Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
it's amazing the shield is three years old and still so expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I thought this thread would get a kick out of this Tech Report article.

quote:

Today's story really begins with the details of the three different PCs that did everything and the one PC that brought them all together.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Not really HTPC talk, but this is where I usually get info about this stuff. Anyone have anything to say comparing the Logitech Smart Control to the Companion?

My Harmony 880 seems dead. I have a Google Home, Nest thermostat, Philips Hue, a smart TV, a smart receiver, a PS4, and a Switch. I watch stuff on Plex and Netflix.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

wolfbiker posted:

it's amazing the shield is three years old and still so expensive.

It's because its good.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

It's because its good.

I know, I have one, but I'd have more if they were cheaper. I do like the new Fire Stick 4K with the TV power and volume buttons, though, which is what I used instead.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Speaking of...the Shield is $140 at Amazon and other places now.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah just buy it already you dummies

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
At this point I'm rooting for Microsoft to quit on OneGuide so a Shield is an easy sell to my wife.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
How's Roku's media player? I've been thinking I need a nas with Plex, but if I can just connect an external drive with my ripped DVD's, that works too.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
My wife wants to sell crap on Facebook live streaming. The last time I've dealt with video capture was building a HDTV 14 years ago when Hauppauge was king. What are the cool kids using now to capture HDMI off a camera?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

kid sinister posted:

My wife wants to sell crap on Facebook live streaming. The last time I've dealt with video capture was building a HDTV 14 years ago when Hauppauge was king. What are the cool kids using now to capture HDMI off a camera?

She should just use her phone and also stop doing MLMs.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

She should just use her phone and also stop doing MLMs.

Agreed on both points. Also if it is an MLM (it's an MLM) you are better off just going with the phone you probably have and not investing in a bunch of video production stuff because hoo-boy are you in for a financial ride.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I bet it's the decal manicures one

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Some form of Oils, or Rodan+Fields would be my guess, if my useless feed is any guide.

I know this isn't really "HTPC" related, but then neither is video capture for Facebook live, and this sub-forum is kind of slow, so....

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Ixian posted:

Some form of Oils, or Rodan+Fields would be my guess, if my useless feed is any guide.

I know this isn't really "HTPC" related, but then neither is video capture for Facebook live, and this sub-forum is kind of slow, so....

Maybe it's Scentsy, the melty smell wax one

Bet it ain't Lularoe lol

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Sorry but no MLM. It's actually lady's fashion and other stuff she liquidates. I didn't believe how much someone in Kazakhstan will spend for a Michael Kors purse that isn't a Chinese knock off. People are stupid.

Ixian posted:

Agreed on both points. Also if it is an MLM (it's an MLM) you are better off just going with the phone you probably have and not investing in a bunch of video production stuff because hoo-boy are you in for a financial ride.

I told her that several times, but she's pretty far along with that. The studio, the lights, the mikes, the camera... I'm just looking for advice on how to get that video into a PC for streaming.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 7, 2018

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Maybe check with people who stream video games. I think OBS is the software you want.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Just got a Shield. First setup screen says to press the button on the remote. It doesn't do anything. Holding the button starts the blue light on top blinking and then the screen says "Shield remote failed to connect."

Reset the device but didn't work. There's no pairing button or anything on device either. Any ideas?

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
I was hoping my Shield would replace my Chromecast but turns out you can't cast Netflix from Android phones to the Shield :wtc:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why do you need to cast anything? Just install the Netflix app.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

My Xbone, which I use for OTA TV and all the streaming services, and which my wife likes because Kinect voice commands are very useful when the remote disappears and you have two young kids, has decided it's just not going to connect to XBL when it starts anymore. And apparently your OneGuide listings showing up at all depends on being connected to XBL.

So I might finally be making the Shield jump. Tempted to trial-run a MiBox first just to see if AndroidTV works well enough in concert with voice commands via a Google Home Mini

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There is no substitute for the Shield, I know its considerably more money, but its definitely worth it.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

My Xbone, which I use for OTA TV and all the streaming services, and which my wife likes because Kinect voice commands are very useful when the remote disappears and you have two young kids, has decided it's just not going to connect to XBL when it starts anymore. And apparently your OneGuide listings showing up at all depends on being connected to XBL.

So I might finally be making the Shield jump. Tempted to trial-run a MiBox first just to see if AndroidTV works well enough in concert with voice commands via a Google Home Mini

What's gonna happen here is, you're going to get a MiBox, you're gonna like some things about it and wonder why anyone bothers with the Shield, etc. etc. and then somewhere between, I'm guessing, 2 to 6 weeks later you are going to get a Shield anyway after the dust settles.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

codo27 posted:

There is no substitute for the Shield, I know its considerably more money, but its definitely worth it.

