Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yes.

All her family comics are just pure joy.

I wouldnt say they're all joy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Kate Beaton is one of those marvellous people you can point to and declare that the world is a better place because they are in it.

Posts like this are a good reminder that goons ran some lady who makes webcomics off the forums because they're creepy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ArtIsResistance posted:

Posts like this are a good reminder that goons ran some lady who makes webcomics off the forums because they're creepy

Actually she left because she got bored

:goonsay:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

BioEnchanted posted:

I know a lot of people have given up on Gunnerkrigg Court due to it's slow pace, but it's currently in the middle of a neat arc where Coyote has given Ysengrin his strength, only for Ysengrin to immediately go mad and eat him, absorbing all the rest of his powers and his own stolen memories, becoming the deranged entity Loup. Powerful enough to literally close the chasm that Coyote rent between the forest and the court, and using seeds he smuggled into the court to wreak massive damage to it, as well as having a conversation with Antimony that seemed like a few hours but he actually kept her for a few months. Now at the court there is a new Antimony that she thinks may be an imposter, but a neat thing is that no one cares, because as far as they are concerned they are both "real". I like that treatment of that cliche, that no one is accusing either of them of being fake, just "Well, now there are two of them, let's see how this pans out..."

Also Jones is wearing a towel because the new character punched her into space when she tried to follow Antimony, and her clothes burned up on reentry.

Gunnerkrigg Court, Kill Six Billion Demons, and Stand Still Stay Silent are the only three webcomics I follow. Gunnerkrigg has always had a slow pace, except now the plot feels like it's finally coming to a head, and it continues being extremely good

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Karate Bastard posted:

Too bad. You're getting cats.

:3:

Kit Walker posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court, Kill Six Billion Demons, and Stand Still Stay Silent are the only three webcomics I follow. Gunnerkrigg has always had a slow pace, except now the plot feels like it's finally coming to a head, and it continues being extremely good

I caught myself seeing "meanwhile" and reciting to myself "meanwhile, in the Dimension of Pain", and realized that's a catchphrase lodged in my head from Sluggy Freelance, which I hadn't followed in at least a decade.

I've just stopped reading Sinfest a week ago (I usually catch up on weekends, and just realized I don't care to anymore). That leaves me with Penny Arcade (I know), Order of the Stick (why?), xkcd (meh), SMBC Comics, and, of course, Oglaf.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Because order of the stick is good?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Johnny Aztec posted:

Because order of the stick is good?

its just ok
it was better a while ago

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
8-Bit Theater is the only good thing Brian Clevinger has ever done. His book Nuklear Age was poo poo -- with rape jokes and puns and a sudden dramatic and awkward shift in tone at the end! -- and Atomic Robo is basically Hellboy with groanworthy "wackiness" and techbro worship including multiple glowing mentions of noted pedophile Elon Musk.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Screaming Idiot posted:

8-Bit Theater is the only good thing Brian Clevinger has ever done. His book Nuklear Age was poo poo -- with rape jokes and puns and a sudden dramatic and awkward shift in tone at the end! -- and Atomic Robo is basically Hellboy with groanworthy "wackiness" and techbro worship including multiple glowing mentions of noted pedophile Elon Musk.

Atomic Robo owns and it's been awhile since I've read it but I don't remember much Musk praise? :psyduck:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Krankenstyle posted:

I wouldnt say they're all joy...

True, the ones about the sister’s illness and death are heartbreaking but still full of love.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Len posted:

Atomic Robo owns and it's been awhile since I've read it but I don't remember much Musk praise? :psyduck:

Read Hellboy. Mike Mignola's a better writer and artist.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Besesoth posted:

Read Hellboy. Mike Mignola's a better writer and artist.

Yes. Absolutely Hellboy is fantastic. Robo doesn't really try to be Hellboy though?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Even 8BT falls apart pretty badly towards the end.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Len posted:

Yes. Absolutely Hellboy is fantastic. Robo doesn't really try to be Hellboy though?

All I can say is that every time I've tried to read Atomic Robo my impression has been "this is like if the 8-Bit Theater guy tried to write Hellboy". :shrug:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ultrafilter posted:

Even 8BT falls apart pretty badly towards the end.

