Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Got a Pixel 3 replaced yesterday with Carphone Warehouse in the UK. For the interested, it had terrible screen uniformity issues at low brightness, especially with Night Light on. It was also randomly vibrating at times.

The new handset has a much better display so it kinda feels like the screen lottery from the Pixel 2 XL, since both displays are LG panels.

I also can't fault CW's customer service - I was in the shop less than 10 minutes before walking out with a new phone and they didn't ask for evidence of the shite screen, though I had it.

I've noticed a few dropped frames here and there with this Pixel 3 and the last one, but the Pixel 2 rarely had this.

Anyone else seeing something similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've noticed a few dropped frames here and there with this Pixel 3 and the last one, but the Pixel 2 rarely had this.

Anyone else seeing something similar?

How can you tell that it's dropping frames?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

nimper posted:

How can you tell that it's dropping frames?

Stuttering animations here and there, where there shouldn't be any. Could be Nova I suppose, which hasn't had a non-beta update since May.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
my work's IT guy has let me borrow his oppo R15 while I send my pixel 2XL away to (hopefully) have its USB port fixed and this thing is hosed. the display size is huge, the nav bar takes up a solid 1/12 of the screen and notifications are a disaster. they don't show in the status bar, you can't swipe them away when they pop up on screen, you have to drag down the notification shade and dismiss all of them at once. there doesn't seem to be any way to change any of this either.

I appreciate him letting me use it but goddamn. the vibration sucks too

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
On my new Note 9 I've noticed that I don't get pop-ups for Facebook Messenger notifications (not the chat head, but the message window at the top of screen). Instead, the notification icon just appears at the top and I have to swipe down to see what I've received. I was previously using a rooted S7 that I think was running Android 7.1ish. Anything I can do to have those notifications appear? The relevant settings in the app's in-app options and the app manager's notifications area seem to be switched on.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

codo27 posted:

Myself and gf both getting a lot less rewards surveys since we got Huawei phones. I just opened the app a while ago and then just now finally got one. We used to get them I'll say nearly daily. Now maybe weekly.

bull3964 posted:

If I were to guess, I would say more restrictive background settings leading to less accurate location tracking.

It's this I think. My wife and I share locations with each other. She had a Huwawei P10 Plus for a while and the whole time she had it, she never got any location based surveys, and her location was always several hours out of date. As soon as she switched to a Moto G6, both problems resolved. I think it's overly aggressive memory management.

e: that said, though, I've just realised I haven't had one for over a month, and I used to get them every couple of days.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

On my new Note 9 I've noticed that I don't get pop-ups for Facebook Messenger notifications (not the chat head, but the message window at the top of screen). Instead, the notification icon just appears at the top and I have to swipe down to see what I've received. I was previously using a rooted S7 that I think was running Android 7.1ish. Anything I can do to have those notifications appear? The relevant settings in the app's in-app options and the app manager's notifications area seem to be switched on.

That's a notification option that's not easy to see at first glance (assuming the Note 9 is similar enough to stock android).

Go to the app in apps. Touch the notification settings. At that point, you should get the list of notifications that the app is doing. Now touch on the TEXT of the notification type you want to alter.

At that point, you should have an option to alter behavior with 4 different types.

"Make sound and pop on screen"
"Make sound"
"Show silently"
"Show silently and minimize"

The last one makes it so the notification can only be seen when you swipe down the shade. The first option is what you would want in this case.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Relatedly, is there any way to change anything about the lock screen icons themselves?

Last month I moved from a Windows Phone and was used to lock screen notifications looking like this:

It may seem trivial, but the slightly larger icons and count made it really easy to see stuff "at a glance."

What I'm seeing on the Pixel 3/Android with the smaller icons all kind of jammed next to each other in the middle isn't doing it for me. I've turned off notifications for all apps except phone and SMS and I still find myself having to reconfigure apps to stop making GBS threads up the lock screen.

Are there any options? I'm also using a Google stand but I don't see options for configuring the lock screen there either.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cheesus posted:

Relatedly, is there any way to change anything about the lock screen icons themselves?

Last month I moved from a Windows Phone and was used to lock screen notifications looking like this:

It may seem trivial, but the slightly larger icons and count made it really easy to see stuff "at a glance."

