Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/katierogers/status/1074673165517893632?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Because the military industrial complex has found a nice side business selling weapons to law enforcement, and in order to do so, they need to make cops feel like every encounter with a jaywalker has a 75% chance of ending with their brutal murder.

I guarantee that cop gets 19 vocal blowjobs for every 1 "quit whining"

People virtue signaling their support for cops and white knighting the police at every turn is some of the most insufferable poo poo.

Same poo poo goes for the military. Most of them don't give a rats rear end that some stranger wants to fellate their ego every time they stop for coffee, but society keeps on keeping on until they get so built up on the gratitude of total strangers that 1 person telling them to get bent literally sends the into rages.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pellisworth posted:

The world would be a much better place if Trump was actually watching "Paris is Burning" and then came into his next public appearance attempting to vogue

I absolutely love that film and it utterly sucks that many of the people in it were murdered or killed by AIDS.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slothful Bong posted:

Driving loving sucks, most dangerous thing probably most of us do on a regular basis, and it's scary how cavalier people are towards that.

I imagine that cavalier attitude is a result of just how out of our control accidents are. It's petrifying realizing that no matter how attentive you are, there are 100 other drivers around you who could each make a split second mistake that would kill you immediately.

So instead of respecting that fear, we just straight up ignore all consequence of 2ton hunks of metal flying about this way and that, and end up with people who can get in crash after crash and not change their driving in the slightest.

I am shocked by how many people I see on a daily basis crossing the street without looking either way, much less both

Chilichimp posted:

Same poo poo goes for the military. Most of them don't give a rats rear end that some stranger wants to fellate their ego every time they stop for coffee, but society keeps on keeping on until they get so built up on the gratitude of total strangers that 1 person telling them to get bent literally sends the into rages.

If you ever want to absolutely enrage these types of people, if they pull "they fought for your freedom" tell them that WWII was the last time the US army fought to keep us free. Absolute foaming at the mouth rage

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It seems quite clear to me Mueller worships the military and is going to let anyone from it off light.

You mean to tell me that the Republican cop who helped Bush lie his way into Iraq might actually have biases and be a person and not an avatar of platonic justice like liberals on Twitter project onto him? :confused:

Mueller is professional and all but I'm not gonna hold me breath that the big players in this will face the consequences they deserve from him.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Eltoasto posted:

Q people have cracked the misspelling...

Sometimes I hope that Q really is just doing this for the hell of it, but I'm like 90% convinced it's because whoever's behind this has massive, McCain tumor size brain spiders.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Chilichimp posted:

People virtue signaling their support for cops and white knighting the police at every turn is some of the most insufferable poo poo.

At least with military people there are those who didn't go into WW2 that hate that poo poo and loving make sure that no one ever brings it up. I've yet to see one cop not love to be praised endlessly.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Slothful Bong posted:

Driving loving sucks, most dangerous thing probably most of us do on a regular basis, and it's scary how cavalier people are towards that.

I imagine that cavalier attitude is a result of just how out of our control accidents are. It's petrifying realizing that no matter how attentive you are, there are 100 other drivers around you who could each make a split second mistake that would kill you immediately.

So instead of respecting that fear, we just straight up ignore all consequence of 2ton hunks of metal flying about this way and that, and end up with people who can get in crash after crash and not change their driving in the slightest.

fresh from the cspamiest pics thread
https://twitter.com/BissonTyler/status/1074438089085468672

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

I talk to no one except people from work and my family because as it turns out, people tend to go their separate ways after school. Don't think it's that unusual, especially if you are an expat like myself

It's not unusual, but you can make friends if you want to. I've gotten to know a lot of people by volunteering.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i read up on the war criminal trump called a hero and hosed up the case about - this guy is an absolute moron. first admits to what he did in a cia interview (idiot polygraphs don't actually work you can lie) and then on a fox news special?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Because the military industrial complex has found a nice side business selling weapons to law enforcement, and in order to do so, they need to make cops feel like every encounter with a jaywalker has a 75% chance of ending with their brutal murder."
The MIC couldn't give a poo poo about the LEO market. It's tiny, and most agencies are broke as gently caress all the time.

The "EVERY JAYWALKER IS AN ESCAPED AL QAEDA NINJA!!" policies are 100% insurance driven. Getting sued by abuse victims is cheap compared to paying out for disability or death of a cop.

Your life is literally worth less than a cop's sore back.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
My brother and I got into a shouting match with my father over the summer arguing about BLM et al.

My dad is an old white news-talk-radio junkie whose post-college years were spent struggling for work in the downturn of the Carter Administration. He's a lifelong hater of democrats because of the rough time he had before Reagan and that's a shame.

Anyways. His viewpoint is essentially that the victims of police violence did something top provoke the violence and therefore deserved it. He went on to regale my brother and I about a time he was arrested for "trespassing" by visiting some friends who lived in an apartment complex that he used to work at until the owner fired him and told him he'd call the cops if he ever returned.

