Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you see where the bullet hits, you can probably get a general idea of where the shot came from. But no way can you pinpoint exactly where it came from unless you were already looking in the general direction of the sniper. The phantom shots are stupid as hell because they aren't real and aren't even close to being realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I fell down a bit of hole reading about this, interesting stuff, apparently the muzzle flash is the biggest giveaway but obviously not everyone will see that. Also silenced sniper rifles aren't like Far Cry where you become an untraceable headshot machine, they're still loud but the muffling makes it harder to tell which direction you're shooting from.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Colorado has two live fire areas. If there's a map where a silenced sniper should be OP it's that.

quote:

Postal Insurance
The ‘Priceless’ challenge has been removed from the game on all platforms because the package was indestructible. Mr Batty will be pleased, for now…
Yay?

quote:

Jeg Sauna Hende Stadig Ikke
We’ve fixed an issue where raising the temperature of the sauna in Hokkaido would insta-kill the NPC’s in the sauna. Now, they’ll leave the room, as expected.
:neckbeard:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

If you see where the bullet hits, you can probably get a general idea of where the shot came from. But no way can you pinpoint exactly where it came from unless you were already looking in the general direction of the sniper. The phantom shots are stupid as hell because they aren't real and aren't even close to being realistic.

What exactly does "not real" mean here? They're certainly real enough to kill 47.

(I've died multiple times on the water tower, in "Searching" status)

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Sauna fix means it's time to be a silent ninja again! :ninja:

Also, about the sniper rifle stuff: do the Kashmirian challenges and try to spot the sniper from the POV of a guard near the target. For the laundry one in particular he's hilariously obvious, you're really not as far away as you think in most sniper perches.

Not that that means the phantom bullets aren't stupid.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

HenryEx posted:

What exactly does "not real" mean here? They're certainly real enough to kill 47.

I think the game will start to play 'bullets whizzing by' sound effects if you're in combat even if you aren't actually being shot at. Pretty sure I've had that happen to me when running away from guards who couldn't actually target me but where still engaged.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Holistic Detective posted:

Is the discovery challenge in Sapienza bugged? I've been all over the map, and ticked off every location but I'm still at 46/47. Is there somewhere on the list they forgot to put an icon on?

Have you tried any of the bonus missions in Sapienza? I think I got that challenge when I played 'The Icon'.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

HenryEx posted:

Right after you shoot your sniper rifle, a couple fake, silenced bullets will be fired next to you even though no one has spotted you yet.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
This ghost bullet poo poo sounds like made up gamer bullshit to me. I've never seen that and guards are absolutely holding their guns up and shooting at me when I'm insta-spotted in an impossible spot.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Zigmidge posted:

This ghost bullet poo poo sounds like made up gamer bullshit to me. I've never seen that and guards are absolutely holding their guns up and shooting at me when I'm insta-spotted in an impossible spot.

I've had it happen where I shot someone, across the map, with a silenced sniper rifle, with no guards even close to me, and still bullets were whizzing by.

The target shot wasn't even found yet either, it was very weird.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Walton Simons posted:

I fell down a bit of hole reading about this, interesting stuff, apparently the muzzle flash is the biggest giveaway but obviously not everyone will see that. Also silenced sniper rifles aren't like Far Cry where you become an untraceable headshot machine, they're still loud but the muffling makes it harder to tell which direction you're shooting from.

Also, in real life snipers don't mount their gun right next to the window, they are as far from the window as possible to avoid giving away their location. (Though this might be more applicable in warzones where none of the windows have glass left, so you can't guess where a shot came from based on which window is open)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Can someone explain to me when npcs will hear the impact of a pistol bullet and consider it a noise to investigate, and when they'll go "bullet impact noticed" and go on alert/panic and run? It seems to be very inconsistent.

