Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Anyone have much experience designing worker placement games? I have an idea for one, where the “workers” are cards that have various effects. However, I’m having difficulty settling on what resources to have and how many places there should be to place workers.
You might want to look at Gùgōng and Underwater Cities, two recent games that have made a splash that essentially boil down to card-worker placement. As you're probably seeing as you draw out the theme and mechanics more, the decision of how many resources and worker placement spots depends on the higher level questions of what is it you want players to be able to do when they have whatever resources they need to accomplish the more interesting actions in your game. Then work backward from there to see how many steps of preparation you think a player needs to take before being able to do those more interesting actions, or how often you want each player to be able to do those actions.

Be careful with the idea of letting players battle with their workers to take worker placement spots, unless that's the primary mechanic/goal of your game. I haven't played Carson City, but to my understanding the dueling mechanic they have that essentially does that causes the game to drag on as the decision space for the player almost never shrinks on their turn. Normally in worker placement, the available spots get taken up each round, limiting your options. But if you can always try to attack someone to get them off any space, then you have to consider your odds and chances at almost every action every single turn.

As for the retreating mechanic, it might not be what you're looking for, but Raiders of the North Sea mixed up the worker placement formula in an interesting way by having different worker types that weren't bound to any player, and each turn you both place workers to take an action and remove workers to take an action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Alright, so I've got my board game rules-out, playtested a bit with friends/family/hostages and I think I'm ready for the next step. I'm here because I don't really know what that next step is.

My game is a space-race collectathon where you run around the map/galaxy collecting parts to duct tape to your mothership in order to explode/outplay your competition, with the objective of putting together a time machine to ensure your opponents eventually never existed. It's great, the game play is a blast and folks have nothing but good things to say.

I kinda want to start a kickstarter or patreon but I have zero artwork and no budget to commission some, and I feel without something pretty to look at I'm not going to get anywhere.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Cross posting this here, because here is the right place for it.

I asked Ettin about this and he suggested posting this here. If this sounds like a good idea I may make a thread about it.

I have a brother in Law who collects board games and wants to make one. In talking to him I had an idea and I'd like to know if you goons would be interested in checking the basic game mechanic and seeing if it works.

The idea is based on old NFL teams from the 20's. It's stuff I've been doing some research into a lot lately. The game would let you build a team by collecting players. each one would add something to the offense, with a limit of 20 players. When you went against another player you would each have a bank of offensive yards based on what players you had, roughly 150-250 yards or so and you would use them up in a half of a game and then start with a fresh bank of yards in the second half.

This is the game mechanic:

One player starts with 190 yards, the other 225 (just for testing purposes) You have a football field as the game board (I've just been using a printout) you place a marker (toothpick) on the 30 and roll a die. The die x10 is the yardage the ball moves forward. Player two can decide to go for the TD or to kick it back. If he goes for the TD, he removes the yards it takes from his bank.

Example:
Ball starts on the 30. Die comes up with a 3 so the ball goes 30 yards forward, to the other forty. Player two goes for the TD so he subtracts 60 yards from his bank. Then he kicks off from his 30.

If player two decides that's actually a bit far he could either kick it again or move forward how every far he wants before kicking the ball.

This goes back and forth until they exhaust their yards, although I may set it up that they can only kick 5-6 times or so. If the ball is kicked out of the endzone or lands on the goal line it becomes a touch back and goes on the 20.

Test it out if you could and tell me how well it works and feel free to change the yardage bank.

The game (If I do anything with it) is going to have more to it. I wanted the football game itself to be quick and simple. Whether the defense gets stuff to do is something I'm kicking around but I wanted to see if this part works and is fun first.

Do you have any questions?

The game would be called The Tin League.

(in the other thread Straight White shark pointed this one out and then I responded.)

Straight White Shark posted:

There's a dedicated thread for board game design.

