Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The hero from DQ1 or the hero from DQ11 feel like the only realistic possibilities

e: for smash dlc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
It will be Jessica as a Belmont echo.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

lets hang out posted:

The hero from DQ1 or the hero from DQ11 feel like the only realistic possibilities

e: for smash dlc
yeah it's this or maaaybe Erdrick himself

anyone else would be too specific

now Dragon Quest Brothers, lets get wild

Light Gun Man posted:

yo it just dawned on me that DQXI has a Mermaid who calls herself Shelly. https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/mermaid-shelly/5/

I was gonna let gooniversity slide as a coincidence but man i dunno now. did goons work on this localization?
buddy i got like fifteen other games with 'Goo" puns to show ya

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

As much as I want this I feel like Torneko would be both more recognizable and more interesting.
If we get a playable character rep that isn't just a Slime or something like that yeah it's definitely going to be from 3 or 4 because Japan loves those two from what I can tell and any Smash rep is gonna cater to the series' huge Japanese fanbase.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
it'd be torneko

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Rocket Slime. With Tank.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Light Gun Man posted:

Rocket Slime. With Tank.
The Shleimann is his Final Smash. Duh.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Weird to be thinking it would be anyone but Tsarevna yoy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's super weird to me that Fire Emblem is now way more popular in the US than Dragon Quest, though I think 11 has helped catch up

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Put Rex or Parry from DQ5 in Smash.

Call him Rex to stab Xenoblade Chronicles 2 fans in the back with too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Talking of DQ11, am I correct in focusing only on one weapon tree for each character? I'm going:

Hero: bigly swords
Erik: boomerang
Serena: lances
Veronica: staves
Sylvando: whips obviously

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

precision posted:

Talking of DQ11, am I correct in focusing only on one weapon tree for each character? I'm going:

If you are on normal I want to say there's basically no wrong way to build a character.

If you're doing hardmode stuff then some of those options might suck but the good news is respeccing can be done at any save point and is cheap as hell

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

precision posted:

For most of the game, one weapon and dipping into their unique trees works well. Various points of the game change this up, though. As was mentioned above, if you're on normal mode, it's nothing to worry about. On hard mode, I strongly advise making a beeline for Sylvando's Hustle Dance.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

precision posted:

I would say focusing on a weapon type and some of one of their personal tree is optimal with some caveats; Sylvando honestly shouldn’t have a single skill point invested in anything until he learns Hustle Dance (yes it really is that good) and Boomerangs don’t get a lot of +attack boosts so working towards dual wielding from the knives tree does more for their damage output.

But yeah it doesn’t matter a crap ton anyway since you can respec and that’s honestly optimal at some point since some weapons have wicked high power creep.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Bildrick for Smash, imo.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Can you still buy starter gear in act 2 or do the shops change completely? I'm getting ready to wrap things up in act 1 and I'm trying to figure out if I should scoop up various items for collection purposes or put it off until later.

Edit: Google gives a Gamefaqs post which says that they just add stuff to their old inventory, so it's time to go onwards!

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 14, 2018

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Light Gun Man posted:

yo it just dawned on me that DQXI has a Mermaid who calls herself Shelly. https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/mermaid-shelly/5/

I was gonna let gooniversity slide as a coincidence but man i dunno now. did goons work on this localization?

You're putting way too much thought in to both those things. The second one in particular given that 'goo' puns from slimes is not new in any way in DQ games.

And shells are one of the most common things associated with mermaids or their outfits.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man I really didn't expect 11 to be so easy. But it's easy in a way that is really enjoyable, it's just a chill game so far (just finished the tournament)

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The hard mode is quite a bit harder. IMO "super strong monsters" is the way to play for anyone that has already beaten a Dragon Quest before, it really brings out every system in the game. On my normal play through I tended to craft things rarely and only when it was a sufficiently big enough upgrade, with super strong monsters on every crafting item becomes a huge upgrade.

