Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I want the ability to play unlanded characters like Romance of the Three Kingdoms, so I can start out as an itinerant sell-sword who sleeps under hedges who founds a bloodline that winds up with my descendants as Emperors of the Aztec-Byzantine Megaempire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

BBJoey posted:

CK3 should only feature Western Europe and include a hyperdetailed simulation of the minutiae of high Middle Ages feudalism where for example you must face the consequences of disobeying the rules of heraldry

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’d love to know what Paradox devs in here are thinking when these massive lists of detailed ideas on how to make a game. I guess they’re all numb to it from their own terrible forums.

Ivan Shitskin posted:

I bet they like it since they hire people from these forums

Paradox hire me I can draw and paint stuff for you if my ideas suck
I'm only a step away from being an ideas guy and I managed to land a freelancer content design gig, at least.

The trick with the big suggestions is to read them and go "lol not my job description", then go back to nerfing you the player's favorite country and implementing everything you hate, forever.

e: honestly there's a lot of good stuff in those sorts of posts generally, good stuff to mull over, but not all devs are able to do all things, and even devs higher up are fixed into certain choices and the amount of time needed to really implement some of these fixes and changes can be a crazy amount more than I ever suspected was the case from the outside

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 17, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mantis42 posted:

"Make. It. Anime."

And then fans just complain that Paradox is ripping off mods again.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Electronico6 posted:

Going with Steamcharts nothing really changed. Crusader Kings 2 is still the lesser Paradox title, with HoI4 and EU4 having almost or more than twice the playerbase. Stellaris is currently the most popular due to new DLC and big patch, and I think it's their best selling title, but it always had trouble keeping people's attention outside of those dlc cycles, EU4 and HoI4 have better and more consistent averages and peaks overall. Maybe that will change with 2.2. and Stellaris will finally be a game fun to play beyond the first hour of any campaign.

CK2 in November had an average of 7,954.2 players.(With a DLC release in October it had 4,328.2)
https://steamcharts.com/app/203770

HoI4 in November had an average of 12,921.4 players
https://steamcharts.com/app/394360

EU4 in November had an average of 11,335.8 players
https://steamcharts.com/app/236850

Stellaris in November had an average of 8,242.1 players
https://steamcharts.com/app/281990

It's really impressive that it remains this active considering how old it is, but it always had less players than EU4 which is also ancient in videogame years. I think people often forget that if you can't get into the roleplaying aspect, or you're like me and can't keep the characters straight, CK2 can often feel boring, frustrating, random, and not fun at all. EU4 and HoI4 despite everything, are much more straightforward games to get in.

Per those charts CK2 has had a much higher all-time peak, so I'm not sure the current steam chart results accurately reflects actual sales. That being said, digging into those numbers - CK2's most used month was April of 2018? That feels wrong, for sure. Same with the random bounces up and down it experiences around 20k.

This is just mindless speculation, though, since Paradox won't release the sales numbers, for probably good reason.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I play all Paradox games to paint the map. I support whatever allows me to do this is a funner way.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Beamed posted:

Per those charts CK2 has had a much higher all-time peak, so I'm not sure the current steam chart results accurately reflects actual sales. That being said, digging into those numbers - CK2's most used month was April of 2018? That feels wrong, for sure. Same with the random bounces up and down it experiences around 20k.

This is just mindless speculation, though, since Paradox won't release the sales numbers, for probably good reason.

Didn't they press release it a year ago or something when CK2 hit its millionth sale?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the next paradox game ought to just be a game where you play as starbux

paint the map bitch

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Didn't they press release it a year ago or something when CK2 hit its millionth sale?

4 years ago :v: : https://www.pcgamer.com/crusader-kings-2-has-sold-one-million-copies/

Interestingly, EU4 hit it 2 years ago: https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/paradox-interactive-announces-grand-successes-for-grand-strategy-titles/

(And Stellaris 500k that same time)

We could read the tea leaves, but again, without further info from Paradox it's just pointless speculation.

The reason they're working on Victoria 3 next is because my heart can only take so much waiting.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Victoria 3 or we riot

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It doesn't have to be about Europe for me, India would be extremely awesome, but going deep in one region and throwing in lots of cultural mechanics for that until you've basically bolted a map-painting minigame to KoDP seems a lot cooler than trying to mash mechanics for half the planet into the same game.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Beamed posted:

April is when CK2 was temporarily free on steam.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Beamed posted:

In April of 2018 CK2 was made free to play for a couple of days, which is why it has that peak. The latest bounce is due to a big patch and Holy Fury being received well.(which seems like a rare thing for a paradox dlc to do these days)

Also Steamcharts just takes it's numbers directly from Steam by looking at what playing are playing and time played, not sold units. It doesn't count offline players, and yes without paradox releasing the numbers we can't really be for sure, but these stuff is being tracked for years and is largely consistent, so I doubt Paradox numbers are going to look much different than this.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 17, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Imperator diary on trade:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/development-diary-17th-of-december.1139241/

Seems pretty neat but also like it might end up being a massive pain in the rear end to micromanage.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Senor Dog posted:

there should be a pop system in every game

Pops and Strata

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Beamed posted:

Very easy explanation, CK2 free weekend

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Is Stellaris worth it for $10 without any expansions?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, but it'll make you want the expansions.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Is Stellaris worth it for $10 without any expansions?

