Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Derlix
Dec 9, 2005
Smug, Pantsless Bastard
While I can't speak for others, I know that most of the money I spent on HotS was before 2.0 dropped. I definitely put more than a hundred bucks into the game but 2.0 pretty much killed any desire I had to throw cash at Blizzard, as you couldn't just buy the drat cosmetic you wanted anymore.

After the relaunch, events just felt kind of lovely as I'd open crates and never get the skins I was excited for. 2.0 was a great move for free to play folk, but gently caress if I'm ever paying for a loot box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I never spent money on crates, I would buy the character packs and the occasional bundle. And I bought a Year Long stimpack last black friday when it was ludicrously cheap. But I didn't this year cause I haven't really been playing it since after the weird Raven Lord's Revenge event with alterac valley.

So yeah I guess it's my fault HOTS died, sorry guys.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I started with 2.0 spent maybe 20 bucks or something? Still playing with folks I met in the game and TL queue at least has been like 10 seconds so pretty ok.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Elysium posted:

HOTS 2.0 was amazing for F2P players. Before I had to deal with no skins and pleb horse, now I have hundreds of skins and mounts and 10 announcers and 15,000 shards for free. It boggles my mind that people spend hundreds of dollars on this game because having 10 skins for every character isn’t enough, they need 11.

Same. It became a challenge to see how much I could get from the game without spending real money. I think I’ve spent 5 bucks since 2.0? I still don’t own all the heroes, but that’s because I bought a lot of the gold-sinks (mounts, announcers) they were adding.

Yet I still think they could’ve made the game more attractive by giving away more free poo poo. I still don’t understand why they took away those bundles for the 2.0 launch after a month. It’s like they had no one caring for new players or the new player experience in general. Now that the demise is imminent, I hope they start opening the floodgates. Make all the heroes more than 50% off to begin with, gem and gold prices.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I still contend the changes to fort ammo and murky nerfs were where the game really slipped up.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Moola posted:

New content is actually bad because my brain is slow and new things scare me

It kind of is in f2p games because it's usually something new to buy, and in some games it's something new you have to buy to stay competitive. That said, despite HotS's fast-ish release schedule (for heroes at least), there were never enough heroes that I wanted to buy after getting my core support set finished.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
I just checked my transaction summary and I haven't spent any money on this game since the month 2.0 came out. I definitely would have bought some more skins had they not been bundle-only (and did buy several before the 2.0 change). Still playing, though, at least until the people I play with quit.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Moola posted:

As someone who played UT99 q3 Cs TFC etc I think toxicity is way worse now, but maybe I was just better at ignoring it back then

People could drop in and drop out and be replaced. Stress is a much smaller problem when you can leave at any time.

The key cause of the stress is that some people play video games very much to win and other people just do it to play the game the way they like, and matchmaking queue systems like the major MOBAs and Overwatch crowd those people together and force them to play together with punishments if they simply get tired of each other. I'm frequently most deaths on any MOBA team regardless of role or hero because I play everything I play Quake 1 DM: frantically clicking and moving around spamming attacks at everything I can see, regardless of how outgunned I am. I very rarely prioritize survivability, because surviving in video games isn't a fun concept compared to ADHD-fueled, push-buttons-faster, Yippie Ki Yay Motherfucker antics (consequently games like Don't Starve and it's ilk I don't even bother with, and my interest in Counter Strike lasted seconds after I noticed I didn't respawn immediately.) I can understand that people who want to play to win would get tired of playing with me getting jollies playing the bad way that gives me personal enjoyment but doesn't frequently lead to wins.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 18, 2018

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

People could drop in and drop out and be replaced. Stress is a much smaller problem when you can leave at any time.

The key cause of the stress is that some people play video games very much to win and other people just do it to play the game the way they like, and matchmaking queue systems like the major MOBAs and Overwatch crowd those people together and force them to play together with punishments if they simply get tired of each other. I'm frequently most deaths on any MOBA team regardless of role or hero because I play everything I play Quake 1 DM: frantically clicking and moving around spamming attacks at everything I can see, regardless of how outgunned I am. I very rarely prioritize survivability, because surviving in video games isn't a fun concept compared to ADHD-fueled, push-buttons-faster, Yippie Ki Yay Motherfucker antics (consequently games like Don't Starve and it's ilk I don't even bother with, and my interest in Counter Strike lasted seconds after I noticed I didn't respawn immediately.) I can understand that people who want to play to win would get tired of playing with me getting jollies playing the bad way that gives me personal enjoyment but doesn't frequently lead to wins.

