Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

angry armadillo posted:

One of the things I realised that your first line guy really needs is the ability to make sure he follows through on his ticket.

It's fine if you are new and have no idea what you are doing, it will be mildly frustrating but most people understand the new guy is the new guy.

Just make drat sure you log the ticket and get back to the customer/user/colleague in a timely fashion with an answer and it's all good.

If you don't know how to do it and hope it just goes away or one of your colleagues magically takes over - you will get a reputation.

My wife works for a town government and LogMeIn has been broken on her machine for like 6+ months. She's supposed to be able to work remotely, which would be extremely handy with two young kids who get sick constantly, but cannot. Every month or two the IT guy comes by, messes with it for a while, then shrugs and leaves. I can't imagine working in an environment where "lol I dunno" is an acceptable response to a real and persistent issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Docjowles posted:

My wife works for a town government and LogMeIn has been broken on her machine for like 6+ months. She's supposed to be able to work remotely, which would be extremely handy with two young kids who get sick constantly, but cannot. Every month or two the IT guy comes by, messes with it for a while, then shrugs and leaves. I can't imagine working in an environment where "lol I dunno" is an acceptable response to a real and persistent issue.

Also, at a certain point wouldn't it be more cost feasible to just buy her a new machine? How much money have they already tied up in tried to make it work?

State and local government agencies are jokes to work for because there's very rarely any repercussions for doing a bad job.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Late December at a big company is great. All of my meetings are cancelled until Jan 9th because of PTOs and everyone is afraid of loving up and affecting their bonus so nothing gets done.

My wife and I went down to visit my family for our yearly holiday party and i guess were getting to that age where we kind of enjoy being with them. Her family is very small and doesn't talk to us much whereas my family is very big but 200 miles away. Were thinking of moving to the suburbs of Philadelphia so that we can be close to them but I am kind of worried about my career. Being outside of NYC has been great because of the salary it draws but i dont think it would be competitive in philly. I know the cost of living is lower but my wife is a bit boujee and I know shes going to want to upgrade to a 4000 sq ft mcmansion with a resort backyard so its probably a break even.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Applied for a QA engineer position even though I dont know anything beyond having some coding experience and my resume doesnt say anything that screams QA and they want me for a phone screen and Im wondering if someone is playing a joke here. So thanks for the shooting for the stars advice thread.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Is NYC not the type of market that supports remote work?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I really don’t get why blocking music at work is a thing. New IT director is blocking any sort of streaming site (sure I guess) in addition to things like Facebook and Instagram (uh okay)

lol if you work out at the on site gym and want something other than silence.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

tortilla_chip posted:

I do enjoy occassionally working from home but 100% wfh would drive me mad

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sepist posted:

I do enjoy occassionally working from home but 100% wfh would drive me mad

Working from home is only for the strong. Dare yourself to be better.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Sepist posted:

Late December at a big company is great. All of my meetings are cancelled until Jan 9th because of PTOs and everyone is afraid of loving up and affecting their bonus so nothing gets done.

My wife and I went down to visit my family for our yearly holiday party and i guess were getting to that age where we kind of enjoy being with them. Her family is very small and doesn't talk to us much whereas my family is very big but 200 miles away. Were thinking of moving to the suburbs of Philadelphia so that we can be close to them but I am kind of worried about my career. Being outside of NYC has been great because of the salary it draws but i dont think it would be competitive in philly. I know the cost of living is lower but my wife is a bit boujee and I know shes going to want to upgrade to a 4000 sq ft mcmansion with a resort backyard so its probably a break even.

My salary in Philly was approximately $10-15k less than what I'd have made in NYC but the cost of living was so much lower. There will probably be a pay cut, but the cost of living should more than make up for it. Just don't take any job that requires you to commute on 76.

I'm currently in Baltimore and commuting to DC via train and it's a similar situation. I could move to DC, but to have the quality of housing would cost twice as much.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Defenestrategy posted:

Applied for a QA engineer position even though I dont know anything beyond having some coding experience and my resume doesnt say anything that screams QA and they want me for a phone screen and Im wondering if someone is playing a joke here. So thanks for the shooting for the stars advice thread.

QA is hard to fill, it takes a certain kind of person to do the job, so if you show aptitude and look like a good team fit they'll probably take the time to train you.

I helped out doing QA on some software builds for a few weeks a long time ago and I hated it.

Sepist posted:

Yep. We go into a change freeze the week after Thanksgiving, and it's all break/fix. Most meetings are cancelled and the folks not on PTO just keep an eye on things. It's not so much people are afraid of loving up, it's just with all the folks taking time off it's hard to coordinate any sort of changes. Financial systems are off limits until Mid Jan as well for year end activities.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah we are basically just hangin around. I'm messing around with prep for a migration to Azure for some stuff but otherwise it's just whatever I feel like doing

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

How we doing on patches folks? Can you get me report from our sccm inventory?

• I am sent a report showing 95% compliance across the board. Nice!

Does this show every windows server we have?

