Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Premium Samsung Galaxy S10 expected to feature 12GB of RAM and 5G: report

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/12/18/premium-samsung-galaxy-feature-12gb-ram-report/

Can't wait for this to still perform slower/laggier than the Pixel 3 despite having 3x as much RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

CLAM DOWN posted:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/12/18/premium-samsung-galaxy-feature-12gb-ram-report/

Can't wait for this to still perform slower/laggier than the Pixel 3 despite having 3x as much RAM.

Samsung please stop using all the RAM I beg of you, I just want a few more gigs for my PC 😭

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
5G is so stupid. It's going to be a hilarious disaster.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CLAM DOWN posted:

You forgot the likely $1500 price tag.

No joke, 5G is looking like a $300-$400 price premium on hardware across the board.

Skip 5g next year and likely the year after that

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

FistEnergy posted:

5G is so stupid. It's going to be a hilarious disaster.

Can you give a rundown for those of us out of the loop?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What can you do on a 5G S10 that your can't do on 4G S9 that's worth a $300-$400 device hardware premium?

I mean, poo poo. I already routinely get faster data speeds on my phone than I do with my FiOS connection at home. If 100mbps is enough to serve my household, why do I need more on my phone?

5G will eventually save carriers cost by making more efficient use of spectrum and they'll be sure to pass the inverse of that savings on to you with a nice 5g premium.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

bull3964 posted:

What can you do on a 5G S10 that your can't do on 4G S9 that's worth a $300-$400 device hardware premium?

I mean, poo poo. I already routinely get faster data speeds on my phone than I do with my FiOS connection at home. If 100mbps is enough to serve my household, why do I need more on my phone?

5G will eventually save carriers cost by making more efficient use of spectrum and they'll be sure to pass the inverse of that savings on to you with a nice 5g premium.

downloading a 1080 movie to watch on my cellphone before a flight in 15 seconds is going to be a pretty cool thing.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Yes burning through my entire month of data in 15 seconds sounds great, sign me up for a $1600 phone and higher cost plan

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
whats a data limit

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah I don't see the point of 5G while we have data caps like we do (in Canada).

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

last I heard it was mostly a buzzword but there was some discussion between two scrubs here, some of which involved cancer

also i work at the cell phone factory so lol everyone is idiots

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like that ISPs and phone carriers are bragging about these insane speeds while still pretending that there's a limited number of bits in the world, so they have to ration them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CLAM DOWN posted:

I could be wrong but I seemed to notice that market-specific models are being made for the China with extra memory? Like maybe it's a status symbol thing?

Also is 60ghz spectrum really going to be practical?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I've replaced my S8+ with a Note 9 and wireless charging is incredibly slow. Last night I had it on the pad for six or seven hours and it went from 10% to 85%. I'm using an older Samsung Fast Charge Stand which worked great with my S8+, and the Note is in a Spigen Neo Hybrid case which is exactly what I had on the old phone.

I've tried setting it both vertically and horizontally with the same results. Right now I'm testing it without the case but I'm very happy with that case so I still need to find a solution. What else should I try to troubleshoot this before I look at getting a new charge pad?

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Charles posted:

I could be wrong but I seemed to notice that market-specific models are being made for the China with extra memory? Like maybe it's a status symbol thing?

Probably, since the Lenovo 12GB SD855 Z5pro GT was announced today. I don't know why Samsung still bother to go arm race with the China phones, since their market share in China has dropped to 1% and dropping.

BTW that giant punch hole in the S10+ is really ugly.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/12/dont-buy-a-5g-smartphone-at-least-not-for-a-while/

Remember the first Android 4G phones that were terrible and got like 2 hours of battery life?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Charles posted:

I mean I'm not a telecommunications radio engineer but it sure would seem that building penetration would be an issue. One would have to assume that someone has thought of this and it won't be a problem but it sure goes against conventional wisdom.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

LastInLine posted:

I mean I'm not a telecommunications radio engineer but it sure would seem that building penetration would be an issue. One would have to assume that someone has thought of this and it won't be a problem but it sure goes against conventional wisdom.

Probably gets handled the same way 4G signal issues get solved: fall back to 2G/3G until you install a little repeater wherever you have enough complaints.

My concern about 5G is that it's going to chug battery because the tech is new and unoptimized, and probably on a separate chip instead of integrated into the SoC. It'll be like the early days of WiFi all over again.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

For the folks wondering about whether S7 to P3/P3XL is enough of an upgrade, I just upgraded from an S7 to a P3XL two weeks ago and it was a huge quality of life improvement. It's so nice just to open Maps and it not to freeze my phone for 15-30 seconds and scrolling is so smooth. Also the battery lasts all day. It's also refreshing to get home after a 12 hour day and be at 35% rather than having to charge my S7 every 5-6 hours.

I think the technical specs may not seem like a huge improvement, but my S7 had so much stupid uninstallable crapware and boneheaded Samsung UI junk loaded on there that slowed it down considerably.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Here is how to get around the whole 5G being a battery sucker thing: don't buy into the hype, buy whatever the equivalent Thunderbolt is going to be, and wait like a year.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Charles posted:

60GHz specifically is absorbed by O2 molecules, so it has a very short range. In home router environments, that basically means one room's worth of coverage per base station. The benefit is that you can repeat the same chunk of bandwidth a lot more often because the chance of interference is lower.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Dark One posted:

60GHz specifically is absorbed by O2 molecules, so it has a very short range. In home router environments, that basically means one room's worth of coverage per base station. The benefit is that you can repeat the same chunk of bandwidth a lot more often because the chance of interference is lower.

