Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It is widely theorized that RTD based the Absorbaloff on him as a reference to the most toxic part of Doctor Who fandom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Levine is also the one who publicly declared that Christopher Eccleston was "lower than a cockroach" for quitting after one season.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Also:

When the show was put on hiatus in '85, he put together a "charity" ala "We Are The World" featuring Who stars

Is the person in that infamous photo of a Who fan smashing their TV in response to the hiatus

Solicited funds to do an animated version of "Shada" with the caveat that it would only be for those who contributed, only to turn around and tried to give it to the BBC. The BBC said "no" so he went on one of his famous rants.

Criticized Big Finish for only doing audios and not animation.

If Who is made to his exact specifications, will declare "DOCTOR WHO IS DEAD!!!!!"

Likes to spell "gently caress", "Phuck"

In response to the announcement of the Whitaker casting, said he wished he had never given back any of the missing episodes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Seems like a real winner, thanks everyone!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

docbeard posted:

There are basically two moments in all of Doctor Who that fundamentally define who the Doctor is, for me. The first is the end of the third part of Caves of Androzani where Five very calmly explains to the man holding him at gunpoint in a crashing spaceship that no, threats of death don't matter much to him because he's dying anyway but he's still going to save his friend's life first.

The other is this one.

There's also "Hello, I'm the Doctor! Basically... run."

I'm pretty sure that scene alone catapulted Smith from "who the gently caress is this scrawny git?" to one of the best Doctors ever.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TinTower posted:

I'm pretty sure that scene alone catapulted Smith from "who the gently caress is this scrawny git?" to one of the best Doctors ever.

I prefer the moment afterward in the TARDIS, after he says "I'm definitely just a madman with a box," when he just does that little "Ha-ha!" and then starts slamming his hands on the levers and buttons.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TinTower posted:

That was the moment that made me dislike Moffat's showrunning and it never ended up winning me over

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

One of my favorite Who moments comes from the BF "The Eye of the Scorpion" ep 3. The pharaoh Erimem has be called to council, where she is accused of murder, and her legitimacy to her throne is called into question. She and Peri are overwhelmed with the evidence, and Erimem is on the verge of being stripped of her title and executed.

Then the Doctor walks in without a clue of what is happening.

And within two minutes, he clears her of the crime, finds the real killer, restores her claim to the throne, and proves that the would-be pharaoh is an imposter.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bicyclops posted:

I prefer the moment afterward in the TARDIS, after he says "I'm definitely just a madman with a box," when he just does that little "Ha-ha!" and then starts slamming his hands on the levers and buttons.

Yeah, me too.

He really did a great job, especially in that first season. His performance alone sucked me straight back into Who after going off it a bit in the latter RTD years

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

In spite of all this, I think the thing that most put me off him is when I was reading David Nowell's history of northern soul, where Ian Levine is quoted as saying that he hated Otis Redding's music.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

In spite of all this, I think the thing that most put me off him is when I was reading David Nowell's history of northern soul, where Ian Levine is quoted as saying that he hated Otis Redding's music.

One of my fav Levine stories from recent years was he was trying to buy a massive album collection, but didn't have the money. So he was asking people on line to go in half with him, and they'd get a portion of it. The kicker? He would decide who got what.

https://twitter.com/RealMattLucas/status/1075101473434939392

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

One of my fav Levine stories from recent years was he was trying to buy a massive album collection, but didn't have the money. So he was asking people on line to go in half with him, and they'd get a portion of it. The kicker? He would decide who got what.

Does Levine still have that massive comic collection? He once claimed to own a copy of every single DC Comics book ever printed.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Don't know.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Davros1 posted:

One of my favorite Who moments comes from the BF "The Eye of the Scorpion" ep 3. The pharaoh Erimem has be called to council, where she is accused of murder, and her legitimacy to her throne is called into question. She and Peri are overwhelmed with the evidence, and Erimem is on the verge of being stripped of her title and executed.

Then the Doctor walks in without a clue of what is happening.

And within two minutes, he clears her of the crime, finds the real killer, restores her claim to the throne, and proves that the would-be pharaoh is an imposter.

One of my favourites is in The Beast Below where he gives Amy a "We never get involved" speech then while she's responding you see him on the TARDIS monitors outside talking to the crying child. Theres something about that which makes me go "Yeah... This is Doctor Who." in the best possible way.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SiKboy posted:

One of my favourites is in The Beast Below where he gives Amy a "We never get involved" speech then while she's responding you see him on the TARDIS monitors outside talking to the crying child. Theres something about that which makes me go "Yeah... This is Doctor Who." in the best possible way.