My initial impression is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of game there, as described. There doesn't seem to be much room for strategy in the football resolution. There's a very minor edge to kicking if you're at or behind your 30, but the differences in EV are small enough that it's generally not going to make a huge difference unless you're doing something silly like punting when you're close to a TD. Ultimately it's just a dicefest, slanted heavily towards whoever got the better players. I'd suggest either making the football resolution even faster and simpler and making the game be 100% about team building and management, or else add some kind of real tactical payoff to justify spending the time to play out the football phase.

Darth Brooks posted:

Ya, I want to add more. I just wanted a test of the up and down movement on the field. I've a few football games where you just spin a dial and that seems just completely luck and didn't leave any room for team building.

One of the ideas was to have defensive cards. The defensive player would pull a card that was slanted against pass or run and then the offensive player would declare what his play was but it just didn't seem to play out right and made the game more complex. I want to have a short event and then move on to the other parts of the game. One idea I had was that for every TD a player scored they got a card that like a chance card, something good or bad.

There'd have to be something to make playing an individual event worth fun, but not something so time consuming that it was all that one event.

Additional stuff:

Thinking about it, the number of drives per half should definitely be limited to six per player. That should help keep it from being a dice fest and add some strategy to when you use up your bank of yards. I need to find someone and test it out myself. My son is two and my wife hates football so...

I have yet to figure out how to use this, but I'd like some reason to substitute different players. There's 11 on the field at one time, and they're usually good at certain things only. (Offensive linemen aren't good at catching passes. WR's suck at being linemen.) The rosters at the time was limited to 18 players, so that's 7 backups or subs for defense. Why their being subbed in is still a thing I'm thinking about.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 26, 2019

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
One thing to add would be to some explanation for people not familiar with American football, because I'm having a lot of trouble parsing the players' actual goal s out of all that yardage.

As I read it you're trying to get further down the field than the other player and the die plus some reserve points determine this. That also makes me wonder where the game part would come in. Apologies if I've missed something obvious.

Isn't a lot of American football about predicting the opponent's plays? I would try to work that in somehow.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

You'd need time limits, field goals, and some degree of interactivity with defensive players. Draft a team with a larger card pool with a mix of offensive and defensive players, each player plays a card for any given "play" and the yardage is offensive card minus defensive card. There's a football card game hiding in there, but just doing kick > roll > decision over and over with no interaction isn't particularly interesting or thematic. Need to give players choices and keep it revolving around the mind games of calling the right "play".

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
So I've been getting back into playtesting my brawler again. I'm still evaluating the latest round of feedback with a new group; as it's a little worrisome. If I'm being extremely kind to myself, I think the issue is that it can be brain burn-y (which is intentional), but that means running dozens of matches over a couple hours leaves testers worn down when trying to learn new match ups and play skillfully.

Because I got a ton of feedback that in the general is really useful (if occasionally contradictory), but in the specifics became a little bogged down. Which is a little tricky to process, but I think I'll keep testing with this group and see where it goes

I'm going to echo the sentiment that this feels more like a resolution system part of a game than a game, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it sounds like there's more you want to add to it? But I am woefully underequipped to speak on football, so without more concrete details I am unable to help.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

The on field part of the game is meant to be something you play 4-5 times in the main game (depending on the number of players) The main goal is to build your team (and survive.) The more you win, the better the payoff on games. I was thinking of a "chance" card (most good, some bad) that you get for scoring a TD. I didn't want to make something that was so complex that you'd get bogged down in a single contest.

Should I post up a list of rules for a game (the on field part?)

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
So back in July of last year AEG announced they were looking for Women Game Designers to have their games published at GenCon in 2020. I submitted my game, Walking Doggos, to it and never heard anything back. I pretty much gave up hope and ended up self-publishing on The Game Crafter because I was hard up for money and thought every penny helps so why not? I've sold 2 copies so far, one to a friend and one to a stranger, and I bought 6 copies for myself to demo with. So much for getting extra cash.

