Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Butterfly Valley posted:

I wouldn't buy any LG tv that's not from their OLED range - they use IPS panels which have terrible blacks for better viewing angles.

Would I be better with a Samsung model then? £450 is pretty much the highest I'm looking to spend.

Or how about this:
https://www.richersounds.com/panasonic-tx43fx550b.html

Or:
https://www.richersounds.com/sony-kd43xf7003bu.html

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Got a question about which of the following is better:

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/all-tvs/lg-43uk6400plf.html

https://www.richersounds.com/lg-43uk6750pld.html

I take it the 6750 is the better unit - the only differences between the two I can see is the motion processing on that model is probably better than the 6400, plus the former has one more HDMI port.

There's a difference of £80 - would the "better" motion processing be worth it? It'll be used predominantly for gaming. Cheers goons.

If you're going to use motion interpolation quite a bit (I'm guessing you already know it causes quite a bit of input lag for gaming) I would spring for the more expensive set.
The difference between my old LG LED and my current LG OLED is pretty stark in that regard. Planet Earth on the former was a bleary mess yet on the latter was very enjoyable and natural. Gymnastics and boxing were pretty great to watch, improved interpolation can really help mitigate some of the artifacting and buttery smear effect.

I'm not a big fan of it personally and barely use it outside of specific circumstances, but the methods certain sets use are night and day.

That being said I do agree with Butterfly Valley, with LGs it's usually high end or bust. IPS TVs are just plain abysmal when it comes to contrast, really only preferable if viewing angle is an absolute must.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You can get TCL screens in the UK now. Whether they line up with the US models people like, and whether they’re as good value I can’t tell you.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

EL BROMANCE posted:

You can get TCL screens in the UK now. Whether they line up with the US models people like, and whether they’re as good value I can’t tell you.

Yeah I'm not sure which ones are over there but the TCL R617 is a fantastic budget gaming TV. Most TCLs are pretty great value for the price really.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

How about this set:

TCL 43DP648 43 Inch 4K Ultra HD HDR 10 Smart TV with Freeview Play - Silver (2018 Model) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C5H9NDR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_IcxeCbAMJSZAQ

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This is probably a long shot but I'm hoping someone has a clue anyway.

I have an LG B7 OLED running WebOS. I discovered that you can change your TV's region through the service menu, and get access to foreign apps like Hulu. Doing this -- and using a DNS proxy -- makes Hulu work great, but there's two problems.

1. The moment I switch my TV's region to anything other than the United States and try to launch Hulu, it pops up a message saying the app is no longer supported and will be automatically deleted.

2. The moment I change my TV's region to the United States, the audio description feature goes on and will not turn off. It's insufferable.

So I guess I'm trying to figure out a solution to either of these problem, either to force off the audio description so I don't have to listen to "right button pressed, yes, Hulu, confirm button pressed" all the time, or to keep Hulu installed after I switch back regions.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

EL BROMANCE posted:

They don’t and they aren’t. You can’t get the same local dimming features that’s in the USA goon recommended model over here in Europe.

Wattsville, if you’re mainly gaming you don’t want any motion processing anyway as it adds noticeable input lag, and this is based on me actually trying it rather than some numbers on a spreadsheet. Are you bound to a 43 inch model? Because for under £450 you can get a decent 49 inch Samsung. I read 4K resolution is undetectable under a certain size anyway, so you can justify it to yourself like that if you need an excuse. The particular model I linked has a game setting that turns all the image processing off and gives extremely quick response times. The HDR isn’t great but for the price I don’t think there’s better options in the UK - I just bought a tv a couple months ago and did quite a lot of research into it. That said it looks great and I’m happy with it, just don’t spend too much time staring at OLEDs in shops or you’ll get tv dick envy.

Check rtings.com if you want to fall down a rabbit hole of extremely thorough reviews and information you don’t fully understand. Warning: model numbers sometimes don’t match up between regions, so it can be difficult to make comparisons as most review sites are American. I found the information that the TCL screens sold here don’t have the same features as the ones in the USA buried in the amazon questions section of one of their models.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 13, 2018

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

They don’t and they aren’t. You can’t get the same local dimming features that’s in the USA goon recommended model over here in Europe.

