Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Actually you just installed the games to your PC and didn't worry about discs, just arcane copy protection wheels and other awful bullshit. :eng101:

People complain about DRM now but nothing's worse than needing to leaf through the manual every single time you load the game. I remember my wheel for the DOS version of Zool 2, now that's a game that would be great on switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The TSR AD&D goldbox RPGs made you enter specific words from journal entries and if you failed (3x in a row?) the game closed.

You also got this prompt periodically when saving. Better hope you don't gently caress up your entry when saving after a tough fight. :suicide:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Guys, guys... What if it was in the shape of goatse?

Ey? Eyyyyyy?

Eyyyyyyyy?

It already is?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Feenix posted:

It already is?

Ha, I was actually about to update my post with that image.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I didn't realize until today that you could claim the Season Rewards in Diablo III at any point. You don't have to wait till the Season is over. (Left on d-pad > Y > X)

Now I've got a 6-piece class set and I'm OHKing rift guardians and it's hilarious.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

So uhh, I'm kind of hype. If they can pull off some of the crazy poo poo they do in the re movies but against huge dinos, how can it not be awesome?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I just got an email saying that the loot goblin amiibo I forgot I order in the beginning on November has shipped. I should probably buy Diablo 3 at some point.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

A Bag of Milk posted:

People complain about DRM now but nothing's worse than needing to leaf through the manual every single time you load the game. I remember my wheel for the DOS version of Zool 2, now that's a game that would be great on switch.

When I first bought Half-Life 2 I was excited to bring all five CDs home to install it on my brand new computer just to find myself waiting like eight hours for the game files to decrypt on lovely rural dialup.

At the time I would have killed for a booklet to turn to page 3 so I could type the fourth word, thus proving I owned the game.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Hammer Bro. posted:

If you like dungeon crawlers it's the pinnacle of the genre. The plot also becomes unexpectedly compelling, though you've got to stick with it.

And of course the music is fantastic, but that should surprise no one.

From a couple pages back but thanks for the info. Is the fan service in labrynth all over the place or is it more like EO were you can skip those character portraits?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Hello friends. I am getting a Switch for Christmas with Smash and I'll buy the other great games as time progresses along.

Main query is which controller/s should I get for Smash gaming with friends and stuff? I understand a pro controller is kind of a must and that the joycons aren't great for some things, but can I just get the cheaper wired controllers for multiplayer and have that work out fine?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

JBP posted:

Hello friends. I am getting a Switch for Christmas with Smash and I'll buy the other great games as time progresses along.

Main query is which controller/s should I get for Smash gaming with friends and stuff? I understand a pro controller is kind of a must and that the joycons aren't great for some things, but can I just get the cheaper wired controllers for multiplayer and have that work out fine?

Have any old gamecube controllers lying around?

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 19, 2018

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I've read good things about the Hori wired controller. My local Target was selling it for $20. It won't be as good as the Pro, but...it is $20.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Bombadilillo posted:

Have any old gamecube controllers lying around?

Yes I do have one somewhere!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

JBP posted:

Yes I do have one somewhere!

Switch natively supports Mayflash GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U, PC USB and Switch, 4 Port https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RSXRLUE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_KgBgCb2CP3MMZ

You have cables running to the dock, but let's you round out smash instantly. (Smash supports up to 8 drat players) also great for Mario kart

Also yeah pro controller owns.

Finially. Some grips go a huge huge way to making individual joycons usable.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I think I totally locked my file in Gris. Unless I am a huge dummy, I’m stuck here and can’t get out. It auto saved right as I grabbed the star there. Is there anything I can do?

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin
So, my house got broken I to, and it appears they stole my switch. Would I be able to get my digital games back through the cloud?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

JBP posted:

8bitdo pro bluetooth controllers work great with the switch and cost the same as a cheap licensed wired controller

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I just played Smash for the first time and I....have no idea what I’m doing. I won some but don’t know how. I was playing spirit adventure mode. What do spirits do? Is there a quick primer somewhere?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

I just played Smash for the first time and I....have no idea what I’m doing. I won some but don’t know how. I was playing spirit adventure mode. What do spirits do? Is there a quick primer somewhere?

Try classic adventure in the blue menu. Theres training in there and in the media a how to play video

Spirits are stat adjustments in that adventure mode.

Classic mode will let you just fight guys in a ladder and learn how to play.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

this kind of dodges the question but: if you want to enjoy some smash times without worrying about spirits, check out 'classic mode' in the 'games and more' section from the main menu. it's very streamlined and is super super fun

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

I recommend liberal use of the Y button that auto-assigns spirits

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I recommend liberal use of the Y button that auto-assigns spirits

Ehhhhhhh, that trys to give you a disadvantage to level your spirit. Which with how insanely it throws food at you there no reason to manually level anything.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Bombadilillo posted:

Try classic adventure in the blue menu. Theres training in there and in the media a how to play video

Spirits are stat adjustments in that adventure mode.