Then January came around and I got an email that blew my mind. AEG wanted to talk to me more about Walking Doggos! They asked me a bunch of questions, all of which I responded to along with mentioning that I've the game on The Game Crafter. I was terrified that I burned my chance by self publishing, and considering it's now March and they hadn't gotten back to me I assumed I didn't move onto the next step in the process.

UNTIL TODAY!!!! :dance:

I just got an email from AEG... they are going to call me on Skype next week for me to pitch Walking Doggos to them! I'm so nervous and excited. I might get to get it actually published and on shelves for a decent price! I mean, it's just a pitch meeting, so there's still a big chance that nothing will come of it, but there's a small chance they'll like it!

I'm going to die of anxiousness.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Hot drat, congrats!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Clearly some people already like it or you wouldn't be getting phone calls! Nice work!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

oh god the person I'm interviewing with is AEG's CEO, John Zinser. I just assumed it'd be with someone in their acquisitions department or something. NOPE.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Super cool, congratulations! German boardgame dudes are super cool in my experience, so don't sweat it too much. Good luck!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You loving got this! That's been a game genre I've always had a hard time wrapping my head around, and found even harder to teach, so I think you've got an excellent niche for a game here. Knock 'em dead! :toot:

Edit: Start rehearsing in front of a mirror!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Frozen Peach posted:

oh god the person I'm interviewing with is AEG's CEO, John Zinser. I just assumed it'd be with someone in their acquisitions department or something. NOPE.

I don't know about AEG specifically but a lot of these companies are surprisingly small - Rio Grande Games was known for being Jay Tummelson and his wife.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

John Zinser was awesome to meet and talk to. He seemed to really get my game and gave me great feedback on my pitch. Unfortunately they decided to pass on publishing the game due to already having a few trick taking games in the works that won't necessarily get published either. He did say to keep him in mind for my next designs, which is pretty awesome to hear.

I got a few things in the works still with Walking Doggos though, and some more publishers to email and hopefully meet with at Geekway to the West this year. Trying to stay positive!

Meanwhile I have 3 more game designs in various stages. Another card game, a worker placement, and a ameritrash horror themed game.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Congrats on getting the interview at least! It's cool that they're willing to hear you out for future ideas, that's a great in.

I'm still on the TGC step but I don't think I'll end up publishing for sale there - it puts weird price expectations on stuff with a medium amount of pieces.

Is anyone a pro on kickstarting games? I know it's a complicated process, but how time intensive is it to deliver alone? Like, I have a full time job, is it even remotely possible to handle something like that on my own?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Is anyone a pro on kickstarting games? I know it's a complicated process, but how time intensive is it to deliver alone? Like, I have a full time job, is it even remotely possible to handle something like that on my own?

I've read a lot of Jamey Stegmaier's Kickstarter blogs, and it's definitely doable, but drat if I think I'm capable of doing it myself. More power to you and anyone else who does it though.

I'm working on my second prototype right now. It's tentatively called Black Hat CTF, and is a hacking themed game where each player is trying to patch and clean their own computer while hacking other players' computers. I've had two really good play tests, but neither have culminated in a full play through of the game yet.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I work fulltime and have a whole lot of other stuff going on in my life in general. I kickstarted my first public gaming project last October and am starting fulfillment next month. I guess my question to you is what do you mean by "alone?" Like, if you literally do everything I dont think that's tenable. But you can definitely do it in general.

I am in Philadelphia and did all of the design, development, business side, and had to do a lot of conventions and other outreach to raise my and the game's profile. My sister in Wisconsin did the graphic design (she has a degree in it and has been working in print more than a decade), I hired a rules editor in Michigan. I worked with a board game media personality on Seattle, a Seattle based fulfillment guy, a company in Germany for fulfillment, a local illustrator, had lots of general support from my family in wisconsin.

Happy to answer questions if you have them.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/580070528/bee-lives-we-will-only-know-summer

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So, I’m working on a card game system that I think has potential, but need some advice on it.

