Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Danaru posted:

I already popped his spine out when I realized what happened (glad I started the cyborging pre-staple :v:) so he's no issue, but it's more the fact that he's consciously aware that I'm overwriting his humanity that has me a little unnerved :saddowns:

Rimworld: Unnerved by Nerve Stapling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pharnakes posted:

I'm not sure I can agree that is questionably ethics really.

The question is: what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Look people are generally resistant to change for awhile becoming coming to terms with that the fact that things are different. It is perfectly normal and I wouldn't worry about it. It's fine.

But just to be sure, amputate the body and keep the head on life-support / nutripaste IV drip till they calm down. Then reattach as a generous reward for good behavior.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Every day we stray closer to Futurama.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

The games says the AI on the vanilla turrets can't tell friend from foe. I want to take the brains from captured raiders to put into better turrets.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
AI Persona Core Turrets that can feel pain.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Wrr posted:

The games says the AI on the vanilla turrets can't tell friend from foe. I want to take the brains from captured raiders to put into better turrets.

It's raid time and a psychic drone just hit! One turret has gone berserk and is shooting everyone indiscriminately, another has gone catatonic, two turrets are now social fighting, and the last turret is... binging on psychite tea? I didn't even know we had any.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The question is: what the gently caress is wrong with you?

"Questionable" ethics implies there must be some kind of doubt as to whether it is acceptable or not.

So to answer your question; needless pedantry?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Pharnakes posted:

"Questionable" ethics implies there must be some kind of doubt as to whether it is acceptable or not.

So to answer your question; needless pedantry?

"What the gently caress is wrong with you" is a perfect legit question, meaning we can technically call them "Questionable" Ethics :v:

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Danaru posted:

It works fine with EPOE at least, the bionics it adds are cheap 'crude' bionics that have a -5 mood debuff each because they're sparky and itchy. Good for expendable nerve staples troops though :v:

ah, that's actually pretty neat, I'm definitely having a crack on that then

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Real Ruins mod gets high marks from me - another mod to make caravanning more interesting and the world better.

While caravanning, there's a chance your colonists will spot some ruins nearby. Most often they're small (a few dozen small rooms at most), but sometimes a faction tells you about a huge ruin nearby. Obviously, time to go check it out. Reminder, don't go to fix your gamma, that's my screenshots for some reason.

A ship still being built, cracked open manufacturing area with lots of near decayed poo poo, lots of rooms I can't see into yet, a line of defensive turrets with pirates trying to get in... almost 30 pirates.

They bashed themselves against the turrets and took a few out, but then withdrew to come at the base from the undefended south. I had thought that I could come up through the south and loot some stuff quick before getting out, but then I noticed too late the pirates weren't stupidly fighting the turrets anymore and hoped the base didn't have collapsed rocks or dead-end doors between me and the outside while avoiding turrets and the approaching pirates.

I stepped through what looked to be the research bay - not enough time/room to get the multi-analyzer or break down the fabrication benches for components - and through the freezer filled with rotten food, finding my way into the residential area. As the pirates came up, they actually split between going after me and going after turrets, which meant that I was able to use the urban warfare layout of the residential area to pick off a few more pirates, and then the additional pirates dropping from engaging the turrets again meant they fled!

I did save scum twice - first when I had gone through and claimed all the blocks on the map (because it let me) I thought that meant the turrets would be friendly... nope. I otherwise would've tried to go around, but I thought they were friendly, which was wrong. The other was when I tried to engage them in the party room and had time, yet put myself in an idiotic position tactically.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
That is quite a haul.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

McGiggins posted:

That is quite a haul.

Yeah, I couldn't carry anywhere close to all of it back, even with the brontosaurus. With item repair, the weapons have been a really welcome change as I had been rocking a pair of defense rifles and a few lever actions (Weapon Tech mod) with a charge rifle as my combat squad. The pirates dropped enough, and what was left over was good.

...I didn't take the stacks of human leather and unfinished human leather duster though...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wrr posted:

I'm not sure you have much experience with raiders if you think they would be better than the turrets.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure you have much experience with raiders if you think they would be better than the turrets.

Oh no no I don't think they'd be all that much better.

In my mind they're more or less the same as the regular turrets, they're just aware they're shooting their old friends and are capable of feeling regret and sorrow.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I've played a couple games in the same vein as Rimworld. Namely, Kenshi and Factorio. Would you guys recommend this game? It looks really interesting. Any good guides on how to start?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm wondering if Marvin's Combat Readiness Check is more of a nerf overall to raids than a rebalance. My colony is up to 13 people now, and is finally digging out the actual permanent settlement in the mountain (as opposed to the "oh poo poo falling debris" settlement under the hill), but the raids I'm getting a laughably weak. So much so that they are mostly wrapped up by three of my pawns. I recruited a Drow from the Drow mod and an Elf from the LotR mod, and introduced them to the wonders of gunpowder and rifling. Between those two, and one of my OG pawns with a salvaged Smart Sniper Rifle, they handle most of what Randy is tossing at me.

