Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Fangz posted:

People don't care about that kind of thing any more: the civil war is typically considered in the context of "and this is how we began the transition to constitutional monarchy". The opening of parliament for example is a ritual reenactment of the refusal of entry of Black Rod to parliament.

If anything the coverage of Cromwell in the British educational system is excessively positive.

How is his Irish genocide covered? And other genocides caused by the British?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Just back home from seeing They Shall Not Grow Old. As has been said here before, it was incredible. I await the day when all the old footage can be restored; seeing smooth motion at a good resolution in color puts you in touch with what is happening in a way the old stuff can't.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

So far as I know, he TRIED to make a new government without reliance on a singular dictator, but Parliament kept backstabbing the second house in his new bicameral system.

He even rejected the title of king, which only made things worse.

Well, he did disband Parliament because he didn't like their decision and wanted his buddy/son in law Ireton to take over for him, but Ireton croaked and his failson Dick took over, and so everyone was like, well, if we're going to do hereditary rule, may as well go with someone divinely chosen rather than some random dude's son.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

It occurred to me the other day you could consider Cromwell to be a sort of proto facist and I wondered what this thread would say.
My reasoning is dictator like powers (afaik) and a focus on modernisation with a strong streak of cleanliness, as well as a power base of lower and middle class people. My knowledge of the time is spotty at best however.

I'd say that the term "fascist", including "protofascist", gets applied really easily these days, and applying it to somebody who lived 300 years before fascism is maybe going a little far. If he's protofascist, were the Greek tyrants? Was Gaius Marius? Was Julius Caesar?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Brass being more thermally conductive is also useful in artillery - if it can hold more heat, you can fire more shots before the barrel overheats.

You're right about it having high thermal conductivity, but that doesn't mean it can hold more heat, it means it conducts heat better. The amount of heat it holds is its thermal capacity, and brass isn't as good as steel in that regard (although both are pretty low).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

ChubbyChecker posted:

It's not. Hence why I said he is treated too positively.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Hot take: the politics of the 30 Years War are kind of confusing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

All I know is there was a window and horse poo poo and the horse poo poo was good news

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Part of the fun is untangling it and enjoy the maps.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I’m not convinced that any of the authorities in the HRE ever actually understood what the gently caress was going on. Pretty sure they just pretended for 900 years.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The emperor's the only one who needed to know how it all worked, and he was always too busy. Everyone else could just look after their own little segment.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

How come the Austrian Hapsburgs never got as crazy inbred as the Spanish branch?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Science Fiction author Michael Flynn did a 9 part blog post about the Galileo affair, Galileo, the Inquisiton, and what really went on, that's worth reading:

http://tofspot.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-great-ptolemaic-smackdown-table-of.html

Every once in a while, he throws in 30 Year War references, which never fail to make me laugh:

quote:

23 May, 1618. The Defenestration of Prague triggers the outbreak of the Thirty Years War, and pretty soon everyone in Europe is all *facepalm and *headdesk because if they had only named it the Thirty Minute War it would have been over by now.

quote:

13 April 1631. The Battle of Frankfurt-an-der-Oder heralds the entry of Sweden into the Thirty Years War. Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the German waters, along comes this religious nut who may not even realize that the real war is a Bourbon effort to bring down House Hapsburg.* Gustavus Adolphus is off to make the world safe for Minnesota Lutheran meat loaf. Everyone checks their watches calendars and sees that there are seventeen years yet to go. The drat war isn't even half over yet!
(*) Bourbon-Hapsburg. The times, they are a-changing. At White Mountain the Imperials charged into battle shouting "Sancta Maria!" At the Battle of Nördlingen (1645) they will charge into battle shouting "ˇViva Espańa!" New gods are replacing the old to prep for the holocaust of 1914 et seq.

quote:

16 Nov 1632. Battle of Lützen. Swedish army under Gustav II Adolf sorta kinda defeats the Imperial army under Wallenstein in a TKO. But Gustav is killed and the "Protestant" side (aided and abetted by Catholic France and the Papacy) loses steam and direction. Beside, it's the Thirty Years War, and there are 16 years left to go. Get ready for aimless, broken armies wandering around the countryside in spasms of violence and looting.