The basic idea of the system is when you play a card, you more or less “equip” it into a “combo” of attacks. Your combo is around 3~5 cards long, and each card represents a different attack in the combo - so going from a sweeping kick into a straight punch into a fireball, etc. Cards are specifically be designed to synergize with each other and effect other cards in the combo. For example, your first card could move your position, then the second in the combo would deal critical damage if you’ve moved in the combo, then the third could heal you if you’ve dealt critical damage, etc. Your combo persists from round to round, and each round you add a card to it until you hit the limit, at which point it becomes more about refining the combo and improving its efficiency. There are also instant, single-use cards, that can provide more powerful temporary effects, or help you re-arrange cards in the combo if needed.

I think this is a solid enough system on its own, but I’d like the game to be cooperative rather than competitive, and I’m trying to think of ways to implement cooperative elements into the core gameplay. I could obviously just have some cards be something like “+2 health to another player” or something, but I’d prefer something more built-in to the core system. The most obvious way to me is to have enemies require players to specialize in mutually exclusive ways, such as one player needing to be tank, one needing to be DPS, another needing to be healer, etc. That’s a tad cliche however and I feel there’s something else I could do alongside that.

On the other hand, I could just drop the cooperative aspirations and just make it a pvp fighting game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

On the other hand, I could just drop the cooperative aspirations and just make it a pvp fighting game.
If you wanted to make it co-op, my first thought is that you work "assists" and "tagging out" into the combos, just like a real fighting game.

Definitely seems like a fun game for PvP, though, so please make it work as both. 1v1, 1vE, 2v2, and 2vE would all fit in that, I think.

Edit: Example that comes up. Player A uses High Punch, High Punch, Low Kick, Assist, High Kick. Player B gets to throw a single attack into Assist. It's still player B's choice which card to use, but Player A gets to choose where in the combo it goes.
Then, during his turn, Player B plays Low Kick, Jump, Dive Kick, Change. After that point, player A can play any number of cards to branch off of that, but now has total control over the entire back half of the combo.

Edit 2: You can't have a real co-op fighting game without the opportunity to get absolutely bodied by Cell, Gohan, and Vegeta three random characters who I won't name all blasting you with their specials before you can react.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 26, 2019

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

So, I’m working on a card game system that I think has potential, but need some advice on it.

The basic idea of the system is when you play a card, you more or less “equip” it into a “combo” of attacks. Your combo is around 3~5 cards long, and each card represents a different attack in the combo - so going from a sweeping kick into a straight punch into a fireball, etc. Cards are specifically be designed to synergize with each other and effect other cards in the combo. For example, your first card could move your position, then the second in the combo would deal critical damage if you’ve moved in the combo, then the third could heal you if you’ve dealt critical damage, etc. Your combo persists from round to round, and each round you add a card to it until you hit the limit, at which point it becomes more about refining the combo and improving its efficiency. There are also instant, single-use cards, that can provide more powerful temporary effects, or help you re-arrange cards in the combo if needed.

I think this is a solid enough system on its own, but I’d like the game to be cooperative rather than competitive, and I’m trying to think of ways to implement cooperative elements into the core gameplay. I could obviously just have some cards be something like “+2 health to another player” or something, but I’d prefer something more built-in to the core system. The most obvious way to me is to have enemies require players to specialize in mutually exclusive ways, such as one player needing to be tank, one needing to be DPS, another needing to be healer, etc. That’s a tad cliche however and I feel there’s something else I could do alongside that.

You could have a lot of fun with positioning stuff. Have different abilities care about where you are relative to your teammates and make it an intricate choreography puzzle. You want to have a teammate to your left or right on the 2nd card and need someone on the other side of the enemy on the 4th card, but they need to make sure they are in front of someone for their 3rd card, etc.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PMush Perfect posted:

If you wanted to make it co-op, my first thought is that you work "assists" and "tagging out" into the combos, just like a real fighting game.