The cop arrested my dad who was a long-haired hippy-looking dude who grew up surfing in Florida and treated my dad like the Arlo-guthrie listening likely anti-war hippie that he appeared to be. He threatened my dad with physical beatings if he didn't just sit down and shut up while he filled out his paperwork with the landlord. My dad was basically terrorized into silence and respect for the power of this cop who told him he'd drive him into the woods and beat him unconscious.

So my dad didn't say a loving thing and told us this story about how see... you just do what they say and you come through it alright.

My loving god. He's never going to get it.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Its sad that I see this video and my first though is, "Well, at least the odds of them surviving a collision while buckled in are orders of magnitude higher than if the cops just started blasting away indiscriminately at everything....

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah that's is why i loathe driving (and all my friends make fun of me for it). if the roads were just empty all the time i'd have to problem but people are so loving dumb i could get wiped out by some random idiot even if i do everything correctly.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The MIC couldn't give a poo poo about the LEO market. It's tiny, and most agencies are broke as gently caress all the time.

The "EVERY JAYWALKER IS AN ESCAPED AL QAEDA NINJA!!" policies are 100% insurance driven. Getting sued by abuse victims is cheap compared to paying out for disability or death of a cop.

Your life is literally worth less than a cop's sore back.

Mods please change my name to ESCAPED AL QAEDA NINJA

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Put these poo poo heads in charge of a giant "I HAVE A SMALL PENIS AND WANT YOU TO FEAR ME" Ford Truck and that's what I drive with every goddamn day. Jackasses that need to speed up just to merge in front of you and gently caress you for driving the speed limit! I NEED TO SPEED UP TO THAT RED GODDAMN LIGHT! ME! ME! ME! FIRST!

And as soon as they get there, suddenly they drive slow, they don't know which turn is theirs and they merge back and forth, then they miss it and try to break traffic just because I WANNA YELL AT SOMEONE AT SAMS GODDAMN IT.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 17, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

AceOfFlames posted:

I mean, what would be the end game of telecommuting? People telecommuting to school then work and then never leaving their homes? If they live in places far away from cities, they will be isolated for life. And with rising house prices no one will be able to move and go back to multiple generation households. It will be a nightmare hybrid of Surrogates and Dogtooth.

Just this week I learned that "the huddling place" isn't actually a stand alone short story but is actually just chapter 2 of a novel about the future history of telepathic dogs.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
People without good mass transit don't understand how good it is to bracket work hours with two periods of absolutely nothing that needs doing and no responsibilities beyond periodically checking if it's your stop.

Also the end result of telecommuting is going to be that Asimov novel where each person lives alone in a multi-square-mile estate, served by an army of robots and having a mental breakdown if they find themselves in the same room as someone else.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Because the military industrial complex has found a nice side business selling weapons to law enforcement, and in order to do so, they need to make cops feel like every encounter with a jaywalker has a 75% chance of ending with their brutal murder.

I guarantee that cop gets 19 vocal blowjobs for every 1 "quit whining"

Oh absolutely, this person went on for like 5 minutes about the various accolades and "thank you for your service" bullshit from white people as if she single-handedly liberated a city from MS13. Also, that I live in a "bad neighborhood" because a lot of the people she arrests are from where I live. I live in a neighborhood with a lot of Latino, Muslim, and African immigrants and I walk everywhere and never felt unsafe. Lol, the other day I helped an older Haitian woman chase down the citizenship application she got from the library as it was blowing down the street and she told me she told me that God would bless me. That is the kind of people I live with. So I was also quick to correct her that I do not live in an unsafe neighborhood, our crime rate is actually really low and decreasing every year. It was like she got slapped with a trout.

In the midterms, an elderly Somali woman worked with a bunch of volunteers I helped out with to bring a lot of people to the polls. She translated for us and we helped them with their voting registrations, transportation, and polling information. She slapped the hood of her beat up minivan like that stupid care salesman meme and proclaimed she was going to fit so many votes in there. My neighborhood is loving awesome and I hate that I am moving next year to live closer to my work.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

AceOfFlames posted:

I talk to no one except people from work and my family because as it turns out, people tend to go their separate ways after school. Don't think it's that unusual, especially if you are an expat like myself

I know this may come as a surprise to you but its normal for people to meet others and become friends/date by playing sports, going to church, visiting dog parks, and engaging in various other social hobbies like cosplaying or competitive eating.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1074702063874072576

https://twitter.com/patrick_hruby/status/1074360501734436867

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 17, 2018

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

friendbot2000 posted:

She slapped the hood of her beat up minivan like that stupid care salesman meme and proclaimed she was going to fit so many votes in there.

I love this lady

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/vermontgmg/status/1074623888766713857

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Whose?

