Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
https://barnnn.blogspot.com/2018/12/ssssgridman-voice-drama-episode-1111.html?m=1

Translation of 11.11 is out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Obviously, she's a high ranking agent of the Space Patrol.

Manipulating emotionally fragile teenagers into creating kaiju has got to be some sort of space-crime.

Edit: Haha, and her design is actually based of classic Megatron too, so judgment-gun-morphing into a Gridman weapon would even have a twisted sort of symmetry.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 16, 2018

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Akane really is out of ideas...

She's got one more!
https://twitter.com/asitabatomorou/status/1072844440568381441

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
So what does AK get from all this?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

So what does AK get from all this?

If you mean Alexis, at this point I'm pretty sure he's just a dick. Don't think there's that much more to it than that, he's just a demon from the internet who preys upon vulnerable people and fosters hatred because that's just how he do.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

That was some really cute dialogue between Rikka and Utsumi that shows how far they've come since ep3 :3:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

If you mean Alexis, at this point I'm pretty sure he's just a dick. Don't think there's that much more to it than that, he's just a demon from the internet who preys upon vulnerable people and fosters hatred because that's just how he do.

Most likely as otherwise we're coming up on the finale and we still don't really know much regarding where he came from or what his goal is.

In regards to the episode itself I love how nonchalant Rikka's mom is about everything, even after learning the truth ("Huh. That just happened. Well, be careful out there."). While I'm glad the show isn't wearing out its welcome I'm also kind of sad to see it go so soon as I really like this series and its characters. Hopefully Trigger will do more collaborations with Tsuburaya in the future though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 16, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah. The show's been smart enough and tight enough for most of its run that I'm not super worried about them finishing well next week, but I still think going to 13 eps rather than 12 wouldn't have hurt at all.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Gridman is just incredible and I find myself being blown away by it week-by-week at this point. At this stage, I have a lot of faith that they can pull off the finale, but I have no doubt we're going to be left with some mysteries leftover, and I'd be pretty okay with that. It's been such a wonderful ride, and far and beyond what I expected when I decided to give this new Trigger tokusatsu-inspired show a shot.

Gonna second that I love how tight the narrative is, but I'm also sad that it's ending soon. I'm going to miss tuning into a fresh episode every week.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I've never seen original recipe Gridman, but Yuuta's situation here gave me some pretty strong original recipe Ultraman vibes

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I really like this. Until now, these have been mostly funny interludes, mostly disconnected from anything except the episode they follow, but here we have a really strong showing of how much Rikka and Utsumi have grown and how close they've gotten, and a lot of references to every previous voice drama. It's a surprisingly real talk, and reminds us of how well-written they are, it's very down-to-earth and just...god. I love this cast so much. I don't want next week to come.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't think that follows from what we've seen. He doesn't care about Akane's vulnerabilities or her hatred, except to the extent that they lead her to building more powerful kaiju.

He's not just some internet troll (and what would that even mean in this world?) he's producing kaiju for a reason.

Also, a neat detail: the kaiju that finally knocked Anti down was the one he created.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't think that follows from what we've seen. He doesn't care about Akane's vulnerabilities or her hatred, except to the extent that they lead her to building more powerful kaiju.

He's not just some internet troll (and what would that even mean in this world?) he's producing kaiju for a reason.

Also, a neat detail: the kaiju that finally knocked Anti down was the one he created.

I guess I'm more kind of expecting him to just care about creating Kaiju for its own sake than anything else.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

who preys upon vulnerable people and fosters hatred because that's just how he do.

That seems pretty accurate for someone on the internet, actually.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The show has kinda played around with the whole "No one notices the city exploding and thousands dying every week" cliche that toku shows have. Maybe Alexis is actually some kinda Main-Villian program or something that just wants to make sure he has monsters available every week so he can yell "Curse you Gridman!"

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
If this is futuristic enough to have reality-simulation hypnotherapy it's futuristic enough to also isolate and manipulate the specific receptors in the subject's brain. Alexis is Akane's depression externalized and the Gridman program is the treatment plan

e: calling him "an outsider" isn't a reference to where he actually comes from as much as it is an underlining of how clinical depression often feels like an external force making demands of your thought process.

If I did toxxes I would toxx on this stupid theory

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

OK I am now up to four concurrently watched anime shows this season and this may be the best one yet (Zombieland Saga might still edge it out as AOTS)

On episode 2 and I'm already gleefully counting all the transformers references

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Poor Utsumi, trapped in a world that cares more about some kid's feelings than the hundreds of people killed by her tantrums (and/or the people trying to stop them), perhaps even by design. Even his fellow "normal" person Rikka.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If we're doing theories about what's going on with Alexis/Gridman/Akane...

