Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

JEEVES420 posted:

But the real question is do you leave footprints?

Supposedly yes. They go away after a short while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Snowmobile apparently leaves tracks too.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

yeah and the developers made it so your balls shrink when ur in the snow. so majestic

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

I give the new map a 1/10, dead game.

:getout:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I must admit I don't quite see the point of having only squads on the test server.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I am a crazy person, so I wrote up all my thoughts after playing on the Test Server for a couple days.

New Map
-I haven't formed a final impression of the new map yet, positive or negative. As a reference, I like Erangel & Miramar, but I never got 100% on-board with Sanhok and I'll dodge Sanhok if I get it twice in a row in Quick Join.
-The new map obviously took a lot of effort and has some really cool areas like the Dino Park and the old Soviet rocket launching site. But, boy, if it's taking them a year between new maps because they're worried about creating dinosaurs and spaceships, they are focusing on the wrong things.
-Even though the new map is a 6x6, it feels much 'bigger' than Sanhok, and comparable to the 2 large maps. There are a lot more densely populated areas than Sanhok, and much less ocean filling up the map. It feels most similar to Miramar, where there are cities separated by long stretches of cover-free areas, making vehicle-use more important. Personally, I think they added too many cities and there are too many buildings, especially since a lot of the buildings have multiple stories and a lot of rooms on each layer. I'm afraid this will encourage camping and very passive gameplay (imagine a Pochinki or Pecado experience at most every named location on the map).
-The footsteps & tire tracks in the snow mechanic is implemented and works as expected (tracks last a short time and are visible to all players). Unfortunately, this seems like a system that must have taken significant resources to implement, but ends up having 0 impact on gameplay. PUBG is mostly about medium/long distance engagements, using buildings & cover effectively, and utilizing sound queues for close quarters engagements. Footprints in the snow just don't make a difference in how people actually play this game.
-It is possible to get 'below' or 'outside' the map due to clipping issues, which allows you to see through walls and even shoot players while you run around in the negative-zone. It will be interesting to see if BlueHole fixes this before the map goes to the Live Servers (they have a history of allowing high-impact bugs like this to make it from the Test Server to the Live Server).
-The loot spawns on this map seem dramatically different & worse than any of the other maps:
| *You will find more SMG's in 1 building compound than you would in the entirety of Erangel.
| *You will find 10 times the normal amount of Sniper Rifle/DMR mods, but you will never find an actual Sniper Rifle or DMR.
| *AR mags and Frag Grenades have become like blood diamonds in value/scarcity.
| *Vehicles are too rare compared to how important they seem to be for this Miramar-style map.
-BlueHole decided to only allow Squad games on the Test Server, probably because they were concerned that not enough people would install the Test Server to quickly fill up lobbies in all 3 modes. But if their goal is to get feedback on how the map plays, they need to enable all modes. Squads plays very differently from Solos and Duos, and it really sucks to force players to try the new map as a 1-Man Squad or with random teammates if they don't have a Squad to play with.

New Gun
-The G36C seems like the obvious 'Best .556 AR' on the map, comparable to the AUG in terms of stability and recoil. I would not be surprised if it gets nerfed.

New Vehicle
-The snowmobile is a fun 2-person vehicle with good acceleration and turning while driving on snow, and a scooter-like experience when driving off snow.
-It only reaches a max speed of ~ 80 km/h on the snow on even terrain, which feels a little slower than what you would expect (I was hoping for the same risk/reward as the 2-man motorcycle in terms of Top Speed).
-Bringing one to the top of the mountain in the middle of the map and then driving downhill is a fun/suicidal experience.
-Traditional vehicles handle noticeably worse on snow and ice. This is interesting because it encourages players in vehicles to use the in-game roads, which will maybe add a new dynamic between players with vehicles who have much more mobility versus players on foot who can more reliably set up ambushes along the side of the road and at intersections.