Extremely. If you can spare more than $10, also grab the Utopia expansion, but the base game is still fine without it and very good.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Iberia is looking as dense as Greece

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
But will all those provinces have alternate romanized names for when i conquer them?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Frionnel posted:

But will all those provinces have alternate romanized names for when i conquer them?

I think you mean Carthiginian names :getin:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Arrhythmia posted:

I think you mean Bactrian names :getin:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Lol, Johan is so bad at Paradox games.

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1076910731688329216

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

:helladid:

I wonder if he went through the classic ck2 mixup where they have X amount of manpower but then it turned out Carthage had enough cash to rustle up a 20k troops out of nowhere.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Charlz Guybon posted:

Obviously CK3 will be a game focusing on the existensial horror of being an immortal who lives on through mind swapping.

Imagine the horror the first time you wake up in a beloved child's head, and you slowly realize that you've replaced everything they are. Their mind, their very soul. You wake with different bodies, genders, sexual orientations, etc. You keep getting more skilled at various aspects of state craft, but sometimes the bodies you're inhabiting are just too stupid to let you execute them. You steadily descend into madness.

The title of this thread played straight.

The Director requires sacrifice, Traveler 4978.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

:helladid:

I wonder if he went through the classic ck2 mixup where they have X amount of manpower but then it turned out Carthage had enough cash to rustle up a 20k troops out of nowhere.

Well, that's how Carthage rolled in real life.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Arrhythmia posted:

I think you mean Celtic names :getin:

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
In Stellaris the AI will declare war on me with claims to a system, but then not actually attack anything. They just sit there and let the war exhaustion increase and refuse to make peace. My fleet is equivalent to theirs according to the dip screen. I assume they will make peace when war exhaustion maxes out but it's pretty weird.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
There's a game on Steam called Aggressors: Ancient Rome which is a mix of EU and Civ. Might be interesting for people in this thread, the AI actually knows how to do naval invasions and really surprised me with one.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

There's a game on Steam called Aggressors: Ancient Rome which is a mix of EU and Civ. Might be interesting for people in this thread, the AI actually knows how to do naval invasions and really surprised me with one.

Would you recommend it? I’ve had it on my wishlist a while but haven’t ever been sure enough about it to actually buy it

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I got owned by an ally of an enemy doing a naval invasion, cutting of my supply line. It's not as indepth as a Paradox title but it's good fun and cheapish. Complexity is more on a Civ level really. I posted about it because I think people here might like it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

In Stellaris the AI will declare war on me with claims to a system, but then not actually attack anything. They just sit there and let the war exhaustion increase and refuse to make peace. My fleet is equivalent to theirs according to the dip screen. I assume they will make peace when war exhaustion maxes out but it's pretty weird.

There's a define somewhere that says not to conduct offensive operations with less than a 20% advantage in overall fleet strength. I see the same behavior if I crash build a bunch of ships when war breaks out.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

PittTheElder posted:

There's a define somewhere that says not to conduct offensive operations with less than a 20% advantage in overall fleet strength. I see the same behavior if I crash build a bunch of ships when war breaks out.

You get the same if your border star fortress is too powerful for the enemy fleet to defeat as well. They'll declare war, then do absolutely nothing as they can't find a way into your territory without getting shredded by the forts. This is extremely annoying since a status quo/white peace forces open borders with them.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Dev Diary from Imperator with some interesting changes that have been made to the design during development so far.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...20181231_pla_dd

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Fellblade posted:

Dev Diary from Imperator with some interesting changes that have been made to the design during development so far.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...20181231_pla_dd

A lot of these changes seem pretty good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

can't believe they have to work today

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Davincie posted:

Yeah I thought we wouldn't hear from anyone at Paradox until like two weeks after New Years....

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 31, 2018

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

quote:

Not Just a Name
A lot of the times, you get messages about characters in our games, you go, who was that Naughtius Maximus anyway? So, we’ve decided to rework how we refer to characters in messages and in the UI, by referring to them by their titles, relationships to titleholders, or other statuses. So now, you’ll be able to see that the character attempting to befriend your ruler is the brother of the commander of the 24th Legion, and you can more easily ignore him.

That’s cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Davincie posted:

I was writing it from home ;)