Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
How can you go lower than last place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

drunkill posted:

How can you go lower than last place?

Queensland is a DNF

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wait, he was a cop? Don't you have to swear to the follow the law when you become a cop, therefore invalidating his "sovereign citizen" bullshit?

Old Sir Joh would run Fred Hallows out of QLD because Fred would go to Aboriginal communities and fix their sight, which Joh would fear the Aborigines would then vote against him.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sorry, this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. You could drop in any other group Joh hated and it would be the same. If you were downtrodden or progressive he'd have happily shot you himself. He really really hated land rights because they interfered with his mining mates desire to strip-mine half the state.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
oh it doesn't surprise me at all either; it's still hosed.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

teacup posted:

He’s a smart guy too, like worked as a chemical engineer for Decades. Just an old stupid boomer.

found your problem here

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

TheMightyHandful posted:

found your problem here

Excuse me, as an engineer, I must completely agree

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
ASMR this pls

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

snoremac posted:

ASMR this pls

reading this out in increasingly desperate tones while classical music plays in the background

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Don Dongington posted:

BUCKLE UP
https://www.welcometocountry.org/qu...g2u36xff7sYD2tI

:thumbsup:

Anidav, I think this automatically drops QLD down a few places.

That url is amazingly misleading

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

simmyb posted:

Excuse me, as an engineer, I must completely agree

:same:

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

I thought that sir joh stuff was well known already cause my family were openly discussing it going on when we lived there in the 80s.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

"They cannot touch it, they fenced it — I threw the gates away, they put concrete blocks there — I threw them away, I blocked it.

Government uses Admiralty rocks, you got to replace them with your own

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Oh thanks for the not form letter Ross

Ross Vasta MP posted:

Hi iajanus

Thanks for your email outlining your concerns about the Assistance and Access Bill.

I appreciate your views but I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the Bill. The increasing use of encryption to conceal communications has significantly degraded law enforcement and intelligence agencies' ability to collect intelligence, conduct investigations and detect intrusions into Australian networks.

Put simply, Encryption has significantly degraded law enforcement and intelligence agencies' ability to lawfully collect intelligence and conduct investigations.

95% of ASIO's most dangerous counter-terrorism targets actively use encrypted messages to conceal their communications. Over 90% of data being lawfully intercepted by the AFP now use some form of encryption.

The AFP Reports that the July 2017 plans to blow up an Etihad flight from Sydney to Abu Dhabi remained undetected for over four months due to the use of encrypted messaging application Telegram.

The Assistance and Access Bill is a necessary and proportionate response to these challenges. The Bill establishes a framework for agencies to seek assistance from relevant industry stakeholders in support of law enforcement and national security investigations and operations. It does not expand the surveillance powers of agencies.

The reforms ensure agencies can obtain legitimate and necessary assistance from communications providers when it is reasonable, proportionate, practicable and technically feasible to do so. Agencies will be empowered to seek assistance from offshore providers supplying communications services and devices in Australia.

I hope this puts at ease some of your data security concerns, a name that is definitely not mine. Thanks again for writing to me. If there's anything I can assist you with in the future, please get in touch.

Cheers
Ross

P.S-Your views are important to me and can help shape the community we live in.

iajanus fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 19, 2018

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
E: I get it :downs:

ewe2 posted:

Sorry, this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. You could drop in any other group Joh hated and it would be the same. If you were downtrodden or progressive he'd have happily shot you himself. He really really hated land rights because they interfered with his mining mates desire to strip-mine half the state.

Was it Hancock who wanted to put sterilization chemicals in indigenous community's water supplies?

Hollandia fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 19, 2018

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Hollandia posted:

^ might need some more redaction there **** ^

Was it Hancock who wanted to put sterilization chemicals in indigenous community's water supplies?

I thought the joke was iajanus is not named *****

bell jar fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 19, 2018

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Hi iajanus

Thanks for your email outlining your concerns about the Assistance and Access Bill.

I appreciate your views but I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the Bill. The increasing use of whispering to conceal communications has significantly degraded law enforcement and intelligence agencies' ability to collect intelligence, conduct investigations and detect intrusions into Australian conversations.

Put simply, whispering has significantly degraded law enforcement and intelligence agencies' ability to lawfully collect intelligence and conduct investigations.

95% of ASIO's most dangerous counter-terrorism targets actively use whispered messages to conceal their communications. Over 90% of data being lawfully intercepted by the AFP now use some form of whisper.

The AFP Reports that the July 2017 plans to blow up an Etihad flight from Sydney to Abu Dhabi remained undetected for over four months due to the use of whispered conversations in public areas.

The Assistance and Access Bill is a necessary and proportionate response to these challenges. The Bill establishes a framework for agencies to force everyone to wear a microphone at all times. It does not expand the surveillance powers of agencies.

