Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Imagined posted:

So what are they good for? Complicated, trade-able download keys?

pretty much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I keep getting physical copes because the prices are better than digital and digitals own pitfalls.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Croccers posted:

I keep getting physical copes because the prices are better than digital and digitals own pitfalls.

Outside of infrequent deals this is generally not true. I opt for physical when it exists but I know I'm paying a premium for that sweet sweet box

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Butterfly Valley posted:

Were you fuckers complaining about the physical switch media not alive during the preceding 3 decades of tapes, cds, dvds, records, VHS cassettes, game boy, n64 and snes cartridges, CD Roms, blurays, floppy discs like how spoiled do you have to be to complain about swapping a switch game around

*inhales*

nice meltdown

Also there was no such thing as digital downloads during that time to compare hth

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

*inhales*

nice meltdown

Also there was no such thing as digital downloads during that time to compare hth

you could warez a bunch of games onto a single floppy rather than have to swap among 10 disks if you bought them.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

gently caress, the switch is dangerous. I turned off the tv and got ready for bed at midnight, then I kept playing katamari for another hour

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Butterfly Valley posted:

Were you fuckers complaining about the physical switch media not alive during the preceding 3 decades of tapes, cds, dvds, records, VHS cassettes, game boy, n64 and snes cartridges, CD Roms, blurays, floppy discs like how spoiled do you have to be to complain about swapping a switch game around

As someone who used to lug around a bag full of N64 cartridges to my friend's houses so we could play anything in our combined collection, old NES carts not work due to dead batteries inside or bent pins, scratched up discs that would barely work on my PC, Dreamcast, 360; I don't have any attachment to physical media. I get the appeal, but I want my life to be as simple as possible.

It's just such a shame that the eShop sales aren't what you see on PC and Nintendo games themselves never drop in price.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Thanks all for the recommendations for my 7 y/o.
Noted down:
- Celeste
- Mario Odessy
- Tropical Freeze
- Smash
- Yoku's Island
- Kirby Star Allies
- Zelda
- Pokemon

Going to watch some demos with him.
I think Pokemon might be great, as he loved that on my Phone, running around with me everywhere.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What is the current crop of pokemon games like anyway, I may as well have not played one since ye olde Red/Blue

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The switch games are steamlined yellow remakes with either pikachu or eevee as your primary partner and non-rng wild poke battles that are strictly catching without battles. People were apprehensive but the reception was positive afaik

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

What is the current crop of pokemon games like anyway, I may as well have not played one since ye olde Red/Blue

lucky you, Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee is a remake of Red/Blue

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Played Nippon Marathon for an hour. I can't believe it's in English. Everything is bonkers. The story mode, where 90% of it is talking and not racing. The Japanese announcer who sounds like he doesn't understand what the English words he's saying means. The characters, the screaming, the shibes. This is gonna be an amazing party game for Christmas!

That said I hope there's a patch, the graphics are bad yet there are performance issues and long loading times. Is this Unity again?

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Disgaea 1 and 5 are on sale for $30 each at best buy.

I picked up 5 a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it so I bought 1 yesterday. Of course it goes on sale today.

I think the puppet labyrinth game is also $30 but I still have an Etrian backlog so dunno if it's good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Motto posted:

The switch games are steamlined yellow remakes with either pikachu or eevee as your primary partner and non-rng wild poke battles that are strictly catching without battles. People were apprehensive but the reception was positive afaik

So they dispensed with the whole reduce-hp-then-throw-balls-and-pray thing? Neat, I'll have to look into it

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress that

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Gripweed posted:

I think you and Bowmore must be in a weird region, in America all Switch cases have the titles justified to the top like that, not in the middle

Except Super Bomberman R, in which Konami decided to just do whatever with the spine on their case.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can't believe how good zelda is. This is the monster hunter world of the zelda series.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
enjoy paying fuckloads more for digital

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nonviolent J posted:

I will

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Digirat posted:

Can't believe how good zelda is. This is the monster hunter world of the zelda series.

If only the twig swords could get to white sharpness...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dantheman650 posted:

Going to this week! I’ve been hearing tons of good things about it.

Edit: it’s even on sale right now for five bucks off.

Still showing up as 16.99 for me, like it has from launch. Do you mean it’s actually going to go up to 21.99 at some point?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Wamdoodle posted:

*inhales*

nice meltdown

You'll note I didn't criticise or indeed comment at all on digital downloads! They're great and useful! But people complaining about physical media on the switch, having not been forced to buy it, are pretty dumb imo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Frankly, I'm even opposed to digital demos. Let's go back to the old days, where you'd get a DVD loaded with demos for free with you copy of the Official Xbox Magazine

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I prefer digital downloads generally for the convenience, and frankly I would rather Nintendo get more of my money than Amazon or Gamestop, but I have never once considered that the source of my games was something that needed intense scrutiny.

