Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

One of these days I'll reinstall Thief 3 and actually go beyond level 2. The performance of that game just seemed to die.

Playing Death of the Outsider, never played D2. For the shorter length of the game I really wish the upgrade system was pared back. There are 2 dozen upgrades in the shop and countless bone charms. You even unlock a crafting system when you beat the main goal of mission 3, of 5.
The Deus Ex games always get easy halfway through but the upgrades there felt meaningful and don't overwhelm in number. I think a game should have a sense of progression without showering you with "+3% damage against geezers" perks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Currently contacting Bethesda support because I can't even start up Typhon Hunter without an error code appearing when logging in. I desperately hate when games force you to register with 3rd party servers.

Also laughing at the idea of Prey being a niche game, and then Mooncrash being an even more niche game exclusively for fans of Prey, but had wanted a different experience all-together, and then Typhon Hunter being an even more niche game only given to people who buy Mooncrash.

I'm waiting on the next update in a few months that only 3 people will ever play.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Avasculous posted:

Thief 3 was mostly forgettable, but the haunted orphanage mission (The Cradle) stands out as one of the best and scariest levels in the genre.

Agreed!

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Basic Chunnel posted:

That's what they did?

Sorry I meant completely free, not requiring prior ownership of Prey or Mooncrash. I guess it just bums me out that niche multiplayer stuff like this typically dies out quick.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

dishwasherlove posted:

Sorry I meant completely free, not requiring prior ownership of Prey or Mooncrash. I guess it just bums me out that niche multiplayer stuff like this typically dies out quick.

How would they make any money then? Selling in-game hats?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Avasculous posted:

Thief 3 was mostly forgettable, but the haunted orphanage mission (The Cradle) stands out as one of the best and scariest levels in the genre.

I wasn't particularly impressed by the Cradle. The level that struck me was the rainy seaside mansion with the near-catatonic widow. It had a wonderful melancholy feel.

I liked what the devs were going for with Thief 3 as a way to progress the series - making it more of an immersive experience where there's a central city level with connecting missions and giving non-story mission robbery targets. With larger levels I think they would've accomplished it, too, but they were hamstrung by the limitations they were operating under.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Thief 4: Grief had the germ of a good idea, that being a large hub that you do side-jobs in between story missions. However the game was hampered by being developed for last-gen consoles which meant a ton of loading. Not to mention the ugly aesthetic, the small levels broken up by points of no-return, the try-hard edgey tone, the poor sound-design, the poo poo AI, the finicky reliance on contextual actions, the fact that they call the lead character "Garrett" instead of "Gerry". They came so late in the day that they ripped off Granny Rags and Slackjaw from Dishonored, a game whose cast wasn't terribly original in the first place.

I got the game for 2 euro and I still feel ripped off. Removed the game from Steam when I hit level 3.

At some point in the 8th gen we did get back the wide-open worlds with emergent gameplay that was promised at the start of early 2000's but cut back in games like Thief 3 and Deus Ex 2.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 19, 2018

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Wrr posted:

I bought a Transstar mug

Did it come with a Post-It note?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Did it come with a Post-It note?

Dunno hasn't shown up yet. I saw some mugs on redbubble (ugh) that had the postit note printed onto the mug but that looked dumb and ugly

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Thief 4: Grief had the germ of a good idea, that being a large hub that you do side-jobs in between story missions. However the game was hampered by being developed for last-gen consoles which meant a ton of loading. Not to mention the ugly aesthetic, the small levels broken up by points of no-return, [...]

Are you sure you aren't talking about Thief 3 here? :v:

Also, the large hub sucked rear end in Thief 3; it may be a good idea on paper but implementing it in a way that's actually fun is difficult.

quote:

the fact that they call the lead character "Garrett" instead of "Gerry"

The main character has always been named Garrett though? :confused:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The "Garrett" in Thief 4 was so completely different, in every way worse, from the previous Garrett that he might as well a brand-new character with a lame name.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Avasculous posted:

I thought it was okay but couldn't understand all the hype until I got to what I thought was the exit, and then heard the line,"Oh no.... the Cradle remembers you now" :gonk:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I was grumbling re: the lack of a practical game reset for Mooncrash, so I did something about it: Here's the barest possible game I could make. All characters except Claire unlocked, no neuromods bought, no chips acquired, no plans acquired beyond basic pistol + 9mm bullets + psychoscope (accidental pickup).

