Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ojNa6ldjjE

Many a True Nerd takes a look at Fallout New Vegas: Incel Edition. Aka New California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

K8.0 posted:

I'll make it. There is a fundamental problem with VO. Any competent reader can read many times faster than a voice actor will speak a line. Not having voice acting allows you to pack a ton more text into a game without while maintaining respect for pacing and the player's limited time. I think it's absolutely possible for a lore-heavy game to be better off without voice acting (or with limited voice acting). That said, for 99% of games it's mostly an issue with writers feeling overly important and refusing to be concise. Bethesda is extremely guilty of this, NPCs tend to drone on and on and on saying the same poo poo repeatedly.

While much of this is true, a good voice actor can add an extra dimension of impact onto a character that is difficult if not impossible to achieve through text alone. The far bigger issue, like you said, is execution—Fallout 4 had over 110,000 voiced lines of dialogue, for instance (By comparison, New Vegas had 65,000, Fallout 3 had 40,000, Mass Effect 2 had 30,000, and GTA IV had 80,000), but so much of it was wasted because the conversation system was both woefully bad and so many speech options were the same lines of dialogue phrased in a slightly different way. Complaining about VO is really missing the forest for the trees.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

between fallout 76 and baldur's gate, i think baldur's gate had a superior online experience

Fallout: Tactics had a superior online experience.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Tactics was super fun in multiplayer, and even came with robust creation tools! My friends and I made a sp mod for it in high school where you played as Frank Horrigan in a prequel to fallout 2. You couldn't do branching dialogue trees so it was pretty straightforward, but basically you play him before his mutation when he was running around the wasteland for the president enslaving people. We thought it was pretty cool, but in hindsight it was kind of dark and really nerdy. I think it ended up being maybe 5 levels.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

ZeusCannon posted:

Which vid was this btw? Im bored at work and could use a good watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z8XHe2NoAE

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

(the real answer is because it was like that in boy and his dog and they just ripped that book/movie off wholesale and without shame, so the vault in boy and his dog being wacky and horrible means vaults in fallout are, but they had to have more than one, so they all get a gimmick that is similar but different )

It's a good gimmick to have imho. All these vaults allow for a bunch of very enjoyable stories and stuff to explore.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Anyone know if Grenadier perk for double explosion radius in 76 effects any of the legendary explosive weapons and/or missile launchers?

I feel like without it equipped I blow myself up much less with my two-shot explosive pump shotgun...

On that same note, does Demolition effect explosive legendary weapons also?

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Slayerjerman posted:

Anyone know if Grenadier perk for double explosion radius in 76 effects any of the legendary explosive weapons and/or missile launchers?

I feel like without it equipped I blow myself up much less with my two-shot explosive pump shotgun...

On that same note, does Demolition effect explosive legendary weapons also?

that's the way it worked in FO4, so almost certainly yes on both

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

just totally normally talking about Baldur's Gate in the Fallout thread

Thanks for describing some of the posts in the thread, I guess.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ojNa6ldjjE

Many a True Nerd takes a look at Fallout New Vegas: Incel Edition. Aka New California.

I remember reading about this New California mod years ago and filed it under "eh could be cool but it's probably not gonna happen" so I'm surprised it actually got finished.

I can't stand listening to the guy playing in the vid, can someone explain what makes it "Fallout: Incel Edition" is there just a lot of insufferable "hurr woman bad" dialog or something?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

There's a holiday emote pack in the atom shop that costs 2400 1200 atoms, its currently a 50% off. All it does is replace the emote bubbles with a Christmas themed pic. No new animations or sound effects.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/a6burp/dont_waste_atoms_or_real_money_on_the_holiday

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

of course there's no indication in the store of this being the case

e:
for those that missed it, their latest marketing tactic is putting brand new (i.e., previously unavailable) items on sale

what's time limited? the price? the item? both?

also for those that missed it, those prices are insane

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 17, 2018

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

That reddit thread is pretty dismal but someone mentioned a concept that i hadn’t thought about before: that some whales aren’t like ultra-rich Notch-style shut-ins but rather regular people maxing out credit cards and poo poo. Are there any good articles on that subject?

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Prop Wash posted:

That reddit thread is pretty dismal but someone mentioned a concept that i hadn’t thought about before: that some whales aren’t like ultra-rich Notch-style shut-ins but rather regular people maxing out credit cards and poo poo. Are there any good articles on that subject?

