Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Fwiw I will probably close this thread in a week

that's dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Parasocial relationships make people legit go crazy

Didn't know the term for this off hand so thanks for that. Was really torn up about all this yesterday and even moreso over the fact that I knew it was stupid because it was parasocial. It's always "fun" when you know about a think loving you up but that doesn't really help prevent it from happening, like seasonal depression.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
https://twitter.com/MattMcMuscles/status/1074688461834199040

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking of seasonal depression, I'm about a month away from mine, and I got just a little bit extra bummed I won't have some long and dumb SBF lp to help fight it.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Brightman posted:

Didn't know the term for this off hand so thanks for that. Was really torn up about all this yesterday and even moreso over the fact that I knew it was stupid because it was parasocial. It's always "fun" when you know about a think loving you up but that doesn't really help prevent it from happening, like seasonal depression.

I think parasocial relationships are legit reasons to get attached to people. I don't think it's wrong, stupid, or invalid to care about someone you know and like, however you got there. Parasocial relationships are only really a problem when weirdos start thinking it's like an actual friendship.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/WoolieWoolz/status/1074729094745600001

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Phantasium posted:

all i see is a bunch of retweets and one gif that he deleted (but then reposted when people wanted to know what it is) that implies he saw this coming

Check his replies. A weird chuddite is trying to blame him for gloating about the breakup and its lame.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

hoobajoo posted:

I think parasocial relationships are legit reasons to get attached to people. I don't think it's wrong, stupid, or invalid to care about someone you know and like, however you got there. Parasocial relationships are only really a problem when weirdos start thinking it's like an actual friendship.

Yeah and there's a bunch of weirdos online. I saw a lot of people pour one out in this thread with their own stories of how the channel got them through a tough time and thats good. But people are going off on social media and its gnarly out there.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

hoobajoo posted:

I just meant it felt stupid because of how much it torn me up, like I didn't think they were actually my friends, but they remind me of some real life friends I have so maybe that was part of it.

I've got that playlist saved and have only gotten a few episodes into the LP so I guess should watch through that next. I'm a little lucky in that I only found about them around the Bloodborne LP so there's a gently caress ton of backlog I can watch but I wonder if this will sour it at all.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Yeah and there's a bunch of weirdos online. I saw a lot of people pour one out in this thread with their own stories of how the channel got them through a tough time and thats good. But people are going off on social media and its gnarly out there.

yeah, I cannot even imagine what it must be like to be going through a very personal kind of sadness and having a massive online public that believes they have some kind of right to it too. Like, this is an intimate breakdown of a friendship between three people and for some reason a couple thousand people on twitter think they also deserve a spot at the table.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Rodyle posted:

Tbh I think you should give it 2 week at least, enough so that the new podcast can be up and running.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
On the pat/liam tweet thing it doesn't really sound like anyone's in the wrong there. Pat tried honestly reaching out and liam didn't lead him on, act receptive, or put up false pretenses. I've been on the liam side of that exchange more than I care to admit and I can't blame him for how he responded. I will say that this does make me a bit more empathetic towards the people that have tried to reach out to me in the past, and I'm probably more likely to respond positively to those attempts in the future. Liam getting into a big twitter fight about how he was in the right and pat in the wrong is a bit weird though.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Personally if you're going to reach out to someone like that. Don't do it in the public sphere imo. Reach out with a personal message, text, or something more private.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Personally if you're going to reach out to someone like that. Don't do it in the public sphere imo. Reach out with a personal message, text, or something more private.

Yeah, I think the issue is that this is a really touchy personal thing playing out in the public sphere

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I just accidentally fell backwards into a brief twitter scuffle with a dude about how "we aged with them, the intros come and invite us in to play them" as reasons they have a personal stake in this

this poo poo ain't healthy

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
I agree! There are better ways Pat could have reached out. I just don't feel it was necessarily a douche-y move made with negative intentions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The "parasocial relationship" thing only becomes a problem when your thought is 'how could they do this to me', otherwise it's fine and is completely normal and it's real annoying for people to act aloof and pretend it's a weird concept for weirdos.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Charlie Bobson posted:

I agree! There are better ways Pat could have reached out. I just don't feel it was necessarily a douche-y move made with negative intentions.

Anything you do publicly brings in your fanbase/followers and since its not private you are basically allowing them to chime in as well. Maybe it wasn't an unintentional douche move, but he should know better.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, close the thread if you want but someone should make a new one for the rebirth of the podcast and the individual channels' vids at least. As heinous as the Giant Bomb thread is, it's an example of how following a main site/group and also their individual material is an appropriate subject for a thread in this subforum. Super Best Friends Play is done but the zaibatsu is still making stuff worth talking about.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CJacobs posted:

The "parasocial relationship" thing only becomes a problem when your thought is 'how could they do this to me',

I think that is what most people are referring to when they say parasocial relationship as shorthand

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

frankly it never made sense to me that this thread is solely in the podcast forum

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Check his replies. A weird chuddite is trying to blame him for gloating about the breakup and its lame.

oh well that's twitter. i thought that post was implying liam was doing something or whatever

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think that is what most people are referring to when they say parasocial relationship as shorthand

That's fair, I just don't want it to become yet another annoying goon shorthand for "you care too much, unlike me who does NOT care too much :smug:"

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I just accidentally fell backwards into a brief twitter scuffle with a dude about how "we aged with them, the intros come and invite us in to play them" as reasons they have a personal stake in this

this poo poo ain't healthy

Haha I always saw the invitation in the fisticuffs intro as endearingly corny, shoulda figured some people actually took it seriously.

They’ll get over it, probably. The guys taking it sow for a few weeks would be for the best, let things cool down.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Charlie Bobson posted:

Liam getting into a big twitter fight about how he was in the right and pat in the wrong is a bit weird though.