What I'm seeing on the Pixel 3/Android with the smaller icons all kind of jammed next to each other in the middle isn't doing it for me. I've turned off notifications for all apps except phone and SMS and I still find myself having to reconfigure apps to stop making GBS threads up the lock screen.

Are there any options? I'm also using a Google stand but I don't see options for configuring the lock screen there either.

I want to say there are custom launchers that can do this but admittedly I am not anywhere near up to speed on the latest custom launcher news.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So many things about WP were so nice, I particularly miss the voice control where I used to be able to read out and respond to texts (5 years ago) in the car completely hands free. Its too bad that such a bad narrative surrounded it and really prevented developers from getting onboard. I never would have left if not for the app availability. Ironically, it was the removal of the only snapchat client which was third party which was the straw that broke the camels back. Now I'm considering getting rid of snap all together.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Use Android Auto. It feels like it's in beta, but it let's you do texts just like that.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

codo27 posted:

Myself and gf both getting a lot less rewards surveys since we got Huawei phones. I just opened the app a while ago and then just now finally got one. We used to get them I'll say nearly daily. Now maybe weekly.

I added the app to prevent automatic power management and that helped me start getting them again. Huawei power management is way way too aggressive.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

codo27 posted:

So many things about WP were so nice, I particularly miss the voice control where I used to be able to read out and respond to texts (5 years ago) in the car completely hands free. Its too bad that such a bad narrative surrounded it and really prevented developers from getting onboard. I never would have left if not for the app availability. Ironically, it was the removal of the only snapchat client which was third party which was the straw that broke the camels back. Now I'm considering getting rid of snap all together.

I'm sure it was the "bad narrative" that prevented developers from getting on board and not MS abandoning two phone OSes in three years.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Uthor posted:

Use Android Auto. It feels like it's in beta, but it let's you do texts just like that.
AHH!!!

Thanks for reminding me. I was driving this weekend it came up and I thought, "maybe I should see if this works better than the default lock screen."

I of course forgot all about it when I came home.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Cheesus posted:

AHH!!!

Thanks for reminding me. I was driving this weekend it came up and I thought, "maybe I should see if this works better than the default lock screen."

I of course forgot all about it when I came home.

Android auto has it's problems, but it is world better than fiddling with your phone. If there was a good way to access the radio with it, I'd use it exclusively.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'll give the AA a try again. My stupid loving honda has the absolute most useless system for a loving 2015. Got a big hard on for apple, but connect anything else and it doesn't do poo poo. If you get a text you have to press on the drat screen to tell it to read it out and then select one of a few baked in responses, so its not effective or safe. I've been temped to go to a u-pick and try and pull a head unit out of a >'16 model with AA to see if it would work.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Wacky Delly posted:

Android auto has it's problems, but it is world better than fiddling with your phone. If there was a good way to access the radio with it, I'd use it exclusively.

Yes! Or USB drive. I finally got used to keeping a running queue on my phone, but I much preferred playing the music off a USB drive I plugged in.

FWIW, I can play USB audio or radio in the background, but need to switch out of Auto to adjust it.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

In case anybody needs Pixel store codes:

Pixel 3 Promo code:
B-Z9GO3CSCXFOWB4N32ZL182U
Pixel 3 XL Promo code:
B-Z9HYKXMME0I5UDZXTO41PNF

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
When I send or receive videos they are horribly compressed garbage. What is causing this? I've looked in my Google settings, Messenger settings, and in the photos app and can't figure it out. I have it set to record 4k but when I text them to friends you can't even tell what's going on in the video. Likewise, when one is sent to me, it's a compressed artifacty piece of trash with bad sound.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm pretty sure there's a limit to the size you can send with MMS.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

MMS will compress video. It limits the file size.

Use a different messaging service, upload to Google Photos or Dropbox, or use YouTube.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MMS has a size limit of 600kb. There's only so much you can do with that. Use a chat program or video hosting and just send a link.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I know I should have asked before I bought, but after reading a bunch of really positive reviews, I bought the Moto G6. My current phone is a super-old Moto G (gen 1), so I wanted something similar.

I hope I didn't make a mistake? Like I say, it reviewed really well everywhere I could find.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
It's aggressively Okay. You can do worse.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

MMS will compress video. It limits the file size.

Use a different messaging service, upload to Google Photos or Dropbox, or use YouTube.

