Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Thanks everyone. Feel free to PM if you have questions/concerns/complaints. I check reports fairly regularly so please use that function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

now we have a football mod, we can finally move TAQ to a subforum of TG

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leperflesh posted:

now we have a football mod, we can finally move TAQ to a subforum of TG

I approve.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
A lovely choice. I'll allow it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Star Citizen forum mod, huh.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Dreams. Dreams happen now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Plutonis posted:

The Star Citizen forum mod, huh.

Not anymore.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I for one welcome our new overlords. As long as you respond to my petitions in a timely matter everything will be fine.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

real talk: why is TG even a Games subforum? I don't think there's much overlap in users, let alone topic

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah obviously TG should be a sub of DIY.

or D&D

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Elephant Parade posted:

real talk: why is TG even a Games subforum? I don't think there's much overlap in users, let alone topic

Trad games are games?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think over the last few days we've conclusively proven that there's little overlap between TG and TG, nevermind other subforums.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

is this real

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i mean obviously now that we have two mods we should claim our rightful place (and take the goddamned heroclix thread) as a proper subforum instead of a subsubforum.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

means-tested affordable access to spell slots

_____

EDIT: I have a math question I'd like to ask for some help with.

In a game I'm playing, when one unit assaults another, the combat resolution is:

quote:

Low-end casualty value inflicted on defenders = 25 * numberOfAttackers / 1000
High-end casualty value inflicted on defenders = 125 * numberOfAttackers / 1000

So if there are 450 attackers, the low-end value is 11.25, and the high-end value is 56.25

____

quote:

Low-end casualty value inflicted on attackers = 50 * numberOfDefenders / 1000
High-end casualty value inflicted on attackers = 200 * numberOfDefenders / 1000

So if there are 230 attackers, the low-end value is 11.50, and the high-end value is 46.00

____

Then, the game picks a random number between the low-end and the high-end for both attackers and defenders and applies the casualties to both sides.
- if the defender takes more casualties, the defender is forced out of the hex that they're defending
- if the attacker takes more casualties, the defender keeps the hex
- the defenders wins on ties

I'm assuming that the game simply takes an integer value between the low-end and high-end, so I was able to represent 11 to 56 as [1d46+10], while 11 to 46 was represented as [1d36+10]

Then, I asked anydice [1d46+10 > 1d36+10], and I got an answer of 59.78%, which means 59.78% of the time, the attackers will inflict more casualties on the defenders, and so will win the hex.

My question is: given that I'm able to plug in the attacker and defender numbers and output the low-end and high-end casualty values, is there a single formula that can capture the answer to "how often will the attacker win?" without me having to go back to anydice all the time.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 11, 2018

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

gradenko_2000 posted:

You probably supported the Affordable Cleric Act :P

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SirFozzie posted:

Much more popular than Don’t Ask Don’t Teleport.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

SirFozzie posted:

Typically, American legislation is nowhere near the sweeping reforms of Vatican II, which included the universal call to holiness, permitted Mass to be given in local languages, and allowed clerics to wield bladed weapons.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ijyt posted:

anime avatars holding true to the wrong opinions posting

Is a confused question the same as an opinion in the warham dimension?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

DigitalRaven posted:

Typically, American legislation is nowhere near the sweeping reforms of Vatican II, which included the universal call to holiness, permitted Mass to be given in local languages, and allowed clerics to wield bladed weapons.

Well, that's because most of the high powered folks around these parts only worship Greed and its prophet The Free Market

(you know, that old canard, let the Free Market Speak? :D)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I don't want to look in the 5e D&D thread so I'll ask here: how'd the Ravnica setting book turn out? I think I saw it for sale at Target alongside a D&D starter set.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't want to look in the 5e D&D thread so I'll ask here: how'd the Ravnica setting book turn out? I think I saw it for sale at Target alongside a D&D starter set.
As a person who only plays 3.5 when I play D&D, it's not bad. There's a few cool ideas in it; I like how they tried to convert the guild charms' effects, the monsters and NPCs have some interesting mechanics I can probably poach, and there's a reputation system that I only skimmed but could probably be the basis for something interesting if you wanted to use such a thing.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

gradenko_2000 posted:

_____

EDIT: I have a math question I'd like to ask for some help with.

