Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Precisely

The answer is not "cram everything into an oversized carryon" nor is it "bring one shirt and two sets of undies on a week-long trip" it's "check your goddam bag"

And honestly, who on earth has enough money to fly overseas on a major carrier, but the extra 25 for a bag is TOO MUCH if you have no choice to but to take a flight that charges you for it

I'm old enough to remember when you got two free checked bags and one carry-on the size of a briefcase (or something small enough to put under your seat) and there were no overhead bins.

I wish they'd go back to this and just adjust the ticket prices accordingly. Then maybe I'd get more than 2 inches of leg room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Midig posted:

Profiles on Tinder where they try way too hard to be funny/quirky.

Gotta get that Reddit karma.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

People in real life and everywhere else, who try way too hard to be funny/quirky/lolrandom, in lieu of showing their actual personality.

Trying too hard to be quirky and random is a personality.

Spalec posted:

Also, profiles on Tinder where they have multiple people in all their pics so it's not actually clear who I'm swiping on. I don't want to have to search through all pics looking for the only person in all of them.

If you assume they’re the least conventionally attractive person in the picture you’re gonna be right most of the time.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

FluxFaun posted:

video game pet peeve: why is the jungle level always the longest, most tedious poo poo? why is it always the loving jungle level that's the most annoying thing ever?

My friend, have you ever heard of the sewer level?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

My friend, have you ever heard of the sewer level?

Sweet levels too, yes. But it seems like video game developers were like "oh no one likes the sewer level let's switch to jungles!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like snow levels, and I wish there were more of them

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
Snow levels always had the best music. Same with factory levels.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Trying not to get petty, but watching someone else get attention, opportunities, and accolades for doing something that barely anyone cared about when you did it just sucks.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My extended in-laws send NZ-themed gifts for every Christmas and every birthday. If you can put a loving kiwi, koru, paua, greenstone, tui, bellbird, pohutukawa, kauri, or tuatara on it, we've received it as a gift. Twenty years and counting of this lazy bullshit. Why bother finding out what we actually like when you can send your brother a novelty pen that shouts a haka at you every time you try to use it?

After several years of painstakingly searching for exactly the right gifts for my MIL and her husband--very specific things they were into, like a book of Frank Lloyd Wright's Japanese influences--we gave up and started sending calendars of American landscapes. Eventually this dwindled to a large picture of her grandson. And a card. gently caress it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One really quite trivial thing that's annoyed me a bit over the past couple of months stems from work. My original supervisor, who was very easygoing and who I always got on quite well with, moved to a different department, and I was assigned to a new supervisor. Sometimes I feel like they see me as a bit of a child and it makes me feel like I'm back in school.

I'm sure they mean well but when I say something like, "I'm happy to do some work on this over the weekend," I'd rather get a response of either, "That would be great, thanks," or, "Thanks for offering, but there's no need," or something like that. What I don't really enjoy hearing is, "Well, that's certainly a decision for you to make as an adult," or some variation thereupon. It's that sort of thing, you know?

At the same time, I don't feel like it's something I can talk or would even feel comfortable talking to them about. It's just such a tiny thing and one of the only things I resent more than it is the fact that it does annoy me like this.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hirayuki posted:

My extended in-laws send NZ-themed gifts for every Christmas and every birthday. If you can put a loving kiwi, koru, paua, greenstone, tui, bellbird, pohutukawa, kauri, or tuatara on it, we've received it as a gift. Twenty years and counting of this lazy bullshit. Why bother finding out what we actually like when you can send your brother a novelty pen that shouts a haka at you every time you try to use it?

After several years of painstakingly searching for exactly the right gifts for my MIL and her husband--very specific things they were into, like a book of Frank Lloyd Wright's Japanese influences--we gave up and started sending calendars of American landscapes. Eventually this dwindled to a large picture of her grandson. And a card. gently caress it.

I loving hate the gifting portion of Christmas for reasons like this. My family has reached the point in life where we just buy poo poo when we want or need it, so it's nigh impossible to shop for them. I would love if if it wasn't a requirement, because I really don't want anything, and I never get anything that was actually an attempt at thoughtfulness.

This year is my last ditch attempt at bringing something thoughtful to the table, I'm bringing a pile of board games. My gift will be the experience so I won't ahve to sit through another 4 hour slog of Risk, 200 rounds of Uno, or watching my brother play board games on his computer*. If this year fails, I'm just giving up all together on buying them anything.

*last year I poo poo you not, my brother had us over to his house where because he doesn't own any board games, he hooked his computer up to the TV and forced us to "play" games on Tabletop Simulator. It was literally just him rolling dice and moving things on the computer, I wanted to literally do anything else.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Iron Crowned posted:

I loving hate the gifting portion of Christmas for reasons like this. My family has reached the point in life where we just buy poo poo when we want or need it, so it's nigh impossible to shop for them. I would love if if it wasn't a requirement, because I really don't want anything, and I never get anything that was actually an attempt at thoughtfulness.