My take is that there's three layers of reality going on. Akane comes from the real world, where she struggles with loneliness and depression. She retreated into the second layer, the cyber-city, presumably on the internet. Someone earlier in the thread mentions that the aesthetics of the cyber-city match with something from the original Gridman, so there might be more about it in the broader universe? Either way I think Alexis and Gridman both come from here, where they habitually have normal tokusatsu kaiju fights for the fate of the world. Alexis found Akane, a troubled, creative girl with a love of kaiju - perfect to help him design weapons for his evil schemes to take over the world.

Alexis offered her the power, using kaiju, to build a world where all of her problems are gone. A world where everyone likes her and wants to be her friend. And they did that - in the sky of the cyber-city they build a facsimile of Akane's home, and all of the people she wishes she could be friends with. This is the third layer. But of course it didn't solve all of her issues, and Alexis knew that from the start. The problem wasn't that people didn't like her at a base level, it's that she doesn't know how to make friends, and can't make those important connections - and now on top of her normal social inability she's got the constant knowledge that everyone she tries to befriend isn't real, and any kindness they show her is just following their programming rather than genuine respect. She doesn't get the personal connections she craves. And Alexis needs her to stay troubled, to keep building weapons, so he pushes at all of the problems she has with people, encourages her worst attitudes, and convinces her to build weapons to prune the city of everything she doesn't like. She makes some good ones, but to get the raw strength and power he needs, they need to be made with real spite and suffering behind them...

Enter Gridman. Whether drawn in by Alexis deliberately, or just pursuing him to stop his evil schemes, Gridman is exactly what Alexis needs to light a fire under his disciple. He separates Gridman from his memories, convincing him that this is the real world and that he needs to save it from the attacking kaiju. Now Akane has an enemy, someone that she does not control and cannot defeat. This world was her retreat from her pain and suffering in her real life, and now something has come in to take it all away from her. She designs kaiju that are stronger, and smarter, and exactly as dangerous as Alexis needs to build his real weapons of war. He intervenes in the conflict, suggesting paths that he knows won't help her but will push her to further extremes. Now she's built kaiju just to destroy her city, destroy everything that she'd come to care about as a sort of elaborate self-harm. He's got everything he needs out of her, very much used her up, and is now disposing of her.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Wishing they hadn't done the Yuta-gets-a-Transformers-voice effect because I got chills when he started talking like Gridman in his voice.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mister Olympus posted:

If this is futuristic enough to have reality-simulation hypnotherapy it's futuristic enough to also isolate and manipulate the specific receptors in the subject's brain. Alexis is Akane's depression externalized and the Gridman program is the treatment plan

e: calling him "an outsider" isn't a reference to where he actually comes from as much as it is an underlining of how clinical depression often feels like an external force making demands of your thought process.

If I did toxxes I would toxx on this stupid theory

Given that the original Gridman Sigma design doc which this show takes a lot from said Alexis is from "the demon world" I'm pretty sure that he's a literal actual outsider, just like the bad guy of the original show, and Gridman was sent in to stop him because he's the literal actual Gridman from the original show

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Actually I wouldn't mind seeing Gridman become it's own separate sub-series (it's basically Ultraman in cyber space after all), with every season featuring a brand new cast and setting with the titular character being the only main constant.

Out of curiosity, just how much from the original Gridman Sigma plans did SSSS actually wind up using and what was left over?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Honestly wouldn't mind another season of Gridman fights badguys in cyberspace but I think it'll be hard to live up to this.

drat shame we never got a Dyna Dragon equivalent in the show though. Unless Trigger does me good and it shows up in the final episode. :awesomelon:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Larryb posted:

Actually I wouldn't mind seeing Gridman become it's own separate sub-series (it's basically Ultraman in cyber space after all), with every season featuring a brand new cast and setting with the titular character being the only main constant.

Out of curiosity, just how much from the original Gridman Sigma plans did SSSS actually wind up using and what was left over?

Okay let me admit I made a mistake first: Gridman F was the name of the scrapped series. Yuta, Akane, and Alexis are all from there in some capacity. It's hard to find any more about it because I don't think they got much further than those three characters.

Gridman Sigma was the scrapped second Gridman who was supposed to be the result of the Akane equivalent from the original series making his own Gridman and then turning good - Anti becoming Gridknight is from there.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, I seem to remember one of the inital trailers for SSSS showing a monster that looked very similar to the original series villain Khan Digifier (or Kilokhan as he was known in the American adaption) but I don't believe it ever got used in the series itself.