Definitely seems like a fun game for PvP, though, so please make it work as both. 1v1, 1vE, 2v2, and 2vE would all fit in that, I think.

Edit: Example that comes up. Player A uses High Punch, High Punch, Low Kick, Assist, High Kick. Player B gets to throw a single attack into Assist. It's still player B's choice which card to use, but Player A gets to choose where in the combo it goes.
Then, during his turn, Player B plays Low Kick, Jump, Dive Kick, Change. After that point, player A can play any number of cards to branch off of that, but now has total control over the entire back half of the combo.

Edit 2: You can't have a real co-op fighting game without the opportunity to get absolutely bodied by Cell, Gohan, and Vegeta three random characters who I won't name all blasting you with their specials before you can react.

You know, when I first thought up the system it wasn’t even with fighting games in mind. It was more of just an idea for fighting fantasy monsters or whatever. Now that I’m thinking more about it though, it seems almost perfect for fighting-game-style mindgames and back-and-forth adjustment of strategies. Oh, the strongest hit of your combo is a sweep, so I’ll add a jump to that part of my combo, then add a dropkick after it. Hah that sweep was just a bluff, I actually was planning to swap it out for this anti-aerial attack which is even stronger, and now that you’re jumping there you’ll be wide open for it! There would also be the sub-game of trying to balance both offense and defense, and players could even go for different paces of the game - one player may try for a quick beat-down rush style of gameplay where they play very strong cards that are temporary, while another player would have weaker cards that last longer and provide for a more reliable, sustained style of combat that will win out in the long run (if they can survive the initial onslaught)

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Another way to add cooperation could be on how the timing of your cards work. If you have a plan your combo phase and then a run your combo phase; during the run phase, everyone would operate the first card of their combo, then everyone would operate the second card, and so forth. You could have double attacks where both players have to each play the same card on the same beat of the fight. Or you can have cards that have different effects based on whether a teammate is nearby or not. What’s the theme of the game? Is it like a fighting video game where a combo means the opponent can’t escape, or is it like a choreographed fight scene in a movie or anime or whatever?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

garthoneeye posted:

Another way to add cooperation could be on how the timing of your cards work. If you have a plan your combo phase and then a run your combo phase; during the run phase, everyone would operate the first card of their combo, then everyone would operate the second card, and so forth. You could have double attacks where both players have to each play the same card on the same beat of the fight. Or you can have cards that have different effects based on whether a teammate is nearby or not. What’s the theme of the game? Is it like a fighting video game where a combo means the opponent can’t escape, or is it like a choreographed fight scene in a movie or anime or whatever?

Honestly the idea came about while working on my Monster-Hunter-themed game, Behemoth, which is a cooperative game about four players working together to bring down a big monster. I liked the system and was trying to think of a way to get it working in there, but it’s so different from what came before it that it might be worthwhile just turning it into its own thing.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I had an idea for a game I wanna try making. The inspiration hit me when my GF was DMing a 5th edition game we were playing a couple of weeks ago.

The quick elevator pitch is something like Decent or Imperial Assault (Players fighting through a space as unique characters in narrative driven adventures) but instead of a preset map, we use the exploration and tile system that Betrayal on House on the Hill uses. Each encounter and event, with some exceptions, are completely randomized.

For now, I'm just gonna use the D20 system for combat and rolls, but eventually I wanna learn how to make my own combat system.

Edit: For the first prototype, what I wanna do is use a set of Pre-generated 5th Edition Characters and then create maybe a small deck of encounters for them to draw from. Im thinking each encounter will have different levels in order to count for different player sizes?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 12, 2019

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

So if I have a semi finished out idea do I show it to thread?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Just post.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

The rule book https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jd6RaDiYiaHyLkr96BLwXOFIlihZSe7jPD6KQMvgCPk/edit?usp=sharing

I have 80 or so cards made up that look like old school ball cards. They are dealt out at random, eighteen per player. They form the starters and backup players.

