Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
What's everyone's go to render these days? I like the speeds I see on Redshift but wonder if anyone with experience can pinpoint the cons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

What's everyone's go to render these days? I like the speeds I see on Redshift but wonder if anyone with experience can pinpoint the cons

Been using redshift/max in production for almost 3 years now. It's fast and good. They've been steadily adding features to the point where it's comparable with Arnold and vray feature wise. As it's gpu based it seems more prone to weird crashes and it doesn't seem to handle massive amounts of geometry that well, like it will run out of Vram on complex scenes with large textures. I'm using a single 970 so maybe I just have an old card, the other work machines seem to crash much less often.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
We've been vray for a decade now. Still on 3.6 - the reason we've not upgraded is because vray next & every point release since is outrageously GPU focused. Every image I posted on the last page used 50+gb of RAM though.

I get the impression we've hit the peak of CPU rendering, every engine going is shifting to GPU.
Once we can render 64gb scenes and arbitrarily swap memory in and out (which vlado of vray fame believes is coming very soon) we will happily switch over. Im pretty loyal to vray - they've proven to always be able to adapt to new ways of doing things and have always provided a ridiculous level of control of how it gets there. Not super user friendly, but pays off in production.

Vile Pilot
Jan 19, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Trying to get a cartoonish Trump head done:

Does anyone have any advice for sculpting likenesses?

Vile Pilot fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 16, 2018

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vile Pilot posted:

Trying to get a cartoonish Trump head done:

Does anyone have any advice for sculpting likenesses?

Meticulous image research, getting really good reference that you can align as side/front/etc views. You can imagine how difficult that would be using different photo sources from the web. It's like anything, your first one will probably be pretty bad, next one will be better, one after that you'll actually be pleased with, etc.

Maybe look up what caricature artists focus on with Trump and use that to exaggerate your base model once you have the real proportions lined up more or less

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

hey i have this blockout for a potential star wars ship design, im thinking of it as a corellian patrol ship. could anyone maybe give me some feedback on how i should maybe change it at this stage to make it look better?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Some months back I saw a link to a program that lets you scrub through video, I think it might have been in this thread, but now I can't find it. Does anyone remember if that was here? It seemed like a pretty lightweight viewer that might have other functions, I don't think it was just for scrubbing.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Kanine posted:

hey i have this blockout for a potential star wars ship design, im thinking of it as a corellian patrol ship. could anyone maybe give me some feedback on how i should maybe change it at this stage to make it look better?

Well, intentionally or not it looks a lot like the original "pirate ship" design for the Millennium Falcon, which then evolved in to the Blockade Runner.

You can see it various stages here, from about 1/4 to 1/2 the way down the page: https://kitbashed.com/blog/a-complete-history-of-the-millennium-falcon

So on the one hand (if you didn't know about that early design), cool, but on the other, you've sort of re-invented an ok starting point that branched in to two much stronger designs!

For this blockout, I'd say the issue (as a Star Wars ship) is that there's no particularly strong silhouette or dominant shapes. Each "piece" is about the same size, and the rhythm of those pieces and how they intersect is similar across the whole design. It's all medium forms, instead of medium forms breaking up an identifiable large form. It shouldn't take much to push this design to a point where there is an obvious overall shape. You could also try for a top silhouette that looks immediately different from a side silhouette.

Once you have something working on the large shape level, I think the shape language of the medium forms that you have already will serve to communicate the "Corellian / Star Wars" part, and then from there it's refining and details. Interested to see what you come up with.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Oh hey UK game workers made a Union.

https://news.sky.com/story/video-games-workers-create-union-to-demand-rights-11581699

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

We sure did! Our inaugural meeting was yesterday - very exciting stuff.

If you work in games in the UK, join us!

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

this is so exciting

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Well, intentionally or not it looks a lot like the original "pirate ship" design for the Millennium Falcon, which then evolved in to the Blockade Runner.

You can see it various stages here, from about 1/4 to 1/2 the way down the page: https://kitbashed.com/blog/a-complete-history-of-the-millennium-falcon

So on the one hand (if you didn't know about that early design), cool, but on the other, you've sort of re-invented an ok starting point that branched in to two much stronger designs!

