Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

My Linux Rig posted:

who says it's worthless? there are plenty of examples of people making money off of bitcoin even in this own thread, and anyone who would have bought bitcoin when they were much cheaper would still be able to sell them for a huge return even with the recent losses

not to mention the blockchain technology that supports is already being used by several large software firms, and several online shops accept it for payment as well (newegg, overstock, namecheap, etc)

so you may say it's worthless but it seems like there's a lot of people out there that would disagree with that

The people who disagree are either making money from rubes or are the rubes. It’s like you are regurgitating shady sales buzzwords at people. It’s not hard to figure which one of those you are.

You have never made any real money from bitcoin anyone would be proud of. This is just a made up persona in your head. Nobody believes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

My Linux Rig posted:

who says it's worthless?

Me :agesilaus:

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

People that have "made money" of bitcoin usually have one thing to say.

Don't do what I did, I got lucky. (IE I pawned off my poo poo on some rube and have actual cash dollars and no morals)

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Blade Runner posted:

No, you don't understand

What you do is you buy the stock, then when it goes up, you sell

There's billions to be made

What you do is pick a number and wait for the roulette wheel to pick the same number.

There's butts within the next few days.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Burt Sexual posted:

Please post the link to the hotel taking bitcoins. I’m curious. Bars probably don’t have a website, well I guess unless they are extremely online. Post them too!
Hotel
http://www.hotelvanwalsum.nl/nl/bitcoin.html

The bars mentioned are listed on a bitcoin platform as taking bitcoin but don't actually mention it on their site anymore, also one is more of a fried chicken place than a bar.
https://www.vessel11.nl/nl/
https://www.alanenpims.nl/
https://encorebargrill.nl/

Thuisbezorgd.nl definitely takes bitcoin and you can order from most takeout restaurants with that.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Following the links on bitcoin promoter platforms is turning out great so far. Turns out there is a very strong correlation between taking bitcoin payments and your domain being for sale, a 404 or not updated in over a year.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

There were a bunch of restaurants in Delft taking the coin back in 2014 for some weird reason.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

newegg, overstock, namecheap: the future of online retail !!!!!!!!!!!

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

My Linux Rig posted:

who says it's worthless? there are plenty of examples of people making money off of bitcoin even in this own thread, and anyone who would have bought bitcoin when they were much cheaper would still be able to sell them for a huge return even with the recent losses

not to mention the blockchain technology that supports is already being used by several large software firms, and several online shops accept it for payment as well (newegg, overstock, namecheap, etc)

so you may say it's worthless but it seems like there's a lot of people out there that would disagree with that

My argument about btc being worthless is that it's only a speculative asset, not associated to any product or service. It's main claim of being a currency (that is, being used to exchange for goods and services) simply has not materialized. Chucky cheese tokens are still accepted at more locations worldwide.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

My Linux Rig posted:

Pretty much every major tech company that has a blockchain service is using Hyperledger-Fabric, which is about as far as you can get from the bitcoin blockchain while still technically being a blockchain service.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Non Serviam posted:

My argument about btc being worthless is that it's only a speculative asset, not associated to any product or service. It's main claim of being a currency (that is, being used to exchange for goods and services) simply has not materialized. Chucky cheese tokens are still accepted at more locations worldwide.

your comparison to Chuck E. Cheese tokens isn’t really accurate or fair though; Chuck E. Cheese was already established decades before bitcoin came along and had stores that would guarantee that they’re accepted somewhere, where as bitcoin has been around for a much shorter time and started with no guarantee it would be accepted at any stores

but even given that, bitcoin is accepted at over 14,000 places worldwide

Pretty good for a currency that’s been around for less then a decade I say

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

A bunch of those 14,000 places are just bitcoin ATMs, which don't count.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

My Linux Rig posted:

your comparison to Chuck E. Cheese tokens isn’t really accurate or fair though; Chuck E. Cheese was already established decades before bitcoin came along and had stores that would guarantee that they’re accepted somewhere, where as bitcoin has been around for a much shorter time and started with no guarantee it would be accepted at any stores

You're right, Chuck E. Cheese tokens are much better as a currency than Bitcoin

Also someone looked over that list ages ago and found out the vast majority of businesses had been added without their owner's knowledge or consent

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Blade Runner posted:

You're right, Chuck E. Cheese tokens are much better as a currency than Bitcoin

Also someone looked over that list ages ago and found out the vast majority of businesses had been added without their owner's knowledge or consent

Even if 80% were that, that would still leave above 2k businesses that are legitimate, a lot more then the 600 Chuck E. Cheese locations mentioned before

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ketamine-2-go is not a legitimate business

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

My Linux Rig posted:

Even if 80% were that, that would still leave above 2k businesses that are legitimate, a lot more then the 600 Chuck E. Cheese locations mentioned before

When the argument boils down to splitting hairs over the number of Chuck E. Cheese locations, it's time to call it quits.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

My Linux Rig posted:

Your 'Currency of the future! It's even better than Chuck E Cheese tokens' pitch really isn't very convincing hth

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

My Linux Rig posted:

80% are not that, it is in fact more

Trying desperately to prove that your currency is superior to literal Chuck E. Cheese tokens is the most pathetic thing I've heard today though so good job