Like, who cares? Just play cool games because they are fun. If you consider them as investments just go buy some stock instead.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I prefer digital downloads generally for the convenience, and frankly I would rather Nintendo get more of my money than Amazon or Gamestop, but I have never once considered that the source of my games was something that needed intense scrutiny.

Like, who cares? Just play cool games because they are fun. If you consider them as investments just go buy some stock instead.

Other people prefer different thing than I do and that makes me incredibly angry!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ciaphas posted:

So they dispensed with the whole reduce-hp-then-throw-balls-and-pray thing? Neat, I'll have to look into it

Now they implemented a throw-pokeball-and-hope-the-motion-controls-work thing, which you're stupidly forced to use unless you play it in handheld mode.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TaurusOxford posted:

Now they implemented a throw-pokeball-and-hope-the-motion-controls-work thing, which you're stupidly forced to use unless you play it in handheld mode.

I can get a bullseye every time

Though I agree you should be able to just talk a pro controller if you want.

My ideal world actually be using the pro controller and doing motion throwing with it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
trailer for Nippon Ichi's new RPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzL1J0eFB9g

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

My ideal world actually be using the pro controller and doing motion throwing with it

They can't allow that, there's no wrist strap. It's a wonder that Nintendo allowed the Pro Controller to have motion controls at all.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I only bought physical when I first got my Switch, because I felt like I needed some cartridges for my brand-new system. I planned on buying all the "big" games on physical buuuut... yeah, after giving it a moment's thought I'd much rather be able to just pick my games from a menu.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Nonviolent J posted:

This is actually a perk for non-poors

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Just 100% Gris. Holy poo poo everything makes much more sense now and has such a deeper meaning.

This is one of my favorite games this year.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Renounce your boomer ways, cucked by the physical plane when you should be playing chess with Gods

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nonviolent J posted:

I won’t enjoy it, but I will enjoy not worrying about carts

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Over There posted:

Just 100% Gris. Holy poo poo everything makes much more sense now and has such a deeper meaning.

This is one of my favorite games this year.

I didn't 100% the game, but I did find the (I think) hidden cinematic that more clearly shows Gris's source of grief as the death of her mother. I'm not sure whether or not I preferred a more ambiguous interpretation, but the relationship is alluded to in many beautiful ways, like for example how you can hear an older woman's voice singing over Gris' own in the ending cinematic.

Anyway, what a powerful and moving game!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

exquisite tea posted:

I didn't 100% the game, but I did find the (I think) hidden cinematic that more clearly shows Gris's source of grief as the death of her mother. I'm not sure whether or not I preferred a more ambiguous interpretation, but the relationship is alluded to in many beautiful ways, like for example how you can hear an older woman's voice singing over Gris' own in the ending cinematic.

Anyway, what a powerful and moving game!

Yeah its pretty amazing. The secret achievements all involve Going through the 5 stages of grief in different ways

Usually I don't connect with games that are about depression/grief, but this one hit home because of the personal level it was on and didn't make you realize it until you look deeper into it.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Gripweed posted:

Frankly, I'm even opposed to digital demos. Let's go back to the old days, where you'd get a DVD loaded with demos for free with you copy of the Official Xbox Magazine

This was great. Demos of games I wouldn't ever play, demos of games I wouldn't think even to play a demo of. These were beautiful times.

As for me I prefer digital but right now I can't buy digital games. It's absolutely ridiculous that the eShop doesn't allow purchasing games without an associated device. I won't have a Switch until the 25th, but if I want to play games on the 25th without long download times (what's the average time, btw?) I gotta go physical - plus a few people are buying me Switch games as gifts and it's easier and more fun with physical. Also I don't yet have a microSD so no digital until I get one.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

King Vidiot posted:

I only bought physical when I first got my Switch, because I felt like I needed some cartridges for my brand-new system. I planned on buying all the "big" games on physical buuuut... yeah, after giving it a moment's thought I'd much rather be able to just pick my games from a menu.

We set up our switch last night. The 4 games we bought before that are physical. I’m already planning to buy memory expansion so I can do digital all the time going forward, unless there’s a random big price difference. My main concern being the cartridges are so small and my kids might lose them or, you know, stick them in their mouth.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

We set up our switch last night. The 4 games we bought before that are physical. I’m already planning to buy memory expansion so I can do digital all the time going forward, unless there’s a random big price difference. My main concern being the cartridges are so small and my kids might lose them or, you know, stick them in their mouth.

Good news! The carts taste TERRIBLE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Huxley posted:

Good news! The carts taste TERRIBLE.

They won’t believe me if I tell than that though. :(