Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Do the NES online games have manuals on the Switch as well? Obviously, most of us don't need them, but I know with the Virtual Console, there was at least the redone Wii-specific manual, which also included a way to put the Startropics letter in water.

Also, man, when are they going to announce the upcoming games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:thunk: So turns out the NES Switch controllers are weirdly really cool

https://kotaku.com/switchs-new-nes-controllers-do-more-than-you-might-thin-1831157773

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Do the NES online games have manuals on the Switch as well? Obviously, most of us don't need them, but I know with the Virtual Console, there was at least the redone Wii-specific manual, which also included a way to put the Startropics letter in water.

Also, man, when are they going to announce the upcoming games?

Unless I somehow missed it, no. There's a little description window that pops up, but no explanation of any of the controls or gameplay mechanics. It's not too bad since NES games have 8 buttons, so it's not too hard to figure out generally. If SNES games ever come, I can see it becoming more of an issue.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

dog nougat posted:

Unless I somehow missed it, no. There's a little description window that pops up, but no explanation of any of the controls or gameplay mechanics. It's not too bad since NES games have 8 buttons, so it's not too hard to figure out generally. If SNES games ever come, I can see it becoming more of an issue.

Ah ok, that kind of sucks. I just love manuals, especially the classic ones that had a ton of artwork (Mario 3 especially). Hopefully they add them, but we'll see. Even if they're edited to have the buttons changed.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Woah I was pretty sure those things weren't gonna work while charging, now that's just neat

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
TIL a bunch of y'all are turning your Doom cover inside out despite the Switch version actually putting the correct cover on the outside

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I still don't know what Gris is other than "artsy"

what exactly is it

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

what exactly is it

An extremely pretty and atmospheric casual puzzle platformer.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Your Computer posted:

what exactly is it

Yeah, I was afraid I was going into a 2D walking simulator, but once I heard that you unlock abilities to help with platforming and puzzles I was sold. It does everything so well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Your Computer posted:

what exactly is it

It's a puzzle platformer with no UI, no player death, no dialogue and a minimalist story that's communicated entirely though its beautiful environments, sound, and music. It's probably most analogous to Journey, although that doesn't quite fit because GRIS does very much have puzzles that require some lateral thinking rather than just being a walky sim. It takes about 3-4 hours to complete and isn't technically demanding, although I'd say the puzzles are just the right difficulty for the kind of game it is. GRIS is one of the most visually arresting games I've ever seen -- every screen is like a gorgeous watercolor portrait come to life. It's one of those experiences that deliver on a unified artistic vision to become something greater than the sum of its parts. And that incredible space-synth soundtrack, omg!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBToMwdYBME

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
thanks for the explanations! Maybe I'll have to check it out

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Don't buy digital unless the price is lower than physical. New digital games should be cheaper than new physical. No one cares if you buy digital so much as continuing to prop up the higher prices.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Don't buy digital unless the price is lower than physical. New digital games should be cheaper than new physical. No one cares if you buy digital so much as continuing to prop up the higher prices.

you can't stop me

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

no

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Don't buy digital

I'm gonna

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Mmm but I love being a class traitor

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

Mmm but I love being a class traitor. That's how I know I "made it"

hell yeah

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Buying physical is even worse because in addition to the disc often not even containing all the data it needs to run the game properly, capitalism gets the last laugh again by forcing you to fill up your home with worthless nonfunctional crap.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I try to buy Nintendo games when they are on sale in the digital shop. Just to encourage Nintendo game sales.

Historically it was interesting that when digital was becoming A Thing. Sony/Microsoft has press releases saying they would still price at 60 to purposely not undercut their "brick and mortar partners" (read gamestop at the height of its powers) and they didnt count digital sales for a long time as to how well a game sold. :wtc: Day One Digital used to be a big deal.

Now...who cares. But cheaper or give Nintendo all 60 instead of Amazon. Whatever live your life.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

exquisite tea posted:

Buying physical is even worse because in addition to the disc often not even containing all the data it needs to run the game properly, capitalism gets the last laugh again by forcing you to fill up your home with worthless nonfunctional crap.

Take my husband, please!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Who loving cares what media people buy their games on

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm pro-physical but the pollution costs caused by flying and trucking physical things around the world does weigh on me sometimes. Servers aren't pollution free, but I have to imagine they're better than jets and semis.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Yeah, if you really want to stick it to the man don't subscribe to Nintendo's online service.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

BisterdDave posted:

Yeah, if you really want to stick it to the man don't subscribe to Nintendo's online service.

Nintendo executives: "Hmm... I guess our user base doesn't care about online"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

I didn't!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Over There posted:

Nintendo executives: "Hmm... I guess our user base doesn't care about online"

also Nintendo executives: "We should give our user base access to every VC title we have available, for free!"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I subbed to nintendo online and id do it twice if i could

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I subbed to nintendo online and id do it twice if i could

You can. Get a family account.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Huh, that is cool. If the SNES equivalent has that kind of functionality I'll get a set day one.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Butterfly Valley posted:

You'll note I didn't criticise or indeed comment at all on digital downloads! They're great and useful! But people complaining about physical media on the switch, having not been forced to buy it, are pretty dumb imo

I did not note. I refuse!

where the hell is Sonic!?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I wish I could use the pro controller while waiting at the airport without looking like a dingus

I was right, these joycons are noooooo good for smash

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Wamdoodle posted:

where the hell is Sonic!?

Tressa bought him out

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s neat and makes me excited for mine which should come tomorrow. I’ll post some impressions when they get here.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I wish I could use the pro controller while waiting at the airport without looking like a dingus

I was right, these joycons are noooooo good for smash

I didn't really think about it since using the directional buttons on the joycons are fine for Crosstag, but oh man I really don't like doing tilts on that stick.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/donutcounty/status/1075086000815108096?s=19

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

this but unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Waltzing Along posted:

You clearly don't have kids... not losing the cartridges or breaking the discs is sometimes worth the premium.

Co-worker came to me the other day asking where I could get another copy of New Super Mario Bros. U With Super Luigi U because their kids snapped the disc in half.