Whenever you want a clean game but don't want to go through the tutorial bit, drop the contents into \[User]\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey\SaveGames\ (or its equivalent in whatever your OS is).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Merry Christmas, here’s an alleged “bare state plus” Mooncrash save. So named because there were two more plans I accidentally picked up (skeletal repair kit and basic stun gun) and because on paper, it should have reached the final level of sim difficulty (faster threat rising, etc) but the lack of oxygen / addition of crater sandstorms doesn’t seem to be there on level 1. All personal missions unlocked, Vijay and Riley’s missions completed (the mandatory and simplest hurdles to progression, respectively).

I don’t know if I borked the save or if the overall difficulty of the sim tracks more than just how many objectives you’ve completed. But I hope you can make it to max difficulty with as close to a bare save as possible.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I didn't super care for Dishonored 2 but that level with the timepiece that lets you view and travel through time is loving amazing. I'd play a whole game with that mechanic. Prey is still unmatched for me as far as depth of gameplay mechanics and the world around you feeling so complete.

Also hoarding trash and recycling it all is so satisfying.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

I didn't super care for Dishonored 2 but that level with the timepiece that lets you view and travel through time is loving amazing. I'd play a whole game with that mechanic. Prey is still unmatched for me as far as depth of gameplay mechanics and the world around you feeling so complete.

Also hoarding trash and recycling it all is so satisfying.

"I have a grenade that cleans up everything and turns it into useful cubes!"

When they released the Prey suit for Fallout 4 I was sorely dissapointed they didn't also implement a recycler charge into it because that whole game is made up of resources you can scrap.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
is there a way to play typhon hunter without broadcasting my mic slash listening to other people broadcasting their mics on PC

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Countblanc posted:

is there a way to play typhon hunter without broadcasting my mic slash listening to other people broadcasting their mics on PC

Turn off your mic in the operating system sound settings and no, respectively

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Neurosis posted:

I wasn't particularly impressed by the Cradle. The level that struck me was the rainy seaside mansion with the near-catatonic widow. It had a wonderful melancholy feel.

I liked what the devs were going for with Thief 3 as a way to progress the series - making it more of an immersive experience where there's a central city level with connecting missions and giving non-story mission robbery targets. With larger levels I think they would've accomplished it, too, but they were hamstrung by the limitations they were operating under.

Yeah, that seaside mansion was a heartbreaker. I wish the consequences for robbing her were greater than just a couple of thugs hunting you.

I really enjoyed Thief 3! I count it as a worthy sequel. The third person was option alone was a great advancement for a stealth game, it lets you tell how things are in space, which is important for sneaking around (think Tenchu or MGS). As disappointments go, Thief 4 is up there with Phantom Menace. They did everything wrong.

Here's a good article about the cradle from a PC gamer 2005. I don't want to oversell it but I printed it out and found it very fine toilet reading. An article, map, creator interview.
http://gillen.cream.org/thecradle.pdf

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just finished this game and really enjoyed it. I played with zero typhon neuromods and saved as many people as I could.

I also really liked the final reveal. I got a little scared when the little clip and a voice over went straight into the credits.

I liked when Alex sort of accusingly says "it probably doesn't thing anything it did matters" because it's got a kind of double meaning. It's a video game to me, so it doesn't matter. But the game kinda did judge me, right.

Overall I think the game had a seriously solid aesthetic. I liked the "what if JFK never died" idea that basically undergirded it. But it never felt over the top or gaudy.

At the end I was spending more time in my Xbox one loading screens than running from door to door, but I think that it was a good buildup of difficulty. I never felt invulnerable against the upgraded phantoms.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think a lot of people (myself included) avoided the Typhon neuromods since they heard somewhere on the internet it makes a difference, which is daft since it encourages cutting out literally all the cool toys for an ending/cheevo.

I hate to say, if you where still feeling threatened in lategame, you must have really skipped out of a few of the stronger human options. Like the combat-time-slow thingie? Literally trivializes every threat in the game. Morgan is hella OP even on max difficulty, which is another shame since earlier games such as SystemShock2 figured out how to make the difficulty setting matter.

Prey is still a great game tho! Just possibly missing much replay value to the main story.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Serephina posted:

I think a lot of people (myself included) avoided the Typhon neuromods since they heard somewhere on the internet it makes a difference, which is daft since it encourages cutting out literally all the cool toys for an ending/cheevo.