“Yes”

So I fire up some pdq inventory just for shits and giggles and what’s this ........ uptime 801 days 23 hours. What is this server you might ask? Just a hyper v host with production vms on it.

Can’t wait to hear the next excuse.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

skipdogg posted:

QA is hard to fill, it takes a certain kind of person to do the job, so if you show aptitude and look like a good team fit they'll probably take the time to train you.

I helped out doing QA on some software builds for a few weeks a long time ago and I hated it.

Yep. We go into a change freeze the week after Thanksgiving, and it's all break/fix. Most meetings are cancelled and the folks not on PTO just keep an eye on things. It's not so much people are afraid of loving up, it's just with all the folks taking time off it's hard to coordinate any sort of changes. Financial systems are off limits until Mid Jan as well for year end activities.

Filling QA roles are grueling. Good QA folks move on to other positions that pay so much more. I will never understand how such a vital role started to be so under paid.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

How we doing on patches folks? Can you get me report from our sccm inventory?

• I am sent a report showing 95% compliance across the board. Nice!

Does this show every windows server we have?

“Yes”

So I fire up some pdq inventory just for shits and giggles and what’s this ........ uptime 801 days 23 hours. What is this server you might ask? Just a hyper v host with production vms on it.

Can’t wait to hear the next excuse.

You said to use SCCM and you used PDQ obviously the software is broken

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

A lot of people started their vacations this week and we have a change freeze on right now due to some testing that’s going on in all of our environments. So I’m farting around on the forums and cleaning up some tickets and starting to plan a PoC for a big project starting in January.

It is loving boring. I am bored.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've heard stories that the current VP running IT for one of our subsidiaries had to clean house a couple years ago because a significant portion of his staff was outright lying to him.

Falsified reports, claiming tasks were done when they weren't. There was supposedly a $150k NetApp that sat in a crate in the data center for a year.

very stable genius posted:

It is loving boring. I am bored.

This. I'm doing some prep for migrating all of our servers to Server 2016, but otherwise there's not a lot going on.

I have a list of 11 projects that will all kick off in January, but I can't do anything for them now.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 17, 2018

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I have a 2pm review with one of our lovely design engineers to review their "draft" of our new wireless standards. They copy and pasted our wiki into a word doc and added 2 visios I sent over. The doc has little "loading..." external reference boxes EVERYWHERE. I get it's a draft but come the gently caress on how can you even put a stamp on this and call it work.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Last day is Friday. I'm passing tickets like a motherfucker if I can't close them.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I worked an internship in QA in college and am glad I did. I feel like building the tenacity to really understand an issue so you can reproduce it, and then clearly and accurately describe the problem, did a lot for my troubleshooting ability. We all know what it's like to get utterly poo poo tickets with no useful detail from supposedly smart, capable people. I think getting a tester's perspective on how to diagnose and communicate issues can be a very valuable early experience.

Agree it takes a special breed to be a QA lifer, though. Even though I was good at it, I quickly realized I had no interest in the field long-term.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

So I just interviewed at a different place, still got my job here and I'm conflicted. It'd be a 3-5 dollar an hour raise and a straight 6 month contract to hire situation as opposed to right now which is an indefinite contract scenario. The Work would be very similar but its a smaller group without as many set up systems. IE no formal ticketing. On the plus side I'll get a ton of experience and resume points to move into more of infrastructure and networking. On the negative sides, open office on a sorta energy trading floor and there's apparently a lot of jokes or "jokes" going back and forth. I'm a cis straight presenting white dude so I'm not too worried about that but I just don't know if I should move from this safe place where I'll probably never get fired but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of accountability to a more drinking from the fire hose scenario. Also I'm on a select team to improve IT communication thats either a feather in my cap or a management boondoggle and a similar MSFT Teams implementation group now

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LionYeti posted:

So I just interviewed at a different place, still got my job here and I'm conflicted. It'd be a 3-5 dollar an hour raise and a straight 6 month contract to hire situation as opposed to right now which is an indefinite contract scenario. The Work would be very similar but its a smaller group without as many set up systems. IE no formal ticketing. On the plus side I'll get a ton of experience and resume points to move into more of infrastructure and networking. On the negative sides, open office on a sorta energy trading floor and there's apparently a lot of jokes or "jokes" going back and forth. I'm a cis straight presenting white dude so I'm not too worried about that but I just don't know if I should move from this safe place where I'll probably never get fired but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of accountability to a more drinking from the fire hose scenario. Also I'm on a select team to improve IT communication thats either a feather in my cap or a management boondoggle and a similar MSFT Teams implementation group now

Trading floor is a *huge* red flag.
“no formal ticketing” means walking up to your desk and demanding you fix every problem immediately.

Combine the two, and you get coked out traders spit-yelling at you to “fix this loving thing right now, I’m losing millions of dollars!”

EDIT: vvv

Thanks Ants posted:

If someone has to warn you about "jokes" at the interview stage then chances are that the people you'll be expected to work with are all insufferable pieces of poo poo

That to. (Although it was kind of implied with “trading floor”)

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 17, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If someone has to warn you about "jokes" at the interview stage then chances are that the people you'll be expected to work with are all insufferable pieces of poo poo

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

LionYeti posted:

On the negative sides, open office on a sorta energy trading floor

So now we know that the first circle of hell is being doomed to working IT support for Enron.