Oh, absolutely, which is why I'm glad it ended when it did. Clevinger doesn't know how to loving end a story without breaking it. Like, I get he's trying to make the twists that much more effective, but the tonal shift from the previous parts of the story combined with his habit of making his characters act extremely out of character for the sake of drama or the twist itself really puts me off his work.

Clevinger's the kind of guy who, if he was writing an episode of the Superman cartoon, would have the twist in an episode about a bank heist be Superman accidentally killing the robber and then going into a villain killing spree afterward because if he went off the deep end, hey, may as well do some good, prompting Batman to shoot him in the back of the head with a kryptonite pistol in Crime Alley.

And he'd be making the same jokes that were funny the first time he told them before, and are supposed to be funnier still because now it's a Real Serious Comic Book Man saying them instead of a Final Fantasy sprite.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Len posted:

Last that I read, there was a semi-unflatering portrayal of Richard Branson as a Billionaire Home Owners Association.

Also they treated 'Science Nerd' icon Carl Sagan as a vindictive bastard, and the titular character's intellectual arch enemy.

It'd be odd that their irreverence for every non-Nikola Tesla public figure wouldn't extend to tech douche, even before the pedo comments and self-implosion.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I'm not saying he has to write predictably, of course. But there's happy medium between "and the heroes beat Joker, who escaped once again, but they all laugh and things go back to normal" and "and then the apocalypse happens, and the goofy hero character is actually the son of a god of destruction who suddenly acts super serious despite nothing else in the story showing him being able to be serious."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Last that I read, there was a semi-unflatering portrayal of Richard Branson as a Billionaire Home Owners Association.

Also they treated 'Science Nerd' icon Carl Sagan as a vindictive bastard, and the titular character's intellectual arch enemy.

It'd be odd that their irreverence for every non-Nikola Tesla public figure wouldn't extend to tech douche, even before the pedo comments and self-implosion.

It's been years but did he pop up again after the time he teamed up with Robo to fight lovecraftian horrors?

I stopped reading around the Pacific Rim/Evangelion storyline

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Pretty sure that was Stephen Hawking. Carl Sagan helped Robo blast some entity from beyond the fifth dimension with a weird ray gun.

That said, the new Byzantine arc that they're doing is great, and non-Robo related.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

McKilligan posted:

Pretty sure that was Stephen Hawking. Carl Sagan helped Robo blast some entity from beyond the fifth dimension with a weird ray gun.

That said, the new Byzantine arc that they're doing is great, and non-Robo related.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
https://imgur.com/gallery/Is97gLt

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Dr. Dinosaur makes kid-me giggle. I know it's lowbrow, but I still enjoy it. And in the end, that's what really matters.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Should say "Chief will be fine Chief"

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Slimy Hog posted:

:hmmyes:

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Slimy Hog posted:

He's clearly not a "person", it would seem.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Why are Lucca from Chrono Trigger and smaller Lucca clone trying to break into that building?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

they're clearly 1920s rugby players you fuckin nerd.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ArtIsResistance posted:

Len posted:

Actually she left because she got bored

:goonsay:

Just once I'd like to see Kate Beaton be mentioned anywhere on the forums without these literal exact same posts being made.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Fister Roboto posted:

Just once I'd like to see Kate Beaton be mentioned anywhere on the forums without these literal exact same posts being made.

you are literally trash

unlike daisy owl

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Fister Roboto posted:

I had to point it out, it's what you do.

Like making a helicopter joke about John Landis anytime Max comes up

Or making a "more like old______less"

Some things just have to happen :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Len posted:

Or making a "more like old______less"

Are you saying we should stop doing that??

More like oldOldPainlessless

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Are you saying we should stop doing that??

More like oldOldPainlessless

No because they're always funny and someday I hope to be the guy to make the joke. It's my forums dream.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit: wrong thread

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Len posted:

No because they're always funny and someday I hope to be the guy to make the joke. It's my forums dream.

I've done it a couple times, and I gotta tell ya, it's pretty great :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Randaconda posted:

edit: wrong thread

more like oldrandacondapostless