They go onto these:

I also have a football field where you can keep track of progress and scoreboard sheets. The blind chance cards are cards that are randomly positive or negative for the player.

The TLDR version is this, it's like a football game, but to pass you say how far you're going to go for and if the die (times five) is smaller than the number you don't make it. You have a limited number of passes in a game 2-8 or so. To run, you subtract yardage from an set amount. There are twelve drives for each team total and the running yardage refreshes at halftime. Kicking is just the die times ten and you have to say that you're going for a field goal.

If more than just two people are playing then there are rules for a playoff or league play. I am still working out stadium rental, salaries, etc for league play.

I have been debating what the defense would do and I haven't come up with anything that's satisfactory. In Monopoly when someone is rolling the dice you don't have another player rolling to block them. The other team gets the ball back pretty fast anyways and in that era of football the defense wasn't that big of a deal anyways.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Darth Brooks posted:

The rule book https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jd6RaDiYiaHyLkr96BLwXOFIlihZSe7jPD6KQMvgCPk/edit?usp=sharing

I have 80 or so cards made up that look like old school ball cards. They are dealt out at random, eighteen per player. They form the starters and backup players.

They go onto these:

I also have a football field where you can keep track of progress and scoreboard sheets. The blind chance cards are cards that are randomly positive or negative for the player.

The TLDR version is this, it's like a football game, but to pass you say how far you're going to go for and if the die (times five) is smaller than the number you don't make it. You have a limited number of passes in a game 2-8 or so. To run, you subtract yardage from an set amount. There are twelve drives for each team total and the running yardage refreshes at halftime. Kicking is just the die times ten and you have to say that you're going for a field goal.

If more than just two people are playing then there are rules for a playoff or league play. I am still working out stadium rental, salaries, etc for league play.

I have been debating what the defense would do and I haven't come up with anything that's satisfactory. In Monopoly when someone is rolling the dice you don't have another player rolling to block them. The other team gets the ball back pretty fast anyways and in that era of football the defense wasn't that big of a deal anyways.

Much improved over your last iteration. Couple of quick notes:
You have a lot of positions and players. Do you really have that many interesting things for them to do? Might want to simplify while you test to QB/RB/DL/OL. Would make individual cards matter more and give you a better sense of what works without offering too many decisions - especially if those decisions don't matter seeing as you just pick throw/run.
If you're going to add interaction, which you should, isolate it to OL and DL cards. Maybe they just give you a timer of sorts -- OL tries for 3, DL tries for 4, the DL will break through on 4 and sack if the QB hasn't thrown - how far you attempt for is how long you hold while the WR gets there. Likewise the OL tries for 3, DL tries for 1, OL holds and the QB is free to throw whenever. They could have set stamina and essentially turn into a mini game of "win with the least spent resources".
Having x5 and x10 on dice rolls is going to get real annoying real fast, just make the numbers what they are. If you need bigger numbers, roll 2d6 instead of 1d6. Scale accordingly.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

BigRed0427 posted:

So I had an idea for a game I wanna try making. The inspiration hit me when my GF was DMing a 5th edition game we were playing a couple of weeks ago.

The quick elevator pitch is something like Decent or Imperial Assault (Players fighting through a space as unique characters in narrative driven adventures) but instead of a preset map, we use the exploration and tile system that Betrayal on House on the Hill uses. Each encounter and event, with some exceptions, are completely randomized.

For now, I'm just gonna use the D20 system for combat and rolls, but eventually I wanna learn how to make my own combat system.

Edit: For the first prototype, what I wanna do is use a set of Pre-generated 5th Edition Characters and then create maybe a small deck of encounters for them to draw from. Im thinking each encounter will have different levels in order to count for different player sizes?

