Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Rarity posted:

I acquit!

The week between that episode airing and everybody on that side of the argument just loving evaporating when the following episode aired was pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvfLU4kY_8A

This is a fun new series that The Good Place youtube channel is doing - deeper insights into the moral/philosophical lessons taught in the show, explained by the Philosophy Consultant on the show.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Taear posted:

The last time someone got into the good place is a massive deal and the main plot point though.

Yep, it is a main plot point. You are supposed to wonder what happened 521 years ago.

Which is why they're not going to undermine that plot point by revealing "Oh, we didn't mean Earth years, we meant nonsense looping afterlife years".

If you have a theory about the story that involves the show sabotaging its own dramatic progression and stakes, it's probably not a good theory. This wipes out about 90% of the theories people come up with for this show.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

CPColin posted:

The week between that episode airing and everybody on that side of the argument just loving evaporating when the following episode aired was pretty fun.

But no one learnt anything. Unless someone toxxed themselves over it and I just forgot.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

enki42 posted:

For sure, but it's painfully obvious that the writers meant Earth years, because in any other context it's a completely meaningless statement with no dramatic effect whatsoever. "It's been 521 arbitrary units that are unfathomable and not linear anyway" isn't a great mid-series cliffhanger.

"Nobody has gotten into the Good Place in 521 beariblebs, which is the exact equivalent of 521 years on Earth, being that one bearibleb comes out to exactly 365 Earth days" - scriptwriting if it was handled by some people in this thread

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So is there a new episode tonight? No, right? We're done until next year?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Teddybear posted:

So is there a new episode tonight? No, right? We're done until next year?

Nothin till January 10

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Nothin till January 10

But then NINE NINE followed by TGP! :haw:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Regy Rusty posted:

Nothin till January 10
Fork that shirt. :smith:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Whalley posted:

"Nobody has gotten into the Good Place in 521 beariblebs, which is the exact equivalent of 521 years on Earth, being that one bearibleb comes out to exactly 365 Earth days" - scriptwriting if it was handled by some people in this thread

Who are you, Robert Heinlein?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Whalley posted:

I'm gonna be honest, if it were me I would have just left it non-specific

Michael asks how long it's been since someone's gotten into the Good Place, Stephen Merchant just says something like "that hasn't happened as long as I've been here" or "woof, that hasn't happened in a WHILE" or etc

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Whalley posted:

521x365 days is more like 520.7 years
:goonsay:

That little video was neat, though I couldn't stop picturing the animated character as Karl Pilkington. I'm an episode or two behind on the podcast again, is that on a break too?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
S:e

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

uvar posted:

521x365 days is more like 520.7 years
:goonsay:

That little video was neat, though I couldn't stop picturing the animated character as Karl Pilkington. I'm an episode or two behind on the podcast again, is that on a break too?

The podcast only updates with new aired episodes, so I assume it is.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Democratic Pirate posted:

My soul to the bad place for Amy Poehler as the head Good Place bureaucrat.

Admittedly I was hoping for the accountant from Parks & Rec to show up.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm gonna be honest, if it were me I would have just left it non-specific

Michael asks how long it's been since someone's gotten into the Good Place, Stephen Merchant just says something like "that hasn't happened as long as I've been here" or "woof, that hasn't happened in a WHILE" or etc

"The last human to get into the good place was oooh....1492?"

Because then you're not giving the impression there's a present day, just that the last time was then.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
ALERT!

:siren:The Emmys just changed the rules to unfairly bias the awards against Megan Amrams:siren:

https://twitter.com/meganamram/status/1073473545114533889

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

ALERT!

:siren:The Emmys just changed the rules to unfairly bias the awards against Megan Amrams:siren:

https://twitter.com/meganamram/status/1073473545114533889

This is better than winning. Megan is extremely powerful

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Good ol gatekeeping, still hard at work.

-1,000,000 points

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
Once you know how Emmy voting works, you can't get any more votes

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
Remember, the "Jeremy Bearimy" thing started as a parody of Mike Schur attempting to explain how time worked in the show, and getting all unnecessarily complicated. I think people are making it more complicated than it needs to be. Earth time is on one timeline, the afterlife is on another, that's all you need really. When the Judge decided to let the gang continue their lives, Michael entered earth's timeline at a particular point and changed history. Ok, sure, you could draw attention to the implications of that, like, does that mean earth's timeline was "rolled back" to that particular point, and souls were sucked out of the afterlife and back to earth, because they hadn't died yet? Or, what about that demon waiting for that particular guy to die, shouldn't he already be dead, because of the gang spending hundreds of years in the fake Good Place, shouldn't it be hundreds of years in the future? Well...if the show doesn't specifically address it, it ceases to be a problem! :downs:

Maybe a form of the "Doctor Who rule" should come into play? That is, only expect time travel to work consistently in whichever Dr Who story you're currently watching/reading/listening to. Don't try to make sense of how time travel is supposed to work across all the different Dr Who stories, you'll just give yourself a headache.