Wattsville, if you’re mainly gaming you don’t want any motion processing anyway as it adds noticeable input lag, and this is based on me actually trying it rather than some numbers on a spreadsheet. Are you bound to a 43 inch model? Because for under £450 you can get a decent 49 inch Samsung. I read 4K resolution is undetectable under a certain size anyway, so you can justify it to yourself like that if you need an excuse. The particular model I linked has a game setting that turns all the image processing off and gives extremely quick response times. The HDR isn’t great but for the price I don’t think there’s better options in the UK - I just bought a tv a couple months ago and did quite a lot of research into it. That said it looks great and I’m happy with it, just don’t spend too much time staring at OLEDs in shops or you’ll get tv dick envy.

Check rtings.com if you want to fall down a rabbit hole of extremely thorough reviews and information you don’t fully understand. Warning: model numbers sometimes don’t match up between regions, so it can be difficult to make comparisons as most review sites are American. I found the information that the TCL screens sold here don’t have the same features as the ones in the USA buried in the amazon questions section of one of their models.

I'm limited by size so need to be mindful.

How about :
https://www.richersounds.com/sams-ue40nu7120.html

Thanks for the help people.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yep that’s the same model as what I have but just smaller. If you want to read up on it it’s the nu7100 on rtings.com, which also has an optimal image settings guide should you buy it. Also unless you’re intentionally avoiding amazon it’s £16 cheaper on there. They do make a 43 inch model but it’s unavailable everywhere apparently. If you’re willing to spend a bit more but still within your budget, this tv is the next step up, with slightly better colours, 43 inches and includes their nice remote control.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yep that’s the same model as what I have but just smaller. If you want to read up on it it’s the nu7100 on rtings.com, which also has an optimal image settings guide should you buy it. Also unless you’re intentionally avoiding amazon it’s £16 cheaper on there. They do make a 43 inch model but it’s unavailable everywhere apparently. If you’re willing to spend a bit more but still within your budget, this tv is the next step up, with slightly better colours, 43 inches and includes their nice remote control.

I've gone for the Samsung UE43NU7400, looks to be a good midrange TV. The help has been much appreciated folks.

Specifically, I got this:
https://www.richersounds.com/samsung-ue43nu7400.html

£35 more expensive than on Amazon but comes with a 6 year warranty from Richer Sounds, with whom I've always had good customer service.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 13, 2018

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Butterfly Valley posted:

I wouldn't buy any LG tv that's not from their OLED range - they use IPS panels which have terrible blacks for better viewing angles.

This is so interesting. In tv land if you're not going OLED then the panel to get seems to be a VA panel. However in monitor land its ips, nothing but ips, so help me ips. You go into the monitor thread and try to recommend a VA panel and you'll get pretty strong rebuttals and how va panels are bad. Now I know computer monitors and tv are different use cases but there is some cross over there. Gaming and movings for example. I just find it interesting the pc people converged on ips as panel of choice and tv people on va.

The Marauder posted:

Hey friends, I have been looking into purchasing a TV to primarily be used as a PC display for quite some time. My living space is limited so I only really have room for one station/TV area. Truth be told, I've been without an actual TV for years but I would like to be able to start watching movies from my couch as opposed to my desk chair. I'm willing to pay decent money for a low-lag display with rich blacks. From what I have been able to tell, rtings has a hard-on for the Vizio PQ65-F1 when it comes to use with a PC. It looks like I can get a decent deal on this through Costco through the next week or so. Can anyone speak to how well this unit works in the use case I describe? Any other recommendations?