In a game I'm playing, when one unit assaults another, the combat resolution is:

So if there are 450 attackers, the low-end value is 11.25, and the high-end value is 56.25

____

So if there are 230 attackers, the low-end value is 11.50, and the high-end value is 46.00

____

Then, the game picks a random number between the low-end and the high-end for both attackers and defenders and applies the casualties to both sides.
- if the defender takes more casualties, the defender is forced out of the hex that they're defending
- if the attacker takes more casualties, the defender keeps the hex
- the defenders wins on ties

I'm assuming that the game simply takes an integer value between the low-end and high-end, so I was able to represent 11 to 56 as [1d46+10], while 11 to 46 was represented as [1d36+10]

Then, I asked anydice [1d46+10 > 1d36+10], and I got an answer of 59.78%, which means 59.78% of the time, the attackers will inflict more casualties on the defenders, and so will win the hex.

My question is: given that I'm able to plug in the attacker and defender numbers and output the low-end and high-end casualty values, is there a single formula that can capture the answer to "how often will the attacker win?" without me having to go back to anydice all the time.

I've got a solution to this assuming continuous uniform distributions. If only whole numbers are possible for the random parts, my solution will be accurate to within a percent or two. It's a little cumbersome because depending on how large the number of attackers is relative to the number of defenders, the solution might have 1, 2, or 3 terms. But most of the time (when the attackers have between 40% and 160% of the defenders' numbers, it is fairly simple.

0 If A/D < 0.4
[(125A-50D)^2] / 31500AD if 0.4 < A/D < 1.6
[(125A-50D)^2 - (125A - 200D)^2] / 31500AD if 1.6 < A/D < 2.5
[(125A-50D)^2 - (125A - 200D)^2 - (20A - 50D)^2] / 31500AD if 2.5 < A/D < 10
1 if 10 < A/D

You might simplify these a bit more with a little algebra

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Nuns with Guns posted:

Anecdotal, but the three friends of mine who bought the book say it's really well done as a setting book with lots of lore and plot hooks. The biggest complaint I have seen has been the lack of a starter adventure in the book.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Anecdotal, but the three friends of mine who bought the book say it's really well done as a setting book with lots of lore and plot hooks. The biggest complaint I have seen has been the lack of a starter adventure in the book.

Huh, that is weird. Maybe that's the next step after the book is a hit?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
So I'm playtesting a deck building game, and I've got a couple PDFs of all the cards, where each card is a small separate page. I'd like to take certain pages from various pdfs and combine them into a single pdf to aid in printing out specific decks. Is there a simple way to do that? What program would I need?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

So I'm playtesting a deck building game, and I've got a couple PDFs of all the cards, where each card is a small separate page. I'd like to take certain pages from various pdfs and combine them into a single pdf to aid in printing out specific decks. Is there a simple way to do that? What program would I need?

PrimoPDF has this capability.
What you'll need to do is install PrimoPDF; then, open a PDF and print the desired page range to a new file, by choosing PrimoPDF as the Printer in your printer dialog. When the PrimoPDF applet thingy pops up, use the Save As field to define the name of your new file, and it'll create a PDF with that content.
Then, you'll do a second printing, but this time you'll append your print to the first PDF. Just like before, open it up, choose to print, select the page range you want, and hit Print. But this time, when the dialog box opens, select the previous PDF in the Save As field. When you click Save, another dialog will pop up with a dropdown: you can choose to either Append to existing file, or Overwrite existing file. Choose Append, and the new page range you just printed will get added to the end of the existing PDF.

