Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

cause i hardly ever decide on a restaurant and then want to see it's menu. i go to doordash, search for sushi and then pick the place with the prettiest pictures

isn't door dash and ubereats just delivery apps though? do you use those if you go out somewhere too?

for me i just pull up google maps, search "sushi" and it will show me close lcoations with pictures, reviews and their menu pulled from whatever website seems to have it all in the info box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

In the early days Yelp spent a lot of money throwing parties and other events or their “most valuable reviewers”. It was the saddest goddamned thing.

i had a friend who would take me to these and they were usually pretty fun (in the sense that there was generally a copious amount of free alcohol). made a bunch of friends shortly after moving to a new city at them, and now none use the site at all.

i won't deny that it's p sad, tho

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FCKGW posted:

isn't door dash and ubereats just delivery apps though? do you use those if you go out somewhere too?

for me i just pull up google maps, search "sushi" and it will show me close lcoations with pictures, reviews and their menu pulled from whatever website seems to have it all in the info box

Door Dash and Uber Eats are "please delivery drivers, eat my food" services.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

welp we're officially in a bear market, everyone. congratulations! we finally made it!

so many years of tech buble thread is finally paying dividends :toot:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh hey i hadn't heard anything about the google walkout in awhile

https://twitter.com/rj_gallagher/status/1074718903190896640

https://twitter.com/rj_gallagher/status/1074760378079416320

The Intercept reported in November that privacy and security employees working on the project had been shut out of key meetings and felt that senior executives had sidelined them. Yonatan Zunger, formerly a 14-year veteran of Google and one of the leading engineers at the company, worked on Dragonfly for several months last year and said the project was shrouded in extreme secrecy and handled in a “highly unusual” way from the outset. Scott Beaumont, Google’s leader in China and a key architect of the Dragonfly project, “did not feel that the security, privacy, and legal teams should be able to question his product decisions,” according to Zunger, “and maintained an openly adversarial relationship with them — quite outside the Google norm.”

so it turns out they've been whistleblowing, or leaking

mystes
May 31, 2006

It will be funny if it turns out they just reassigned the project to a different group or subsidiary.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Penisface posted:

also as north korea illustrates, you really do not need a lot to keep up a functioning military apparatus, all the russians had to do was mostly to keep the soviet machinery running, and a lot of that stuff is really bullet proof and you have 40 year old tractors still in good repair and use because at some point the russian factories were KPIing produce by the ton, so to meet quotas they made everything from iron and steel

forty year old tractors in working order are extremely common in the united states and canada

just, they are collectors items for old men to putter around with, not working implements. actual farms use much newer equipment to enable vastly higher productivities

this is one of those comparisons where real gdp is a more valuable figure than ppp gdp

all of the former ussr is marked by lousy agricultural productivity

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
reminds me that a good chunk of agricultural land in russia is actually leased out to like china/korea/etc

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lancemantis posted:

leased out to like china/korea/etc

woops! you accidentally wrote that when you meant to write "unused for decades due to lack of money"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

why aren't we talking about @jack's beard hair?

y'all are slipping.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

That google plus leak must have included my info ‘cause I just got 5 spam calls on my google voice number so I disabled it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
this is p fascinating

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/why-536-was-worst-year-be-alive

one of the worst years in human history was 536 - europe was covered by darkness for 18 months, it snowed in china through the summer and massive famine and plague scoured the known world. they never knew why (there were some guesses), but now they're pretty sure (based on evidence extracted from ice cores) that it was a series of icelandic volcanos going off in rapid succession that hammered the northern hemisphere

they also can track the precise moment the economy recovered - when those same cores show an uptick in lead, which meant smelting and casting new silver coins was underway again (that took about 100 years)

the dark ages loving sucked

it was also the final death knell for the restored roman empire - emperor justinian, working out of constantinople, had reconquered most of the old roman territories around the mediterranean, and was about to push forward and retake the rest. and then this event hit, and the black death (called the plague of justinian) hit the capital city (probably the most populous city on earth at that moment) and killed 40% of the population in a single year. welp, there went the manpower pool and economic base to launch any further conquests. the plague bug originated in equatorial africa, and it never made it up the nile to europe, because passing through the desert would kill the rats and fleas that carried the plague - at least until those volcanos in 536 dropped temperatures by 5-6 degrees in the hemisphere and for a year or two the plague carriers could pass downriver and make it to the mediterranean

boy im sure glad we arent changing the way deadly but isolated diseases spread by loving with the climate on a macro level. that would be really stupid!

also once all that ice loving melts, there goes all that fascinating historical evidence

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pseudorandom name posted:

why aren't we talking about @jack's beard hair?

y'all are slipping.

twitter can't surprise us anymore

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FMguru posted:

this is p fascinating

one of the worst years in human history was 536 - europe was covered by darkness for 18 months, it snowed in china through the summer and massive famine and plague scoured the known world. they never knew why (there were some guesses), but now they're pretty sure (based on evidence extracted from ice cores) that it was a series of icelandic volcanos going off in rapid succession that hammered the northern hemisphere

they also can track the precise moment the economy recovered - when those same cores show an uptick in lead, which meant smelting and casting new silver coins was underway again (that took about 100 years)

it was also the final death knell for the restored roman empire - emperor justinian, working out of constantinople, had reconquered most of the old roman territories around the mediterranean, and was about to push forward and retake the rest. and then this event hit, and the black death (called the plague of justinian) hit the capital city (probably the most populous city on earth at that moment) and killed 40% of the population in a single year. welp, there went the manpower pool and economic base to launch any further conquests. the plague bug originated in equatorial africa, and it never made it up the nile to europe, because passing through the desert would kill the rats and fleas that carried the plague - at least until those volcanos in 536 dropped temperatures by 5-6 degrees in the hemisphere and for a year or two the plague carriers could pass downriver and make it to the mediterranean

boy im sure glad we arent changing the way deadly but isolated diseases spread by loving with the climate on a macro level. that would be really stupid!

