Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think one of my favorite aspects of Spider-Verse was that Peter B , while he had a hosed up loser life, was still a really good Spider-Man. Even when he sucked as a teacher his Spidey moves were so ingrained in him after 20 years he was just going through the motions during the fights and anytime he was using the webbing. Even the hacking scene of memorizing a password which he looked from a far using as reflection. Never missed, was never clumsy while fighting. Dude was THE Spider-Man. It was great to see that contrast against his personal life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Can I also say how much I loved (Spider-Verse movie)Kathryn Hahn as Doc Ock? The whole 'hippie aunt in a lab coat' vibe is a really cool take on Ock, and Hahn is always fantastic.

Oh, and reimagining Spider-Woman's shoes as ballet flats is neat too. You can almost imagine Gwen putting together her first costume and those were the shoes she had that were good for wall-crawling, so it just became part of the look.

Also, someone let Nic Cage into the recording booth and just saved whatever came out of his mouth and kept it in the movie.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 17, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Spider-Man Noir's obsession with the Rubick's Cube was a lot of fun. Especially the bit in the credits where it showed him becoming even more famous showing it off in his black and white world.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"Sometimes I light matches and let them burn down to my fingers JUST TO FEEL SOMETHING!"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Aunt May and Doc Ock had some kind of past in this. when she saw her said "Hello Liv" which is what in an earlier scene Doc Ock had said her friends called her. Ex fiance like the other Aunt May/Doc Ock story?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Into the Spider-Verse was so good. I love that it's an animated film with a unique and stylized visual language that pops out of the screen. I've never been interested in DC animated adaptations of comic storylines, because they look so dull, but that's probably an unfair comparison (I'm sure some of them are good, but I'd rather just read the comics unless they improve on the source material?)

Just two things that I wasn't too fond of:
- The spider that bit Miles was never expounded upon, so he has invisibility and shock powers just because...? I don't know but it felt like some scenes got cut out of the movie, what was it doing there in the first place anyway?
- I know it's movie trope that a character *has* to chase after their ex, but it's kind of a lazy resolution for Peter B. Minor quibble but eh ya need to work on yourself more boi

Oh and does the B. in Peter B. stand for Ben? I also liked how Miles's universe's Peter looked like Ben Reilly.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Aunt May and Doc Ock had some kind of past in this. when she saw her said "Hello Liv" which is what in an earlier scene Doc Ock had said her friends called her. Ex fiance like the other Aunt May/Doc Ock story?

oh my god she's not straight

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Schneider Heim posted:

I've never been interested in DC animated adaptations of comic storylines, because they look so dull, but that's probably an unfair comparison (I'm sure some of them are good, but I'd rather just read the comics unless they improve on the source material?)

Under the Red Hood is about the only one I can think of that does. Maybe Flashpoint a little.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I’d check to see what the comic book movie thread in CD thinks of Spiderverse but quite frankly that thread scares me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Under The Red Hood animated film is not only one of the few good DC animated films in the last decade, it's also the only good thing the character Jason Todd has ever been in.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I want to go see this movie a third loving time, christ. I haven't been so totally enthralled with a movie in this way since Fury Road. What an amazing, powerful affirmation of everything Spider-Man is.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Regarding the spider that bit Miles it glitches and has Alchemax on it. I think it's from 2099's universe. Might be something for the sequel.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Unlucky7 posted:

I’d check to see what the comic book movie thread in CD thinks of Spiderverse but quite frankly that thread scares me.

It’s usually safe for the first couple of weeks before the contrarians really dig in and start latching onto Armond White/SMG bullshit. After that, yeah, it’s a toxic waste dump.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Regarding the spider that bit Miles it glitches and has Alchemax on it. I think it's from 2099's universe. Might be something for the sequel.

I haven't read enough 2099, but doesn't Miguel have some similar powers to Miles, actually? Beyond the standard suite of spider-speed, strength, wall-crawling and spider-sense?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arist posted:

I want to go see this movie a third loving time, christ. I haven't been so totally enthralled with a movie in this way since Fury Road. What an amazing, powerful affirmation of everything Spider-Man is.

I haven't stopped thinking about it since I saw it yesterday. If it weren't for the fact that I didn't have time I probably would have gone to see it again today.

It's kind of hard for me to evaluate it on any sort of objective level because I loving love Spider-Man and like you said it's a glorious, triumphant celebration of everything Spider-Man, but I'm pretty sure that even the most diehard girmdark DC fanboy would find a lot to love about it (I have not ventured into the... other thread to confirm this).

I'm hoping that next time I see it I'm not gonna lose my poo poo over Chris Pine Peter dying again but I know I will. loving hell, that Mary Jane eulogy . And then they immediately follow that with the absolutely amazing Stan Lee cameo that's a perfect tribute and I'm now I'm getting all verklempt just thinking about it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well Alchemax is the name of the company Kingpin owns/works with to create the collider. The same branding is on the Goober as well. I'd say it probably just came from there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Alchemax is specifically what Doc Ock's in charge of. They do that gag where Miles tells Pete she's the boss, not the guy he was going to target, as foreshadowing the twist that she's Miles' world's Octavius. There's also precedent in the recent comics for Alchemax existing in the present

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That doesn't explain why the spider glitches. And even though Alchemax exists in the present, it's still tied mostly to 2099. The way the writers handled everything and were so faithful, and with the stinger, I'm still going with that it came from 2099's universe and it was how he became aware of other worlds and was watching them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I guess Dove Cameron is only Spider-Gwen in Disney stuff, as Hailee Stenfield was her voice in Into the Spider-Verse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone remember that rumour from 2008 about how the sequel to Dark Knight would definitely feature the Riddler and he'd be played by David Tennant?