I didn't know this so I read up on it, it's actually really neat last mile solution.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

bull3964 posted:

You forgot the likely $1500 price tag.

No joke, 5G is looking like a $300-$400 price premium on hardware across the board.

Skip 5g next year and likely the year after that

But I need to hit my data cap 50% faster!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

mango sentinel posted:

But I need to hit my data cap 50% faster!

Not to worry! You won't be having that concern unless you live in one of the few blessed cities (Waco, really?) that are "getting" 5G soon, and even then it'll only be a motley patchwork of service. Millimeter-wave spectrum has long been avoided precisely because its physical characteristics make it a pain in the rear end to deal with. The number of nodes they're going to need to provide anything close to complete coverage of a city is enormous compared to 4G, let alone 3G. I would speculate that it'll easily be 5+ years before you can spend most of your time on 5G instead of 4G in many cities, and it will never come to a lot of rural areas at all--the coverage footprint is just too small.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Why not spend the time and money maximising 4G speeds and coverage as others have said? Seems like an awful lot of work for little benefit to few people to push 5G. If maximum 4G speeds were reached, you're getting diminishing returns from 5G surely?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Why not spend the time and money maximising 4G speeds and coverage as others have said? Seems like an awful lot of work for little benefit to few people to push 5G. If maximum 4G speeds were reached, you're getting diminishing returns from 5G surely?

Because 5 is one bigger.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I need 5G to quickly archive the pics my 10 cameras take.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

5G enables much more efficient use of available wireless spectrum than 4G is. If you maximize 4G speed and coverage, then there's still going to be slowdown on congested towers in crowded urban areas just because of the limited amount of available spectrum.

5G will let the wireless carriers service more devices more cheaply, and in the long run will let us scale up to way, way more things with wireless modems in a given area.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Spectrum congestion, mostly. There's very limited space in the 4G spectrum that isn't already owned by someone, so if you're a telecom and you want to expand, you're basically SOL. There's some further work they can do with 4G, but there are practical limits to what can be achieved: you can only pack so much data into the physical limits of a given frequency. The coverage thing is also a double edged sword: wide coverage means that you only have to install a few nodes to cover a wide space, but it also means that you're now covering a wider space with a fixed amount of bandwidth.

For example, say that (to pick arbitrary numbers), a 4G node covers 10sq miles at a capacity of 500mbps, and that in those 10sq miles there are 1000 phones. That means that if everyone is trying to use their phone at the same time, they'd each get 0.5mbps.

A 5G node might only cover 1sq mile at a capacity of 1000mbps, and in that 1sq mile are 100 phones. They'd they all get 10mbps--20x what they'd get under 4G.

Now, that's obviously a contrived scenario, since a large part of the telecom network only functions on the assumption that not everyone is using their poo poo at the same time, and so on, but you get the idea: more smaller nodes means more total bandwidth available to divvy out to users, since the bottleneck is the wireless transmission, not the back-end haul from the node to wherever it's going.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DrDork posted:

Not to worry! You won't be having that concern unless you live in one of the few blessed cities (Waco, really?) that are "getting" 5G soon, and even then it'll only be a motley patchwork of service. Millimeter-wave spectrum has long been avoided precisely because its physical characteristics make it a pain in the rear end to deal with. The number of nodes they're going to need to provide anything close to complete coverage of a city is enormous compared to 4G, let alone 3G. I would speculate that it'll easily be 5+ years before you can spend most of your time on 5G instead of 4G in many cities, and it will never come to a lot of rural areas at all--the coverage footprint is just too small.

Don't forget the coverage will promptly evaporate as soon as you move indoors.

5g is important and should be deployed. However, EVERYONE involved is looking at it as a growth center to satisfy shareholders and pricing accordingly.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

For so many reasons I doubt anyone will be using 5G in Canada for a very long time.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

We're very loving fortunate not to be bound to CDMA, using icicles as styluses on our phones

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

We're very loving fortunate not to be bound to CDMA, using icicles as styluses on our phones

Hilarious, but we do have modern cell tech, it's just anything faster is worthless because of our data caps :smith:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
You get data caps or coverage, in Canada. Pick one.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

Uh, what do you mean? Are you saying places with coverage don't have data caps? Wha?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Zigmidge posted:

So, I take the coverage and don't have data caps? :v:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hilarious, but we do have modern cell tech, it's just anything faster is worthless because of our data caps :smith:

Thanks for the 5G input ^

What's the story with the high expense of mobile data in Canada? I'm in God's country :britain: and in recent years the amount of data we can get without breaking the bank is pretty decent.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks for the 5G input ^

What's the story with the high expense of mobile data in Canada? I'm in God's country :britain: and in recent years the amount of data we can get without breaking the bank is pretty decent.

It's a combination of factors, from our monopolistic oligarchy of telecoms to an extremely large country with extremely low population density making building infrastructure much more expensive to build. GB has a population density of 272 people per sq km, Canada is <4.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
5G is going to enable self driving cars and a bunch of stuff talk to each other. It's also going to be a big battleground between Western and Eastern networking companies, for both profit and global influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Phone bill about 5G's flat.