Of course, you'd have much more control to mix and match content with a full version of Adobe Acrobat, but that's very expensive. PrimoPDF is free.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Adobe always has a free trial of their products available, though I don't know if they're feature-limited. I would hope "move pages around" wouldn't be something they'd chop out of "see how our editing program works" but you never know.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

True; but I've used PrimoPDF for this purpose and it functions, although of course it's a pain in the rear end if you accidentally append one page out of order and then spend 30 minutes appending more after it and now you have to go back and try again. But realistically most of the time I'm just appending two or three things to a PDF... usually scans of receipts appended to an expense report, that sort of thing (why in god's name the expense people insist on PDFs I don't know, but that's what I have to do!)

You can actually get a monthly subscription to Acrobat cloud now, so if this is a one-time thing, consider ponying up $15 or whatever and getting all your PDF poo poo done in one month.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

PrimoPDF has this capability.
What you'll need to do is install PrimoPDF; then, open a PDF and print the desired page range to a new file, by choosing PrimoPDF as the Printer in your printer dialog. When the PrimoPDF applet thingy pops up, use the Save As field to define the name of your new file, and it'll create a PDF with that content.
Then, you'll do a second printing, but this time you'll append your print to the first PDF. Just like before, open it up, choose to print, select the page range you want, and hit Print. But this time, when the dialog box opens, select the previous PDF in the Save As field. When you click Save, another dialog will pop up with a dropdown: you can choose to either Append to existing file, or Overwrite existing file. Choose Append, and the new page range you just printed will get added to the end of the existing PDF.

Ah, this is fantastic. Thank you!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Leperflesh posted:

You can actually get a monthly subscription to Acrobat cloud now, so if this is a one-time thing, consider ponying up $15 or whatever and getting all your PDF poo poo done in one month.

Unfortunately, I think they always require an "annual commitment", i.e., you sign up for a year no matter what and if you cancel early you pay a 50% balance penalty (or don't get a refund in the event that you prepaid).

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That Old Tree posted:

Unfortunately, I think they always require an "annual commitment", i.e., you sign up for a year no matter what and if you cancel early you pay a 50% balance penalty (or don't get a refund in the event that you prepaid).

You can do a $25 monthly version with no commitment, but that starts to get steep if you need it for very long.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
gently caress it sucks to see like a new system I'm interested in trying in recruitment here and then try to spend a little bit thinking about making a character and when I check in on it again, there's like 10 more apps and they've all got fancy little titles they made in Photoshop and cool pictures and meanwhile I'm scrounging Pinterest to try and find something cool and Photoshop is a frightening and arcane system for me. This happens so often.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

gently caress it sucks to see like a new system I'm interested in trying in recruitment here and then try to spend a little bit thinking about making a character and when I check in on it again, there's like 10 more apps and they've all got fancy little titles they made in Photoshop and cool pictures and meanwhile I'm scrounging Pinterest to try and find something cool and Photoshop is a frightening and arcane system for me. This happens so often.

:justpost:

People generally aren't looking for a fancy title card/picture over an interesting character concept.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

berenzen posted:

:justpost:

People generally aren't looking for a fancy title card/picture over an interesting character concept.

Yeah, I was surprised to learn that was even a thing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I've never let that stop me before but I do sympathize with struggling to find just the right bit of character art.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
days of trawling through deviant art/elfwood/what have you and occasionally screaming "WHY IS EVERYTHING SO loving HORNY????"

The other side of the coin being looking through actor headshot sites for modern-day stuff and feeling like an utter creep for doing so.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I chose to play a female barbarian with red hair for a campaign and Boy there’s a lot of people who want to gently caress Red Sonja in 2018

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That's been true forever though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!

SunAndSpring posted:

Please don't ever be discouraged by something like this! I know I'm probably one of the worst offenders when it comes to prettying up applications, but at the end of the day it really is about your character's concept and build, and ultimately what the individual running their game wants to do, and what themes and ideas appeal to them the most, and they feel will work best for their game.

I made this cute little application for a Final Fantasy-themed game years ago (someone else actually made a gif of it, but I sadly don't have it anymore) and didn't get in. While it is novel thing to look at, there really wasn't too much to her concept-wise. There were definitely better apps. I should have spent more time writing something a little more comprehensive rather than trying to transform a Rydia sprite into a paladin. I've never done anything so graphically ambitious since.

bahamut fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 17, 2018