More crucially to Galileo, the aftermath of the battle has uncovered the Pope's secret alliance with the Swedes. The Modenan ambassador to Rome writes home regarding Urban:
"Instead of bringing him back to his senses, these events moved him only to fury. He has lost his head to the point that he will act without the least judgment."
Urban's diplomatic maneuvers have all been in vain. Richelieu has been playing him like a xylophone, prying apart the Austro-Spanish coalition, forcing the Italian states into his system, and launching the king of Sweden with five tubfuls of gold. Urban has quarreled with the Emperor, been threatened and humiliated by Spain -- with whom Galileo had been dickering for his system for using the moons of Jupiter to determine longitude, and stoppered in Italy by the Venetian Republic (where Galileo keeps a lot of friends). The appearance of the Dialogue, with that sly Simplicio reference, must have seemed just one more attack by his enemies. He calls Riccardi and Ciampoli on the carpet. The former keeps his job, just barely; but Ciampoli is assigned as governor of a small town in the Papal State somewhere and is not allowed to return to Rome.

Now, who else can Urban smack around?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How come the Austrian Hapsburgs never got as crazy inbred as the Spanish branch?

Ferdinand I of Austria, President of the German Confederation, King of Hungary, Croatia and Bohemia, King of Lombardy–Venetia, only has four unique great-grandparents. This Austrian Habsburg was the son of two double first cousins.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

EvilMerlin posted:

Keep in mind steel rusts fast. Rust + casing + action (especially semi-auto) = trouble. So you have to grease or lacquer the steel. Hot lacquer does not do good things for close tolerance weapons like say the AR family... Its fine for the AK's as they are designed to have a bit of slop in them.

The whole reason the Russians went steel and lacquer was cost. Plain and simple. Copper is expensive, and case brass is 70% copper.

Just want to jump in here to again say it's clearances not tolerances. I have some copies of what appear to be original dimensioned production blueprints for the AK and it's metric tolerances are pretty much at the same levels of precision as the imperial ones for the M16 blueprints I have, and both are more accurate than the Rock Island 1911 blueprints I have, which even throws the machinist a few fractional dimensions/tolerances.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Epicurius posted:

I'd say that the term "fascist", including "protofascist", gets applied really easily these days, and applying it to somebody who lived 300 years before fascism is maybe going a little far. If he's protofascist, were the Greek tyrants? Was Gaius Marius? Was Julius Caesar?

I certainly agree that 'fascist' and especially 'Nazi' get thrown around a great deal too much, although I haven't heard 'proto facist'.
I never got the same bright new world impression from your three examples as I have about Cromwell, but I suppose this is where you tell me Marius enacted a bunch of social as well as military reform.
Caesar seems to be a proto fascist at least in the sense fascism consciously modeled itself on the principate he founded.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Caesar didn't found no principate.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Can anyone identify the gun on this (probably US/Canadian made) Universal Carrier? I suspect it's a Polsten 20mm or Oerlikon gun but I cant find any references online at all on them being used on Universal Carriers.

Photo is taken in East-Java in 1949, and the caption just says 'Bren Carrier with fast firing gun'.

Also, apparently the Brits attached rockets to a UC to make in jump over gaps or minefields

It didn't work

Molentik fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 18, 2018

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

ChubbyChecker posted:

Genocides? What genocides? Sure there was the Empire but it mumblemumblemumble and that was how the British Empire worked.

Disclaimer: I only did History in school until I was 16 so they might have covered things like truth or nuance later in the curriculum.

Molentik posted:

Can anyone identify the gun on this (probably US/Canadian made) Universal Carrier? I suspect it's a Polsten 20mm or Oerlikon gun but I cant find any references online at all on them being used on Universal Carriers.

Photo is taken in East-Java in 1949, and the caption just says 'Bren Carrier with fast firing gun'.

It looks like a bodge job so you'll probably not be able to find any references about it, especially if you don't speak any Dutch. However the belt feed into a curved cover makes me think of the belt fed conversions of the Hispano-Suiza 20mm:

Which would have been widely available to the Dutch forces because that's what most of their aircraft were armed with. Don't worry too much about orientation, I'm pretty sure they came in left-hand and right-hand versions to fit into wings properly.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

It occurred to me the other day you could consider Cromwell to be a sort of proto facist and I wondered what this thread would say.
My reasoning is dictator like powers (afaik) and a focus on modernisation with a strong streak of cleanliness, as well as a power base of lower and middle class people. My knowledge of the time is spotty at best however.