The most obvious issue with that is it limits your encounter design. The way you generate encounters means there is little to no foreshadowing for each encounter. So every encounter has to be theoretically beatable by every team composition. Otherwise you end up in a situation where the players can just lose when the draw the encounter, AKA bullshit.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

golden bubble posted:

The most obvious issue with that is it limits your encounter design. The way you generate encounters means there is little to no foreshadowing for each encounter. So every encounter has to be theoretically beatable by every team composition. Otherwise you end up in a situation where the players can just lose when the draw the encounter, AKA bullshit.

That seems solvable by having some kind of rising tension gauge based on the number of encounters already drawn that influences some of the numbers on the cards or something - if you draw an orc as the first encounter it has 10 hp, if you draw it as the fourth encounter it has 20 HP and a special attack, that kind of thing.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Or you can deckbuild your encounter decks. You can even branch them by win/loss or other factors.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

food court bailiff posted:

That seems solvable by having some kind of rising tension gauge based on the number of encounters already drawn that influences some of the numbers on the cards or something - if you draw an orc as the first encounter it has 10 hp, if you draw it as the fourth encounter it has 20 HP and a special attack, that kind of thing.

I was more worried about things like having a class that relies on melee attacks for everything and having the monster that counters melee attacks in the same game. Without some ability to choose your fights, you have to be careful when creating monsters that hard counter (or even soft counter) specific tactics.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

golden bubble posted:

I was more worried about things like having a class that relies on melee attacks for everything and having the monster that counters melee attacks in the same game. Without some ability to choose your fights, you have to be careful when creating monsters that hard counter (or even soft counter) specific tactics.

As long as your encounters are designed holistically I don't think it would be an insurmountable issue, since you just make sure that monsters which counter X only show up in mixed groups that include monsters vulnerable to X. It only becomes a real issue if you're doing something like drawing 3 random monsters, because then you might draw 3 with overlapping strengths/weaknesses or unbeatable synergies etc.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Nephzinho posted:

Much improved over your last iteration. Couple of quick notes:
You have a lot of positions and players. Do you really have that many interesting things for them to do? Might want to simplify while you test to QB/RB/DL/OL. Would make individual cards matter more and give you a better sense of what works without offering too many decisions - especially if those decisions don't matter seeing as you just pick throw/run.
If you're going to add interaction, which you should, isolate it to OL and DL cards. Maybe they just give you a timer of sorts -- OL tries for 3, DL tries for 4, the DL will break through on 4 and sack if the QB hasn't thrown - how far you attempt for is how long you hold while the WR gets there. Likewise the OL tries for 3, DL tries for 1, OL holds and the QB is free to throw whenever. They could have set stamina and essentially turn into a mini game of "win with the least spent resources" x5 and x10 on dice rolls is going to get real annoying real fast, just make the numbers what they are. If you need bigger numbers, roll 2d6 instead of 1d6. Scale accordingly.

I'm not sure about making the game more complex. There's a whole bit with different stadiums that will probably be standardized.

As far as the dice, I may look to see if I can find some with the numbers already on them. "Roll the blue die to pass, roll the red die to kick." Or such.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 13, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Darth Brooks posted:

I'm not sure about making the game more complex. There's a whole bit with different stadiums that will probably be standardized.

As far as the dice, I may look to see if I can find some with the numbers already on them. "Roll the blue die to pass, roll the red die to kick." Or such.

I'm talking about simplifying the game to its core idea to see if it works before adding much of anything else, only adding complexity in the form of interaction so you don't just take turns watching eachother roll dice.

That, uhh, is an interesting paste into my quote. Good clipboard work.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Darth Brooks posted:

Have you considered getting rid of dice all together? Depending on what you have in mind for the game, you could replace them with cards that players play against each other, then defense has something to do instead of sitting there watching offense roll dice. Cards could just have the number of yards on them, and defense needs to play a card of lesser value in order to block the pass or kick. So going for a long pass would be risky, unless you know that the other player has already spent all their low cards. Or you could tease out all of the opponent's low cards with short passes and then nail them with a huge kick now that you've set them up to be unable to stop it. It's not a perfect 1-to-1 rendition of football, but does get the same experience of using plays to manipulate your opponents into a worse position.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Lol. That was entirely unintentional. The post above is literally my first post from a phone.

