Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Jonah Galtberg posted:

hot take: anti-vaxxing stuff is similar to "they took our jobs" type racism in that it's a misguided expression of the discontent and anxiety created by an economic system that operates in the interests of corporations rather than actual people living under it

Sure, especially from the healthcare system of America, where antivax stems. Healthcare provision is a genuine fight to the death and dismay of your family. They are explicitly weird enemies who ransom your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Jonah Galtberg posted:

hot take: anti-vaxxing stuff is similar to "they took our jobs" type racism in that it's a misguided expression of the discontent and anxiety created by an economic system that operates in the interests of corporations rather than actual people living under it

Rich people are more likely to be antivaxxers though.

(The very poor are also more likely to not get vaccines, but that's because of, well, poverty, not ideological stupidity)

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/1753-6405.12676

quote:

The analysis results support the hypothesis that childhood immunisation coverage may be lowest at either end of the socioeconomic spectrum.
The findings also show lower immunisation coverage for all vaccines (except varicella) in the older two age cohorts in higher ranked areas when measured by the IEO. This suggests that under‐vaccination in more highly skilled and educated populations may be based on vaccine concerns, rather than access issues related to financial disadvantage, as indicated by the IER.
Thus, when looking at vaccine refusal specifically, rather than just coverage, wealthier parents appear more likely to register a vaccine objection compared to more financially disadvantaged families.

Antivax is in the same vein as jade vagina eggs and activated almonds - bourgeois nonsense that is mostly only relevant to the economically deprived as far as they think it is something rich people do, or that the rich try to grift them with.

ModernMajorGeneral fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 18, 2018

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Labor Party’s Sydney headquarters has been raided by the Independent Commission Against Corruption over a fundraising dinner for Chinese supporters.

More than 600 people attended the dinner at The Eight restaurant in Sydney’s Chinatown on March 13, 2015, two weeks before the NSW election.

Among those at the dinner were then state opposition leader Luke Foley, federal Labor leader Bill Shorten, federal MP Chris Bowen and state MPs Nick Lalich and Ron Hoenig.

Senior Labor sources have confirmed that Tuesday’s raid was in relation to the Chinese Friends of Labor fundraising dinner. The funds from the dinner went into the party’s campaign account for the state election, which the Liberals won.

The Herald understands ICAC investigators arrived at the Labor headquarters on Sussex Street on Tuesday morning looking for records as part of an ongoing investigation. The key link between wealthy Chinese donors and Labor politicians is upper house MP Ernest Wong.

In 2013, the then general secretary of the NSW branch of the party, Sam Dastyari, rewarded Mr Wong’s prodigious fundraising ability with an upper house seat.

Mr Wong, a former Burwood councillor, replaced former treasurer Eric Roozendaal, who left Parliament to work for businessman Huang Xiangmo’s Yuhu Group.

Mr Wong has close ties to the Chinese development company, which has donated millions of dollars to both sides of politics.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lid posted:

The Labor Party’s Sydney headquarters has been raided by the Independent Commission Against Corruption over a fundraising dinner for Chinese supporters.

More than 600 people attended the dinner at The Eight restaurant in Sydney’s Chinatown on March 13, 2015, two weeks before the NSW election.

Among those at the dinner were then state opposition leader Luke Foley, federal Labor leader Bill Shorten, federal MP Chris Bowen and state MPs Nick Lalich and Ron Hoenig.

Senior Labor sources have confirmed that Tuesday’s raid was in relation to the Chinese Friends of Labor fundraising dinner. The funds from the dinner went into the party’s campaign account for the state election, which the Liberals won.

The Herald understands ICAC investigators arrived at the Labor headquarters on Sussex Street on Tuesday morning looking for records as part of an ongoing investigation. The key link between wealthy Chinese donors and Labor politicians is upper house MP Ernest Wong.

In 2013, the then general secretary of the NSW branch of the party, Sam Dastyari, rewarded Mr Wong’s prodigious fundraising ability with an upper house seat.

Mr Wong, a former Burwood councillor, replaced former treasurer Eric Roozendaal, who left Parliament to work for businessman Huang Xiangmo’s Yuhu Group.

