Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Luneshot posted:

A few months ago there was a twitter hashtag for "bad stock photos of your job"; it convinced me pretty handily that the people taking stock photos don't give two shits about accuracy.

I'll just leave this here: https://twitter.com/darkstockphotos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jesus

https://twitter.com/darkstockphotos/status/1047023824502448129?s=20

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shouldn’t one or both of them be in a barrel of some kind?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Subjunctive posted:

Shouldn’t one or both of them be in a barrel of some kind?

How do you know they aren’t in a large, white barrel?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Platystemon posted:

How do you know they aren’t in a large, white barrel?

Whoa.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Relentless posted:

It's just force of habit to buckle ourselves, don't need warning beeps for it. I just like the arcane weird methods they have to get around it that are free, unlike fake buckles.

My Camry is old enough it doesn't even have beeps, that does not magically mean I forget to buckle myself up like an adult.

Ok i made it to the asian bus video,now i feel a bit sick :[ that guy just loving fell out of the window.

Wear loving seat belts.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

https://twitter.com/darkstockphotos/status/1066716384896475136

Oh, they've got a photo of former Aussie PM Harold Holt.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HisMajestyBOB posted:

https://twitter.com/darkstockphotos/status/1066716384896475136

Oh, they've got a photo of former Aussie PM Harold Holt.

This joke was funnier before I clicked through to the tweet.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

A restaurant and real estate office in Sapporo blew up a couple of days ago

https://twitter.com/tokumei_kun184/status/1074583821268377600

You'd think that it was some sort of gas leak in the restaurant, but, surprise, it was actually some folks in the real estate office trying to dispose of the contents of like 100 deodorizer spray cans:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/12/17/national/explosion-sapporo/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG2keYgBiZc&t=168s

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 18, 2018

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/fahrenheit-451/author/ray-bradbury/kw/johns-manville/signed/

yours for only $6,050

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Hey OSHA thread. So I work for a terrible company that recently lost most of it's contracts at our airport. As far as the fueling contracts go, we've actually gained almost every airline and have a near monopoly on fueling. So anyways, I was up for a promotion but instead they passed it to some middle management dude from our closing ramp operations so they wouldn't have to downsize him because "he's a good, loyal employee." Dude has no idea what the gently caress he is doing and he's supposed to be supervising in a very niche, highly regulated technical field.

Know what a water hammer is? So I was going to slow-fill a piece of fueling equipment that just had it's filter vessel changed, but quickly noticed something was very terribly wrong. Even with <20% flow it was making TERRIBLE noises and, for science, I determined that sound of stuff rattling around got worse as you increased the flow. It took some diagnosing before I asked the right questions and learned that my new supervisor had used that unit for training himself on test flows with the help of some fueling tech from the airport side. I asked him if it was before or after the filter vessel was changed, and if he did a slow fill. He just plainly tells me "Oh yeah it was after the filter vessel change, and no we just flowed it normally." He didn't just gently caress up horribly, dude has no idea he even did anything wrong. But he's definitely going to be hearing about this one. :munch:

The filter vessel has been completely destroyed internally and god knows what the chunks of the filter elements did to everything downstream of that. Best case scenario there's gonna be a lot of stuff that needs replacing and rebuilding. He's lucky to be alive because it could have blown the vessel entirely. Also he was on my case for working unapproved overtime his second day there. Dude cost the company AT LEAST $50,000 in damages in his first week, but me clocking overtime to diagnose what he hosed up lol nope.

Time to find a new job.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So to be clear, his fuckup cost your company all its contracts?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Are you the guy that's posted many times about this lovely company and how none of their trucks have working brakes, etc?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

spog posted:

Are you the guy that's posted many times about this lovely company and how none of their trucks have working brakes, etc?

*Clicks 'Show only posts by Sanctum'*

Yes, he is.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Some seriously OSHA content recently in the Cursed thread.