I'll think about what you've said. I want to game test it where its at. In the play throughs that I've done already there's not a lot of time between turns.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Have you considered getting rid of dice all together? Depending on what you have in mind for the game, you could replace them with cards that players play against each other, then defense has something to do instead of sitting there watching offense roll dice. Cards could just have the number of yards on them, and defense needs to play a card of lesser value in order to block the pass or kick. So going for a long pass would be risky, unless you know that the other player has already spent all their low cards. Or you could tease out all of the opponent's low cards with short passes and then nail them with a huge kick now that you've set them up to be unable to stop it. It's not a perfect 1-to-1 rendition of football, but does get the same experience of using plays to manipulate your opponents into a worse position.

What I want to do with this is to get a primitive system that can be built on. If there's versions of the game for the 30's, 40's,etc each would build off of this version of the game.

A game based on the teams of the 30's would have one style of offense/defense interaction and one based on the 40 would have a different one, but both would have the primitive core from this game.

REALLY LATE EDIT:

I've done some play-throughs with the board game nerd and we talked about ideas for the game. He first suggested using a game mechanism from a game idea that he was developing having to do with dice and/or cards to determine whether a turn was successful. We talked as well about using a system where the defense would put a card face down that had percentages based on where and what type of play the offense chose. If it was a run to the right side and the defense was canted toward that kind of play, the offense would be stopped. At one point he was staring at the board, wondering how to get all 22 players moving and interacting with each other. It felt like the ideas were getting away from the core game idea which is why it may feel like I'm resistant to change.

Honestly, the sport was pretty primitive at the time too. Most teams were made up of guys who had jobs during the week. Defensive formations (or even planning) was rare. It was mostly "Don't get blocked and go get the guy with the ball." Most plays were runs and no one kept stats until 1932-33.

In what's been build so far the number of yards per half has been kept low (70-110 yards per half) so that the game wasn't a score fest and I may take those number lower now. I worry that if I throw in some mechanic to disrupt offense that scoring will become impossible.

Our play-through was about 20-25 minutes and that was before putting in passing so I think game time is close to about right. Short enough that you could play multiple games but not so short that there's no use in setting the game up. I may put historical rosters in the handbook so that someone can just pick a team and not have to go through the process of picking cards. Looking at the records from 1920 there were definitely two tiers of teams so I can use that somehow.

Do they make dice that are numbered by fives (5, 10, 25, 20, 25, 30) or by tens?

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

So I'm at Geekway, and walk into the Play and Win room to find that almost all of my copies of Walking Doggos are checked out. I decide to go on a mission to find a copy being played and to introduce myself to the players and ask how they liked it and what their thoughts were. I'm walking through the main hall and find a copy sitting on a table with a filled out play and win card next to it. Awesome! I hype myself up to not be terrible stupid and awkward.

Then I see who's sitting at the table: Jamey Stegmaier.

Jamey loving Stegmaier played my game. All hope of being cool and not awkward is thrown out the window. Before I can even speak, he sees me there and says "Hey, Mattie! We just played your game! It was really good!"

I about died.

We ended up talking for like 10 minutes about game design and what I playtested in the game and how different scenarios worked out and about some of the decisions I made in the design, but in the end he really liked it!

A few days later, I'm sitting at Geekway HQ taking a break from the rush of everything, and log into BGG to see if anyone rated it, and that's when I found that Jamey himself rated my game a 7!

I tweeted out a screenshot because I was so excited, and he responded to me with this:

https://twitter.com/jameystegmaier/status/1130273512596418562

I have no idea why he thought I'd not want the publicity of being in one of his videos, but "most innovative" of the con is an amazing thing to hear. I'm insanely happy right now.