Only thing I can figure out is that two bullets heard in short order will always trigger bullet impact noticed, and for whatever reason shots that hit gas heaters will almost always count as "what's that noise" even when the npc is standing literally right next to the heater.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Nakar posted:

gently caress that noise, the Featured Contracts unlocks are where it's really at. Unlockable wrench motherfuckers, now I can somehow break a scenario that requires tool usage!
Are these the one-shot time limited missions? I haven't bought Hitman 2 yet since I'd rather wait until all the bullshit DLC is released and just buy the complete game, is this going to lock me out of these items as well?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

TACD posted:

Are these the one-shot time limited missions? I haven't bought Hitman 2 yet since I'd rather wait until all the bullshit DLC is released and just buy the complete game, is this going to lock me out of these items as well?

contracts are user-made content. You pick one of the various npcs in the level, tag them as a target, and then you kill them in the manner you have planned out. Then you publish and others can try and beat your score/succeed at your challenge. There are a number of further complications you can add like not changing disguises etc.

featured contracts are (supposed to be) a curated list of "best of" contracts. In the 2016 the fun quality varied wildly though.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

TACD posted:

You're missing everything.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

elf help book posted:

You're missing everything.

Like killing the sapienza virus from the ledge with a shotgun.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
You've already missed the first elusive target, and thus unlocking a pen you can throw to kill someone which then explodes. You may as well never buy the game and also stop playing video games and posting, as this content is so grand, which you will never taste.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If you can't kill Sean Bean you might as well stop playing video games altogether imo

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is it the concept of dlc in general that's bullshit or this specific dlc

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The release of Hitman 2016 was a lesson in how waiting for the "complete" game was overrated and you have more fun if you play it episodically.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

TACD posted:

Hitman 2(018) doesn't use the same model as hitman 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TACD posted:

Reminder: the "bullshit DLC" was all the entire goddamn game released in episodes, and the model worked really well for this style of game.

I understand not liking the idea for some games, but it worked well for this one, and I'm kinda sad they had to drop it because people knee-jerk yelled about bullshit DLC.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Walton Simons posted:

Yeah silencers in media don't work at all like they do IRL. Even with a suppressor a gunshot is still loud as all hell it's just more like a man yelling at the top of his lungs loud rather than "will cause hearing damage" levels of loud.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I never played the first 2015 Hitsmen.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Cojawfee posted:

I never played the first 2015 Hitsmen.

Good news! You can play almost all of it inside of Hitman 2 with all the improvements.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

It is very real. Notice that I am not spotted, no one is freaked out about me, yet there are constant bullet impacts all around me. There's no one around firing these bullets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug6_nDbG6nI

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm not a massive fan of elusive targets, just because I can't always play or maybe I want to play something else that week (this is why I can never commit to a league in racing games) but whatever, there's so much game here I can't get too upset.

I have to say I thought there'd be more to Patient Zero, I've spent some time in Bangkok and while I really like revisiting maps in games, it feels like very little is different from the Cross/Morgan mission. Even the people in the basement are talking about Thomas Cross and how they'd love to work with a band. Think I'll get more joy out of hunting for more mastery levels in the main campaign.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Wrr posted:

I think the game will start to play 'bullets whizzing by' sound effects if you're in combat even if you aren't actually being shot at. Pretty sure I've had that happen to me when running away from guards who couldn't actually target me but where still engaged.
The bullets you're hearing seem to be from guards shooting at your general direction even though they can't really see you. I have observed guards trying to shoot at where they think stuff is happening, even though they couldn't see it. They'll even shoot at walls in their path.
You can see that they are actually shooting at where you were. When you get into combat, switch disguises while nobody sees you switching and then run towards the guards and you'll see them doing it.
It's weird, it looks stupid and it's probably a bug.
The best way to test this is in the alleyways in Sapienza, around the area where the detective is.

Lollerich fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 17, 2018

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Wrr posted:

I just moved away from Burlington, Vermont and I am very excited to do the Whittleton Creek level next. I wanna see how well they capture the feeling of the area or how suburby it is cause Vermont doesn't reaeeeallly have any suburbs to speak of. I'm hoping it is just a renamed Burlington or Old / New North End.

As for open carry laws in Vermont, in 2013 Burlington passed an ordinance banning open carry of assault weapons within city limits but I don't think it ever actually took effect or anything. Maybe in The World of Assassination it finally kicked in.

hey fellow ex-Burlingtonian!