Squalid posted:

I know this may come as a surprise to you but its normal for people to meet others and become friends/date by playing sports, going to church, visiting dog parks, and engaging in various other social hobbies like cosplaying or competitive eating.

AceOfFlames is severely depressed.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This one's been pissing me off all morning because I don't know how someone involved in conservation work could possible have picked Trump.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

AceOfFlames posted:

Between this and that weird borderline-sociopathic post where you mention that you don't see value in "pets" I am really concerned for you. Have you started seeing a therapist?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This one's been pissing me off all morning because I don't know how someone involved in conservation work could possible have picked Trump.

They probably hated brown people more than they loved butterflies.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It seems quite clear to me Mueller worships the military and is going to let anyone from it off light.

well as much as i respect this hot take, the only thing under mueller's purview (so far as we know) is the false statements charges. first time offenders, even ones who were extremely unhelpful and the government hates like papadopoulos, fall into a 0-6 month sentencing guideline and getting no time is hardly abnormal

turns out Flynn is not necessarily off the hook unless there's another agreement with EDVA to cooperate that we haven't seen

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1074706277035581444

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

AceOfFlames posted:

I mean, what would be the end game of telecommuting? People telecommuting to school then work and then never leaving their homes? If they live in places far away from cities, they will be isolated for life. And with rising house prices no one will be able to move and go back to multiple generation households. It will be a nightmare hybrid of Surrogates and Dogtooth.

Not against telecommuting but it's not the end all be all.

It also ties you to your job. If you telecommute and move to a place with cheap cost of living, where you live wont have many job prospects, unless you can find a job that let's you do it on day 1. Most places need you to come in every day for a while before you start telecommuting.

But you can work in pajamas, so upsides and dowsides.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Your Taint posted:

They probably hated brown people more than they loved butterflies.

Yes, and he's also incredibly stupid apparently. It's a common theme.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

there has been a grand total of one party that has even pretended to give a poo poo about the world outside a major metropolitan area for the last thirty years

the result is that if you're in the middle of nowhere, and you're politically engaged at all, the only way to feel like you're being listened to at all is to convince yourself that no, really, republicans care about me

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I can't believe the leopards would eat my face build a wall through my butterfly paradise.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

there has been a grand total of one party that has even pretended to give a poo poo about the world outside a major metropolitan area for the last thirty years

the result is that if you're in the middle of nowhere, and you're politically engaged at all, the only way to feel like you're being listened to at all is to convince yourself that no, really, republicans care about me

The author lives in a metro area of about 1.5 million people. Regardless, conservation is a political issue, and the party advocating for it is not the one you're talking about.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

being into conservation and supporting the only major political party on earth that denies climate change is next level stupidity.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

being into conservation and supporting the only major political party on earth that denies climate change is next level stupidity.

no argument here

but in a local political world where the only people who are so much as gesturing at conservation are republicans talking about how we need to protect deer season, you get what your Pragmatic Allocation Of Resources pays for

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Meatball posted:

It also ties you to your job. If you telecommute and move to a place with cheap cost of living, where you live wont have many job prospects, unless you can find a job that let's you do it on day 1. Most places need you to come in every day for a while before you start telecommuting.

But you can work in pajamas, so upsides and dowsides.

It’s really something you have to adapt to. I previously spent a good 2 or 3 hours a day at my office job dicking around on the Internet. Still do at my telecommute job, but because I’m in my bathrobe with my dog next to me on the couch, there’s a sense of “I cannot believe this is legal”.

I get to sleep late because I don’t have to get dressed or anything, but also I have to schedule showers now because the telecommuting aspect has also meant I average 5 hours of meetings a day and sometimes in nonstop blocks. But I can also just take the dog on a half hour walk whenever I have that gap, and I don’t have to sing happy birthday in the common area. But also I’m starved for human contact, so even going to the grocery store after work is a treat. But also I go down to the local a few nights a week after work to force myself out among humans, and that’s had a nice salutary effect on my mood as well.

It’s a mixed bag. I can’t complain too much, but I do find myself having to actively do some of the things that office jobs come with naturally.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Between this and that weird borderline-sociopathic post where you mention that you don't see value in "pets" I am really concerned for you. Have you started seeing a therapist?

Multiple for several years. I am getting better though.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I love this lady

She really was the loving best human. She told us that she wanted to "vote out all the fassists" and would tell us absolute nightmare stories about her childhood in Somalia and how she came to this country. She has 3 daughters and 2 sons and was so worried that they would get their naturalization taken away because "that is how evil happens. It comes in the night when you are asleep". I got the sense there was a history behind that statement.

She demanded we all call her "Awoowe" which translates to grandmama in Somali and would bring tasty Somali dishes to our planning meets like a real gramma haha.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Robert Browning posted:

There’s a great text in Galatians,
Once you trip on it, entails
Twenty-nine distinct damnations,
One sure, if another fails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Idiot cop puts a whole bunch of other people's livelihood in danger.