Rtings review here: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-quantum

Hey I've had this tv for a week now and have been doing some web browsing, pc use, etc on it. Its been great, text looks fine, etc. Just a heads up that if you don't have a recent video card you may be stuck to 30 fps at 4k resolution but honestly its fine for watching movies, navigating the desktop, etc. I haven't tried a game but I'm pretty sure I could drop the resolution and get some fps back if necessary and honestly 30 fps is what a lot of console games run at so it might not be that big of a deal either.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 13, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Coredump posted:

This is so interesting. In tv land if you're not going OLED then the panel to get seems to be a VA panel. However in monitor land its ips, nothing but ips, so help me ips. You go into the monitor thread and try to recommend a VA panel and you'll get pretty strong rebuttals and how va panels are bad. Now I know computer monitors and tv are different use cases but there is some cross over there. Gaming and movings for example. I just find it interesting the pc people converged on ips as panel of choice and tv people on va.

Have they really converged completely on IPS for computers though? IPS has the slowest response time out of all the monitors as well which doesn't make it all that suited for high refresh rate gaming.

It seems like.

IPS-General computing due to color accuracy and wide viewing angles, is fine for casual gaming
TN-More serious gamers who want low pixel response rate and high refresh rate.

VA is really a middle ground between the two technologies that happens to offer the best contrast levels. That's pretty much the best use case for media consumption.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

bull3964 posted:

Have they really converged completely on IPS for computers though? IPS has the slowest response time out of all the monitors as well which doesn't make it all that suited for high refresh rate gaming.

It seems like.

IPS-General computing due to color accuracy and wide viewing angles, is fine for casual gaming
TN-More serious gamers who want low pixel response rate and high refresh rate.

VA is really a middle ground between the two technologies that happens to offer the best contrast levels. That's pretty much the best use case for media consumption.

Generally TN are only suggested if you don't have the money for the high refresh rate IPS monitors "for real gamers who can afford the ips, g-sync, 120hz+, ultra-wide if you want it" tax.

Counterfeit
May 20, 2007
Sorry to everyone since I'm sure this has been answered a thousand times, but I'm looking to buy a TV for the first time in probably 10 years and most of this all goes over my head now. I'm looking to take advantage of some of the sales at Best Buy now, and I saw a bunch that were in my price range ($800 or less). I mainly use my TV for gaming with a regular PS4 (which I also use to stream) and just regular satellite TV. I'd like to go for a 65" but would be willing to sacrifice some size for better quality. Not sure what others have been going for lately, so I figured I'd ask before I go shopping. I'd list all the ones they have available with my criteria, but there's like 24 of them and I don't even know where to start paring them down. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Counterfeit posted:

Sorry to everyone since I'm sure this has been answered a thousand times, but I'm looking to buy a TV for the first time in probably 10 years and most of this all goes over my head now. I'm looking to take advantage of some of the sales at Best Buy now, and I saw a bunch that were in my price range ($800 or less). I mainly use my TV for gaming with a regular PS4 (which I also use to stream) and just regular satellite TV. I'd like to go for a 65" but would be willing to sacrifice some size for better quality. Not sure what others have been going for lately, so I figured I'd ask before I go shopping. I'd list all the ones they have available with my criteria, but there's like 24 of them and I don't even know where to start paring them down. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

TCL 6 series (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204551.p?skuId=6204551). 65" seems to be a bit out of your budget ($969) but the 55" is ($599). If you wait a bit you can probably find the 65" on sale, it was as low as $750 around black friday.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Is slight color tinting inherent to OLEDs similar to banding and dse on leds? Just set up a new one and noticed some color tints off on the left of the screen with certain colors. Its noticeable now that I've seen it, but I'm not sure if its one of those things that all OLEDs will have some hint of. If not, I don't want to play panel lottery with 5 or 6 different exchanges trying to get a perfect panel, but if there should be zero uniformity or tint problems I can at least set up a return.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

PageMaster posted:

Is slight color tinting inherent to OLEDs similar to banding and dse on leds? Just set up a new one and noticed some color tints off on the left of the screen with certain colors. Its noticeable now that I've seen it, but I'm not sure if its one of those things that all OLEDs will have some hint of. If not, I don't want to play panel lottery with 5 or 6 different exchanges trying to get a perfect panel, but if there should be zero uniformity or tint problems I can at least set up a return.