ATV4k is flawless, especially if you set up an Automator macro to auto-resign and install Kodi on a regular basis, or just shell out for Infuse.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm mostly just curious how voice commands via a live mic like a Google Home Mini work with AndroidTV compared to Kinect.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

bobfather posted:

ATV4k is flawless, especially if you set up an Automator macro to auto-resign and install Kodi on a regular basis, or just shell out for Infuse.

Apple TV is flawless if you gently caress around with it so its possible to install useful apps. No thanks.

Android = google, so on any quality device (not cheap china poo poo) your voice commands should be fine. I only just bought a Home Mini for the gf for Christmas so I guess I'll see how all that works with the Shield then.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As he said, you can just shell out for Infuse. It's on the App Store. Plex is also there and free. I guess if you really need Kodi, then yeah, you have to gently caress around with it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Endless Mike posted:

Why do you need to cast anything? Just install the Netflix app.

Casting is a nice interface, especially if you're wanting to just skip around between things because you can browse for the next thing while something is playing. Plus there's just no technical reason it shouldn't work the same. I can cast from the app to an Xbox, not being able to do it on a Google powered device just seems silly.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
All these posts in the thread got me excited but none were about my question! I tried to Google the exact wording of the error about the shield not connecting to the remote and got no results. The website listed on the setup screen is https://www.nvda.co/connect but that provides no info.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

I'm mostly just curious how voice commands via a live mic like a Google Home Mini work with AndroidTV compared to Kinect.

Better in many ways. And different. Your wife is going to have to do some adjusting at first...but pull the bandaid now or later, you know the Kinect solution isn't going to be viable forever. Google Home is decent enough. Also don't worry about security, Google double-pinky swore they won't use their cloud powered voice robot to spy on you.

The irony is voice control is one of the few things MS almost got right with the Kinect. I think the initial bad reaction to the XBone and its perceived lack of focus at launch to the Holy Land of the Gamer scared them too much in the opposite direction, but water under the bridge and all that.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

All these posts in the thread got me excited but none were about my question! I tried to Google the exact wording of the error about the shield not connecting to the remote and got no results. The website listed on the setup screen is https://www.nvda.co/connect but that provides no info.

Which remote do you have? Is it fully charged? If it's the round battery version, did you pull the plastic tab out? Other than that, I have no ideas.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
There's a way to reset the remote too but I don't remember which combination of buttons does it, and I can't find the post on tbe shield forums where someone told me what it was.

My least favorite thing about the Shield is the remote. It's been very buggy and unreliable for me.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
An Amazon TV remote or a Harmony or even just using CEC solves that easily enough though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

EC posted:

My least favorite thing about the Shield is the remote. It's been very buggy and unreliable for me.

The remote is one of my favorite things, the size and feel of it. I haven't had an issue for far, but it does seem like there may be a couple QC issues along the line somewhere.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Endless Mike posted:

Why do you need to cast anything?

Because it's convenient to pull out my phone and say "OK Google, play Frasier on my TV". And I expect that to work on the Shield like it did with the Chromecast.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just wondering how you achieve that? Are you playing it off a NAS or is there a service I dont know about you can watch it on?

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

codo27 posted:

Just wondering how you achieve that? Are you playing it off a NAS or is there a service I dont know about you can watch it on?

If you were responding to my post, Frasier is on Netflix; the Google Assistant AI figures that out and just made it work on ny Chromecast+TV.

Anyway this is hopefully resolved soon, just one of those weird usability surprises from a device that's much more sophisticated than a Chromecast.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sorry I forgot about Canadian netflix where all we can watch is loving maple syrup slowly oozing from a tree, Degrassi and Beasties.

How does Frasier look on netflix? I've been waiting for a HD release.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

wolfbiker posted:

Which remote do you have? Is it fully charged? If it's the round battery version, did you pull the plastic tab out? Other than that, I have no ideas.

It's the battery one. The pairing light starts blinking on the top of it if I hold the button down so it's at least charged enough for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LinYutang posted:

If you were responding to my post, Frasier is on Netflix; the Google Assistant AI figures that out and just made it work on ny Chromecast+TV.

Anyway this is hopefully resolved soon, just one of those weird usability surprises from a device that's much more sophisticated than a Chromecast.

This is seriously the best part about having a Google Home setup and a Chromecast in my bedroom. I walk in, say "Hey Google, watch <whatever Netflix show I'm falling asleep to this week>" and my TV turns on and starts playing.

If only it could turn off the TV as well, but AFAIK that's just my TV having half-assed CEC support. Sleep timer does the trick as long as I remember to set it.