Why was I able to send much higher quality video from my iPhone 7 to my Android friends? That was also MMS right? For example, I used my iPhone all the time to text videos to my boss of things happening at work (he has a Samsung Note) and the videos looked great. I can't be going crazy.

I went to a party on Saturday and a video was sent out to a bunch of us. I asked around and looked at the video on a few people's phones (which they got over text, some Android some iPhone) and they looked miles better than the version I received.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

iddqd posted:

When I send or receive videos they are horribly compressed garbage. What is causing this? I've looked in my Google settings, Messenger settings, and in the photos app and can't figure it out. I have it set to record 4k but when I text them to friends you can't even tell what's going on in the video. Likewise, when one is sent to me, it's a compressed artifacty piece of trash with bad sound.

I've gotten a lot of use out of going to Google photos, long pressing the video, hitting the share button, and choosing "share link" or "create link" or whatever the text is. The people you send it to don't need an account or the Google photos app to view it, and it's great quality.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

iddqd posted:

Why was I able to send much higher quality video from my iPhone 7 to my Android friends? That was also MMS right? For example, I used my iPhone all the time to text videos to my boss of things happening at work (he has a Samsung Note) and the videos looked great. I can't be going crazy.

I went to a party on Saturday and a video was sent out to a bunch of us. I asked around and looked at the video on a few people's phones (which they got over text, some Android some iPhone) and they looked miles better than the version I received.

Videos I receive from an AT&T user and an iPhone look like rear end on my Note 8(Verizon). I can't even send a video link through MMS because I will get the too large file error code.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe your carrier lets you send larger files if it stays within the carrier.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

I've gotten a lot of use out of going to Google photos, long pressing the video, hitting the share button, and choosing "share link" or "create link" or whatever the text is. The people you send it to don't need an account or the Google photos app to view it, and it's great quality.

Same here. Google photos is a really great platform tbh

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So I've had a S7 for a long time and it's been nothing but a pain in the neck since I got it. I cracked my screen back in September and I'm about on my wits end with this thing anyway, so what would be a good midrange phone that isn't too much of a step down from the S7? Preferably something I can just pay for and be done with. I have a fire 10 for android games and poo poo anyway, I don't need a powerhouse.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along
Is the Google pixel 3 xl a solid pick for an android upgrade from a galaxy s7, or even for a good overall android phone?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yes. In general you should feel safe purchasing a phone made by the same people that make and maintain the operating system it runs.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Is the Google pixel 3 xl a solid pick for an android upgrade from a galaxy s7, or even for a good overall android phone?

The only real complaints people have had about the P3/XL are that it's "not as big an improvement" over the P2 as some would like, and/or that it's expensive. Some people have had some minor issues fixed by RMAing defective handsets, but there's not too much systematically to dislike with them.

The first complaint still places it as the best Android phone you can get today; it'll be a nice upgrade from something as old as the S7.

The second complaint is mitigated a bit by either the $100/$150 off at the Google Store, or $300 off at BestBuy, depending on your carrier.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

RZA Encryption posted:

Yes. In general you should feel safe purchasing a phone made by the same people that make and maintain the operating system it runs.

You SHOULD feel safe, but you also shouldn't because lol Google.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

RZA Encryption posted:

loving lol

the only company you can fool yourself into thinking this with is apple with their public displays of sticking it to the man and that only goes so far.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Yes.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along

RZA Encryption posted:

This is a good point.

I can expect software updates as they happen instead of every six years or whatever that Samsung gets them.

No expandable storage is kinda whack, but shouldn't matter. Even with roughly 1,110 songs on my 32 GB phone, it's only taking up 4 GB.

A Pixel 3 XL it is. Merry Christmas to me.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Codes if anyone wants them for 100 off Pixel and 150 off XL.
Pixel 3 Promo code: 
B-0QRYQOS2T9TKGW5OZ6YQXSB
Pixel 3 XL Promo code: 
B-0QQOT5M50GYEMZIGPMLQEKR

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

iddqd posted:

It's possible iOS showed you the pre-compression video on your end and sent the compressed video to your Android friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Is there anyway I can have the phone app automatically "screen call" when I get any call not in my contacts? I feel like it's gotta be so annoying for spam callers to have to route my call to an agent and listen to that robot so I'd love to make it the default behavior.