When I first got my LG OLED I notice some really weird darker spot on my TV when I first looked at Amazon Prime. I was paranoid for a minute but then after a day or two it just went away. TV has worked perfectly since.

I still don't know what the hell it was. And no, my TV is entirely uniform now, generally I've had way less issues with this TV than any other TV I've had.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Uniformity of my OLED improved over time, but I do see some slight tinting on one side on some solid colored screens.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

JebanyPedal posted:

When I first got my LG OLED I notice some really weird darker spot on my TV when I first looked at Amazon Prime. I was paranoid for a minute but then after a day or two it just went away. TV has worked perfectly since.

I still don't know what the hell it was. And no, my TV is entirely uniform now, generally I've had way less issues with this TV than any other TV I've had.

That actually sounds more accurate to what I'm seeing; not really a color tint but a darker blob on one side of the screen. I'll give it a couple more days and hope it improves.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

PageMaster posted:

That actually sounds more accurate to what I'm seeing; not really a color tint but a darker blob on one side of the screen. I'll give it a couple more days and hope it improves.

Yeah, I at first theorized that it was because my mostly blacked out TV room had a sliver of light leaking from the curtains onto the TV but I fixed that at night so I can't imagine that was really the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if the organic diodes themselves have an evening out period, some level of small tint unevenness is just likely on any panel unless you're super lucky with a flawless panel, but like you said it was a blob, not a gradient discoloration.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Best Buy has the TCL 55" R615 for $500 today, down from $600

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55...e7b3f3e8d1f0INT

Calling again to price match, maybe they won't have a record of the first $50 price match.... really frustrating that their Black Friday price wasn't actually their lowest price on this thing.

Edit: New rep gave me $110 back w/ the sale tax. That's $160 off my Black Friday purchase on this TV, nice...

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 16, 2018

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A guy drove 7+ hours, rented a trailer, and bought my warranty replaced 65” C6P because he loves 3D movies that much. He read my lengthy Craigslist post in its entirety and paid me more than I was asking.

He even had the original box from the tv because the last one he tried to buy was damaged in shipping.

He really, really, really loves 3D movies.

I love the internet sometimes.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is that the last 3D OLED model that they made?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah and had a bunch of dead pixels in corner. Like size of my thumbnail. Decided to warranty replace.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
To be fair the 3D on LG OLEDs is really impressive. My dad has one of the 2015 curved ones and makes me watch a new 3D movie every time I'm home.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The 3d will likely make me hold on to my C6 until it dies.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Astro7x posted:

Calling again to price match, maybe they won't have a record of the first $50 price match.... really frustrating that their Black Friday price wasn't actually their lowest price on this thing.

Edit: New rep gave me $110 back w/ the sale tax. That's $160 off my Black Friday purchase on this TV, nice...

Whoop whoop, thanks man. Just got my $110 back as well.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The 3d will likely make me hold on to my C6 until it dies.

yeah, I didn't use the feature, but am really happy it is going to someone who loves it.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I could use mount recommendations...

I've got a 85" TV I want to mount but the wall studs are spaced in the worst way, so that in order to center the TV on the wall I'd have to attach it to either 1 stud or 3 studs. Bolting it to only 1 stud seems like a bad idea, and I can't find a mount whose wall plate spans 48".

Any suggestions?

smoobles fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 16, 2018

colbyjackcheese
Jan 8, 2006

smoobles posted:

I could use mount recommendations...

I've got a 85" TV I want to mount but the wall studs are spaced in the worst way, so that in order to center the TV on the wall I'd have to attach it to either 1 stud or 3 studs. Bolting it to only 1 stud seems like a bad idea, and I can't find a mount whose wall plate spans 48".

Any suggestions?