I do.

This feels like retro fan casting. Tennant had been the Doctor for two years at that point and was not a huge international draw.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Olivia says only her friends call her "Liv".

Aunt May calls her "Liv" later in the movie.

Versions of Doctor Octopus has a history of trying to marry Aunt May.

Olivia is Aunt May's ex.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nodosaur posted:

Olivia says only her friends call her "Liv".

Aunt May calls her "Liv" later in the movie.

Versions of Doctor Octopus has a history of trying to marry Aunt May.

Olivia is Aunt May's ex.

You know, it would be really nice if one of these blockbusters other than Deadpool would openly have gay people in it rather than playing around like this without committing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Chickenwalker posted:

It's funny how the most universally acclaimed Spider-Man film in recent memory is ultimately the brainchild of noted Spider-Man ruiner Dan Slott.

Pffff. You might as well credit Bendis for Age of Ultron.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

That doesn't explain why the spider glitches. And even though Alchemax exists in the present, it's still tied mostly to 2099. The way the writers handled everything and were so faithful, and with the stinger, I'm still going with that it came from 2099's universe and it was how he became aware of other worlds and was watching them.

This is what I figured as well, especially since the collider is located near the section of subway where Miles is bitten. Kingpin tried to grab his family, a spider from 2099 comes through on accident. Doesn’t really need much of an explanation.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cythereal posted:

You know, it would be really nice if one of these blockbusters other than Deadpool would openly have gay people in it rather than playing around like this without committing.

I don’t really think that was a serious implication. That was me choosing to read into it in a way that’s more interesting.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is what I figured as well, especially since the collider is located near the section of subway where Miles is bitten. Kingpin tried to grab his family, a spider from 2099 comes through on accident. Doesn’t really need much of an explanation.

Yeah it was cybernetic and glitchy so I guess it got in first before the big stuff did? I get it now, thanks!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

Yeah it was cybernetic and glitchy so I guess it got in first before the big stuff did? I get it now, thanks!

Gwen also came over early because time/space isn't really reliable.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Rhyno posted:

This feels like retro fan casting. Tennant had been the Doctor for two years at that point and was not a huge international draw.

Nah, I definitely remember seeing fan mockups of Tennant as Riddler before Rises was even announced. It's the first result on Google image search.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

X-O posted:

They still keep Spider-Gwen in the title for branding. The series is only three issues in so far.

The name Spider-Woman yes, the character Jessica Drew is a little murkier. Apparently Marvel can use her if she’s not Spider powered. Like as SHIELD or something.

I'm forever living in hope that we'll see Jessica Drew in a future Captain Marvel movie.

Though I did hear a rumour ages ago that she would appear in Far From Home as an MI-6 agent, but I suppose there may have been more fanfare if that were happening.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Patrovsky posted:

I'm forever living in hope that we'll see Jessica Drew in a future Captain Marvel movie.

Though I did hear a rumour ages ago that she would appear in Far From Home as an MI-6 agent, but I suppose there may have been more fanfare if that were happening.

I remember GiAnt Man got leaked before Civil War but was Spider-Man? Because if they managed to keep that under wraps, Drew would be pretty easy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Samuringa posted:

I remember GiAnt Man got leaked before Civil War but was Spider-Man? Because if they managed to keep that under wraps, Drew would be pretty easy.
Spider-Man was in the trailers

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

FlamingLiberal posted:

And even before he was in the trailers, there were rumors about Disney and Sony negotiating to include him for a long while before. I remember the deal was considered dead in the water for months, then suddenly he was cast and the trailer was out a few weeks later.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Before the second trailer, of course. We're talking about rumors.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Will we be talking about Bumblebee in this thread? It's amazing to watch a non Bay directed Transformers film.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Spider-Man and Black Panther were rumored nearly as soon as the movie was announced. Spidey seemed like such an impossible get at the time.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Open Marriage Night posted:

Spider-Man and Black Panther were rumored nearly as soon as the movie was announced. Spidey seemed like such an impossible get at the time.

I can't remember the exact timeline, but right before the second trailer came out the question was more will they show Spider-Man rather than will he be in it, with him being in the film at that stage more or less confirmed

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

We knew about Spider-Man well before the trailers. We just didn't know if Spider-Man would appear in any of the advertising because he was a Sony property. The Sony deal was announced in February 2015 and the first trailer for Civil War was in November 2015.

Black Panther being in Civil War was announced at the MCU event in late 2014, so that was known even farther in advance.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

It was also the 2099 colors

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
efb

I should probably check the thread after walking away from an unsent post and coming back...

Open Marriage Night posted:

It wasn't a rumor so much as something we knew that Marvel was trying to put together.

In the Sony Email leak we got proof that Marvel and Sony were talking about getting Spider-man for the MCU.

The talks reportedly fell apart, but we knew it was something Marvel was trying to do. And eventually Marvel/Sony made whatever deal they needed to make to get it done.

We knew BP was going to be in Civil War whenever Marvel did that large rear end Phase 3 announcement in like 2014 where they announced movies for the next 6 or 7 years(those halcyon days).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

bessantj posted:

Will we be talking about Bumblebee in this thread? It's amazing to watch a non Bay directed Transformers film.

How is it? I liked the look of the trailers. I was going to watch that and Aquaman on Sunday but the showing of Bumblebee I was going for got cancelled and I couldn't be bothered to hang around for two hours for the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/FilmClickbait/status/1074436444024782853