This wasn't especially true, to be honest. Just because the other side in the civil war had the King heading it up, does not mean the English Republic that resulted from it was some kind of class based revolt against the aristocracy; there were plenty of aristocrats on both sides. I mean the Parliamentarian commander in chief was Lord Fairfax, for instance. There were people who had ideas along those lines mind you; they were called the Levellers and they got crushed like bugs by Cromwell. I'm also not sure I'd call him particularly 'modernising' other than perhaps in the single area of (limited!) religious toleration (which probably wouldn't have been viewed as 'modern' by his contemporaries; religious conformity within a state was the norm at the time and not at all considered old fashioned) ; why specifically do you think that he was?

In any case, as mentioned, you can't really look at an early modern society and in any meaningful way call it 'fascist'. It just doesn't really compute.

Edit: as for naming a tank after him, there's a statue of him right outside of Parliament which is not normally something you do with someone whose memory you hate. Bear in mind the Stuarts got booted out in 1689 by a bunch of people who kinda thought the dude had a point, and every monarch we've had since owes their throne to that fact.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 18, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Milhist Thread Mk. IV: war axes, partisans, spontoons etc.

feedmegin posted:

Edit: as for naming a tank after him, there's a statue of him right outside of Parliament which is not normally something you do with someone whose memory you hate. Bear in mind the Stuarts got booted out in 1689 by a bunch of people who kinda thought the dude had a point, and every monarch we've had since owes their throne to that fact.

Whenever I can't work out what I think of historical figures, I boot up their Simple English wiki:

quote:

Cromwell's actions during his career seem confusing to us today. He supported Parliament against the King, yet he ordered his soldiers to break up parliament. Under his rule, the Protectorate said that people's religious beliefs should be respected, but people who went against what most people believed were sometimes tortured and imprisoned.

Cromwell was the first ruler of England to be a Puritan. He created a new model army. Many English people today think he was one of their greatest leaders, and many Irish people still hate him.

Well, poo poo.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tias posted:

Well, poo poo.

I mean, it's not like the Protectorate was in the least unusual in that regard. It was actually more religiously tolerant than most other places at the time.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I meant to also quote the part about the genocide against the Irish, though.

Cromwell isn't even a big psychopath for his age, really - he's just a huge ego who don't mind breaking a zillion Irish eggs to make an omelet, which is really reprehensible to me.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

Science Fiction author Michael Flynn did a 9 part blog post about the Galileo affair, Galileo, the Inquisiton, and what really went on, that's worth reading:

http://tofspot.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-great-ptolemaic-smackdown-table-of.html

Every once in a while, he throws in 30 Year War references, which never fail to make me laugh:
those interpretations are cask-strength wedgewood, and peter wilson and i have dedicated our lives to saying she was wrong

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m not convinced that any of the authorities in the HRE ever actually understood what the gently caress was going on. Pretty sure they just pretended for 900 years.
it is The Best Empire

is there anything in particular you need help on

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
In Castles of Steel it's mentioned that Churchill wanted to name a dreadnought Oliver Cromwell but the King rejected it

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

C.M. Kruger posted:

Just want to jump in here to again say it's clearances not tolerances. I have some copies of what appear to be original dimensioned production blueprints for the AK and it's metric tolerances are pretty much at the same levels of precision as the imperial ones for the M16 blueprints I have, and both are more accurate than the Rock Island 1911 blueprints I have, which even throws the machinist a few fractional dimensions/tolerances.

Sorry! Fair enough. And yes, correct.

Clearances.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also on brass, it's probably going to stick around for cartridge casings for a very long time because it's the ideal metal for it. It expands upon firing to obturate the bore and prevent hot propellant gases from leaking backwards into your face, but then shrinks down after the pressure drops so it can easily be extracted from the chamber. The brass cartridge casing was likely the biggest invention that revolutionized firearms and allowed for breechloaders to completely overtake muzzleloaders.