The reforms ensure agencies can obtain legitimate and necessary assistance from communications providers when it is reasonable, proportionate, practicable and technically feasible to do so. Agencies will be empowered to seek assistance from offshore providers supplying communications services and devices in Australia.

I hope this puts at ease some of your data security concerns, a name that is definitely not mine. Thanks again for writing to me. If there's anything I can assist you with in the future, please just whisper, we'll hear it.

Cheers
Ross

P.S-Your views are important to me and can help shape the community we live in.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Stupid phone

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

iajanus posted:

Stupid phone

Shh, phone'll hear you.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The only surprising thing about the Joh story is that one of his ministers has gone on record about it

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

hooman posted:

Shh, phone'll hear you.

It's always listening

Judging

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hollandia posted:

Yes I think so.

Also I totally trust the honorable member for one sketchy example of why backdoors will protect Australia because the AFP are good sorts who don't desire greater power or suck up to US/UK interests.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'll vote for whichever party gives me a percentage rebate on ticket to the stupid Harry Potter play what the fuckkkk

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

AUSPOL DEC-APR: I could go on but I am in despair

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&threadid=3876000

quote:

The New South Wales Coalition Government has labelled its federal colleagues as "out of touch" on energy and climate policies.

Ahead of a Council of Australian Governments (COAG) meeting of state and federal energy ministers in Adelaide today, the state's Energy Minister Don Harwin said he would be pushing for rules to force power companies to reduce their carbon emissions, a move he labelled a "circuit-breaker".
"Today we're putting emissions reduction back on the table where it should be," Mr Harwin said outside the meeting.
"I'm going to argue for work to start on the drafting of an emissions obligation to complement the reliability obligation that we're working on today.

Ahead of the COAG meeting, Federal Energy Minister Angus Taylor brushed aside the criticisms from his New South Wales Liberal counterpart.
"We are very, very focused on keeping prices down while we keep the lights on. We're confident that we can do that," Mr Taylor said.
"This COAG meeting is important in making sure we keep reliability in our electricity market."
The response was more strident from Federal Resources Minister Matt Canavan, who is also attending the COAG meeting.
"I'm not focused on what will happen in 2050, I'm focused on what will happen here and now," the Queensland senator said.
"I certainly don't intend on being in the Parliament in 2050.
"There are enough problems today, let's focus on those."
The federal Liberals are keen to lose NSW's election I guess

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/dec/19/bank-watchdog-lifts-restrictions-on-interest-only-loans-as-house-prices-fall

AHAHAHAHA OH GOD AHAHAHAHAHA

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah I saw this earlier today and was like :stare:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

:mad: man why did this happen after i bought my place, could have gotten a huge inner city mcmansion (and then died before the intrest only period expired).

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Ummmmmmm

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Apra are targetting individual ADI and have massively ramped up lending standards, so dont think this will immediately go crazy again, loan assessment for interest only loans has to be on P&I basis for the full term rather than IO for a period like it used to.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

TheMightyHandful posted:

Apra are targetting individual ADI and have massively ramped up lending standards, so dont think this will immediately go crazy again, loan assessment for interest only loans has to be on P&I basis for the full term rather than IO for a period like it used to.

Assessors always assess on the relative life of the P&I - ie, if you do 25/5 split, the assessor is supposed to assess on 25 principle loan term, not 30

Doesn't always happen, but then that's what credit governance is supposed to pick up and correct.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

tithin posted:

Assessors always assess on the relative life of the P&I - ie, if you do 25/5 split, the assessor is supposed to assess on 25 principle loan term, not 30

Doesn't always happen, but then that's what credit governance is supposed to pick up and correct.

There are/were a few cowboys going around playing pretty fast and loose with the rules... smaller ADIs and regional banks and particularly loans sourced by brokers. There's alot more rigor on use of mitigating factors now, which hasn't always been the case.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Finally, a solution to the Queenslander problem

https://twitter.com/abcbrisbane/status/1075114505120636928

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yeah, gonna wait a little bit longer before buying a place. This is getting ridiculous

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

bandaid.friend posted:

"I'm not focused on what will happen in 2050, I'm focused on what will happen here and now," the Queensland senator said.
"I certainly don't intend on being in the Parliament in 2050.
"There are enough problems today, let's focus on those."

Yeah, gently caress that far off future of 31 years from now.

And they wonder why they're losing young people.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

cant even focus on their next term, mr speaker

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Wasn’t the Joh stuff released in the papers ages ago? I distinctly remember reading about it. One of those articles they do every New Years when cabinet papers get declassified.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Lord Bude posted:

Wasn’t the Joh stuff released in the papers ages ago? I distinctly remember reading about it. One of those articles they do every New Years when cabinet papers get declassified.

That's usually Federal papers, not state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Durr who cares about the future I won't even be here - federal resources minister