Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

But I thought it took quite a bit of agility getting in the i8?

lovely page snipe - have some rolling probable cause (if the wisco plate wasn't enough)

NoWake fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NoWake posted:

But I thought it took quite a bit of agility getting in the i8?

lovely page snipe - have some rolling probable cause (if the wisco plate wasn't enough)

Naw, it's easy as hell to get in to.

The hard part is getting out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37kVzZJaJ1M

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Spend the money you save by going Ryobi on the big batteries. My blue Ryobi kit worked okay on the OG NiCds, and Mom's green set works good on the Li batteries.that came with it, but boy howdy the Li battery the size and weight of the NiCd is a game-changer.

That said, Dad's Milwaukee 12v drills he kept when he retired are pretty good and compact.

I've got non-branded 4.0 Ah replacement batteries for my Ryobi set, and have had good results with them versus the 2.0 Ah that came with the drill. The rest of my set I bought blue tools, used, from eBay, and just didn't ever bother to use the NiCads or charger. Very forward thinking of Ryobi to make the newer (green) Lithium batteries the same form factor as the NiCads. Unlike my Black and Decker Firestorm set, which is useless because NiCads are garbage, and they changed form factors (and voltage!) when they went to Lithium.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Yeah, I originally asked Santa for the Ryobi kit because it was cheap, I stayed with Ryobi because they made the better batteries backward-compatible. I can slap that 4ah Li into my blue tools, and they run great.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Powershift posted:

Left hand on door sill, left leg hanging out. Push body up with left arm and try to reduce the amount of how you look like an idiot while you try to regain balance on the left leg while evading the stupid door, while doing a rolling motion like a pole vaulter over the door sill.

Only takes a couple of tries until you master how to get out of an i8, still looking like an idiot.

The true test is getting in an i8 with bright leather without having the front left part of the dashboard look like poo poo. They started putting a plastic cover there, but it's too small.

No wonder the car doesn't sell.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

If you aren't in your i8, how will people know how great you are? Getting out of one is for the undeserving. :colbert:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Memento posted:

Now how on Earth did you gently caress that up?

https://i.imgur.com/Ygt9Pze.mp4

...oh.

thank you for this - gott send to my friend thar just rented one of these on her roadtrip

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jonny Nox posted:

If you aren't in your i8, how will people know how great you are? Getting out of one is for the undeserving. :colbert:

But how will you tell everyone how great hybrid sports cars are? That's the point of the i8, to tell everyone how you are better than the other idiots who pay too much money for a car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I saw an i8 with nitrous tanks in the back. No joke.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powershift posted:

Naw, it's easy as hell to get in to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37kVzZJaJ1M

Is it just me or did he need to take a breather in the middle of his efforts there?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I saw an i8 with nitrous tanks in the back. No joke.

On a 1,5l three cylinder? Wow....

Also, I can only assume how much that fucks up the whole hybrid mode. I mean, the i8 only starts to shine/feel like an actual sports car either once you push comfort mode or go right into sports mode, when the eDrive and the combustion engine work together in perfect tune. Start it a bit too sporty on a wet road, and of you go with spinning front tyres until the eDrive ESP kicks in, same if for some reason the back can't get the same traction as the front. What I'm trying to say: the car is busy enough to keep the two drives in harmony (allthough it does a pretty good job at that), I don't even wanna know what happens if the rear engine suddenly has two times or more of the expected power.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Has this been posted yet? it features such nuggets as "The emergency door release is the most broken part on the car" and "There is no reason to open the hood unless its in the workshop"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxe_b2GRwok

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Well....you also can't/aren't suppose to open the hood on a Porsche 918, McLaren P1, Ferrari LaFerrari etc.....

But here's a funny thing I noticed on the i8 couple weeks back: the latch to fill wiper fluid is open to everyone (and it only takes a very, VERY small amount of wiper fluid). Since you are not supposed to remove the hood, and they didn't bother to put the latch somewhere were it could be locked, everyone can fill up an i8's wiper fluid reservoir with whatever they want to. Even if the car is locked.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tuo posted:

On a 1,5l three cylinder? Wow....

Also, I can only assume how much that fucks up the whole hybrid mode. I mean, the i8 only starts to shine/feel like an actual sports car either once you push comfort mode or go right into sports mode, when the eDrive and the combustion engine work together in perfect tune. Start it a bit too sporty on a wet road, and of you go with spinning front tyres until the eDrive ESP kicks in, same if for some reason the back can't get the same traction as the front. What I'm trying to say: the car is busy enough to keep the two drives in harmony (allthough it does a pretty good job at that), I don't even wanna know what happens if the rear engine suddenly has two times or more of the expected power.