Other way around. The in-game dialogue made me not want to use typhon mods at first, then the internet convinced me to and save pure runs for later.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just didn't want the turrets to shoot at me. There were a lot less turrets than I expected.

And by invulnerable I mean you can't just run up to the nightmare or a technopath and start whacking it with your wrench. I liked that you could handle everything the game threw at you by the end because of your sheer breadth of resources, that you still had to apply in an intelligent manner.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
My no typhon run involved triggering combat focus 3 and then killing monsters by throwing furniture at them. Would recommend

Edit: phone posting :downs:

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 6, 2019

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that's some rum. I want some

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, I went non Typhon and still barely used combat focus. Most of the time I didn't need it and in tricky times I had more fun setting up the encounter beforehand to my advantage.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the only gameplay I disliked was when I tried using an army of fabricated turrets to do my bidding and murder the nightmare and assorted baddies.

Even fortified turrets set up in ambush positions and protected with GLUE barriers are pathetic in dmg output.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, I truly wish you could upgrade turrets properly if you decided to go non you know what

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Serephina posted:

I hate to say, if you where still feeling threatened in lategame, you must have really skipped out of a few of the stronger human options. Like the combat-time-slow thingie? Literally trivializes every threat in the game. Morgan is hella OP even on max difficulty, which is another shame since earlier games such as SystemShock2 figured out how to make the difficulty setting matter.

Prey is still a great game tho! Just possibly missing much replay value to the main story.

I really liked doing a typhon upgrades only playthrough since without poo poo like combat focus or even an upgraded inventory the game stayed harder for longer. Some of the typhon powers do still get quite strong later on though, but the early game is brutal.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I opened up the Typhon Hunter multiplayer game and wow it's like somebody's master's thesis project or something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dogstile posted:

Yeah, I truly wish you could upgrade turrets properly if you decided to go non you know what

Fortified turrets should've been nailed to the floor.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

My only run of Prey was human mod only. Never really touched combat focus but I didn't need it. I may as well have had instant death eyebeams with how strong my Q-Beam was. Q-Beam and disrupter are both good as hell. I never had a single problem fighting the infinite operators, they'd either get one shot or they'd be disabled by the first shot and helpless. I think in the end I ended up sprinting and jumping past everyone at intensely high speeds anyways so it was sorta a moot point anyways

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I wanted to chime in and say that I've been playing through Mooncrash and it is phenomenal. Like really- if you haven't played it yet, do it now. The description of it sounded weird to me, but it really just works well and is intensely fun and satisfying to figure out. It has all of the solving-mysteries aspects from the sidequests in the main game, but with a twist that you may only see one side of the story per run. The layered stories between the simulation and the 'real life' character's world are really cool too.

I do wonder about what kind of person would ever run low on points though. I didn't think it was possible until I watched a Let's Play, and the guy bought a full inventory of starter pistols and 9mm ammo after getting killed once.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

SHISHKABOB posted:

I opened up the Typhon Hunter multiplayer game and wow it's like somebody's master's thesis project or something.

This ... is a bad thing, right?

E: I mean, I guess you mean bad, as in not a professional grade product. The more time I spend with enterprise grade software I realise 'professional grade' doesn't mean much in terms of product quality or usability.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 8, 2019

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Teledahn posted:

E: I mean, I guess you mean bad, as in not a professional grade product. The more time I spend with enterprise grade software I realise 'professional grade' doesn't mean much in terms of product quality or usability.

Same but "military grade", except that translates to "bloated and borderline unusable half the time"

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Mooncrash was fun until the point where I realized I could build the time reset thingies. Lost all drive to play after that, was too easy

Is the PSVR thingie multiplayer only?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Teledahn posted:

It felt like one person made it, instead of an entire company of people. It felt like a demonstration rather than an actual game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

texting my ex posted:

Mooncrash was fun until the point where I realized I could build the time reset thingies. Lost all drive to play after that, was too easy

Sounds like you could use a Method
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814875&perpage=40&pagenumber=209#post490147991

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, I went non Typhon and still barely used combat focus. Most of the time I didn't need it and in tricky times I had more fun setting up the encounter beforehand to my advantage.

Same, and despite that I even had more fun on my no-typhon playthrough than on my no-human playthrough. High-jumping and sprinting may have played a big part in that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

are there indie or simply other roguelike titles similar to mooncrash? where you go through the same set of levels with multiple characters and character one can pave the way for subsequent characters?