For this blockout, I'd say the issue (as a Star Wars ship) is that there's no particularly strong silhouette or dominant shapes. Each "piece" is about the same size, and the rhythm of those pieces and how they intersect is similar across the whole design. It's all medium forms, instead of medium forms breaking up an identifiable large form. It shouldn't take much to push this design to a point where there is an obvious overall shape. You could also try for a top silhouette that looks immediately different from a side silhouette.

Once you have something working on the large shape level, I think the shape language of the medium forms that you have already will serve to communicate the "Corellian / Star Wars" part, and then from there it's refining and details. Interested to see what you come up with.

thank you for the feedback! that's really helpful!

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.artstation.com/kanine01

hey im curious also if i could maybe get some feedback on the state of my portfolio and how to improve it/my work overall?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Kanine posted:

https://www.artstation.com/kanine01

hey im curious also if i could maybe get some feedback on the state of my portfolio and how to improve it/my work overall?

Tangential question but is art station supposed to be a pro/serious site, or can I throw my crap render practices in there like some sort of Instagram for CG?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

floofyscorp posted:

We sure did! Our inaugural meeting was yesterday - very exciting stuff.

If you work in games in the UK, join us!

Hell yeah dude!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Listerine posted:

Some months back I saw a link to a program that lets you scrub through video, I think it might have been in this thread, but now I can't find it. Does anyone remember if that was here? It seemed like a pretty lightweight viewer that might have other functions, I don't think it was just for scrubbing.

Djv viewer maybe? It's good

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Tangential question but is art station supposed to be a pro/serious site, or can I throw my crap render practices in there like some sort of Instagram for CG?

i figure that's what artstation blog posts are for?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

most people seem to put their best foot forward

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Twitter/artstation-blog for the works in progress then final product on your artstation gallery.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
I recently got back into messing around with the ol' 3D after not touching it for well over a decade, been learning the ropes of Houdini + Octane.

It feels like I'm reaching the point where I can make artsy fartsy poo poo that actually looks mostly how I imagined and I'm pretty loving stoked about that.

Any good? Any advice?

I find actual Instagram makes a pretty good Instagram for CG, there's a metric fuckton of talent on there.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

dumb. posted:

I recently got back into messing around with the ol' 3D after not touching it for well over a decade, been learning the ropes of Houdini + Octane.

It feels like I'm reaching the point where I can make artsy fartsy poo poo that actually looks mostly how I imagined and I'm pretty loving stoked about that.

Any good? Any advice?

I like it. If I had any advice it's that the central figure is a bit off. The color is off putting (but not in a good way) and unfortunately the lack of detail, while I'm sure intentional, feels a little "Poser Model-ish." But otherwise I like it all

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I love the colors and the contrast between shiny and matte materials on the falling figure caught in the fabric, and I agree with Bonoman on the reclining figure, but I'm no artist so take that for what it's worth.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

BonoMan posted:

I like it. If I had any advice it's that the central figure is a bit off. The color is off putting (but not in a good way) and unfortunately the lack of detail, while I'm sure intentional, feels a little "Poser Model-ish." But otherwise I like it all

Listerine posted:

I love the colors and the contrast between shiny and matte materials on the falling figure caught in the fabric, and I agree with Bonoman on the reclining figure, but I'm no artist so take that for what it's worth.

Thanks homies!

I've been checking out a lot of renaissance stuff lately and was kind of going for that effect with the reclining pose, but I am profoundly unskilled with the human form so it always ends up looking awkward like that :downs:

Figure I just have to keep at it and keep learning.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

dumb. posted:

Thanks homies!

I've been checking out a lot of renaissance stuff lately and was kind of going for that effect with the reclining pose, but I am profoundly unskilled with the human form so it always ends up looking awkward like that :downs:

Figure I just have to keep at it and keep learning.

Actually I think the pose is fine. Just the material and/or lighting? Maybe just the material. But hey it's yours so of you're happy with it that's all that matters!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

dumb. posted:

Any good? Any advice?