Classic mode will let you just fight guys in a ladder and learn how to play.

Cool, thanks. I can unlock characters in that mode too?

In spirit adventure mode are spirits a passive buff or something you have to charge/activate?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Crass Casualty posted:

So, my house got broken I to, and it appears they stole my switch. Would I be able to get my digital games back through the cloud?

I’m sorry. That really sucks. You should be able to just log in to a new Switch and redownload everything.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

Cool, thanks. I can unlock characters in that mode too?

In spirit adventure mode are spirits a passive buff or something you have to charge/activate?

Yes. You unlock characters no matter what mode you play.

Adventure mode locks you to who you find IN adventure. If you just play smash or classic or anything ever 10 min I think of finishing a thing will have a challange show up.

For me that worked out to an classic adventure run, so pretty much every run gives you a new character. (You can do that mode coop too)

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 19, 2018

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Crass Casualty posted:

Call Nintendo.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Are games not tied to your account now? I thought being tied to hardware ended with 3ds malarkey

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Yes. You unlock characters no matter what mode you play.

Adventure mode locks you to who you find IN adventure. If you just play smash or classic or anything ever 10 min I think of finishing a thing will have a challange show up.

Worth noting that WoL also unlocks a random character every 10 minutes of play, assuming you exit the mode every 10 minutes. At least I think it's 10 minutes. Never tested it, but always had someone waiting for me when I stopped playing.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

So if I want to unlock Metal Gear characters, it’s luck of the draw? Or can I rush them?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

So if I want to unlock Metal Gear characters, it’s luck of the draw? Or can I rush them?

You can google where they are in world of light and b-line there (I think lower left dungeon) or yeah...luck.

And only snake is playable. But there are a bunch of spirits

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Are games not tied to your account now? I thought being tied to hardware ended with 3ds malarkey

I was under the impression they could at least unlink the stolen Switch if it gets connected to the internet so the thieves don't get to enjoy your games.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
One lesser discussed perk of unlocking through WoL is that you can re-challenge the fighters immediately and as many times as you want until you win. You can also use a bunch of overlevelled spirits if you want an advantage. While this doesn't do much for anyone with a bit of experience with these games, it could be nice for anyone that kinda sucks.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

HPanda posted:

One lesser discussed perk of unlocking through WoL is that you can re-challenge the fighters immediately and as many times as you want until you win. You can also use a bunch of overlevelled spirits if you want an advantage. While this doesn't do much for anyone with a bit of experience with these games, it could be nice for anyone that kinda sucks.

Yeah, unfortunately not all are available in there. And gently caress you if you like non marth swordsmans. None at all there.

I think it's trying to really force/encourage you to try a bunch of characters. Which upset me until I found out that drat, I like the way different types play in this game. Heavies are good. Projectiles are good. Swords always good.

Everything is good. And I like it.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 19, 2018

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Crass Casualty posted:

If it is anything like the 3ds, you can call Nintendo and they can walk you through a process soyou can re-download any digital games. Save files are gone. Not sure how that would work with Switch Online and cloud saves.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah, unfortunately not all are available in there. And gently caress you if you like non marth swordsmans. None at all there.

I think it's trying to really force/encourage you to try a bunch of characters. Which upset me until I found out that drat, I like the way different types play in this game. Heavies are good. Projectiles are good. Swords always good.

I'm fairly certain every fighter is available in that mode. Not to get too heavy into spoilers, but (Galeem fight spoilers) some of them are available in World of Darkness and after, so technically not everyone is in World of Light, but same game mode.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

If it is anything like the 3ds, you can call Nintendo and they can walk you through a process soyou can re-download any digital games. Save files are gone. Not sure how that would work with Switch Online and cloud saves.

You pull the saves from the cloud on the new switch once the game cart has been in once or the digital copy is installed. Didn't get mine stolen but had to catch up the GF's switch once we got it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

Try asking in the smash thread!

Bombadilillo posted:

Ehhhhhhh, that trys to give you a disadvantage to level your spirit. Which with how insanely it throws food at you there no reason to manually level anything.
that's not all, you get increased rewards for being under the target spirit level. Besides, it's no fun to just steamroll everything with an overleveled spirit

the auto-pick is actually really powerful, in addition to picking stuff that will give you the most rewards it will also pick the right spirit type (red, green, blue) and pick skills that will be useful for the fight. It even knows stuff that's not in the description, like it might give you "stats up after eating" if a spirit battle has a lot of food items dropping :eng101:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bombadilillo posted:

You clearly played about 15% of WOL before giving it the boot. I'll agree that it's definitely not the quickest way to unlock characters, but every single character is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I just got an email saying that the loot goblin amiibo I forgot I order in the beginning on November has shipped. I should probably buy Diablo 3 at some point.

I bought an Artorias Totaku (Sony's version of amiibo minus the NFC) in February and I guess I'm still waiting for it to come in? I should just go get my $10 back.