I’m really not sure what this guys angle was. He had an i8, DB9, f350, rubicon, and a GLA. Presumably another car as well because he wasn’t home and I was viewing his house for a showing. As far as I could tell there were only 2 occupants of the house. Absolutely massive gun safe in the basement as well. Bank vault door and everything.

What’s strange is you hear all this and expect a multi million dollar house. It was $309k.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

tuo posted:

everyone can fill up an i8's wiper fluid reservoir with whatever they want to. Even if the car is locked.

valet drivers rejoice

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Eh. I know owner accessibility to mechanical bits is going ever down, but requiring two persons to do a very specific procedure to fix a dead battery is dumb. That happens often enough, and especially with exotics that may sit a lot. Looks like you will gently caress the paint or hood if you do it even slightly wrong. An i8 isn't nearly in the same league as P1s etc.

Some jokers had filled the wiper reservoir of a rental my brother had a few years back with milk. You can bet that smelt great after sitting in the Italian sun.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’m really not sure what this guys angle was. He had an i8, DB9, f350, rubicon, and a GLA. Presumably another car as well because he wasn’t home and I was viewing his house for a showing. As far as I could tell there were only 2 occupants of the house. Absolutely massive gun safe in the basement as well. Bank vault door and everything.

What’s strange is you hear all this and expect a multi million dollar house. It was $309k.

You'd be surprised how many people drive expensive cars and live rather normally. i8, DB9, f350 etc. of course is off the charts for a typical "I spend too much money on cars, but else I am rather normal"-person....but I met someone who owns both a Lambo Diablo and a Ferrari Testarossa who struggles to keep their tanks topped up. Of course both are not even insured like they should be. Cars can become a drug on their own, I guess.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Humbug posted:

Eh. I know owner accessibility to mechanical bits is going ever down, but requiring two persons to do a very specific procedure to fix a dead battery is dumb. That happens often enough, and especially with exotics that may sit a lot. Looks like you will gently caress the paint or hood if you do it even slightly wrong. An i8 isn't nearly in the same league as P1s etc.

Some jokers had filled the wiper reservoir of a rental my brother had a few years back with milk. You can bet that smelt great after sitting in the Italian sun.

I agree that the i8 is far away from the cars I mentioned, but you actually don't need to access the hood even if the low-voltage battery dies, as the car will run anyway as long as the high-voltage battery is powered. At least that's what BMW told me. Even if the remove the battery, the converter is able to power the low-voltage parts of the car to get it started.

In regard to the flimsy hood: it's stupid, yeah, but the i8 is all about saving weight as much as possible (=> no powered steering pillar etc.). It is a show car, a mass produced prototype, if you will. A showcase of how to save as much weight as possible, while producing a "green" sports car (carbon fibre mixed with recycled plastic, all interior leather beeing untreated, no wood or colored leather even if you beg BMW Individual and throw money at them etc.).

It's a cool, stupid car, that is a major failure.

e: I just realized BMW, after firing the guy responsible for the i-series, now offers the i8 roadster with colored leather. :lol:

tuo fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 18, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

also: yeah, wood trim in a sports car owns

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

tuo posted:

But here's a funny thing I noticed on the i8 couple weeks back: the latch to fill wiper fluid is open to everyone (and it only takes a very, VERY small amount of wiper fluid). Since you are not supposed to remove the hood, and they didn't bother to put the latch somewhere were it could be locked, everyone can fill up an i8's wiper fluid reservoir with whatever they want to. Even if the car is locked.

I want to piss in it

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Previa_fun posted:

I want to piss in it

You can

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Previa_fun posted:

I want to piss in it

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Humbug posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKobwz7wJso

I found it an interesting watch.

Before you start, have a guess how man drain plugs a Veyron has? 1, 2, 3 or 4?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Yeah, I originally asked Santa for the Ryobi kit because it was cheap, I stayed with Ryobi because they made the better batteries backward-compatible. I can slap that 4ah Li into my blue tools, and they run great.

I've got no complaints on the quality of the tools for home/hobbyist use, either.

spog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKobwz7wJso

I found it an interesting watch.