"People in the Good Place can get worse" does seem like logical next step from "People in the Bad Place can get better." You can't kill anyone, obviously, because they are already dead, but can you cause them pain? Would physical pain be "switched off" like how there's both a "swearing filter" and a "hangover filter?" What if then people resort to psychological torture, so it ends up like the fake Good Place? Boredom, I guess, is the most obvious reason for people who spent their whole lives unselfishly doing good just for the sake of doing good, deciding to try evil. Curiosity as well, perhaps? I've been doing good my whole life, why not see what I was missing out on? I've already been judged, so they're won't be any bad consequences for me, so why not? You could, say, steal or vandalise someone else's property, and then marbelise your neighbourhood's Janet. Maybe someone from the neighbourhood has to go to the Janet Warehouse to get a new one, so you sabotage the train so no-one can leave, and it's all downhill from there.

When the gang arrive in the real Good Place, there's no one there, and it looks abandoned. Maybe everyone now lives far apart from each other, boarded up in their homes, to get away from trolls. That's kinda like how CS Lewis describes Hell in his book, "The Great Divorce."

Maybe Good Place people haven't gone evil, but are aloof, they're like in a gated community, interested only in their own affairs, and nothing outside of it. Maybe Good Place people were there in the beginning to set up the whole afterlife system in the caveman days, but no one stuck around to make sure it didn't get off track. Maybe someone just checks in every now and then to see how it's running, and things were going fine whenever they checked so they haven't bothered checking in for a while. So the last check in was just before 500 years ago maybe? Perhaps Accounting hasn't been hacked, but sean's been available on hand to give suggestions, but there hasn't been a Good Place person there to balance it out? But then we have to explain the Good Place's interest in Mindy St Claire. What if the Good Place representative from Mindy's video is Michael's twin? She knows that something has gone wrong with the system, but other Good Place people don't believe her. So she took on Mindy's case to draw attention to the problem, and hopefully fix it. Michael has our gang, she has Mindy!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I can imagine the people already in the Good Place being all ‘gently caress you, got mine’ now that they’re there.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
I did assume humans in the afterlife can't "die", but Janets can be marbelised, and demons can be retired, so I guess it is possible there could be circumstances where a human could "double die" and have their soul obliterated from existence. With this show, who knows?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
So, even people in the bad place are shielded from the embarassing ways in which they died. There's a certain strange kindness there.

I'm getting the impression from this show that as well-thought-out as it is, it encourages the viewers to do some mental gymnastics to figure things out. I don't think this is a :lost: where the script writes checks that it cannot cash, but there's definitely a sense of overanalysis going on here.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Propaganda Machine posted:

So, even people in the bad place are shielded from the embarassing ways in which they died. There's a certain strange kindness there.

I think that was just Michael doling out the torture incrementally.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

The_Doctor posted:

I can imagine the people already in the Good Place being all ‘gently caress you, got mine’ now that they’re there.

I could if the standards for getting in weren’t absurdly high. It seems to weed out all but people utterly altruistic down to their core.

In theory anyway

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Can't wait for when Michael inadvertently makes being in the Good Place super stressful for everyone by making it possible to go from Good to Bad Place

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Morality now applies to a hedonistic Good Place, Matt from Accounting is overrun by a flood of weird sex things that’ve been done with the help of Janet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

FoxTerrier posted:

I could if the standards for getting in weren’t absurdly high. It seems to weed out all but people utterly altruistic down to their core.

In theory anyway

Just a reminder that Mindy almost got in.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'm getting the impression from this show that as well-thought-out as it is, it encourages the viewers to do some mental gymnastics to figure things out. I don't think this is a :lost: where the script writes checks that it cannot cash, but there's definitely a sense of overanalysis going on here.

Something I find is that the themes on my mind are often a few (or many) steps ahead of what the show wants to talk about, and I have to back up and meet the show where it's currently at.