I imagine the elves are just naturally good with their guns, and my OG basically has an aimbot strapped to her rifle. It's funny, but I might need to up the difficulty, or just remove CRC.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Saul Kain posted:

I've played a couple games in the same vein as Rimworld. Namely, Kenshi and Factorio. Would you guys recommend this game? It looks really interesting. Any good guides on how to start?

Are you interested in playing The Sims, but with warcrimes and drugs? Do you not care about simple graphics? Do you think the idea of a space western colony builder sounds fun?

Then Rimworld might be for you!

Start with the crash-landed scenario, don't start with any mods (there are many, many mods). Within your first three colonists, it's good to do some re-rolling to make sure you've actually got a fighting chance to start (I use Prepare Carefully mod to make sure I have what I want without re-rolling).

What you need (debatable) in starting pawns:
- one that is good (6+) at Medicine, preferably with an interest in it, and preferably two pawns that can do medicine of some kind (so one can treat the other if needed, but that's not their focus)
- all can fight, though ideally 1 or 2 who are good (6+, and assume when I say good that 6+ is what I'm looking for) at shooting.
- one that is good at cooking
- one that is good at construction
- none that hate dumb labor (unless they bring other really needed skills)

My ideal is the main Medical pawn also being good at construction, cooking, crafting, or intellectual. Medical tending is intermittent and as needed, so it's not an all the time job like the other 4 can be. The doctor can run off to patch up wounds then get back to planting rice. However, try not to make your doctor your best combat pawn so your doctor doesn't get his fingers bitten off by a squirrel, as that makes surgery harder.

As you move forward in the game, you'll have the ability to get pawns that are good at crafting, intellectual, animals, or social, but those aren't necessarily "need to have otherwise die" skills in the very early game.

To start, pick a temperate forest tile that has a long growing season (40+ days). As you get better, you can think about picking the more interesting maps.

Lay down a field (8x8 ish?) of rice, and get a few harvest out of it (rice grows fast but has low yield). If you can, plant heal root. You can also consider planting cotton. If you're relatively stable and your main gardener needs more work, you can plant some fields of corn (corn grows very slow but has high yield).

Focus on getting a food supply and food storage, so you'll need some power to run air conditioners to make a freezer attached to your kitchen. Lots of people tend to shove all colonists into one larger room at the start, but colonists like private rooms over barracks living, so eventually you tend to switch out. You can put chairs in from of crafting spots (stove etc) so the colonist can sit and gain comfort while working.

Most people prefer playing Randy storyteller. Cassandra and Phoebe will increase raid strength to a point that you cannot win against, Randy always bases it on measures of wealth/colony size. A number of people play it to grow a colony, not to build the ship or escape the planet, which is why they prefer Randy.

And then... expect your first few colonies to die to stupid things and then next time, you learn.

...but always keep your goddamn doors closed and build walls around your colony. I'm not kidding about squirrels.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
What mod or mods can use the specialized ship parts? I have the trainer mod which only uses one of the AI parts but want to use all of them as I'm not building a ship.

Also I have the popular mod for animal armor but don't see where or how to make it. Any suggestions?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I think you need both animal armor mod bits to make it work - one adds the functionality, the other the basic armors.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

Are you interested in playing The Sims, but with warcrimes and drugs? Do you not care about simple graphics? Do you think the idea of a space western colony builder sounds fun?

Start with the crash-landed scenario, don't start with any mods (there are many, many mods). Within your first three colonists, it's good to do some re-rolling to make sure you've actually got a fighting chance to start (I use Prepare Carefully mod to make sure I have what I want without re-rolling).

What you need (debatable) in starting pawns:
- one that is good (6+) at Medicine, preferably with an interest in it, and preferably two pawns that can do medicine of some kind (so one can treat the other if needed, but that's not their focus)
- all can fight, though ideally 1 or 2 who are good (6+, and assume when I say good that 6+ is what I'm looking for) at shooting.
- one that is good at cooking
- one that is good at construction
- none that hate dumb labor (unless they bring other really needed skills)

My ideal is the main Medical pawn also being good at construction, cooking, crafting, or intellectual. Medical tending is intermittent and as needed, so it's not an all the time job like the other 4 can be. The doctor can run off to patch up wounds then get back to planting rice. However, try not to make your doctor your best combat pawn so your doctor doesn't get his fingers bitten off by a squirrel, as that makes surgery harder.

As you move forward in the game, you'll have the ability to get pawns that are good at crafting, intellectual, animals, or social, but those aren't necessarily "need to have otherwise die" skills in the very early game.

To start, pick a temperate forest tile that has a long growing season (40+ days). As you get better, you can think about picking the more interesting maps.

Lay down a field (8x8 ish?) of rice, and get a few harvest out of it (rice grows fast but has low yield). If you can, plant heal root. You can also consider planting cotton. If you're relatively stable and your main gardener needs more work, you can plant some fields of corn (corn grows very slow but has high yield).