I'm also appreciating the overall design of the crafting system a lot more on a second play through, when I realized each half star represents a new crafting skill you're supposed to make full use of. It's a lot less random than I first thought and this time around I'm hitting +2 / +3 on my first try on every item.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've been crafting everything just because the minigame is so fun, hitting +2 usually and sometimes getting perf on the first try.

Reworking accessories is super good too

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

You're putting way too much thought in to both those things. The second one in particular given that 'goo' puns from slimes is not new in any way in DQ games.

And shells are one of the most common things associated with mermaids or their outfits.

you are probably right, just made me kinda :thunk:

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

precision posted:

I've been crafting everything just because the minigame is so fun, hitting +2 usually and sometimes getting perf on the first try.

Reworking accessories is super good too

I would spend hours on that mini forge, had I the materials to do so.

Man, Erik can really be potent. I'm near the end of Act 2, I believe. Divided him and did a Victimizer on a poisoned guy. All three got crits, and I did about 2400 in damage. Yowza.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Finished Act 3 on stronger monsters on my first full playthrough, what an excellent game. Some of the early boss difficulty was pretty high in my opinion but as the game opened up with a bigger variety of talents/builds/gear it became extremely fun to strategize every action in fights. I very rarely used extreme damage combos like channelanger/magic burst/elfin elixirs and cobra strike/divide/victimizer, prefering to play more defensively and reactive which generally worked fine.

I loved how weird the story got later on, especially in act3/post game or whatever you want to call it. I'm glad to see games like this are still being released with a triple a budget these days, although from what I've heard it did not sell very well in the west which is disappointing.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
I was kind of burning out on this during Act 2, slogging through going everywhere and meeting everyone a second time, then the chapters with Erik's sister and Veronica's death came along and really pulled the heartstrings... Hoping the rest of the game can keep it up. Really bummed Veronica's out though.

Is there a good site/tool for planning/speccing the skill trees in this game?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t really think there needs to be since respeccing at any point is a thing. Plus the skills are a lot better designed generally, so you don’t have the DQ8 situation where you spend points on Gigaslash and it’s Pretty loving Bad, since the Giga- skills scale off Strength now and most skills feel “worth” their MP cost.

Edit: But yeah, if you go in the Attributes menu you can see every skill a character can learn in their weapon/special and it’s effect, which can help. Respeccing is almost expected though, since the revised Act 2 skill trees are a thing, so stuff like Swords for Erik becomes way more appealing when Fatal Flash is a thing.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 17, 2018

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Serena with Spears was awesome until act3 late game when dual wielding wands was way better simply because of the battle starting effects that the wands get.

I never liked Jade though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Serena with Spears was awesome until act3 late game when dual wielding wands was way better simply because of the battle starting effects that the wands get.

I never liked Jade though.

I think Jade is awesome. I wasn't sure how to use her until I went into allure heavily and she never leaves my front line. Great damage every turn, 0mp charm and excellent group attacks. I basically replaced Sylvando with her permanently because as good as he is, his damage isn't very impressive and a revamp Jade is extremely impressive. Multithrust against a single target owns.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I basically played everyone to their roles as I assumed them and that worked well enough for me. Erik used knives, Veronica, Rab and Serena stuck with wands, Sylvando used knives too because there were damage bonuses to hitting people if they were asleep or poisoned or etc. By the time I got Jade, I'd been sticking with greatswords on the hero and her attack power was like 10 points shy or beyond the Hero's and that was just with the default weapon, not even an upgraded one!

Never really did use Re-Vamp though. Also I really liked the first outfit you had before they shove you in the purple one. Took me till beating the final boss before I found out that it was a costume. :v:

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

I found jade very useful until late game, really feels like her damage fell off a cliff and she wasn't tanky enough or had enough utility.