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Lol most of those links go to dead sites

Just look at a city like London UK and see all the fake businesses and dead links

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The White Dragon posted:

Oh word? I was just about to place an order there. If you know a place that's more legit PM me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im just gonna casually mention that Chuck E. Cheese phased out tokens from all locations 2 years ago so I think Chuck E. Cheese actually processes more digitial transactions in fake currency in an afternoon than Bitcoin has all year

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Dave & Busters was the crypo trailblazer

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Barudak posted:

Im just gonna casually mention that Chuck E. Cheese phased out tokens from all locations 2 years ago so I think Chuck E. Cheese actually processes more digitial transactions in fake currency in an afternoon than Bitcoin has all year

Probably doesn't use more energy than entire countries to do so, either

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Even if you could reliably make money from bitcoin - most cannot - the electricity consumption problem is such that I think it's fair to say you shouldn't.

There's no justification for burning entire countries' worth of power just so you can play day trader.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

StandardVC10 posted:

Even if you could reliably make money from bitcoin - most cannot - the electricity consumption problem is such that I think it's fair to say you shouldn't.

There's no justification for burning entire countries' worth of power just so you can play day trader.

Is it less ethical than trading raytheon options or tar sands oil futures?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Thread title

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NihilismNow posted:

Yeah, probably. Don’t do that either.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

I take your point on the number of Chuck E. Cheeses available.

Am I reading you correctly if I assume you're a BTC true believer? By that I mean that you think that BTC, within our lifetime, will be massively used as a currency?

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

NihilismNow posted:

Yes. Way, way less

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Goodpancakes posted:

There were a bunch of restaurants in Delft taking the coin back in 2014 for some weird reason.

Isn't Delft a decently sized techbro hub these days?
I see the name pop up occasionally and they seem to have a pretty bitchin' TU.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

orange juche posted:

Thread title

Lol done

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

NihilismNow posted:

Even the most enviromentally destructive industry are wrecking the environment as an unavoidable sife effect. Bitcoin is destroying the environment due to the arms race of burning electricity to make a bunch of processors guess a random string to win a bitcoin lottery. Oil is bad but it's the cheapest and most convenient energy source we got. Bitcoin is bad with literally zero benefit to existing systems. Even the concept of "decentralization" is defunct now that a handful of miners control the network.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Non Serviam posted:

I take your point on the number of Chuck E. Cheeses available.

Am I reading you correctly if I assume you're a BTC true believer? By that I mean that you think that BTC, within our lifetime, will be massively used as a currency?

Definitely, bitcoin is an amazing currency, and I have no doubt that it will be one of the major worldwide currencies within a few decades. After all, it already has a presence in a significant amount of countries worldwide already, and that adoption rate doesn’t seem to be slowing down

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My Linux Rig posted:

that adoption rate doesn’t seem to be slowing down

How are you tracking adoption rate?

My last job was at an investment firm that had a good sized position in a company that did bitcoin ATMs and bitcoin clearance/facilitation for businesses. They at least weren’t seeing what you are claiming, which is why they’re no longer in either of those businesses. That’s not necessarily conclusive, but it’s the best data I’ve encountered, and I haven’t found anything to contradict it.

ninja: that investment, as well as one in a blockchain infrastructure company of some repute, predated my involvement. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have made either of them.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

My Linux Rig posted:

Definitely, bitcoin is an amazing currency, and I have no doubt that it will be one of the major worldwide currencies within a few decades. After all, it already has a presence in a significant amount of countries worldwide already, and that adoption rate doesn’t seem to be slowing down

lol it definitely isn't speeding up either unless the mystical 7 tx/s has been broken

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

1. How are you defining "presence" in "a significant amount of countries"? If a single man in Turkey uses bitcoin (or, let's say, 1,000 people), do you consider it to be "present" there?
2. How do you define "adoption" of BTC here, and how are you measuring it?

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Non Serviam posted:

you are not

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

wid posted:

Even the most enviromentally destructive industry are wrecking the environment as an unavoidable sife effect. Bitcoin is destroying the environment due to the arms race of burning electricity to make a bunch of processors guess a random string to win a bitcoin lottery. Oil is bad but it's the cheapest and most convenient energy source we got. Bitcoin is bad with literally zero benefit to existing systems. Even the concept of "decentralization" is defunct now that a handful of miners control the network.

Yeah this is a huge point.

A bunch of libertarian idiots have managed to make something with absolutely no use except to enable criminals and financial scammers, and is consuming so much power compared to how useless it is that it is seen as an environmental disaster.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Also, just pointing out once more that businesses who take payments in bitcoin, don't actually take payments in bitcoin. With maybe a few minor exceptions, they pretty much all had the customer put bitcoins onto an exchange, which then paid the business in actual money. The business never touched the butts, because turns out businesses can't pay any of their expenses in bitcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Non Serviam posted:

1. How are you defining "presence" in "a significant amount of countries"? If a single man in Turkey uses Chuckee Cheese tokens (or, let's say, 1,000 people), do you consider it to be "present" there?
2. How do you define "adoption" of Chuckee Cheese tokens here, and how are you measuring it?

owned