New Blue Zone
-The change to the Blue Zone timings and speeds is dramatic, and I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about it.
-My initial reaction is that the new zones slow down the game too much, giving players WAY too much time at the start of the game (the first circle doesn't finish closing until 11:30 into the round, and still does so little damage that it can be tanked for a LONG time with minimal healing).
-Games take about 30 minutes to get a Chicken Dinner, which is obviously much longer than Sanhok and only a little shorter than Erangel/Miramar.
-My preference would be to see Blue Zone mechanics standardized between all maps, large & small.

New Red Zone
-Remove the red zone. That is the only way to 'fix' it. Making it spawn towards the edge of the zone doesn't change how lovely a mechanic it is. Jesus Christ, BlueHole even removes it for their official eSports tournaments.

New Ranking/Title System
-Their 'solution' to their lovely ranking system is so lazy it's insulting. It seems like they just took the current system (getting between 1-20 points each game) but started everybody with 1 point and changed the names and jpegs associated with the score (Edit: Apparently if you already have SP from Season 1 you'll start with more than 1 point).
-It has all the same problems as the current system:
| *the calculation for how many points you earn each game is hidden and arbitrary
| *the point gain is too low for successful games. After 36 Squad games on the Test Server (10% win rate, 40% Top 10 rate, > 1 K/D), I reached 600 points. Assuming the point gain algorithm never changes, it implies I would need 350+ games to reach the highest rank ('Survivor' title at 6,000 points). That's way too many games, and better/worse players would not have much of a difference in how many matches it would take them to reach the same rank.
-Their developer post about the new system still implies that there is a hidden MMR that the game uses during matchmaking. They need to stop pretending like this is a meaningful thing and just accept that they fill servers as quickly as possible and you will have a mix of low & high skill players in all of your games.
-BlueHole seems to be missing the point that some players just wanted to be able to choose between a 'Try Hard' mode and a 'gently caress Around' mode in-game. BlueHole should have come back and either said "Sorry, that would split the player-base too much and we aren't going to do it" or said, "Alright, here's a checkbox that will group people based on whether it's checked or not (if its unchecked, stats will not be made public for that game)." Done. A ranked mode with MMRs like Overwatch or DOTA is probably unrealistic for this game.

New Replay System
-It's crazy how much detail BlueHole added to their in-game Replay System. It's such a level of detail that its almost like they thought they would replace video-editing software. But obviously that's not going to happen, so it seems like another case where a LOT of resources must have gone into these changes, and they probably are largely irrelevant.
-While adding so many features, they also broke some of the basic functionality of the Replay System:
| *It seems like the killfeed doesn't appear in Replays anymore, which is confusing while watching teams fight and not being able to tell who downed/killed who
| *The camera freaks out if you try to follow somebody who is in a vehicle (the camera becomes locked in a random direction that is not the front of the vehicle), forcing you to just follow along in Free Cam mode if you want to actually see in front of the vehicle[/list]
-This is an old complaint of mine, but changes to the Replay System should not prevent you from watching older replays. I would love to be able to save replays from crazy games and not have to worry that every time BlueHole patches the game they might prevent me watching that replay ever again. Maybe their are technical reasons why this is impossible, but backwards compatibility would be WAY more appreciated than the ability to add Instagram filters to your PUBG replay.

Misc
-There are still so many unaddressed bugs in this build. Large issues (like Floating Guns) are obviously still present, and have never been admitted to in a developer letter. Smaller issues (like not being able to jump out of the left side of the airplane without your PoV being forced back to the nose of the plane) are still present, months after being injected into the game by a new patch. When I talk about resources being spent on things that won't matter to anybody, I imagine that those resources could have been spent on these kinds of issues instead.

A lot of my thoughts lead me to believe that BlueHole is not a good developer. I imagine some people will play on the Test Server and have a series of frustrating games where they have to equip 2 Tommy Guns and fight 1v4 against a full Squad. These players might decide that they hate the new map, but really they're reacting to all of the OTHER changes that BlueHole decided to drop in to this Test Server update (because when you want to test something, you should change as many variables as possible). This is the reason why I haven't formed a final judgment on the new map; I'm not sure how much I should calculate all the non-map related changes into my opinion of it.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 9, 2018

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I must admit I don't quite see the point of having only squads on the test server.