The Beast Below is a pretty good episode, I think. I didn't remember it being, but on a rewatch, there are just a lot of things to like. Amy identifying the Doctor with the whale and making a choice that was more right than the one the Doctor would have made, and his arguing with her and admitting she was right pretty quickly, it's just a fun watch.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

docbeard posted:

There are basically two moments in all of Doctor Who that fundamentally define who the Doctor is, for me. The first is the end of the third part of Caves of Androzani where Five very calmly explains to the man holding him at gunpoint in a crashing spaceship that no, threats of death don't matter much to him because he's dying anyway but he's still going to save his friend's life first.

The other is this one.

Capaldi's "It's kind" speech definitely defines the Doctor's motivations for me perfectly.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Bicyclops posted:

The Beast Below is a pretty good episode, I think. I didn't remember it being, but on a rewatch, there are just a lot of things to like. Amy identifying the Doctor with the whale and making a choice that was more right than the one the Doctor would have made, and his arguing with her and admitting she was right pretty quickly, it's just a fun watch.

Moffat's basically disowned that episode, which is weird because... I mean... it's great. On a rewatch after Matt Smith's era concluded, a line I particularly liked was "[explains plan to do the least cruel thing he can think of to resolve the situation, which is still extremely cruel] and then I find a new name, because I won't be the Doctor any more."

I suppose two of my defining Doctor moments would be the fight with the Half-Face Man in Deep Breath and the big climactic speech of Death In Heaven: "I... am... an idiot!"

Also in Last Christmas when Clara is trapped in a dream and the Doctor tries to save her.

quote:

DOCTOR: None of this is real. What's real is there is an alien organism wrapped around your face, keeping you warm and happy while it eats you. You're dying.
CLARA: If this is a dream, how can you be here? How can we both be having the same dream?
DOCTOR: There was only one way to get to you.
CLARA: And what was that?
DOCTOR: I'm dying too.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Moffat's basically disowned that episode, which is weird because... I mean... it's great. On a rewatch after Matt Smith's era concluded, a line I particularly liked was "[explains plan to do the least cruel thing he can think of to resolve the situation, which is still extremely cruel] and then I find a new name, because I won't be the Doctor any more."

I suppose two of my defining Doctor moments would be the fight with the Half-Face Man in Deep Breath and the big climactic speech of Death In Heaven: "I... am... an idiot!"

Also in Last Christmas when Clara is trapped in a dream and the Doctor tries to save her.

Peter Capaldi was a very very good Doctor Who.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My forever dream is that Eccelston will come back someday in one format or another just to play The Doctor one more time

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Is there a reason aside from scheduling woes why we don't get multi-doctor stories outside of big anniversaries?

I just want to see how Twelve and Thirteen would interact with Ten and Eleven. Hell, throw Eight in there for good measure.

Seriously, though, while getting everybody would be impossible since they're all working actors, you'd think scheduling one for an episode a year in advance would be doable.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
There was a 10/11/12 comic awhile back (no 9, of course) - 12 was constantly calling out 10 for being a dick head, and 10 would get all shrieky and indignant, and 11 would sort of mediate between them whenever he could.

The story was absolute bobbins, but I think they got that part right.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t care when it happens, I just want another 8 appearance. You’ve got a perfectly good Doctor with a grand total of 1.5 tv appearances (does Night even count since it was a webisode?) and the actor is still youngish enough to run down corridors. 8/13 buddy special, let’s get it done already.

Now that I’m thinking about it, if you count Tom as the Curator, 5 in Time Crash, and 8 in NotD, then C. Baker and Sly are the only living classic Doctors who’ve yet to make an (non-archive) appearance in the revival.

So I’m really asking for a 6/7/8/13 buddy special.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 19, 2018

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'd love a 9/12 episode. Also one with 11, really because I just want to see Matt Smith again

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

LividLiquid posted:

Is there a reason aside from scheduling woes why we don't get multi-doctor stories outside of big anniversaries?

Probably so they stay special. If the BBC were to break out old Doctors every other year, what would make the anniversary specials a big deal? Then you get Silver Nemesis, a 25th anniversary present no one wanted.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I don't remember that part, was it before or after they were on the Mary Celeste? :confused:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'd love for a Nine return. We're weirdly in a place where it could almost sort of happen, because Eccleston has no issues with Chibnall and I think he would genuinely warm to some of the changes from the new season, plus he doesn't seem as buried with other work as he was for a few years, but also, Chibnall is really trying to break from the chains of continuity and make the show stand on its own two legs, whatever his faults may be, and bringing a previous Doctor back would really fly in the face of that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Episode five was

Weird

Like it's not bad

It's not. But it's like, it has about four character arcs that... Never get the kind of focus they probably need? But also none of them seem to have anything with enough weight to carry them?