Focus on getting a food supply and food storage, so you'll need some power to run air conditioners to make a freezer attached to your kitchen. Lots of people tend to shove all colonists into one larger room at the start, but colonists like private rooms over barracks living, so eventually you tend to switch out. You can put chairs in from of crafting spots (stove etc) so the colonist can sit and gain comfort while working.

Most people prefer playing Randy storyteller. Cassandra and Phoebe will increase raid strength to a point that you cannot win against, Randy always bases it on measures of wealth/colony size. A number of people play it to grow a colony, not to build the ship or escape the planet, which is why they prefer Randy.

And then... expect your first few colonies to die to stupid things and then next time, you learn.

...but always keep your goddamn doors closed and build walls around your colony. I'm not kidding about squirrels.

This should honestly be in the OP, because this is as close to a perfect tutorial as you are going to get. The in-game learning helper is pretty good, but it has a habit of telling you these things AFTER said thing has hosed you over.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

HelloSailorSign posted:

**excellent tutorial**

This is an excellent tutorial. I've been playing for ages and am pretty confident, and I'm still looking at that to start my next colony for a good balance

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Yeah that tutorial is spot on.

Need walls for those rabid bands of maneating lions/cougars/bears/squirrels/rabbits/terriers/cobras.

The wall will save you.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

"While the men of learning play with their quill pens, sire, our cities' defenses stay as thin as parchment. BUILD CITY WALLS!"

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, MP game is going up. This appears to be a hot lobby system, which is super baller. It also seems to work through steam so this is gonna be easy.

Ludeon Forums Mod Link

You should be able to use the server browser to find Gooncamp.

Ensure that you have no mods activated other than the MP mod and we'll see how this works.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
So how does this work? Everyone has separate bases and can pick their own tiles?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Phoenix Taichou posted:

This is an excellent tutorial. I've been playing for ages and am pretty confident, and I'm still looking at that to start my next colony for a good balance

These days I run as a solo or maybe duo start with charge weapons because I hate having anything accomplished in the first year (apparently).

My ideal crew on a 3 person crash-landed would probably be...
1) Doctor/cook
2) gardener/combat/2nd construction
3) construction/combat/social

If they happened to overlap more that's even better, but that's saying a 6+ skill start or burning passion, because those pawns can catch up quick. With their main uses, I also really prefer having at least an interest, if not a burning passion, for that particular thing.

And obviously nobody's addicted to anything nor has any health negatives, and everyone's under 40 years old. Even a simple scar can be awful at start, because depending on how bad it is can keep some pawns in enough pain for a -6 or so moodlet which can break you (them?).

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

jerman999 posted:

So how does this work? Everyone has separate bases and can pick their own tiles?

One map, everyone has control of the same pawns, no carvanning or overworked, for now.

All of these things will apparently be added though.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

This is why you make armor. Were it not for steel full plate, one of my best riflemen would be deader than disco from a tribal raid.

edit: yeah that's a drow in a bowler hat

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Latest game ended in a cascade of poo poo.. manhunting boomrats triggered a deadfall trap next to a steel walled ancient danger which promptly caught on fire. Once that had melted the ancient soldiers inside started throwing grenades at each other, toasting all of the loot, whilst the centipedes engaged the other manhunter boomrats and set off even more explosions outside. All of this happening only a few tiles from my base. They quickly breached the walls of my workshop and broke down the inner door to the main storage area where my pawns had taken up defensive positions. As my best fighter went down to a headshot I panicked, ordering the doctor to equip frag grenades to try and roll a few into the doorway where the centipedes were bunched up. Unfortunately they weren't particularly accurate so I could only watch in horror as the good doctor tossed a grenade right onto the stack of high explosive shells I had liberated from the last pirate siege and promptly forgotten about. All of my resources and most of my colonists were instantly wiped out, the survivors running through the base and out the other doors where they were promptly torn apart by the remaining boomrats :sigh:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I don't know what you're upset about, I don't really know how you could get a better Rimworld experience than that.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah, that's like the perfect cascade of things that Rimworld brings.

Mass of manhunting tiny critters? Check.

They also explode on death? Check.

You can melt steal beams? Check.

Forgotten items that can make or break you? Check.

Tanky enemies with big ol' gently caress off weapons that either need concentrated firepower, EMP weapons, or massed melee to take down, all managing to cram through one doorway? Check.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Manhunter chickens in the middle of a cold-snap blizzard. I sincerely believe this problem will solve itself in a few hours.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

So how has Many Goons One Colony gone? Have enough penises been drawn on the map?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm vain, so here's a timelapse of my base during the last year of game time.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It hasn't. Like most goon projects we are stalled in development.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I had it up for most of the day after I made that post, but no one bothered to join :shrug:

Eh, they say build it and they will come, but that doesn't seem to work on goons.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Heartcatch posted:

It hasn't. Like most goons we are stalled in development.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Pleasantly surprised that the multiplayer mod works, and works pretty well. Unfortunately it's not compatible with most mods, but it's neat anyway.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=47445.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Oh baby is this a game changer: if you strip enemies who are dying, their gear doesn't get the "tainted" debuff, even if they were wearing it mere seconds before death. I guess it's just the thought that counts.