I too like trolling folks by playing like garbage.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I too like trolling folks by playing like garbage.

Weirdly it's why I liked Abathur, I can position myself in safety and pop stuff while someone else takes control of the positioning, like the gunner in Smash TV or something. I've had lost causes that went on way longer than they should have because I'm pretty good at juggling all the lanes pushed out and then show up to use his Morphling-like mimic move to cover someone under attack.

Also if you think it's "trolling folks" playing in QM or unranked or whatever, which is all I ever do, then I don't know what to tell you. It's not my fault genres from all of gaming are pushing the competitive esports MMR queuing system over drop-in/out dedicated servers and loving around. What exactly do you do when you think 1997 was the best year for gaming. "Trolling" implies I'm not trying but I've had games of Dota that left me sweating from tension; it's more just I'm just rigid and unadaptable and aware that I'm bad.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 18, 2018

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
It appears as trolling because you are basically acknowledging that it's a team game that you aren't interested in playing properly and you don't care because just pressing the buttons and doing stuff is fun for you, while also acknowledging that the game is putting people on your team that probably want to play normally and that they are basically trapped with you. I think that is a big part of why Mobas and OW have had such issues with salt and toxicity. It's because there are a whole lot of people insistent upon inflicting their fun on everyone else. Like there is some entitlement to play any game they want in any way that they want, regardless of whether it is a team game or not, which is like buying a ticket for a movie and just talking on your phone the whole time, imo.

There is nothing wrong with trying new things in QM or whatever but saying that you basically feed in a game because you don't care about running in outnumbered in team games where deaths matter is kinda scummy, QM or not.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Even if you consider what hes doing "trolling" hes not gonna have a sky high MMR doing that so everyone else in his games are more than likely also bad but for different reasons and they dont know it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean HotS does have a character where you can just sort of run around and make dumb plays and still actually manage to contribute positively to your team's success if that's your thing, just play Murky.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Also think HotS 2.0 was a mistake. I spent over £50 on this before that and had taken a break when it came out. When I came back 3 months ago, I had so much stuff that I haven't spent a penny since. That and the ammo changes were IMO big mistakes. But I don't think anything would have saved the game, at most bought another year. I don't think there's room for so many MOBAs if even the big two are supposedly losing players.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Just lol if you get angry at someone playing badly in QM

Pressing all the buttons is good and cool

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

kaesarsosei posted:

Also think HotS 2.0 was a mistake. I spent over £50 on this before that and had taken a break when it came out. When I came back 3 months ago, I had so much stuff that I haven't spent a penny since. That and the ammo changes were IMO big mistakes. But I don't think anything would have saved the game, at most bought another year. I don't think there's room for so many MOBAs if even the big two are supposedly losing players.

I don't think the ammo changes were honestly as big a deal as they were made out to be, and the tactical depth of dropping roaches or demon warriors onto towers until they run out of shots wasn't really adding a lot of richness to the game imo. As other people have said, I think the biggest failing of 2.0 was the frankly boneheaded decision to make the starting bundles a limited time offer, assuming "make all the characters free to play from the outset" was simply a non-starter.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

The game just came out way too late in a saturated genre already in decline.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
It was also really poorly managed

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
The balance team was also incredibly slow at buffing characters that desperately needed it and nerfing real poo poo heads like genji.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Removing ammo didn't really change the game besides completely killing multiple strategies. I get that Blizzard didn't like those strategies, which is why they were forcing teamfight meta.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

The balance team was also incredibly slow at buffing characters that desperately needed it and nerfing real poo poo heads like genji.

Actually Genji had a 49.9% winrate which made him complete trash, furthermore

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Yeah but sometimes Genji is on your team

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Now that we're airing our grievances, quick match sucked for how many lopsided or just not fun matchups it gave.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Studio posted:

Now that we're airing our grievances, quick match sucked for how many lopsided or just not fun matchups it gave.

For being the game mode that the largest % of the player-base played, Blizz never figured out how to make it not a poo poo-show

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they wanted it to be a poo poo show, ever think of that?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

QM should have had the same chance brawls did of giving everyone the same hero

5v5 murkys on hanamura

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Hey remember the first hanamura that sucked tremendous rear end?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Yea. It was bad

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

It had like 5 different objectives all going on at the same time and it was hard to figure out which one was the one you should be doing at any given time let alone convincing your team to help you.