Yanango:

Goiania:

DrPossum posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%C3%A2nia_accident

https://www-pub.iaea.org/mtcd/publications/pdf/pub815_web.pdf

Legend has it that the security guard left to go watch the acclaimed film "Herbie Goes Bananas"

edit:

quote:

His six-year-old daughter, Leide das Neves Ferreira, later ate a sandwich while sitting on this floor. She was also fascinated by the blue glow of the powder, applying it to her body and showing it off to her mother. Dust from the powder fell on the sandwich she was consuming; she eventually absorbed 1.0 GBq and received a total dose of 6.0 Gy, more than a fatal dose even with treatment.

Tokaimura:

uber_stoat posted:

that was how it went down for this Japanese guy. they kept him alive for as long as they could so they could study what was happening. his body basically melted. even still he lived for almost 3 months.

https://www.amazon.com/Slow-Death-D...anese+radiation

I'd heard of Goania and Tokaimura, but not Yanango.

(omfg the Tokiamura one, I can't believe that humans would ever try to keep alive another human with no viable genetic material-- or that it would actually work for weeks while each cell slowly decayed and could not be replaced. Holy gently caress)

I'll add another, the SL-1 incident. Unclear exactly what happened, there near Idaho Falls in 1961, but an intentional act of either suicide or murder-suicide is a very strong contender.

The wikipedia article on the event is also really good.

quote:

Around 10:30 p.m. MST, the supervisor for the contractor running the site (Combustion Engineering) and the chief health physicist arrived. They entered the reactor building around 10:45 pm and found two mutilated men soaked with water: one clearly dead (Byrnes), the other moving slightly (McKinley) and moaning. With one entry per person and a 1-minute limit, a team of 5 men with stretchers recovered the operator who was still breathing around 10:50; he did not regain consciousness and died of his head injury at about 11 p.m. Even stripped, his body was so contaminated that it was emitting about 500 R/hr. Meanwhile, the third man was discovered about 11:38 p.m., impaled to the ceiling. With all potential survivors now recovered, safety of rescuers took precedence and work was slowed to protect them.

The third man was discovered last because he was pinned to the ceiling above the reactor by a shield plug and not easily recognizable.[7] On the night of January 4, a team of six volunteers used a plan involving teams of two to recover the body of Byrnes. On January 9, in relays of two at a time, a team of ten men, allowed no more than 65 seconds exposure each, used sharp hooks on the end of long poles to pull Legg's body free of the shield plug, dropping it onto a 5-by-20-foot (1.5 by 6.1 m) stretcher attached to a crane outside the building.

Although buried in several hundred pounds of lead, regular monitoring of the site still showed elevated radiation levels, and they added a new cap in 2000.

e: adding another Tokaimura post

Infinitum posted:

Woooooooooooooooooooow gently caress EVERYTHING about this

Extreme cursed link. Showing pictures of this dude :nms::nms::nms::nms::nws::nws:
https://icantbelieveitsnonfiction.com/2018/02/14/hisashi-ouchi-and-masato-shinohara/

Wouldn't let the poor guy just loving die :barf:

jemand fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 18, 2018

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
*clicks on the PDF link for Yanango*

Oh wait is this the one where the dude takes home the pigtail in his pocket and...

*scrolls down*

OH YEP, THAT'S THE ONE.

Also, as someone who's read a lot of PDFs from the IAEA, reading the book on Tokiamura was a lot less hard hitting than I expected it to be.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

spog posted:

Same company, but I'm on the maintenance side now and we are doing our jobs! Nowadays people are bitching about sticky buttons and inop air conditioners, but I'll pull any unit that is unsafe.

3 mechanics quit last month because we were promised raises (to stay competitive) and those didn't come through. We've all done our jobs and gained contracts while the rest of our companies' (ramp) operation tanked and now we aren't interested in hearing excuses. One dude is straight up fixing belt loaders for $6/hr more at the same airport so now all of us are fixing on leaving. I see him every day. Aviation is the 2nd most heavily regulated industry (nuclear being #1, space travel #0) so earning more at starting pay working outside of FAA reg is like... what?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
https://twitter.com/BissonTyler/status/1074438089085468672

Let's set up spike strips upstream of some stopped traffic and see what happens

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

n...nooo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

*clicks on the PDF link for Yanango*

Oh wait is this the one where the dude takes home the pigtail in his pocket and...