Forces a small population of people to all play together instead of fracturing the player base. Also potentially testing server load with that map.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
New map is real fun, I like the spread out feeling but with more population clusters/less reliance on a few larger cities to force everyone to. It's White Erangel v2.0 and it is cool and good.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hockles posted:

Forces a small population of people to all play together instead of fracturing the player base. Also potentially testing server load with that map.

No, you misunderstood me: I see the point of testing only one game mode, but why would they want us to test it in the least interesting game mode?

As Discospawn said, a map design that works well for duos/squads could work terribly for solos. Does Bluehole think Squads are the most important game mode now? (I'm open to the possibility that I'm the stupid person for liking Solo over random Squads.)

Discospawn posted:

I am a crazy person, so I wrote up all my thoughts after playing on the Test Server for a couple days.

This is a cool post and I thank you for it.

E: vvvv Yeah maybe they did but my experience is the opposite. In squads, you only ever drop towns and don't even see the smaller compounds.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 10, 2018

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Because you can play squads alone but if you play solo as a squad that's cheating?

Maybe they thought squads would explore more of the map or something.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
This is one crashy test client. Twice in two games so far.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I'm pretty sure they're changing the loot spawn rates on the Test Server daily without telling us, as we've gone from no Snipers on the map to finding Kar 98s in every building.

Also, the new parachuting system is another case of something they must've spent a lot of time and effort on, and I can't imagine anybody will give a poo poo about it. Seems like they should've focused more on fixing the 2-month-old bug that reset your PoV if you jumped out the left side of the plane (WHICH IS STILL PRESENT).

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 12, 2018

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Discospawn posted:

I'm pretty sure they're changing the loot spawn rates on the Test Server daily without telling us, as we've gone from no Snipers on the map to finding Kar 98s in every building.

Also, the new parachuting system is another case of something they must've spent a lot of time and effort on, and I can't imagine anybody will give a poo poo about it. Seems like they should've focused more on fixing the 2-month-old bug that reset your PoV if you jumped out the left side of the plane (WHICH IS STILL PRESENT).

Didn't they juice the loot spawns on the other new maps when they were on test? Then dialed it back after launch? Or am I mis-remembering

I am perplexed as to how that PoV bug was there in the early days of PUBG, then they fixed it, and now it's back, but it also survived the parachute revamp. How in the gently caress?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

New chute system is weird to get used to. When going full horizontal you're going at least 40k/m faster than normal server and falling faster as well.

It also makes it a way bigger gamble to try and long drop just in a chute, your speed is around max 30-35. So you're hanging in the air a lot longer.

Feels really smooth though and I appreciate the left shift button to tilt straight down. That and the tactical roll into running when you land is pretty loving great.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Did you guys not get the memo? PUBG was fixed.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

VulgarandStupid posted:

Did you guys not get the memo? PUBG was fixed.

Sure took em a while, glad the wait is over. Nice work Bluehole, lookin forward to a jank-free BR experience. Thanks for the heads up VulgarandStupid

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Discospawn posted:

About the spawns, I found so many Tommyguns in my last play session, it was ridiculous.

I for one appreciate that they revamped the parachuting. It's arguably been broken since Early Access.
One peeve of mine is that they made it so that during free-fall, if you alt-look, it changes your direction. Once the chute deploys, it doesn't.

Also, maybe they should have kept the same fall speeds and distances?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Saw an ad on YouTube for PUBG advertising Vikendi. It featured the 3x scope with a canted red dot sight that looks like the pistol ones. Pretty cool if those are actually coming but I can only imagine how goofy that’s gonna get when combined with leaning.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Yeah the test client played that trailer when I started it up last night. Whole trailer looked to me like they mistakenly recorded a game of Ring of Elysium...