The murder-lord boss in the center ruled though

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I liked QM when it got me into a game quickly. I never really cared about team comp or distribution of the roles or whatever. It truly never bothered me to be on a 5 assassin team or 4 assassins plus Medivh versus a balanced team comp. I dislike all the changes made to try to enforce 'balanced' teams in the QM matchmaking. Balanced teams were never my priority, getting into games fast was. Grumblegrumble.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Yeah comp in QM never bothered me. Now playing QM solo and going up against a full team, that loving sucked and still sucks

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

i said artifact would be doa too.

back in the old dota (as in pre-dota 2 days) wc3 ladder players would troll the dota threads and the mods were too lazy or dumb to figure out who was doing what so they banned the threads.

DotA was literally called "war3 for people too stupid to ladder". :v:

(war3 was bw for people too slow to handle micro and macro at the same time.)

Zodiac5000 posted:

I liked QM when it got me into a game quickly. I never really cared about team comp or distribution of the roles or whatever. It truly never bothered me to be on a 5 assassin team or 4 assassins plus Medivh versus a balanced team comp. I dislike all the changes made to try to enforce 'balanced' teams in the QM matchmaking. Balanced teams were never my priority, getting into games fast was. Grumblegrumble.

As someone who queued as a tank or healer in QM most times, I personally liked the imbalanced comps because they meant I'd never, ever, ever lose. :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 19, 2018

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Cuntellectual posted:

As someone who queued as a tank or healer in QM most times, I personally liked the imbalanced comps because they meant I'd never, ever, ever lose. :v:

My solo queue support wins have been the least enjoyable HOTS matches since I started playing. It's really close to solo queue support heroes in Dota/Dota2.

You can give your team every little thing to set them up. Healing, vision, removing debuffs, ults that guarantee an objective. But you are completely at the mercy of your team, and can only pray they capitalize on that set-up.

Even at diamond QM (according to hotslogs) I get teamates that run away when given a stim drone or nano boost. I've had countless people ignore map vision I granted, like they're playing with camera locked into their hero.

A lot of support skills and talents give your ally a bonus to whatever they are doing. If they are doing nothing of use, you are just multiplying by zero. Your actions, skills, talents, are amplifying the NOTHING that your ally is doing. The net result is zero.

In HOTS it's not as bad as in dota, but I still dread support daily quests. They go fine if I have a friend online to support, but playing support for randos in a moba is an exercise in futility.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Go Tyrande and do it all yourself.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I like Kharazim as solo queue support, especially with the matchmaking putting at least one other melee on my team. He can put out damage and secure kills if you build for it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Is Whitemane bad? It feels like she never heals as much as other supports, gets out damaged by Kharazim, and just has no real escapes while needing to be fairly close to the action. Also there's like a million stuns that interrupt her channel with a long cooldown. I'm sure I'm playing her wrong but I don't see other people having much success with her either.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
She's one of the strongest healers in the game. But you need to be able to spread her buff around and then safely damage enemy heroes. Her ult is also completely busted on a 60s cd.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Which build is the good one? My experience is people dive in immediately so there's nowhere safe for her to start channeling that damage but that might be the result of other teammates not pealing all.

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.

Radish posted:

Which build is the good one? My experience is people dive in immediately so there's nowhere safe for her to start channeling that damage but that might be the result of other teammates not pealing all.

One way to go is beam talents at 1 and 4, effectively allowing you to burst out three heals then beam to shed the desperation charges and get almost all your mana back. You don't have to complete the beam, just toggle it for a split second for the mana return. Generally go zeal talents from there, the big gently caress you being the 16 talent that heals everyone who has zeal when you hit 3 desperation charges at which point you just spam spread zeal for the group heal and reset with your beam over and over. It's disgusting, to say nothing of the ult.

Survivability is tough if somebody knows to dive you but the zeal talents at 7 and especially 13 will keep you alive until the 16 spike at which point you should be close to unkillable with a halfway competent team. Again, your beam is only there to reset charges and proc mana, getting damage value is great but not as important as the above so don't be afraid to cancel it to keep spamming heals. Admittedly, you do need to keep a rhythm to avoid running into the cool down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
W, W, Spell power, AoE Heal, Root (if you can hit it), W, either ult upgrade or armor debuff