*scrolls down*

OH YEP, THAT'S THE ONE.

Also, as someone who's read a lot of PDFs from the IAEA, reading the book on Tokiamura was a lot less hard hitting than I expected it to be.

Ow my balls! Radiological edition

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

jemand posted:

Some seriously OSHA content recently in the Cursed thread.
I’m not really up on my health physics, but I’m guessing that by the time you’ve read, understood and acted on the DROP AND RUN warning on a 3450-Curie source, you’ve got a good chance of losing the fingers you used to pick it up in the first place...?

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Lazlo Nibble posted:

I’m not really up on my health physics, but I’m guessing that by the time you’ve read, understood and acted on the DROP AND RUN warning on a 3450-Curie source, you’ve got a good chance of losing the fingers you used to pick it up in the first place...?

Probably. But if you DROP AND RUN there's a better chance your life with one remaining hand will still be measured in years, not days. OTOH if you want to turn yourself into a walking ghost, ignore the printed advice and use as a suppository.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

a kitten posted:

Serval no! That's dangerous!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

jemand posted:

Probably. But if you DROP AND RUN there's a better chance your life with one remaining hand will still be measured in years, not days. OTOH if you want to turn yourself into a walking ghost, ignore the printed advice and use as a suppository.

But where else will I get that post-orgasm glow?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

DrPossum posted:

this is one of the most amazing videos i've ever seen tbh

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I don't understand why any of that is happening.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Memento posted:

I don't know for certain but I'm pretty sure there's no hand-solderable parts on a motherboard.
Plenty of people can hand solder SMD. It’s the opposite of easy tho.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

DrPossum posted:

I wanted to be in that car, to get out of that car, and scream gently caress YOU at that idiot loving speeder.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evil_bunnY posted:

Plenty of people can hand solder SMD. It’s the opposite of easy tho.

yeah you dont even use a soldering iron to touch the components, just a hot air blower and tweezers. Its laborious but not difficult.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

5er posted:

I wanted to be in that car, to get out of that car, and scream gently caress YOU at that idiot loving speeder.

I'm assuming that was the person the cops were trying to stop with the spike strip, not some random speeder. The real idiots are the cops putting up a spike strip while there's a bunch of cars parked there.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

DrPossum posted:

This is my neck of the woods, but what makes it precious is right away he drops the name of the road I drive every weekend

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ekuNNN posted:

I'm assuming that was the person the cops were trying to stop with the spike strip, not some random speeder. The real idiots are the cops putting up a spike strip while there's a bunch of cars parked there.

Uh, the cars were "parked" because of the spike strip.

Like lol come on guy. Use your brain. Cops stopped the traffic on the road so they could deploy the strips. Obviously this doesn't disappear the cars, so they pull over and wait for things to conclude. They weren't just random cars parked on the road. There are people in them waiting to drive away as soon as it's over.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

And the cops hosed up by not blocking traffic further away from the strip, or deploying the strip someplace with less traffic. Sadly those dumbfucks probably won't have to pay out for all the damage they caused by not thinking about what they were doing.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Cumberland County Lt. David Hall posted:

“Him crashing was not caused by the spike strips, but was caused by him overcorrecting.”

Everybody involved in this is hosed & will be battling in court about it for a long time.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Here's the police statement

Lieutenant David Hall of the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office posted:

“Usually, when spike mats are deployed, it is rapidly unfolding. We try to make it as safe as possible. If the suspect just drives over the strips, it is not a problem; if he tries to go around it or take other action, it becomes a problem. The spike strips [do not] cause someone to lose control of their vehicle; they deflate the tires very gradually so they can keep control over the vehicle. Him crashing was not caused by the spike strips, but was caused by him overcorrecting.”

Source : http://www.thedrive.com/news/25519/watch-a-high-speed-pursuit-end-with-a-crash-into-innocent-bystanders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Whenever I've seen videos of spike strips being used, they usually end in some sort of accident because the person fleeing the cops either tried to avoid the strip or kept driving and ended up crashing once the tires fell off.

If you just keep driving and then stop once the tires are deflated, sure you'll be fine but most people fleeing the cops aren't in the clearest state of mind.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 18, 2018