And it really does have to be brass, or steel if you really need to save a few cents per round. The US tried using copper cartridges after the Civil War to save money, only to discover that the soft copper would get stuck in the chamber or even break when trying to extract the casings. A lot of men died in Little Bighorn because of their rifles jamming and needing to be cleaned out with a knife or cleaning rod before they could be reloaded.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

Also on brass, it's probably going to stick around for cartridge casings for a very long time because it's the ideal metal for it. It expands upon firing to obturate the bore and prevent hot propellant gases from leaking backwards into your face, but then shrinks down after the pressure drops so it can easily be extracted from the chamber. The brass cartridge casing was likely the biggest invention that revolutionized firearms and allowed for breechloaders to completely overtake muzzleloaders.

And it really does have to be brass, or steel if you really need to save a few cents per round. The US tried using copper cartridges after the Civil War to save money, only to discover that the soft copper would get stuck in the chamber or even break when trying to extract the casings. A lot of men died in Little Bighorn because of their rifles jamming and needing to be cleaned out with a knife or cleaning rod before they could be reloaded.

Did anyone else try copper cartridges?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

All I am stating is that is is hard to be dandy as a corpse after a certain amount of time.

Excuse me??

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Was this erected by latent republicans in order to intimidate royalists?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
my friend, the religionthread is just your thing

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

a neckbeard is still a neckbeard, even if it's made out of gems

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

FrangibleCover posted:

It looks like a bodge job so you'll probably not be able to find any references about it, especially if you don't speak any Dutch. However the belt feed into a curved cover makes me think of the belt fed conversions of the Hispano-Suiza 20mm:

Which would have been widely available to the Dutch forces because that's what most of their aircraft were armed with. Don't worry too much about orientation, I'm pretty sure they came in left-hand and right-hand versions to fit into wings properly.

Good call, the drum indeed looks like the one in the photo. I've got about 1,5 shelf of books on the Indonesian War of Independence but I have yet to find a single mention of Hispano armed carriers...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hogge Wild posted:

Did anyone else try copper cartridges?

During the early development of cartridges by people like Pauly, there were a lot of materials tried. Copper, paper, even leather. Once it was discovered that brass was the best metal, just about everyone stuck with it except for some use of steel among military cases to save money on bulk manufacture.

The US wasn't the only ones to gently caress up good science in the name of cost, though. The British tried making cases from thin brass foil, which went about as well as you would expect.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Everything else you say is fine, but brass is in no fuckin way cheaper than steel. Even stainless steel right now is cheaper per pound than brass. Maybe in the very early iron age or in very specific regions in classical history was brass cheaper, but not since the birth of Christ has this been true anywhere iron smelting was a known technology.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is Tevery still around? I spent quite a bit of time longingly gazing at an 80€ two volume history of WW1 in Eastern Europe 1912-1922 by Wlodzimierz Borodziej und Maciej Górny at the bookstore today. Are those guys good?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

We're talking about dandy rear end cavalry here not boring frat popes who lived to old age.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ll have to see if I can find the picture but I saw a skeleton in an Austrian abbey/cathedral (maybe melk? The all blended together and I can’t remember) that was in a full-on head-propped-on-hand-leaning-on-elbow “llllladies” pose, and I think about him every day.

I don’t think it’s the one you posted, in my memory he’s dandier, but brains are imperfect.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

aphid_licker posted:

Is Tevery still around? I spent quite a bit of time longingly gazing at an 80€ two volume history of WW1 in Eastern Europe 1912-1922 by Wlodzimierz Borodziej und Maciej Górny at the bookstore today. Are those guys good?

I have no clue since I have not read the book, but if the people in question are who I think they are then you can expect top-notch academic work, one is a professor at the University of Warsaw Institute of History and the other is a habilitated doctor employed at the Institute of History of the Polish Academy of Sciences. As far as the study of the subject goes, there are no better institutions in this country. You should however be aware that the work may be dry and very detailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

I have no clue since I have not read the book, but if the people in question are who I think they are then you can expect top-notch academic work, one is a professor at the University of Warsaw Institute of History and the other is a habilitated doctor employed at the Institute of History of the Polish Academy of Sciences. As far as the study of the subject goes, there are no better institutions in this country. You should however be aware that the work may be dry and very detailed.

Yeah it's a thousand pages. That sounds excellent, thanks :)