Go read some article on addiction to gambling and you'd get a pretty decent picture, it is basically the same concept.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I dont know if i need that sort of depression in my life at the moment

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Fallout 1 and 2 are somewhat unplayable due to the lack of any remake or remaster, unlike Baldur's Gate if you skip the EE stuff. Even with the widescreen patch they don't really operate at 1080p. If there were some kind of remaster for PCs and tablets they could put in better-graphics, a quest-log that actually tells you information, combat that nicks a few things from XCOM, a less-cumbersome interface, more balanced character-progression, and the 50% of Fallout 1 that was left on the cutting-room-floor due to time-constraints.

The first two games are good but not evergreen They're classics in the sense that people want to have played them but nobody wants to play them.

Yeah. I tried playing Fallout 2 a few years ago, but gave up because I ran into some bugs (?) that messed up my playthrough. Fallout 1 I don't event want to attempt, the time limit is enough to kill any interest I might have had. loving around is what I do in RPGs, I'm replaying Morrowind right now and at level 26 I've never even talked to Caius Cosades.

Remasters would be great.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Trying to think of a scummier micro transaction hustle than that emote bundle and coming up blank. Anyone? Imagine charging 24 dollars for a gif pack

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dragonstoned posted:

I can't stand listening to the guy playing in the vid, can someone explain what makes it "Fallout: Incel Edition" is there just a lot of insufferable "hurr woman bad" dialog or something?

The first hour and change of the game is basically 'nerds rule and jocks drool'- the cool doctor wise man has a few cracks about how the science guys shape the future while sportspeople just gently caress, and the bad guy of the prologue is an Enclave infiltrator who of course has influenced most of the sports-inclined kids to become his willing ISIS members. One female character calls another a 'cum dumpster', and if you're harsh on the insulter then you can say goodbye to one of your harder-hitting companions. A somewhat interesting character concept, that of a cheerful tribal who likes comic books, gets discarded in favour of a gritty-voiced edgelord. There's a lot more stuff I'm missing probably, but just lol at the idea of having to put in more thought into NC than I have to.

That said, what really killed NC for me is the fact that it's just boring as gently caress. There's sodall to do (IIRC, the creator's even said he doesn't want to include sidequests because it's a small team and effort is haaard you guys), with you locked into a path very early on, whether you side with the Enclave in the prologue, or choose between the NCR and a survivalist group later, all without having any but the smallest amount of info on the sides you'll be taking to the endgame. And on that path there is, as I said, nothing much to do, just go from setpiece to setpiece with performance-chugging horde battles that would fit Call of Duty more than Fallout.

Honestly, I'd be able to somewhat forgive NC if it was an F3 or F4 mod, but coming after New Vegas it's a massive letdown.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Donovan Trip posted:

Trying to think of a scummier micro transaction hustle than that emote bundle and coming up blank. Anyone? Imagine charging 24 dollars for a gif pack

Imagine paying money to post on an internet forum.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Donovan Trip posted:

Well anything is going to compare favorably to Star Citizen because at least Fallout 76, ostensibly, exists.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Unless you can pay hundreds of dollars for insanely OP things that don’t even exist other than the concept stage, FO76 won’t reach the scummy levels of SC anytime soon. Not for lack of trying, I’m sure...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BigglesSWE posted:

Unless you can pay hundreds of dollars for insanely OP things that don’t even exist other than the concept stage, FO76 won’t reach the scummy levels of SC anytime soon. Not for lack of trying, I’m sure...

That can be said for most things being compared to Shart Crap-izen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Star Citizen has transcended the petty grift of modern industry monetization schemes by innovating the macrotransaction.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah. I tried playing Fallout 2 a few years ago, but gave up because I ran into some bugs (?) that messed up my playthrough. Fallout 1 I don't event want to attempt, the time limit is enough to kill any interest I might have had. loving around is what I do in RPGs, I'm replaying Morrowind right now and at level 26 I've never even talked to Caius Cosades.

Remasters would be great.

The sudden nuclear annihilation in Fallout 2 is one of the things that kept me from wanting to do another playthrough. Having the game decide I was done playing was not a great feeling.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Star Citizen has transcended the petty grift of modern industry monetization schemes by innovating the macrotransaction.