I find actual Instagram makes a pretty good Instagram for CG, there's a metric fuckton of talent on there.

Love the colors, and I agree the model is not well lit. I love these kinds of abstract color images, how long did this take you?

I’m a bit biased against Instagram due to them being owned by Facebook, but I guess that’s where everyone is right now so...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ironically insta seems to have a big fish/small pond thing for CG artists since the selfie models are extra impressed

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You also get a real big uptick in likes when you Google "popular hash tags right now" and use those so you get comments from bots that are like "So cute!" on your Instagram post of a cell phone video of an arm rig or whatever.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://forgerapp.com/

I'm kind of amazed at this. $7 and it's a tiny version of zbrush that runs on your phone / ipad and how the hell does it actually work

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm kind of amazed at this. $7 and it's a tiny version of zbrush that runs on your phone / ipad and how the hell does it actually work

Does it actually work?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its somehow running on my iphone 5s what the gently caress

Honestly I'll be using it on my pad and with a stylus but holy poo poo it runs on a lovely 5s.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Someone at a recent Houdini user event showed me this, a web-based sculpting solution. I didn't play around with it too much so I'm not sure what it can do.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Listerine posted:

Someone at a recent Houdini user event showed me this, a web-based sculpting solution. I didn't play around with it too much so I'm not sure what it can do.

This is really amazing. Engineering something like this is pretty intense. I’m not sure how useful this actually is but, wow, it’s a drat impressive effort.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Listerine posted:

this is really impressive

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

I bought this and playing with it, it seems pretty awesome. Wish someone with Zbrush knowledge evaluated it

Listerine posted:

Holy crap, this is ridiculous :aaa:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Listerine posted:

does anyone know if there's a way to get the voxel remeshing to go at a higher resolution? Or if there's another alternative besides zremesher to this sort of thing? (preferably free?)

Kanine fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 20, 2018

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Listerine posted:

This needs to be an ipad app like yesterday.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

keyframe posted:

This needs to be an ipad app like yesterday.

Why? It already runs in the browser.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

just a whitepaper right now but this....

https://grail.cs.washington.edu/projects/wakeup/

Photo Wake-Up: 3D Character Animation from a Single Photo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G63goXc5MyU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Gasmask posted:

http://support.manictime.com/knowledgebase/articles/686196-copying-autotags-to-tags

It looks like there might be a way to do this with tagging groups as one? I.e maybe manually tagging specific sets of auto tags, to add that info?

The tagging system has been a little weird for me because of the amount of jumping I do between programs and projects, even among single programs, so I have hundreds of 1-3 minute program logs in ManicTime and sorting through can be a bitch.

I haven’t been generating my time sheets with it yet, but now that I’m freelancing for another client on top of Theory, I need a more efficient way to separate out my work. I’ll let you know if I find an efficient way to generate with specifics, as this is a super-useful program and I’d like to use all its features.

And on that note, I’ve got something like a 30+ hour continual stretch of work I need to invoice - let’s just say the studio made some insane scope changes a week before final delivery, that required dramatically adding to the already built, lit, and shaded set... so instead of rendering, I’ve had to model and shade a bunch, and then bake lighting on dozens of parts so we can actually render this hugely increased scope and get it to the comp team, who will have like a day to do this (final delivery is Tuesday...).
Oh, and my little freelance team I use to get big stuff done was gone, the three other artists I rely on all had day jobs/life stuff happening at last second, so I was soloing most of these notes...

TV VFX sucks, guys.

Post necromancy.

ManicTime is awesome at auto time tracking however half of our users are on Mac and there's no real good Mac support at all. You can literally just upload untagged data to the server which is loving pointless.

Does anybody have any time tracking alternatives to ManicTime (Timing is similar on the mac... but Mac only!) that works the same on Mac and PC?

There's a thousand time tracking apps but they almost all rely on manual entry. ManicTime is great for our employees because it gets you 3/4ths of the way there with the auto tracking and you just need to commit the time to projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Why? It already runs in the browser.

cause pressure sensitivity don't work with it. :(