Get a bracket that is specifically for an 80” and above tv, drive two lags into one stud, and then space out 4 big toggle bolts for the rest. That sucker won’t go anywhere.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

colbyjackcheese posted:

Get a bracket that is specifically for an 80” and above tv, drive two lags into one stud, and then space out 4 big toggle bolts for the rest. That sucker won’t go anywhere.

This, yeah, just make sure the bracket itself is rated for the weight of the tv. I helped a friend mount a 75” earlier this year on a mantelmount on one stud and it’s drat solid.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hopefully your studs aren’t metal.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

colbyjackcheese posted:

Mines this one, rated for 40-88 inches and 135 lbs. My TV is 85 inches and 100 lbs so I guess I am good.

VideoSecu 24 inch Extension Full Motion Swivel Articulating TV Wall Mount Bracket for Most 40"-90" LED LCD OLED Plasma Flat Screen TV with VESA 684x400,600x400,400x400,200x200mm MW480B BCL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CKL9U2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Dg9fCbSWNQH13

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy

Astro7x posted:

Moving up from using a Dell monitor for a television to a real television, and looking really hard at this one. Mainly to be used in playing movies/shows from a USB (mostly .mkv), which this seems to be able to do.

Should I jump on this? Or are post-holiday sales the way to go? It's been a number of years since I've last decided to make such a purchase.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Bolt Crank posted:

Moving up from using a Dell monitor for a television to a real television, and looking really hard at this one. Mainly to be used in playing movies/shows from a USB (mostly .mkv), which this seems to be able to do.

Should I jump on this? Or are post-holiday sales the way to go? It's been a number of years since I've last decided to make such a purchase.

I find it very unlikely it will dip below $500 during the 2018 holidays. Plus if it does, retroactive price match time. It is most definitely worth $500. I think $600 was a little iffy due to so much god drat uneven grey. If anything pans even slightly on a solid-ish color background I can super clearly see the backlight array.

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy

Something Offal posted:

I find it very unlikely it will dip below $500 during the 2018 holidays. Plus if it does, retroactive price match time. It is most definitely worth $500. I think $600 was a little iffy due to so much god drat uneven grey. If anything pans even slightly on a solid-ish color background I can super clearly see the backlight array.

Yikes, that... doesn't sound great.

I don't mind spending a few more bucks towards something that doesn't have glaring issues like that, so the follow-up question: is there a different television I should be keeping an eye on for a good price, upper limit of about $1k, that would make skipping this TCL a prudent choice?

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Bolt Crank posted:

Yikes, that... doesn't sound great.

I don't mind spending a few more bucks towards something that doesn't have glaring issues like that, so the follow-up question: is there a different television I should be keeping an eye on for a good price, upper limit of about $1k, that would make skipping this TCL a prudent choice?

From what I've learned all the new-fangled HDR + dimming zone LCD panels will show backlight arrays during panning, so you'll have to go OLED to completely get rid of it. It's really not noticeable during most normal content, it just surprised me when it wasn't called out during the rtings review but in reality it is a widespread issue. It probably won't bother you if you're a normal person, and if it does you can return it. The vast majority of the buying public wouldn't notice a thing.

Even taking that problem into account, I highly recommend the TCL and think you'd be happy with it. It's just too good of a value for an asset that has very little resale potential, which is why I'm not dropping $1k+ on a TV until I'm older and greyer.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 17, 2018

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy
Great! I doubt I'm someone who will notice the issue from the sounds of it and, as you mentioned, if I have an issue I can always pop back into Best Buy with it for a return.

Made the decision to buy it. Thank you for the very useful input and help!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
On the TCL, I only really notice the back light array if I'm watching a movie with letter boxing and and there is bright stuff near the top of the letterbox. But wouldn't this happen with any LED TV in this price range? For full 16:9 content I don't notice a thing.

But white text on a black background is never not going to have a glow behind it on an LED, right? You need an OLED to eliminate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Something Offal posted:

so you'll have to go OLED to completely get rid of it.

Negatory. Uniformity issues in gray exist on OLEDs as well. It's just the nature of large screens in general.