Mr Wong has close ties to the Chinese development company, which has donated millions of dollars to both sides of politics.

lol

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Lid posted:

The depressing thing is it was called paleo nonsense beef bone broth yadda yadda yadda

Essentially it was just a worse version of pho, and pho rules.

He was telling people to stare at the sun for ~health benefits~ just the other day... a comment was “yeah it’s really good just don’t do it during an eclipse”, no just don’t do it at all

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

norp posted:

I think this cut is actually a good thing, wasn't this the thing that was set up to look into the health effects from windfarms on local residents?

That was the intent, but it’s actual effect has been resolving issues between operators and communities without litigation, hence cutting it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Rich people are more likely to be antivaxxers though.
Yeah, it's not a function of economic anxiety.

SMH posted:

In [2018] NSW, six local areas had vaccination rates below 90 per cent for five-year-olds.

The eastern suburbs' northern contingent had the lowest rate of full-immunised five-year-olds in Sydney (88.39 per cent), followed by the North Sydney and Mosman area (88.98 per cent), Manly (89.15 per cent), Sydney Inner City (89.18 per cent). Eastern Suburbs (south) recorded 89.34 per cent.

The sixth area under 90 per cent - and the lowest coverage rate in NSW - was the northern NSW coastal area of Richmond Valley (86.09 per cent), that draws in the Northern Rivers region and Byron Bay.

Outside of Byron those are most of the richest areas of the state.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Is Byron not a rich area? It’s sure as gently caress expensive so I just assumed

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

say hello.jpg posted:

Has any one done a study on the rates of autism in anti Vax communities vs the national average?

Humm now that I think about it they would ignore the diagnosis and say they where an indego child or some other poo poo

No study has ever been able to replicate the findings of Andrew Wakefield, who lost his medical license for falsifying data about vaccines. The man's a loving fraud and a charlatan and if I had my way he'd be in prison for manslaughter.

The only strategy I've ever had that came close to success with an anti-vaxxer was telling her about how he was being paid by a company that made three separate vaccines in competition with the MMR. The real conspiracy wasn't covering up rates of autism, it's that scary Big Pharma wanted to change people three times for three separate vaccines instead of one.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Is Byron not a rich area? It’s sure as gently caress expensive so I just assumed

I hadn't realised how expensive it had got, wow.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I'm part of the 89.34% :smug:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

norp posted:

I think this cut is actually a good thing, wasn't this the thing that was set up to look into the health effects from windfarms on local residents?
Yeah, I think that was created to make Lionhat happy, so this is a good thing to cut. Has this commission done anything than waste tax money?

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Sorry, I've already done the thread's hot take on anti-vaxxers, get your own topic to get spicy on.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

bell jar posted:

I'm part of the 89.34% :smug:

wish we'd get a vaccine for your bloody posts

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I believe it’s the same in Victoria although not as crazy. I know there was measles cases popping up in Brunswick which doesn’t surprise me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Dandrews needs to release plague in Brunswick and kill off a generation of greens voters.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Port Phillip is one of or possibly the highest anti-vax LGA iirc, along with yeah Northcote and stuff.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

JBP posted:

Dandrews needs to release plague in Brunswick and kill off a generation of greens voters.

Taking this as sincere against my better judgement. Kids have no choice in it. It's a painful death/life because their parents are fuckheads. Killing the boomers on the other hand....

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

G-Spot Run posted:

Taking this as sincere against my better judgement. Kids have no choice in it. It's a painful death/life because their parents are fuckheads. Killing the boomers on the other hand....

Kids can definitely choose to vote for the greens or not vote for the greens.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Called up Centrelink because they messed up my rent assistance, and while I was on the line I asked the guy what the hold music was called because they recently changed it to something non-poo poo. He didn't know but a few minutes after ending the call he rang me back because he found some of the track names. Now that's service.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

JBP posted:

Kids can definitely choose to vote for the greens or not vote for the greens.

:what: your dumb jokes are dumber than you think they are

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

GotLag posted:

Called up Centrelink because they messed up my rent assistance, and while I was on the line I asked the guy what the hold music was called because they recently changed it to something non-poo poo. He didn't know but a few minutes after ending the call he rang me back because he found some of the track names. Now that's service.