Like, pretty much as soon as Janet played the audio recording of the Bad Place back in S1, my brain was at "infinite torture can never be a proportionate punishment for finite earthly sins, and Good Place denizens are morally flawed if they accept this system". And I kept waiting for Chidi in particular to echo that thought, but he never did. Instead, the show has taken its time untangling flaws in the method of judgment, and still arguably hasn't yet arrived at "this type of punishment would be wrong irrespective of judgment". I'm sure it will.

Both thematically and plot-wise, the show works better if you follow it at face value and don't get impatient for it to address/explore the things you're analyzing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If there's one thing that The Good Place is good at doing, it's addressing the big questions as quickly as possible.

mortal
Oct 12, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Just a reminder that Mindy almost got in.

Mindy started a foundation that improved every facet of human existence on Earth solely because she wanted to do good...and then died before she could do anything to lose points, or develop selfish motivations for the foundations work that would deny her the points it earned. That still seems to fit the theory that the criteria is absurdly high.

There's also something weird about an action's points being decided the first time it's done. We see a caveman giving someone their rock and earning 10,000 points, but a modern human giving someone a rock can't be worth 10,000 points, and there must be way an action's points value is adjusted over time that we haven't seen...or the secret to getting into the good place is giving people rocks. Doug Forcett could have just given ~50 rocks away and gotten the same point total.

Xelkelvos posted:

If there's one thing that The Good Place is good at doing, it's addressing the big questions as quickly as possible.

Except when it's on hiatus for four weeks.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

mortal posted:

There's also something weird about an action's points being decided the first time it's done. We see a caveman giving someone their rock and earning 10,000 points, but a modern human giving someone a rock can't be worth 10,000 points, and there must be way an action's points value is adjusted over time that we haven't seen...or the secret to getting into the good place is giving people rocks. Doug Forcett could have just given ~50 rocks away and gotten the same point total.
Ironically giving someone a rock should still earn 10k points, but who the gently caress gives away rocks in the modern day

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Whalley posted:

Ironically giving someone a rock should still earn 10k points, but who the gently caress gives away rocks in the modern day

Oh, I don't know... except for maybe people who are offering a gift to a woman in contemplation of marriage....

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

tarlibone posted:

Oh, I don't know... except for maybe people who are offering a gift to a woman in contemplation of marriage....
Who's to say marriage gets you points? Or, poo poo, that cutting a rock is a good thing?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
It was the first act of altruism. If you gave away something that today that is as valuable as a rock was then, you would get 10,000 points.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Whalley posted:

Who's to say marriage gets you points? Or, poo poo, that cutting a rock is a good thing?

Oh, I wasn't contemplating that. I was just giving an example of people who to this day still give away rocks.

I would imagine you'd lose points on the deal, though, since that rock (that I was talking about) is given in contemplation of a reward. So... it probably doesn't count.

Pretty sure everyone involved with De Beers is going to The Bad Place, though.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So far, whenever we get a look at a specific example of an action earning points, the description is always short, and to-the-point, but apparently we also need a mountain of context too that is never seen in that person's "file." We know that motivation matters, but we've still never seen someone's file mention it. When someone donates to a soup kitchen, we only see "Donated $X to a soup kitchen," not whether they did it out of compassion, to get into heaven, to avoid hell, for self-aggrandizement, or to get laid. And now we know that the effects matter to, except we've never seen "Donated to soup kitchen, only for most of it to go to the manager's salary," or another person getting more Good Place Points because the week they donated, their money went towards a more hungry person.

So why does Mindy St Claire count as the best human in centuries, but not another famous activist? Why does her posthumous legacy count for more that than person?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

So far, whenever we get a look at a specific example of an action earning points, the description is always short, and to-the-point, but apparently we also need a mountain of context too that is never seen in that person's "file." We know that motivation matters, but we've still never seen someone's file mention it. When someone donates to a soup kitchen, we only see "Donated $X to a soup kitchen," not whether they did it out of compassion, to get into heaven, to avoid hell, for self-aggrandizement, or to get laid. And now we know that the effects matter to, except we've never seen "Donated to soup kitchen, only for most of it to go to the manager's salary," or another person getting more Good Place Points because the week they donated, their money went towards a more hungry person.

So why does Mindy St Claire count as the best human in centuries, but not another famous activist? Why does her posthumous legacy count for more that than person?

I bet the coke bender had something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Some of the Old saints may have had flawed beliefs, like one of the famous healers, I think Mother Theresa but it could have been someone else, didn't believe in painkillers and thought it better to let her patients just sweat it out.