hobbs and went outside The Hub and started mining copper. Within 30 seconds attacked by and enslaved by slavers.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
Is there a mod that makes walls stronger or prevents enemies from tearing down a wall in seconds with iron sticks or bare hands?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

There is in fact, it was posted earlier in the thread but am on the phone so no link. It works quite well.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

This needs to be in the OP

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Thinking of getting this to wile away the holiday hours. Game good?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Riatsala posted:

Thinking of getting this to wile away the holiday hours. Game good?

Agean90 posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/460673146451161088?lang=en

but completely sincerely

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Perfect.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i must have been drunk as poo poo when i typed that cause even i can barely understand it know, but honestly it fits the game better.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Contrarian opinion: I felt like more could be done with the world? I didn’t really feel as if what I was doing mattered. Maybe it did and I didn’t notice? I was hoping there would be some extra flavor in the world outside your immediate companions. Yeah I knocked out some holy outposts and put the grand priests or whatever behind bars, but that was largely it. I came away from it fall feeling like a certain itch wasn’t scratched. I went in hoping for Karate Warband but with a more fleshed our world.

I played before the final zone of the world was finished so maybe there’s stuff there?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
If you take down the leaders of different factions, there are proper consequences ie their nation falling apart

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
And you're not doing that in the first hours of gameplay unless you're some sort of kenshi savant.

I've got a new group going. Lots of crossbows for everyone, every fight I spread out into a line and set everyone on hold. Took me far too long to remember that maybe the bandit helmet isn't good for archers.

I'm now setting up shop in Squin. Did the "hire mercs to get a bounty" thing but what I actually did was "cheap out on the mercs", only hire one group, realise halfway through the fight it wasn't going well, run someone back to the waystation, hire a secondary group and THEN go back to kick rear end.

Bonus, a different person hired the second group and I really wanted to just load up on all the "decent" armour. I looked one of the first group of mercs so they went hostile and the second group killed them all for me.

Ended up making a cool 25k cats by the end of it. More importantly, my guys all got knocked out so they're stronger again.

I also downloaded a Mod to expand what people will buy from shops because I think its a little silly that I can only sell the occasional bit of meat.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
Nest 146 has been wiped out.

I guess they didn't say the magic loving word. My 3 dinosaur hunters are slowly turning into an elite combat group.

dogstile posted:

And you're not doing that in the first hours of gameplay unless you're some sort of kenshi savant.

I've got a new group going. Lots of crossbows for everyone, every fight I spread out into a line and set everyone on hold. Took me far too long to remember that maybe the bandit helmet isn't good for archers.

I'm now setting up shop in Squin. Did the "hire mercs to get a bounty" thing but what I actually did was "cheap out on the mercs", only hire one group, realise halfway through the fight it wasn't going well, run someone back to the waystation, hire a secondary group and THEN go back to kick rear end.

Bonus, a different person hired the second group and I really wanted to just load up on all the "decent" armour. I looked one of the first group of mercs so they went hostile and the second group killed them all for me.

Ended up making a cool 25k cats by the end of it. More importantly, my guys all got knocked out so they're stronger again.

I also downloaded a Mod to expand what people will buy from shops because I think its a little silly that I can only sell the occasional bit of meat.

If you're swimming in money you can just go ahead and install neko's economic overhaul to make the finance and logistic part of the game more interesting. Works good in combination with the shop mod you've got since it encourages making and selling finished products as opposed to just vendoring a literal ton of hides.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm kinda into the whole "vendoring a shitton of hides until I can afford to buy a furnace" thing.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Mustang posted:

Just started playing. Recruited Hobbs and went outside The Hub and started mining copper. Within 30 seconds attacked by and enslaved by slavers.

Good, it's a good safe way to become stronger and tougher and unless he's taken to Rebirth it's pretty easy to escape. Rebirth is a bit harder because there are tons of guards and can be hard to find a path to safety once you're out but it's still doable especially if you release a ton of prisoners because the whole camp will be in disarray.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
I got this game yesterday and the very first thing that happened to me was I walked outside the gate of the town I started in and a manhunter chased me down and put my dude in a cage

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Now you can make your escape! :black101:

What mods are recommended? I have one for recruiting prisoners, but that's it at the moment.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Anticheese posted:

Now you can make your escape! :black101:

What mods are recommended? I have one for recruiting prisoners, but that's it at the moment.

Shoppingecon and the in game biome map. Maybe shidan's tweaks and fixes. Maybe interesting recruits and more names.

Be very careful about installing any of neko's mods since they're designed to make the game harder and longer, and have a cummulative effect if you're using several of them at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

How Disgusting posted:

Shoppingecon and the in game biome map.
These two are absolutely must-haves.

I also have the one that gives you +2 relations whenever your settlement pays tax/tribute. It's balanced and I feel like it makes sense. The mod that gives you access to more furniture and building options is good too, if that's your thing (it's my thing). There's also a mod that lets you rip out someone's heart to kill them when they're downed (it's just an item in their inventory) which I may use in the future because it's badass and it can be annoying waiting for guys to die. Sorry I forgot the name of the last one so I can't link it.

I like the mod that gives races their own blood color too

Dog backpack because they have the slot but no backpack will fit them.