It's less Vermont-y than I would have liked, it kind of feels like they just chose some random state to name the location after rather than actually capturing a small New England town; I also grew up in NH and there weren't really too many towns there that felt similar either. Maybe Massachusetts has some suburbs that feel like Whittleton Creek though.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Dec 18, 2018

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Was really hoping they'd fix the bug where all targets seem to ignore overflowing sinks.

Glad they removed 'Priceless', now I have 100% completion on all Destinations (except the Ghost mode poo poo).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

double nine posted:

featured contracts are (supposed to be) a curated list of "best of" contracts. In the 2016 the fun quality varied wildly though.
Ah OK cool, thanks

Super No Vacancy posted:

is it the concept of dlc in general that's bullshit or this specific dlc
DLC in general is 95% bullshit since it strongly incentivises publishers to release games in minimally publishable units rather than just making and selling a complete game. I appreciate that Hitman 2 isn’t episodic like the 2016 game but I’d personally still rather pick it up in a year or two when all the bonus missions and addons and whatever are bundled up into a complete GOTY version as usual.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
For what it's worth, they eventually re-ran the season 1 ETs, so a year or two down the line I imagine they'll do the same. The only exception could be with the Sean Bean one; they weren't able to re-run the Gary Busey mission due to likeness rights considerations or something, so there's a chance that could happen again (of course, after the Busey ET, IOI may have negotiated something with that in mind with Bean, so you never know).

It looks like the Holiday Hoarders thing is going to be temporary this year, but again, it seems like something they'd eventually add in permanently at the end of the game's life when they offline it all.

Honestly I disagree with your take on the game's model - I think the episodic model worked great (except for ET reasons) and season 1 was still a "complete game" - but that's ok. This has been a great year for games (especially single player games) so there's plenty else to play until there's a Hitman 2 complete.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the only people who complained about the episodic content were the dumbos who refused to buy the game until all the content was out. Meaning they missed out on some cool stuff for no reason.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
If missing content bothers you, the gamer, then Hitman has covered every base to make sure you're disappointed no matter when you choose to buy the game.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Wrr posted:

Those are real bullets, Hitman 2 changed AI routines a bit so the guards are now shooting at the place they suspect even if they don’t have a visual on 47. You can see this by getting into fight then entering a building and disguising, guards will be shooting at the doors as you walk past them in new disguise.
Same with sniping, in “searching” status they’ll be firing at what they think your location is as they approach, while in Hitman they just approached from cover to cover and only started firing when they saw you.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Episodic style really did work great for this type of game. Mostly because that way you got a ton of time to really dig into each mission one at a time instead of being tempted to get to finish all of them quickly before starting to play what I consider to be the real game.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

Those are real bullets, Hitman 2 changed AI routines a bit so the guards are now shooting at the place they suspect even if they don’t have a visual on 47. You can see this by getting into fight then entering a building and disguising, guards will be shooting at the doors as you walk past them in new disguise.
Same with sniping, in “searching” status they’ll be firing at what they think your location is as they approach, while in Hitman they just approached from cover to cover and only started firing when they saw you.

I've had it happen when I cheesed sniper assassin by knocking em out in a secluded space and just popped em point blank with it, with no one hearing the sniper rifle or seeing the body.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

whats up with the fumigated house in whittleton creek? on the map it seems to have stuff inside, but the plastic covering all the doors and windows has thwarted my entry attempts. is there anything there?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

piratepilates posted:

whats up with the fumigated house in whittleton creek? on the map it seems to have stuff inside, but the plastic covering all the doors and windows has thwarted my entry attempts. is there anything there?

it might just be an artifact of the fact that every house has the same layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Cojawfee posted:

it might just be an artifact of the fact that every house has the same layout.

wait WHAT? you just blew my mind.

anyway its weird because theres one house in the center of the map that doesn't have any areas to go and just has grey on the map, but fumigation house (batty) has internals on the map.

come to think of it, theres also a fumigation machine you can poison and turn on, but no way I can find in to the house. can you like, deliver the batty package to cassidy's mailbox and get them to go inside? then assassinate them with the fumigation machine?