I'm...pretty sure this didn't actually happen?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Charlie Bobson posted:

On the pat/liam tweet thing it doesn't really sound like anyone's in the wrong there. Pat tried honestly reaching out and liam didn't lead him on, act receptive, or put up false pretenses. I've been on the liam side of that exchange more than I care to admit and I can't blame him for how he responded. I will say that this does make me a bit more empathetic towards the people that have tried to reach out to me in the past, and I'm probably more likely to respond positively to those attempts in the future. Liam getting into a big twitter fight about how he was in the right and pat in the wrong is a bit weird though.

I think we can agree that Crymetina should have stayed the gently caress out of it. Someone else's S/O jumping in on a situation that doesn't involve them is going to just piss everyone off (Pat def should've done it privately tho, as already pointed out).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah nah I'm not particularly interested in blaming crymetina for anything thanks

if pat was dumb enough to blunder into that exchange after like two years of liam very clearly not wanting to do anything with him he deserves to be dragged

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's possible she's privy to a bit more on what caused the friction - I can see the urge to vent/speak up if you know someone who's hurt/been lovely to friends or acquaintances and is basically repeating those behaviours. At the same time I don't think it really helped anything, and I generally don't like these sorts of subtweeting scenarios cause all it does is lead to more speculating and drama.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Charlie Bobson posted:

Wait what are we talking about?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Pat asking liam if he wants to play warframe together I guess?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rodyle posted:

u should do this now

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

https://archive.is/Amax1
https://archive.is/tNtpv

https://twitter.com/RSSLiam/status/1074703364905205760

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah I went and just looked it up.

Man this is just....ugh. What sucks is I feel like there's probably not even any big shocking dramatic reveal waiting here, I don't get the impression that somebody dropped a slur or threatened somebody's wife or something big or extravagant like that to lead to this breakup. This feels like they just weren't vibing with each other anymore for a bunch of smaller reasons and now The Internet is going out there trying to discover or invent some big dramatic narrative instead of just accepting that.

Sad way for this thing to go down, all around.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

yeah nah I'm not particularly interested in blaming crymetina for anything thanks

if pat was dumb enough to blunder into that exchange after like two years of liam very clearly not wanting to do anything with him he deserves to be dragged

Didn't blame her for anything, if I didn't get my point across clearly I'm not saying she instigated anything of substance, but doing that wouldn't help any situation and only presents the possibility of making things worse. Whatever was going on it is not someone's spouse's place to make a scene publicly about it especially if Liam, who could even be completely in the right here, chose to not say anything about it and keep it off the public space. Anyone else involved would be wise to have taken his lead especially when they live public lives as internet entertainers that have all the dregs of the internet collecting every possible detail about them. I don't think there is anything controversial about this.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think that 4chan post is a pretty good approximation of what happened. Liam and Matt have very similar personalities, and I wouldn't call Pat a catalyst, but when you have two timid and earnest nerds and someone that's very quick to pick fights, poo poo's eventually gonna deteriorate. This whole Liam situation is him basically ghosting someone, and I feel like that's the healthiest option he had at the moment. I'unno if Leanna's subtweet was a good thing but it was definitely a sign that poo poo was going sour.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

This feels like they just weren't vibing with each other anymore for a bunch of smaller reasons and now The Internet is going out there trying to discover or invent some big dramatic narrative instead of just accepting that.

This is exactly the thing. There are probably 100 small reasons why this happened and we can theorycraft and hypothesise all day and we might get close - but these are real living breathing people who live their lives 22 out of the 24 hours a day without us watching them.

Even if we identify some of the major reasons we can't possibly know the real-life context in all its thousand tiny parts - times three because it involves three (or four or five or six or thirty if you involve their real-life friends).

And I'm not blaming anyone in this thread for talking about it, of course, it's only natural to talk about it. I'm mostly talking about other people online drawing immediate conclusions from scanty information. And I'm kinda glad that at least in this thread people are taking a more nuanced approach to the whole thing.

Which is also why I kinda support keeping the thread open at least for a bit, because people here are expressing opinions but I've not seen anyone _overtly_ and _offensively_ "taking sides." Plus people (like me) need a place just to talk this through in a chill place and come to terms with this - as stupid as that may sound.

Now I'm just babbling but gently caress it. I love SBFP and this thread is a p good thread.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think it'd be cool to have a hub for Pat/Woolie/Matt content, so I'll just make a Great Zaibatsu Schism thread if Rodyle closes this one. :shrug:

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I'm...pretty sure this didn't actually happen?

big is probably overstating it! just some traded comments about how pat was trying to make it seem like everything was chill and happy with each other.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Why does the thread need to be closed? Everyone's being chill here and if you don't want to read about sbfp then just unsub from the thread until a new one goes up? Or at least wait until new content goes up on the new content? Obv people still want to discuss it and either that happens now or the first few pages of the new thread get poo poo up. It's barely been 24 hours :/

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Charlie Bobson posted:

big is probably overstating it! just some traded comments about how pat was trying to make it seem like everything was chill and happy with each other.

There was no Twitter fight. Liam just said that he didn't reply to Pat's tweets because he had Pat muted. There was literally no interaction between each other. He just doesn't wanna have anything to do with Pat and was explaining why he "ignored" that olive branch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

beep by grandpa posted:

Why does the thread need to be closed? Everyone's being chill here and if you don't want to read about sbfp then just unsub from the thread until a new one goes up? Or at least wait until new content goes up on the new content? Obv people still want to discuss it and either that happens now or the first few pages of the new thread get poo poo up. It's barely been 24 hours :/

It's mostly a good idea to me because this thread is four years old and 1200 pages long. Fresh start for the guys, fresh start for us following their videos. No reason to close it right this second though.