I forget Star citizen is a thing because the whole grift is so retarded I can't actively believe it's really happening

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Donovan Trip posted:

I forget Star citizen is a thing because the whole grift is so retarded I can't actively believe it's really happening

It's really easier for me to assume it's an elaborate internet prank and nobody actually put real money into a thing that will never materialize.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

NofrikinfuN posted:

The sudden nuclear annihilation in Fallout 2 is one of the things that kept me from wanting to do another playthrough. Having the game decide I was done playing was not a great feeling.

Fallout 2 has a playable epilogue and even some special postgame dialogues, so I'm really not sure what you're talking about.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

exquisite tea posted:

I’m pretty sure the actual game of Star Citizen has been replaced with a new game- whoever gives Chris Roberts the most money wins

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Keeshhound posted:

Fallout 2 has a playable epilogue and even some special postgame dialogues, so I'm really not sure what you're talking about.

If you don't finish in time you get blown up. If you save right before it happens, have fun watching it happen over and over.

e: I guess it's something like 3-5 game years, but it's surprisingly easy to hit if you spend a lot of time traveling across the map and resting to heal.

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 17, 2018

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Oh yeah, I think the end boss is on a countdown. Not the best idea before the era of pre-endgame autosaves

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Donovan Trip posted:

The punchline to every joke is Star Citizen.

exquisite tea posted:

Hey, it's not just a purchase; it's a _lifestyle_.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Fallout 1 I don't event want to attempt, the time limit is enough to kill any interest I might have had.

IIRC the time limit in the original game wasn't too awful and it was later patched to be even more generous. I think it is essentially something you'd have to actively try to have gently caress you over.

TVTropes posted:

You have 150 in-game days to find the water chip. This can be postponed 100 days if you tell a group of water merchants where Vault 13 is. Next you get 500 in-game days to stop the Master's Army from invading Vault 13. If you asked for help from the water merchants you only got 400 days. This leaves the player with relatively little time to explore a pretty interesting world. Black Isle probably realized this, because the first patch removed the second limit, allowing you to Take Your Time. Some of the cities still end up being destroyed if you take too much time though.

Apparently there is a mod or unofficial patch out there to get rid of both limits.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

NofrikinfuN posted:

If you don't finish in time you get blown up. If you save right before it happens, have fun watching it happen over and over.

e: I guess it's something like 3-5 game years, but it's surprisingly easy to hit if you spend a lot of time traveling across the map and resting to heal.

I think the absolute hard datelimit was originally set to around 13 years or so. It's been fixed out in Killap's patches for FO2 so I haven't had to think about it in a while. The real killer (aside from the car bug) was the black skilldex button bug, which basically indicated your save was corrupted.

2house2fly posted:

Oh yeah, I think the end boss is on a countdown. Not the best idea before the era of pre-endgame autosaves

The Puzzle Room must have claimed so many lives in the before-time.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

NofrikinfuN posted:

There's a hardcoded time limit of 13 years, but I genuinely have no idea how you managed to meander that much.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Keeshhound posted:

There's a hardcoded time limit of 13 years, but I genuinely have no idea how you managed to meander that much.

Running back and forth across the map trying to trigger encounters, if I recall.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

exquisite tea posted:

Well anything is going to compare favorably to Star Citizen because at least Fallout 76, ostensibly, exists.

Except somehow Bethesda wants to squeeze more money in the likely short time people still will feel the siren song of 76, next to the years it took for Star Citizen to become a loving video game cult.

I'm honestly curious if people will still try to get into this shitshow in 2019. Especially after Outer Worlds, Sekiro, Metro or loving World War Z releases for likely crap survival game MMO. Especially when Forbes morons are now saying "man, maybe it could have been a better game if it waited like 2 months before release".

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Fallout franchise, and even moreso Bethesda, is a much bigger kid on the block than 4A Games or From Software.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

The Fallout franchise, and even moreso Bethesda, is a much bigger kid on the block than 4A Games or From Software.

lmao no

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

Crabtree posted:

I'm honestly curious if people will still try to get into this shitshow in 2019.

I think so. It'll probably be a small audience but the fallout trappings are enough for some folks, as this thread alone shows, along with a big world to run around in with some buds. Most won't know or care about the lovely business practices and buy it anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

They are, whether you'd like to believe it or not. Skyrim and Fallout 4 sold over 20 million copies each, which is individually probably more in total sales than every Dark Souls game combined. People who have no idea what an RPG is still know Bethesda games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

don't be delusional now