Before you start, have a guess how many drain plugs a Veyron has? 1, 2, 3 or 4?

edit: OK, I thought I was being facetious. And gently caress the engineer that designed that thing. Here, remove all this fragile, expensive poo poo to change the loving oil.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 19, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tuo posted:

You can

I will

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci5NK_feVCo

Also gonna steal the little plastic cover.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Darchangel posted:

I've got no complaints on the quality of the tools for home/hobbyist use, either.

edit: OK, I thought I was being facetious. And gently caress the engineer that designed that thing. Here, remove all this fragile, expensive poo poo to change the loving oil.

Is this one of those deals where this was actually the prescribed method for an oil change? Or is it more likely that they'd use some kind of pump to suck the old oil out and replace it?

I imagine finding an FSM for a Veyron is not a thing, but I'm really curious to see Bugatti's manual on this sort of maintenance.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MetaJew posted:

Is this one of those deals where this was actually the prescribed method for an oil change? Or is it more likely that they'd use some kind of pump to suck the old oil out and replace it?

I imagine finding an FSM for a Veyron is not a thing, but I'm really curious to see Bugatti's manual on this sort of maintenance.

My wild guess is that a dry sump consists of multiple baffled stages and you need to drain them all to get all the old oil out. So they just put one drain plug in each stage, good to go.

A VW-style dipstick oil extractor probably wouldn't get it all unless you could also dry-run the engine oil pump at the same time (which is probably bad for it anyway).

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My wild guess is that a dry sump consists of multiple baffled stages and you need to drain them all to get all the old oil out. So they just put one drain plug in each stage, good to go.

A VW-style dipstick oil extractor probably wouldn't get it all unless you could also dry-run the engine oil pump at the same time (which is probably bad for it anyway).

Yeah, it crossed my mind that it was most likely a a dry sump system, but I didn't know that dry sumps had multiple baffled stages or whatever. Is that also true for oil changes on the dry sump Corvettes?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Darchangel posted:

Heh, yeah you were off by a tad.

I'm actually a little confused by the video. To me it looked like once that bottom panel is off you would be good to go. It is weird it doesn't have a normal hood though.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MetaJew posted:

Will the service intervals for a McLaren F1 do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsKDGdcb6BQ

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Leno has a good one on his F1. He said the wiper blade needs to be replaced and it costs $1,000. He said screw it, it doesn't rain in LA.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Colostomy Bag posted:

Leno has a good one on his F1. He said the wiper blade needs to be replaced and it costs $1,000. He said screw it, it doesn't rain in LA.

His fuel cell also needs to be replaced like every 6 months, and doesn't understand why they can't just upgrade the thing so it never needs to be replaced like other fuel cells.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Somehow it's satisfying to know that rich people get shafted by bullshit like this even more than us poors.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, there was another interesting article where there is just one guy in the US that runs a shop qualified to work on the F1.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/a14453949/the-only-mclaren-f1-technician-in-north-america/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The adage "if you can afford two ferrari's you can afford one" needs to be updated to apply to any exotic. :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Somehow it's satisfying to know that rich people get shafted by bullshit like this even more than us poors.

Then again the F1 is an asset at this point and if they maintain it correctly it will just go up in value

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

wargames posted:

His fuel cell also needs to be replaced like every 6 months, and doesn't understand why they can't just upgrade the thing so it never needs to be replaced like other fuel cells.

That's actually mandatory on an F1 if you want to upkeep official support for the car, allthough IIRC it's like two years??? I can't remember where I red it, so take it with a grain of salt, but IIRC they imposed this restriction after a couple of F1s went up in flames, so the easy fix was "bring us the car so we can replace the fuel tank every couple of years".

Then again, Ferrari sells cars that you never get. You pay for them, and you can arrange track days where they bring the car, and you can drive it a bit, and then they take it away from you again. If i'd be super rich and money is of no concern, I'd rather have a lovely supercar where I have to replace the fuel tank every now and then, instead of a car I can't look at when I feel like it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

BraveUlysses posted:

Then again the F1 is an asset at this point and if they maintain it correctly it will just go up in value

Yeah, until the bubble bursts. The F1 might be safe but the lower hanging fruit (think like a Countach or a Testarossa) is going to plummet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Leno changes whatever he wants to on his older classic cars to make them more usable/driveable every day, he obviously has a specific interest in keeping the F1 100% stock and perfectly maintained.