Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s cool to see the surfer CMF I though would make a good He-man stand-in now has a He-man costume based on that Statue of Liberty set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
So can you just hit up Lego direct and say "I need a large box of 5000 of part #xxxx in dark grey"?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

ChesterJT posted:

So can you just hit up Lego direct and say "I need a large box of 5000 of part #xxxx in dark grey"?

No which is why when certain pieces are on the pick a brick wall, people go nuts

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

ChesterJT posted:

You can pick a brick through the website though it was almost impossible to make work on my phone just now. 999 limit per piece per order.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

ChesterJT posted:

I think if you’re part of a LUG you can?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm sure if you have enough money to build something that large, you can call up Lego and come to an agreement of some kind.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Yes, there's a system called LUGBulk which is pretty much what it sounds - buying parts in bulk for cheap direct from Lego, however you have to be part of a LUG, it only happens once a year, there is a relatively limited selection of parts and shipping can be ridiculously slow. And by bulk, I mean you have to order in increments of 50 parts. I've done it a couple of times and it's pretty cool.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Yes, there's a system called LUGBulk which is pretty much what it sounds - buying parts in bulk for cheap direct from Lego, however you have to be part of a LUG, it only happens once a year, there is a relatively limited selection of parts and shipping can be ridiculously slow. And by bulk, I mean you have to order in increments of 50 parts. I've done it a couple of times and it's pretty cool.

Pretty good post/username combo

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Cojawfee posted:

I'm sure if you have enough money to build something that large, you can call up Lego and come to an agreement of some kind.

Yeah, I imagine if you say you are building something that will be newsworthy they'll work with you to make it a little easier to order the parts.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I have a collection of LDView .dat files (battlemechs from http://brickcommander.com/BC-CBT.htm, if it matters) that I'd like to build. Is there any decent way to get the list of parts it spits out ordered from... well, anywhere, without a massive pain in the rear end level of effort?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Legos bulk ordering options seem inferior to Bricklink anyways.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

Legos bulk ordering options seem inferior to Bricklink anyways.

Why's that?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
why is he sitting on the bridge WHY IS HE SITTING ON THE BRIDGE

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

I also know phone ordering is a thing, and for some insane reason offers pieces that you can't get online. Like animal moulds etc. Lego does some weird poo poo.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's the Bricks and Pieces section of the customer service site where I think you can order pretty much any piece, though I just double checked it and it looks like that's been turned off for now.

I imagine that guy probably contacted Lego and set up an order with them, though.

[Edit: actually I checked the Flickr set and based on the number of Harry minifigs he has it looks like he ordered a bunch of Harry Potter sets and used the pieces from those to put together the castle, which was probably the easiest, but more expensive, way of doing it].

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 18, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the main store under categories they also have Pick a Brick section. Not sure what the difference between that and Bricks & Pieces is, but it's not disabled for now!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Brickset has a review of that Speed Champions MINI set

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
god i wish that set was just 67 mini

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's nothing unique on it except the stickers and it's a small build so it's trivial to bricklink once instructions are out.

Unless you really value the stickers.

edit - oh gently caress I actually read the article, the wheel arches are new to this set? dick move lego! hopefully they show up in more sets down the road

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Stickers are bad and I never do them.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I ordered a bunch of random piece sets by color from ebay. I'll probably look through what I get from that and compare to my piece lists and and then bricklink whatever is left. Not the best way, but it'll do. Anxious to get these built.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Kinda wish it had a minifigure head instead.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

asecondduck posted:

[Edit: actually I checked the Flickr set and based on the number of Harry minifigs he has it looks like he ordered a bunch of Harry Potter sets and used the pieces from those to put together the castle, which was probably the easiest, but more expensive, way of doing it].

I mean whether ordered in bulk or acquired through purchasing a shitload of sets, it doesn't really seem like cost was much of a concern for that dude.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

asecondduck posted:

There's the Bricks and Pieces section of the customer service site where I think you can order pretty much any piece, though I just double checked it and it looks like that's been turned off for now.

I imagine that guy probably contacted Lego and set up an order with them, though.

I imagine the dupe Harrys are because he had to buy sets to get a bunch of NON harry minifigs (I wouldn't have thought LUGs could order minifigs alongside mass brick orders, too much scope for ebay/bricklink abuse), and a lot of those probably had extra Harrys. Unless he has like, 1000 harry figs, I didn't dig through the gallery.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

$200 off Millennium falcon at walmart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-Star-Wars-Millennium-Falcon-75192/138857969

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

I can go without eating for a month or two, right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or skip the daily coffee and eating out (or whatever routine splurges you might make) for a couple months and you'd break even.

But we all know we'd promise to skip that stuff, buy the set, then continue to splurge.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

I don't imagine it'll go 25% off again for quite a while.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You'll also need to find room to display that monstrosity.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Showing $799 to me. Is the deal already over?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Fayez Butts posted:

Showing $799 to me. Is the deal already over?

Looks like it is. That was fast. eBay scalpers must have bought out all the stock that was cleared for markdown, just like when the Porsche 911 went on sale a few weeks ago.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Oh, weird, I didn't know the Mini set wasn't released yet. I just saw it on the shelf at a Toys R Us in Québec this afternoon.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

A Bad Poster posted:

Oh, weird, I didn't know the Mini set wasn't released yet. I just saw it on the shelf at a Toys R Us in Québec this afternoon.

Canada has most of the new sets out.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Fatkraken posted:

(I wouldn't have thought LUGs could order minifigs alongside mass brick orders, too much scope for ebay/bricklink abuse)

Nope. Lego also used to offer support for events where LUG members could order sets half price and 10kg boxes of random parts (which usually had a lot of complete sets in them) but they had to stop as too many AFOLs were abusing that service.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Any recommendations on IKEA or similar shelves that would fit legos for storage and display, including ships and modulars?

I need to replace a small, skinny set of bookshelves in my eight year old old’s room with something that can fit legos instead of CDs.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If you look at my post history in this thread, you will find a link to the good ikea shelf. It's not cheap but it fits your needs.

E: It's the Galant series.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 19, 2018

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

Any recommendations on IKEA or similar shelves that would fit legos for storage and display, including ships and modulars?

I need to replace a small, skinny set of bookshelves in my eight year old old’s room with something that can fit legos instead of CDs.

Detolf is a good glass display case. The Billy bookshelf is exactly deep enough for modulars but about half a stud too narrow to fit three abreast, which bugs me to no end.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Detolfs are the gold standard in display cabinets and are very affordable and easy to assemble. I've got six of them and they're perfect, plus they keep out almost all dust and come with an optional hole for putting a light in.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Tenebrais posted:

Detolf is a good glass display case. The Billy bookshelf is exactly deep enough for modulars but about half a stud too narrow to fit three abreast, which bugs me to no end.

I thought it was the discontinued deep Billy that could fit a modular without overhanging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I will also throw out the Kallax as a good choice for regular sized sets and even larger system scale ships (an X Wing or an ISD) and the fact that you can get inserts for it if you just want to throw some loose bricks in one or more of the cubes.