If they do make another Gridman show I actually hope they stick with animation rather than trying another live action version, it's more dynamic and you can do much more with animation than you can with live actors and special effects.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Most important question: will the next episode open with a cover of the '93 opening song?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

Most important question: will the next episode open with a cover of the '93 opening song?

That would be awesome but I'm not holding my breath. Another potentially interesting idea that I doubt is going to happen, if we ever get a glimpse of the "real world" at some point during the finale they should switch over to live action briefly.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Schwarzwald posted:

You mean this? Because it's on the same album as Union, this series' opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcyD5hK-HJQ

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, I seem to remember one of the inital trailers for SSSS showing a monster that looked very similar to the original series villain Khan Digifier (or Kilokhan as he was known in the American adaption) but I don't believe it ever got used in the series itself.

If they do make another Gridman show I actually hope they stick with animation rather than trying another live action version, it's more dynamic and you can do much more with animation than you can with live actors and special effects.

If it's what I think it is then it wasn't a trailer, Denkou Choujin Gridman: boys invent great hero was a short Trigger did with a bunch of young animators as sort of a proof of concept for what would later become SSSS,Gridman.

Edit: Youtube

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

If it's what I think it is then it wasn't a trailer, Denkou Choujin Gridman: boys invent great hero was a short Trigger did with a bunch of young animators as sort of a proof of concept for what would later become SSSS,Gridman.

Edit: Youtube

Yeah that was it, and the scene in question was apparently just a flashback. Nevermind then.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmKVmALbkkE

Songs for the four important humans. I sure wish I could understand Japanese.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
lol I just realized that this is the mecha version of the Madoka Rebellion movie.

A traumatized girl creates a fake version of her city, bringing its inhabitants in with it. She increasingly finds that she can't live the idyllic normal life that she wants from it. The fake world suppresses her friends' memories and makes them think everything is normal. There is a scene where they try to take public transportation out of the city, only to find that there's nothing outside of it. The platonic ideal of a Savior, embodied in the normal human form of the protagonist, has secreted into the fake world with a small group of allies in order to rescue the traumatized girl. An evil space alien is manipulating the girl. She transforms into a giant monster.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Ohhh, so that's why the kaiju girl knew who Yuta was and thanked him

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cephas posted:

lol I just realized that this is the mecha version of the Madoka Rebellion movie.

A traumatized girl creates a fake version of her city, bringing its inhabitants in with it. She increasingly finds that she can't live the idyllic normal life that she wants from it. The fake world suppresses her friends' memories and makes them think everything is normal. There is a scene where they try to take public transportation out of the city, only to find that there's nothing outside of it. The platonic ideal of a Savior, embodied in the normal human form of the protagonist, has secreted into the fake world with a small group of allies in order to rescue the traumatized girl. An evil space alien is manipulating the girl. She transforms into a giant monster.

poo poo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cephas posted:

Of course then at the end of that movie the truamatized girl then captures said Savior when all is said and done and then traps everyone in a new reality that she controls. Speaking of which it's kind of a pity that the proposed third movie in that series never got off the ground.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Nobody mentioned Calibur busting out laughing and everyone being surprised by it.

Mama Takarada knows what's up, almost guaranteed.

Speculation: Rikka is not fake and programmed to be Akane's friend, but an insertion/absorption of the real Rikka into Akane's cyber dream world. This goes back to Akane and Rikka probably having some falling out that devastated the former. It's apt for Akane to be completely wrong in her assertions about other people and be trying to push them away by asserting they're inauthentic.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ranzear posted:

Nobody mentioned Calibur busting out laughing and everyone being surprised by it.

Mama Takarada knows what's up, almost guaranteed.

Speculation: Rikka is not fake and programmed to be Akane's friend, but an insertion/absorption of the real Rikka into Akane's cyber dream world. This goes back to Akane and Rikka probably having some falling out that devastated the former. It's apt for Akane to be completely wrong in her assertions about other people and be trying to push them away by asserting they're inauthentic.

If that's true, it would explain why Rikka's mom is constantly talking about the rest of the family but we never see them. It's been kind of odd how we keep hearing they exist while only spending time with two of them, to the extent that people who don't listen to the audio dramas assume she's a widow.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cephas posted:

They're both basically just Dark City

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Oh right, official previews for the last episode.

https://gridman.net/story/#/12

Synopsis (not really spoilery, but in case someone hasn't seen the previous episode yet): Yuta and Gridman have awoken and became one true figure. The hearts of all are connected and the final battle begins.

The episode's name is Awakening, just like the first episode, but every title 'til now has had a dividing dot in the title characters; this one doesn't. Reference provided for episode 1.

Also, the BDs apparently have a bonus voice drama: 2.9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/bahijd/status/1074943292947591169?s=19