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the old parachuting mechanics used to be so drat stiff. you can now land right into some of the houses through the balcony doors its pretty cool

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I haven't tried it yet but I'm glad people are liking the parachuting. I'm sure it will take some getting used to though.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

The main thing you want to do each time is hit at least 231km/h when your chute opens to get a burst of speed down towards the ground. Similar to how 234km/h was the magic number like a year ago. WackyJacky put out his video on it yesterday or something.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

To go back to the previous discussion about a snow map, I posit the possibility of footsteps/tracks. (Also applicable to desert map.) It would radically change the game, I think in favor of hunters/runners over hiders/campers. At least vehicles ought to leave tracks, except on blacktop/concrete or ice.

Self-quoting for everyone to laugh at my prediction from January - we'll see when the map hits live, what the tracks do for gameplay.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
We actually chased down the last team/guy last night by following his footprints around the outside of the Dino Park maze.

And if this dude happened to watch his death cam, he's going to have been salty since he had knocked out the majority of two other squads prior to this (which is what made me look in that direction generally).
https://clips.twitch.tv/DeadPrettiestDogStinkyCheese

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Reposting this because it's still the chicken dinner I'm most proud of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RqCwauvzNI

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

the number one in the world cars only squad is back baby,with ANother Cars Only Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ekC2QEmjEI

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Vikendi seems good from first impressions. A bit too barren, giving it a mild case of the Miramars, but the cities are great. Especially the big one to the south. Had some exciting and very fresh-feeling fights there.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Barren? I think it's a lot denser (in terms of buildings and compounds) than Miramar or Erangel. On par with Sanhok.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Also Miramar owns :D

Excited for the new map.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

More so than on Miramar or sanhok, I find you’re using trees and rocks as cover versus hills, so it might give you the impression of being more open.

Maps great though, I was worried playing solo squads but after ripping it up as duos the compound density and town layouts feel good.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Barren? I think it's a lot denser (in terms of buildings and compounds) than Miramar or Erangel. On par with Sanhok.

There's a lot more buildings but a lot less trees. I've been playing almost exclusively Sanhok the last few months and Vikendi feels completely open (outside of the cities) compared to that.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
New map is good, too bad first person is unplayable for Australian players unless you like playing with a massive ping

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Got my first Chicken Dinner this weekend playing squads with three Chinese dudes. Still haven't got to try the new map yet :(.

Is there anything you can do about "servers are too busy" ? I seem to get that when its update or patch day, and its persistent event after patching and restarting.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Servers go down along side a patch. So while they push the patch to you, the servers are also getting patched up. Yesterday's maintenance was 8 hours so no one in the US really got to play during prime time. Their Twitter account will have when they went down and expected down time. Typically it is 2-3 hours though, not 8.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

Soarer posted:

Servers go down along side a patch. So while they push the patch to you, the servers are also getting patched up. Yesterday's maintenance was 8 hours so no one in the US really got to play during prime time. Their Twitter account will have when they went down and expected down time. Typically it is 2-3 hours though, not 8.

Thanks for that info. I've only been playing for about a month, and it was kind of a mystery to me as to why that happened.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

abigserve posted:

New map is good, too bad first person is unplayable for Australian players unless you like playing with a massive ping

Jump on PUBGOCE discord and hit up xnoop for his VPN, he's trialling it but I'm getting 140ms.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Just reinstalled PUBG after finally getting a pair of headphones and uh is the directional audio supposed to be basically broken or what. I've died multiple times because I've been lit up from short range and literally been unable to tell where I was being shot from

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

sum posted:

Just reinstalled PUBG after finally getting a pair of headphones and uh is the directional audio supposed to be basically broken or what. I've died multiple times because I've been lit up from short range and literally been unable to tell where I was being shot from

Directional audio should work, but some specific hardware/software combinations seem to give it a hard time. Try to mess with your settings and drivers a bit and see if anything changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My left and right channel cables were mixed up. It caused a lot of issues in pubg.