Do not under any circumstances take this job.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Depending on your life circumstances, if you want to move up in Financial IT that sounds like a great choice but it can be kind of brutal.

Personally, if I was young I’d do it but if you’ve already got a stable gig then there’s that and you could always find something else.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I have a trader friend and everything mentioned about being dicks to the IT, crazy unprofessional environment, and stress is true.

He got in nice with his IT guys because he played hearthstone and wasn’t a douche.

On the plus the IT guys also got bonuses

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

I have a trader friend and everything mentioned about being dicks to the IT, crazy unprofessional environment, and stress is true.

He got in nice with his IT guys because he played hearthstone and wasn’t a douche.

On the plus the IT guys also got bonuses

The pay is Significantly Better then what I've got now. Honestly I want this job offer to squeeze a permanent position out of my current job, but that does mean being okay with leaving if they choose to call my bluff.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 17, 2018

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Finance is kind of a boys club too and once you're in you're in.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can always just leave if it's poo poo

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My favorite client at my old job was a trading firm that had a post on the floor of the NYSE, but they were old-school South Brooklyn types of Wall Street people, not Gordon Gekko/finance bros.

I've found that there's no middle ground with finance people, they're either fun or complete assholes.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just riding in the elevator with the trading bro crowd every morning is enough to make me never want to work with them.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

very stable genius posted:

My salary in Philly was approximately $10-15k less than what I'd have made in NYC but the cost of living was so much lower. There will probably be a pay cut, but the cost of living should more than make up for it. Just don't take any job that requires you to commute on 76.

I'm currently in Baltimore and commuting to DC via train and it's a similar situation. I could move to DC, but to have the quality of housing would cost twice as much.

Fwiw my company is hiring SREs in Baltimore. If you want to cut down on that commute. Also maybe looking someone to take on our ops tasks that could move into an SRE role.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I worked at the CBT for a few months as a runner, it is (or at least was) literally wolf of wall street kind of poo poo; except there were A LOT more painkillers than depicted in the movie, coke was rampant as well but vicodin/oxy were huge as well.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Sepist posted:

Finance is kind of a boys club too and once you're in you're in.
Once you have experience in the regulatory environment it is definitely a bonus for other similar jobs. I can't imagine coming in as an IT manager in finance without any experience dealing with the exams.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

tortilla_chip posted:

Because NYC proper is so well-connected by mass transit, there are few companies that are amenable to full-time remote employees (aside from low-cost outsourcing firms). Most will permit a few days a week of telecommuting. NYC is mostly all about ~OfFiCe PeRkS~ culturally, anyway.

My experience here is mostly from asking this question at the director level, so it might be a little more flexible for ICs. I've mostly interviewed with mid-size tech startups (80-1000 employees).

Proteus Jones posted:

Combine the two, and you get coked out traders spit-yelling at you to “fix this loving thing right now, I’m losing millions of dollars!”
They need to fake it to themselves, because they'll never admit that your slow rear end taking an hour to fix their broken computer might have also kept them from making a dozen awful, losing trades.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 18, 2018

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

We have a perfectly nice office on Hudson St in Manhattan, but my teammate in Queens still works remote like 4 days a week :unsmith: He says there's some fuckery with the trains and his commute is now way over an hour in one direction, so fair enough imo. I'm in Boston so I don't know a drat thing about the MTA. I just nod sagely and lol to myself as New Yorkers keep yelling at me that they have the greatest subway on earth but also it literally can't get them to their jobs.

My actual point is that there are at least some remote-friendly jobs available in NYC, though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Can confirm, the trains in Queens make things difficult sometimes. Especially the 7 lately.

Can't wait for Amazon and the L closing to make it even worse.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Matt Zerella posted:

Can't wait for Amazon and the L closing to make it even worse.

I can't wait for all of the L refugees to come join me on the not at all already full J/Z trains in the morning.

Gotta try to convince my boss in CA to let me work from home, at least in the morning.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Well, I'm scared. I wrote my first line of Powershell last month. We start using this project to touch lab machines next month. Not "lab" as in "we spun up a bunch of disposable VMs", but "lab" as in "there's a mass spectrometer plugged into it". I also have domain admin on an OU called "Research" with a couple of thousand machines in it.

Thank god I know what I'm doing with scripting in general, and also that we have a Powershell veteran to look over my shoulder.

Fun thing. He got an email from Security this morning asking why the Remote Desktop service on a few machines was running as SYSTEM, and also about the "Hack$machineOwner" service that's running. Tscon working as intended !

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
So one of the infosec guys came in this morning;

:v: "So I imagine you've been doing a lot of firefighting lately with the big problems in the other sites"
:geno: "Well it's started to calm down a bit, there's a lot less fire to fight when everything's burned to the ground"

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Today a new item appeared very suddenly on our change calendar, "Uninstall Symantec (SEP)".
From all workstations.
This is a day of celebration.