She was pretty much always in my party for trash, pink tornado w/ the ribbon accessory that restores MP every turn was great AOE damage. BTW multifeet basically felt like a better multithrust if you're using spears and want non-ele damage. With fist weapons hardclaw hit very hard as well, but I never really felt using claws was worth the trade off of losing the raw damage/parry chance spears gave.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well 25 hours in and I finally got to a part that isn't great. Phnom Nuh's "quest" being to literally just run back and forth three times in a row is pretty weak, DQ11

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Slider posted:

I found jade very useful until late game, really feels like her damage fell off a cliff and she wasn't tanky enough or had enough utility.

She was pretty much always in my party for trash, pink tornado w/ the ribbon accessory that restores MP every turn was great AOE damage. BTW multifeet basically felt like a better multithrust if you're using spears and want non-ele damage. With fist weapons hardclaw hit very hard as well, but I never really felt using claws was worth the trade off of losing the raw damage/parry chance spears gave.

I just switched her up to use more fisticuffs than spear tree and I like it, but I feel like multifeet damage is pretty poor for the 2mp saving versus multithrust.

e: the description reckons multifeet on a single target does more damage, but I don't think that accounts for bonuses to attack power with spears? It definitely seems like the total output for multithrust is higher than multifeet when I've tried them out.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 19, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

JBP posted:

I just switched her up to use more fisticuffs than spear tree and I like it, but I feel like multifeet damage is pretty poor for the 2mp saving versus multithrust.

e: the description reckons multifeet on a single target does more damage, but I don't think that accounts for bonuses to attack power with spears? It definitely seems like the total output for multithrust is higher than multifeet when I've tried them out.

She can hold a spear and still use multifeet which is what I ended up doing. She usually ruined bosses pretty well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Shugojin posted:

She can hold a spear and still use multifeet which is what I ended up doing. She usually ruined bosses pretty well.

Yeah I mean that when I ran both (as a bit of a test) I was getting more joy from multithrust. The only thing that stops her from being number one boss killer is that Erik and Sylvando can team up to drop reliable poison and duplicated victimiser, even though I think that you probably do more damage over the course of a battle with Jade's more reliable revamp then whatever ability you think will be most effective.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The damage calculations being subtractive in the Dragon Quest series means that your attack stat and the target's defense stat play a significant role in how much damage you do with multi hitting attacks which can easily lead to something with a higher overall multiplier doing less damage in the end.

It's also why Oomph and Sap are so strong with those very same attacks.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

JBP posted:

Yeah I mean that when I ran both (as a bit of a test) I was getting more joy from multithrust. The only thing that stops her from being number one boss killer is that Erik and Sylvando can team up to drop reliable poison and duplicated victimiser, even though I think that you probably do more damage over the course of a battle with Jade's more reliable revamp then whatever ability you think will be most effective.

Multithrust is 4 hits at 0.75x attack damage.
Multifeet is 7 hits at 0.5x attack damage.

Both run off the attack stat and take weapon bonuses into account. Since Multifeet's per hit damage it lower, it's going to be more affected by defense, so which one is stronger is likely to depend on whether or not Sap is up (but in a boss fight, if Sap isn't up, why the hell not? Sap resistance is so ungodly rare in this game).

But yeah, endgame the boss killer is absolutely Erik.

The n00b Avenger
Dec 21, 2014
That isn't how defense works in this game. The multiplier on skills is applied to the damage you do after defense calculations.

4 hits of .75 and 1 hit of 3.0 are for most intents and purposes, totally identical aside from things like having 4 chances to critical at .75 damage versus having 1 chance to critical at 3x damage(which statistically are basically equal too but in practice you probably want the more chances to crit)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm firmly in the more hits = more crits camp

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I long for the day that my hero crits an unbridled blade while oomphled on a sapped enemy. One day...

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

JBP posted:

I long for the day that my hero crits an unbridled blade while oomphled on a sapped enemy. One day...

Unbridled can't crit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Unbridled can't crit.

Ah well gently caress you then game I'll just take the big boring numbers :(