This is why I hate Christmas. That and every TV show, movie, commercial, radio station, is constantly reminding me 24/7 that it's loving Christmas and I haven't given enough, bought enough, or decorated enough.

One more week of this poo poo. :corsair:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

This will be the first time in 11 years I haven't had to work on Christmas, so I'm going to tell my family that I'm sick and stay home.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Iron Crowned posted:

I agree with you 100%. It's nice to get presents, I guess, but my family also don't wait until once a year to get things we need or want, which makes gift giving hard.
But here is a secret life-hack, one weird trick that retailers hate: Gift giving isn't a requirement. :ssh:
If you can get everyone on board with the idea, it's a lot easier to focus on spending time together rather than having to run around trying to find some trinket for every person you know. Back when I was in high school my brother, sister and I jointly made a pact not to worry about getting gifts for each other. My mom still gets me some stuff (because it's what my Mom does) and I get gifts for my niece and nephews because they are still little but other than that I don't really buy presents for anyone unless I specifically see something that reminds me of them or if there is something I know they specifically want. It takes a huge amount of pressure off of braving the mall crowds because you have to find something to give to your mailman or whatever.
For a few years when my extended family (Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and misc) would all get together we would play a game of "Dirty Santa", so for the entire group everyone only had to get one gift and we had the fun of playing a little game together.
Of course, all this only works if your family can be cool about it. I know there are some people who could propose not getting physical gifts for each other and their family would respond with "WHAAAT? No Presents?!? Don't you love us? You have to get lots of presents at Christmas!!!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I did all of my Christmas shopping online, in early November. I have not had to brave a mall in December for years, and I couldn't be happier.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't really like buying presents for other people but I've always enjoyed getting them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

King of Foolians posted:

Of course, all this only works if your family can be cool about it. I know there are some people who could propose not getting physical gifts for each other and their family would respond with "WHAAAT? No Presents?!? Don't you love us? You have to get lots of presents at Christmas!!!

Yeah, this is my mom. I talked to them over the weekend and she was upset that I didn't get anything for my brother's fiance, someone I've never met, and my brother never talks about so I don't know a damned thing about her." I told my mom that "my gifts are meant to be opened before Christmas and enjoyed by everyone."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't really like buying presents for other people but I've always enjoyed getting them.

I have the opposite problem. I'm apparently very perceptive of what people like and what they'd enjoy getting. And yet despite my very public loves of art, books, sci-fi television, music, cooking, beer, and cannabis I'm apparently a mystery void where you toss cheap colognes.

Edit: writing it out makes me madder. Beer! I like beer, everyone in my life is aware of this by now! Get me a tall boy, a growler, a six pack, a gift card, a glass! It's braindead-level simple and usually less than ten bucks! If you're really at such a loss that you're giving me something from the teen section at the mall when I'm 33, you must be literally playing cartoons in your brain whenever we chill.

Now my real best friend drops by with cookies, a growler, and a joint ready to go, says "merry dankass" and plays N64

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 16:34 on Dec 18, 2018

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I love Christmas

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My peeve is how people turn into loving animals when it comes to public washrooms. I just had a lady and her kid try the door handle, and then immediately use the loving emergency unlock latch on the handle to force her way in. Fortunately I was washing my hands so my dick wasnt out. And then she acts surprised like "sorry! I didnt know anyone was in here!" Why did you think the door was locked?! And the washroom right beside mine was empty! What the gently caress

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I can deal with the fact that people take Christmas way too seriously and want to make it a miserable day for themselves but I hate it when they try to rope me into that poo poo

My favorite Christmas ever was about 5 years back when I declined to travel 4 hours round trip to spend the day with my then-girlfriend's wildly extended family exchanging extravagant gifts and sniping at one another and instead opted to spend it in my own living room with my roommate (who was unable to see his own family) smoking weed, making mexican food and play final fantasy 7. It was a contributing factor to me getting dumped and I don't regret a thing.

Christmas is supposed to be a good day, and therefore I want to spend it with my friends and my partner and other people I'm comfortable with instead of navigating a crowd of strangers and their dumb holiday traditions.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It really annoys me how insistent people get about gifts. I'm not a materialistic person at all and am not keen on stuff for stuff's sake. The most insistent people are also typically terrible at gift giving. A gift really needs to be about the person receiving it and, surprise, different people have different tastes. Yet the really insistent will often pay no attention to that and then go but it's the thought that counts so you're the jerk for not appreciating it. "I got everybody candles!!!!" Why? Not everybody even likes candles and some people rent in places you aren't allowed to burn them.

Lack of thought also counts, actually. If my answer to "what do you want?" is "nothing" then stop trying to shove poo poo I dont want at me. Yes I know that my taste for a simple life makes me hard to buy for. That's part of why I don't want anything for Christmas and part of why I quit celebrating it.