That's the polar opposite of service because while they were chasing something that doesn't matter in the slightest, they could've been helping someone else waiting.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Knobb Manwich posted:

That's the polar opposite of service because while they were chasing something that doesn't matter in the slightest, they could've been helping someone else waiting.
:agreed:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

AgentF posted:

:what: your dumb jokes are dumber than you think they are

The dumbest joke is the concentration of anti-vax and crystal yoni proponents in green seats.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

JBP posted:

Hey pal, take off back to your western suburbs shithole. We don’t need that type of talk in here.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

GotLag posted:

Still wanted to say that's hilarious.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I was just reading about the Byron mums, seems like they're going to start their own child care regime. What happens when all the kids that attend die of whooping cough like the pro-vax Byron mum who realises what a mistake she made? There should be charges.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

When Yellow Peril and Red Scare combine, do we call it Orange Outrage?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

I was just reading about the Byron mums, seems like they're going to start their own child care regime. What happens when all the kids that attend die of whooping cough like the pro-vax Byron mum who realises what a mistake she made? There should be charges.

If I've learned anything about people who have bad things happen to them as a result of their decisions, they tend to double down and embrace those positions harder, and these mums will martyr themselves and their children in the name of stubbornness

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The Unvaccinated Child & Raw Milk Co.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I just want raw milk that tastes like real raw milk.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
greens voting yoni egg

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

GotLag posted:

Just put it on speakerphone and use Shazam, I found the name of the ATO hold track when someone in the office left it on speaker.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
I'm not seeing my pdoc until the new year and I need to check with her if I can donate blood, last time I tried checking with the service directly they didn't know what half my medications were and they're all different now so they'll probably just err on the side of caution and say 'yeah ask your doctor'. Even if the doctor just says yes because for the love of god please donate blood we need it.

That 7:30 piece made me laugh, especially when they had a mother talking about how she felt 'alienated from society' and was talking about this massive persecution she was facing as if she herself had no hand in it and couldn't in fact choose to remedy it by vaccinating her loving kids. Really need more stories on the reality of these diseases, they had the brief mention of the baby dying of whooping cough but so many of these people have no concept of the potential consequences of contracting one of these diseases because nobody gets them because we loving vaccinate against them.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I have a 6 day old daughter and we told all our friends and family a month and a bit ago if they don’t have whooping cough vaccinated then they can wait until after she’s vaccinated to see her. My father in law almost said no until he realised we were serious and he wouldn’t be able to meet his first grandchild for ages if he didn’t do it.

He’s a smart guy too, like worked as a chemical engineer for Decades. Just an old stupid boomer.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

teacup posted:

I have a 6 day old daughter and we told all our friends and family a month and a bit ago if they don’t have whooping cough vaccinated then they can wait until after she’s vaccinated to see her. My father in law almost said no until he realised we were serious and he wouldn’t be able to meet his first grandchild for ages if he didn’t do it.

He’s a smart guy too, like worked as a chemical engineer for Decades. Just an old stupid boomer.

Congrats on the kid. :D

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

When are they going to kill this guy in Geraldton and take his house?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
BUCKLE UP
https://www.welcometocountry.org/qu...g2u36xff7sYD2tI

quote:

Explosive claims by former Queensland Health minister have revealed that former Queensland premier, Joh Bjelke-Petersen had hopes for AIDS to wipe out entire Indigenous communities.
The claims came from another former Queensland premier, Mike Ahern, who was minister for health when Bjelke-Petersen allegedly made the comments. According to Ahern in a recent interview with The Courier Mail, he had to go behind Bjelke-Petersen’s back to begin preventative measures to avoid catastrophic results.

Ahern was made aware of the devastating potential that HIV-AIDS could have on entire communities in Queensland by health experts and after Ahern made Bjelke-Petersen aware of this, The premier allegedly became hostile towards any suggestion of rolling out preventative measures. Ahern claimed that Bjelke-Petersen felt Indigenous should be left alone and even suggested that it would be a punishment from god.

:thumbsup:

Anidav, I think this automatically drops QLD down a few places.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

WA man has his property seized because he refuses to pay $300,000 owing in rates

A long-running dispute in Western Australia has ended with a 'sovereign citizen' having his property seized and sold from under him.