And then there's the monster which really should have just been 'asteroid hosed up the ship, we're in trouble'. Not Nibbler is eating mechanical stuff. The plot of the episode is nothing, the character arcs are weird and kind of confused, the monster is worse than bad, but the Doctor gets some nice moments

Just

Weird

Like the most mundane game of madlibs ever

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Astroman posted:

I don't remember that part, was it before or after they were on the Mary Celeste? :confused:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also reading up on the thread, YEAH

What the gently caress episode 5 and your lovely adoption bullshit

I was watching the episode with a friend and had even remarked early on 'what's wrong with giving up the kid' before I got distracted and let that complaint be buried in my head because I kept expecting them to make a bad joke out of the whole affair

If it wasn't so unfocused because all of the rest of the meandering bullshit, I'd probably have actively hated that whole subplot WAY more

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

https://twitter.com/spankybackpack/status/1075188969166565377

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My defining doctor who moments are causetrouble.gif, swordfightsandwich.gif, and fez.gif

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CommonShore posted:

swordfightsandwich.gif

mere gifs cannot do this scene the justice it deserves

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

mere gifs cannot do this scene the justice it deserves

One thing Barry Letts wanted to do was draw on Pertwee's loooooooong experience as an all-round music hall veteran; the stage-fighting was part of that but I remember the info-text subtitles from the "Spearhead from Space" dvd mentioning that they were also keen for the Third Doctor to do conjuring tricks, sing and play the guitar, all of which Pertwee was apparently quite good at. It's too bad we never saw much of that!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I also love the chase episode from Planet of the Spiders.

I haven't watched it in a while, so I can't remember the exact sequences but I know it involves something like Bessie, a helicopter, a foot chase, the bad guy in the initial helicopter, a hovercraft, a new foot chase, a speed boat, and a different hovercraft. gently caress that whole episode is one of the most beautiful messes. I'm going to go watch it after work.

It's too bad that it didn't feature Delgado :rip:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing Barry Letts wanted to do was draw on Pertwee's loooooooong experience as an all-round music hall veteran; the stage-fighting was part of that but I remember the info-text subtitles from the "Spearhead from Space" dvd mentioning that they were also keen for the Third Doctor to do conjuring tricks, sing and play the guitar, all of which Pertwee was apparently quite good at. It's too bad we never saw much of that!

Also, The Doctor was Pertwee's first substantial dramatic role.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I haven't watched it in a while, so I can't remember the exact sequences but I know it involves something like Bessie, a helicopter, a foot chase, the bad guy in the initial helicopter, a hovercraft, a new foot chase, a speed boat, and a different hovercraft. gently caress that whole episode is one of the most beautiful messes. I'm going to go watch it after work.

It's too bad that it didn't feature Delgado :rip:

It's like the beginning of Temple of Doom.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/dwpageofficial/status/1075454116795744257

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember reading that because Pertwee’s background was in comedy, the people writing the first comics with his Doctor made them kinda silly and comedic, and were surprised when he played the role straight. (Though it made sense for him to do so relative to Troughton.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CommonShore posted:

I love that ridiculous episode so much, because it's obvious that Pertwee is finishing up on the show and the producers just wanted to keep him happy so gently caress it, give him a chase scene that lasts a literal entire episode. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So it's half an episode - Planet of the Spiders 2

Bad guy steals that silver hovercraft 3 has in late episodes

They go after him in Bessie

The doctor switches over to an open cockpit mini helicopter and they have a multi-vehicle chase where they keep trying but failing to cut him off

A fat buffonish cop in a subcompact joins in for basically no reason

They all stop and have a foot chase, while the fat cop is questioning them the bad guy steals the mini helicopter (and puts his helmet on before taking off)

3 jumps into his hovercraft with Sarah Jane and takes off for an aerial chase

Bad guy runs out of gas and lands and steals a speedboat after a foot chase

3 lands and commandeers a different hovercraft for a water chase

The doctor right on the bad guy's tail but loses him because he's doing sweet ramps up onto the bank with the hovercraft but he catches up again by using the amphibious qualities of the hovercraft to cut off a bend in a river and jump into the guy's boat, but the guy vanishes with ScIeNcE fIcTiOn, rendering the entire chase moot.

Pretty much the best TV ever produced.