also once all that ice loving melts, there goes all that fascinating historical evidence

Thank you for the summary, also rip

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FMguru posted:

i'd argue that boats and airplanes lost that war for us decades ago, but your point stands.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

FMguru posted:

this is p fascinating

the history thread made plenty fun of that article, but it's also worth making fun of the idea that justinian wiping out the population of italy in an attempt to make pretty borders was a worthwhile goal and should have been repeated in other areas.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FMguru posted:

this is p fascinating

we already have plenty of ice cores going all the way down to the bottom of the ice sheets why do we need more :colbert:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I travel extensively for work and often use Yelp to help pick where I'm going to eat. The google maps thing when searching for food or restaurants is a bit wonky, from the interface, to how it renders and displays and navigating through pictures and comments.

Yelp is not great but I was agnostic before I began traveling a lot and I've kind of gravitated toward it as I think it's a bit higher quality than the lovely review integration maps has.

I enjoy how I can easily control for distance and other parameters in search such as open now, liquor and other stuff. The map display is very nice too of the hits.

I only use yelp for restaurants and bars never services.

Because I'm not a turbo nerd I also often ask people but usually cross reference w yelp

E:I do like how maps colors the entertainment or bar areas a beige color tho

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 18, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Waroduce posted:

I travel extensively for work and often use Yelp to help pick where I'm going to eat. The google maps thing when searching for food or restaurants is a bit wonky, from the interface, to how it renders and displays and navigating through pictures and comments.
yeah that's fair. i do the same w/r/t travelling in different cities. i'll often ask like hotel front desk or people at a job site and sometimes they give good recs, othertimes ive been steered heavily wrong before.

yelp is fine in theory, it's just.. well.. yelp. unfortunately i also get ya that google maps is sometimes not great and even worse at filtering.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i miss urbanspoon

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

we already have plenty of ice cores going all the way down to the bottom of the ice sheets why do we need more :colbert:

remember that time that the conservative canadian government threw away or burned centuries' worth of climate science data

https://thetyee.ca/News/2013/12/09/Dismantling-Fishery-Library/

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Midjack posted:

i miss urbanspoon

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Beamed posted:

the history thread made plenty fun of that article, but it's also worth making fun of the idea that justinian wiping out the population of italy in an attempt to make pretty borders was a worthwhile goal and should have been repeated in other areas.

can you link that thread?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Beamed posted:

don't simulcast my ck2 games

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Midjack posted:

i'd argue that boats and airplanes lost that war for us decades ago, but your point stands.

yeah I read Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic and we as a species have done some Neo level bullet dodging so far, bugs that could easily have gone global confined to tens of deaths.

the poo poo in this book about ‘wild cuisine’ https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ye_wei markets in China with all manner of wild creatures who would never normally meet being pressed up snout to wing creating the perfect zoonosis Petri dish; I’m not surprised at the bird and swine flu outbreaks, only that they haven’t been bigger.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTv-s_rOFcQ

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

so some dude on reddit claims Microsoft is ditching Edge for Chromium because Google was pushing breaking features (made specifically to gently caress with edge) that only Chrome supported to their websites faster than they could support them

https://twitter.com/campuscodi/status/1074782772470910976

SEEMS FAMILIAR

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

this looks like rear end

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

so some dude on reddit claims Microsoft is ditching Edge for Chromium because Google was pushing breaking features (made specifically to gently caress with edge) that only Chrome supported to their websites faster than they could support them

SEEMS FAMILIAR

but no you see splitting up google will have no effect, better things are not possible, won't you look instead in this well, actually

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Luigi Thirty posted:

SEEMS FAMILIAR

while google is mighty lovely, perhaps the fault lies in the bad browser that doesn’t error handle properly

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
ah yes, the "error" that was not "handled properly"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

SEEMS FAMILIAR

while i have no doubt whatsoever that this is literally true (a particular annoyance in the past was most google stuff working great on wp, and then they started fingerprinting the wp browser serving up the static web1.0 pages to it), i don't quite get what googles game plan is here, if they needed some toehold on the web sure, but with chrome already dominant it seems at least as bad for them as anyone to have another chromium fragment instead of an actual competitor

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i don't quite get what microsofts game plan is here, if they needed some toehold on the desktop sure, but with office already dominant it seems at least as bad for them as anyone to have another lotus notes fragment instead of an actual competitor

ftfy

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a key difference there was that microsoft charged cash money for their distinctly not-open-source operating system though

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

a key difference there was that microsoft charged cash money for their distinctly not-open-source operating system though

the business model may be different, but monopolistic practices are the same

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/geeoharee/status/1074950117780873216

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
so in conclusion tumblr's death is like the "bring out your dead" scene in monty python and the holy grail

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Beamed posted:

gonna need this thread link

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1075006694781042690

i really want someone to edit together all of facebooks "gosh wow we promise to do better in the future this is really important to us its our highest priority" statements in a single video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Plank Walker posted:

yelp sucks and yelp users suck more. imagine being such a big loving nerd that you voluntarily write book reports on your dinner as a grown rear end adult

About 18 years ago I worked at a car company with a lot of retired guys (who all retired from said car company) who were just working part-time for something to do. One of the guys was someone who meticulously detailed everything he did. He kept a report of number of red traffic lights he hit, green lights, time to get to work. When he went out to eat, he'd record what everyone had, whether it was any good, etc.

When he went on vacation and came back, you could ask how it was, and he'd hand you a folder that had a full report.