Wayne Kenneth Glew, from Geraldton, owed his council $300,000 in rates, which he refused to pay because he believed local governments were unconstitutional.

Mr Glew is one of an informal movement of 'freemen' or 'sovereign citizens', who believed Australian legislative laws only applied if you consented to them.

City of Greater Geraldton mayor Shane Van Styn said Mr Glew's actions were an injustice to those doing the right thing by paying their yearly rates.

"[He has] some crazy misconception that the laws do not apply to him, and regrettably we have been forced to take action to seize his property to cover costs that rightfully belong to the ratepayers of Greater Geraldton," Mr Van Styn said.

Mr Glew, a former police officer, has appealed a court order from the council to remove his possessions from the property.

It is not the first time he has taken his fight to the court of appeal.

In 2014 he was declared a "vexatious litigant" by the Supreme Court of WA, with his position being described as "nonsensical and incoherent".

Are local governments unlawful?

Mr Glew claimed the City of Greater Geraldton could not lawfully make constituents pay rates, because local governments were not written in Australia's constitution.

Constitutional law expert Professor Anne Twomey said the council's actions were legal.

"The State of WA has the power to enact legislation that sets up a system of local government, which includes the City of Greater Geraldton and other places," she said.

Mr Glew said the city could not seize his land because he claimed it under Magna Carta.

"It is not getting sold because I have it held under clause 61 of Magna Carta," he said.

"They cannot touch it, they fenced it — I threw the gates away, they put concrete blocks there — I threw them away, I blocked it.

"I own it and I paid for it."

Magna Carta was originally issued by King John of England in 1215 as a solution to a political crisis.

Since then it has been the foundation of constitutional and parliamentary government for Britain and Commonwealth countries.

Professor Twomey said Magna Carta was an important historic statute but had little relevance in today's society.

"You have got to understand that under British law, their constitution is the system of parliamentary sovereignty and that means parliament itself can always change its own laws," she said.

"There is very little left of Magna Carta in the United Kingdom because many later laws have overridden and changed it from time to time.

"The same issue arises in Australia — Magna Carta became part of Australian law as a received British law … it would have been a much cut-down version of Magna Carta.

"Only the little dribs and drabs that were left, and even those dribs and drabs they are not entrenched as part of our law they are just part of ordinary statute that can be changed by later statute."
Battling the system

Mr Glew is just one of many who have taken a direct stance against paying rates or taxes.

In 1970, Midwest farmer Leonard Casely declared his land the Principality of Hutt River and claimed to be a sovereign state after a stoush with the State Government over wheat production quotas.

The so-called micronation was not legally recognised by the Australian Government and in 2017 the Supreme Court of WA ordered the family pay more than $3 million in taxes owed.
Council says rates needed to run city

Mr Van Styn said seizing Mr Glew's property was a last resort.

"Everyone is required to pay the costs of living in a community," he said.

"We do not have roads and civic services out of nowhere.

"We require rates to run a city that functions with all the services that everyone needs from day to day.

"If people think they are above contributing to that under lawful direction from the state then regrettably we must take such severe action."

Abusing the system

Professor Twomey said despite what people believed, the law would prevail.

"If you notice, all of these people [who] object to paying taxes or rates and everything else say that the laws are invalid," she said.

"The curious thing is I have never heard any single one of them ever complain that the law is invalid if it gives them unemployment benefits or if it gives them any advantage. :owned:

"Nor do you ever see them refusing to use a hospital or a school or a road because it has been paid for by other people under invalid taxes or rates.

"People tend to just want to take the benefits and not want to pay or contribute."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-19/geraldton-city-seizes-wayne-glew-land-for-non-payment-of-rates/10619944

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Don Dongington posted:

BUCKLE UP
https://www.welcometocountry.org/qu...g2u36xff7sYD2tI

:thumbsup:

Anidav, I think this automatically drops QLD down a few places.

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

JBP posted:

When are they going to kill this guy in Geraldton and take his house?
The real question is how long until he becomes a PHON senator and then has a public dummy spit with Pauline and quits the party in rage.