So I guess people ABSOLUTELY INSISTING that they give you a gift they knew you never wanted is a pet peeve.

You know what I want for Christmas? Left the gently caress alone.

...get off my lawn you drat kids.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My biggest problem with gift-giving is that I see a bunch of stuff I want for myself but can't justify buying.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I never buy gifts unless I know there is actually something the other person wants.

(Usually that means the only gift I give is some cash for my niece)

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

One really quite trivial thing that's annoyed me a bit over the past couple of months stems from work. My original supervisor, who was very easygoing and who I always got on quite well with, moved to a different department, and I was assigned to a new supervisor. Sometimes I feel like they see me as a bit of a child and it makes me feel like I'm back in school.

I'm sure they mean well but when I say something like, "I'm happy to do some work on this over the weekend," I'd rather get a response of either, "That would be great, thanks," or, "Thanks for offering, but there's no need," or something like that. What I don't really enjoy hearing is, "Well, that's certainly a decision for you to make as an adult," or some variation thereupon. It's that sort of thing, you know?

At the same time, I don't feel like it's something I can talk or would even feel comfortable talking to them about. It's just such a tiny thing and one of the only things I resent more than it is the fact that it does annoy me like this.

That sounds really aggravating, especially since it's so vaguely insulting that it's hard to call out without looking oversensitive. ($10 says this person knows exactly what they're doing.)

Askamanager.org has a lot of good advice on how to handle condescending bosses/coworkers -- here's a post that involves a situation similar to yours: my coworker treats me like an incompetent child. I like the suggestion to respond with a mildly puzzled, but still polite, "...What an odd thing to say," and then carry on with the conversation. S/he is the one being odd in this situation, not you.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Rabbit Hill posted:

I like the suggestion to respond with a mildly puzzled, but still polite, "...What an odd thing to say," and then carry on with the conversation. S/he is the one being odd in this situation, not you.

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of this tactic, both professionally and socially.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I love asking people what they mean by things.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Try being born in a family that doesn't have christmas. Just dig the songs and lights and gently caress all the family poo poo, it really helps.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Try being born in a family that doesn't have christmas. Just dig the songs and lights and gently caress all the family poo poo, it really helps.

I like my family though. Christmas is just a good excuse to go spend some time with them.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
lol just lol if you don't send your manservant Ernesto to take your place at family functions

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Andrast posted:

I like my family though. Christmas is just a good excuse to go spend some time with them.

I love my family too but gently caress traveling during the holidays. I waited a long time for that to be the family motto.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Wheat Loaf posted:

You're being negged, and the thing you should do every time they do it is what's best for you. Stop offering to work for free, stop working for free, and in general stop giving any loving consideration to people who act like pieces of poo poo.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Extremely petty peeve: mouth sounds. Several people at my company smack their lips, lick their chops, and/or chew with their mouths open. We're in a meeting and someone's just smacking their lips continuously right in my ear and I want to vomit. I hate that it bugs me, I hate that I'm so goddamn sensitive to noises. But argh.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

My ex and his family had a system of gifting where you were assigned a person and were supposed to just buy a gift for them but ended up having to buy a gift for the other 15 people there too and it was the worst. Now I spend my holidays with just my husband not being stressed out by all that bullshit 👍🏻

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

HOLY gently caress posted:

but ended up having to buy a gift for the other 15 people there too

Why? There was an AGREEMENT, dammit!!1

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

Extremely petty peeve: mouth sounds. Several people at my company smack their lips, lick their chops, and/or chew with their mouths open. We're in a meeting and someone's just smacking their lips continuously right in my ear and I want to vomit. I hate that it bugs me, I hate that I'm so goddamn sensitive to noises. But argh.
I hear you, misophonia buddy. :(:hf::( This is less a petty peeve than a medical condition, but there's not a lot you can do about it either way.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Brawnfire posted:

Why? There was an AGREEMENT, dammit!!1

Well, it started out as agreed then as the years went by it mutated into “buy smaller things for people in ex’s immediate family” then went to everyone. Since I was the most broke person there at the time I ended up opting out of Christmas entirely which annoyed some people but I don’t have to see them anymore!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
My mom's stupid boyfriend bought me a gift this year, apparently. I'd just as soon not reciprocate and piss him off, but my mom would probably be super angry if I did that. I loving hate reciprocal gift-giving obligation and I loving hate consumerism and I loving hate Christmas. I try and try to get people to stop giving me poo poo but they won't listen.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I blame passive aggressive people for that and many other things. So many people don't actually mean it when they say don't get me anything this year. What they really mean is "i am going to get you something really nice and when you don't get me anything in return you'll owe me". Don't fall for it, just get them a gift so you don't have to do the gift+interest scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Overpowered barbarians in civ games. gently caress you!!!!¡!!!