Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Kalman posted:

Also TBH it might just have been a “gently caress you for defending these shitbags” at Jones’ counsel.

That shows a pretty immature view. I think our kid diddler defendants are scum of the earth but I don’t bust their lawyer’s balls over it. Alex Jones is only slightly behind kid diddler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ActusRhesus posted:

We have a private defense attorney we get along with who we know will put on the dog and pony show and bang the table when his client is around. But when it’s just us he chills out.

me irl

gotta make them feel they've got their moneys worth ie: their tax dollars didn't go to waste.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Hey. As long as they aren’t a douche outside the presence of the client I tend to just go “huh. Guess he’s worried about crazy client grieving him.” And let it go.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
:holymoley:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1075042156019113985

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol the followup is good too

quote:

9. On December 15, 2016, the parties appeared before Judge Valderrama for a presentment hearing on the motion to compel, described in paragraph 7, above, in case number 15 CH 12061, at which time Judge Valderrama granted Respondent’s request to file a written response to the motion to compel, set forth a date certain by which that response should be filed, and admonished Respondent for the statements he made, including the statements referenced in paragraphs 3 and 5, above, and his conduct during the November 10, 2016 deposition.

10. On December 22, 2016, Respondent filed Green’s response to American Freedom’s motion to compel in case number 15 CH 12061. In the response, Respondent set forth his position that the statements he made during the November 10, 2016 deposition were in reaction to KH’s "bullying and improper questions," and "general angry tone." In the response, Respondent also made the following statements:

a. "In fact, I would have apologized when the Court raised the issue of these comments on December 15, but the court, in its anger, refused to let this counsel speak and further made comments attempting to hold me to the statement made in the deposition."

b. "However, on December 15, 2015 [sic], Judge Valderamma [sic] flew into a rage of his own at this counsel for what was said in the deposition."

c. "While Judge Valderamma [sic] had made some favorable rulings to the plaintiff regarding other defendants in this case in the past, in light of recent events, and particularly the ‘robe rage incident’ of December 15, 2016, it is unclear to this counsel whether the client, who has a meritorious case and said nothing inappropriate at his deposition, will now suffer because of the anger this court holds against his counsel."

d. "In this case, the judge saw an angry situation develop in a deposition and reacted in anger. It is always preferable if a judge is able to put out fires rather than pour oil on the flames."

e. "On the other hand, such temper as was displayed by the Court calls into question the impartiality of the tribunal."

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

“Angry tone”

Well then.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

They sanctioned him again for that pleading.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Sanctions like you wouldn't believe.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Ooooh! Share!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Eminent Domain posted:

Sanctions like you wouldn't believe.

I assume this is a reference but actually I guess this is just the state ODC referring those charges to the disciplinary board.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I assume this is a reference but actually I guess this is just the state ODC referring those charges to the disciplinary board.

https://twitter.com/associatesmind/status/1075029519977902080

Should've followed up with "govern yourself accordingly" imo

disjoe fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 18, 2018

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Wow. Just... wow.

Someone tried to have me sanctioned once for “fraudulently certifying documents.” I signed a certification July 1. Didn’t realize Secretary was taking the day off. Then 4th of July happened. And a weekend in between. So postmark was not until like the 6th or so.

Demanded a hearing on it too.

Judge was like “wtf. Is it your position a lawyer needs to personally walk to the post office?”

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Law Megathread: Certify your own stupidity

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

EwokEntourage posted:

Law Megathread: Certify your own stupidity

lol...the current one is so good though.

disjoe posted:

https://twitter.com/associatesmind/status/1075029519977902080

Should've followed up with "govern yourself accordingly" imo

oh duh...he left out the "bitch"

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Time paradox episode of Better Call Saul where Jimmy hires Jessie Pinkman as an associate.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

Time paradox episode of Better Call Saul where Jimmy hires Jessie Pinkman as an associate.

I would watch the poo poo out of that.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Same, honestly.

Also yeah I did, my bad.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Just survived summary judgment in a case where my client's position is dogshit, primarily by confusing the judge so thoroughly that he just wanted me to go away and someone else to have to listen to my dumbass arguments

I've officially peaked as a lawyer

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Also the argument that got me past summary wasnt even in my response brief, it was some dumb poo poo I thought of in the hallway 5 minutes before the hearing

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Also opposing counsel's face was beet red after the hearing and I'm pretty sure his client was crying

I'm sorry for the triple post but I'm basically edging at this point

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The system (whereby attorneys enrich themselves on the suffering of others) works.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Soothing Vapors posted:

Also the argument that got me past summary wasnt even in my response brief, it was some dumb poo poo I thought of in the hallway 5 minutes before the hearing

I once won a summary judgment motion on an argument we literally only put in a footnote.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Tomorrow I have a summary judgment hearing against a guy whose lawyer withdrew after I filed the motion. IT WAS THAT HOT. He hasn’t filed an opposition or otherwise taken any action. Hopefully in the spirit of Christmas the judge will throw his dumb rear end out on the street and warm my black heart.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Also opposing counsel's face was beet red after the hearing and I'm pretty sure his client was crying

I'm sorry for the triple post but I'm basically edging at this point

Lol

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
This kind of makes me want to see a Phil/Vapors superlawgoon team-up.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

The system (whereby attorneys enrich themselves on the suffering of others) works.
amen

ulmont posted:

I once won a summary judgment motion on an argument we literally only put in a footnote.
the weirdest poo poo piques judges' interest man. they are unpredictable animals

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Tomorrow I have a summary judgment hearing against a guy whose lawyer withdrew after I filed the motion. IT WAS THAT HOT. He hasn’t filed an opposition or otherwise taken any action. Hopefully in the spirit of Christmas the judge will throw his dumb rear end out on the street and warm my black heart.
lol fuckin nice

Discendo Vox posted:

This kind of makes me want to see a Phil/Vapors superlawgoon team-up.

I'm pretty sure if we joined forces we could make opposing counsel kill themselves

I guess that makes us job creators?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm pretty sure if we joined forces we could make opposing counsel kill themselves

Gotta protect your profession

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Soothing Vapors posted:

Makes you mentors.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

ulmont posted:

Four corners of the document right? Counts.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
When I was working for a judge we decided a case on an issue/caselaw that hadn't been cited by either party, because both sides missed something fairly obvious. The attorney for the winning side was extremely impressed with our basic research, and speaks very highly of me. I feel no need to correct her.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ActusRhesus posted:

Wow. Just... wow.

Someone tried to have me sanctioned once for “fraudulently certifying documents.” I signed a certification July 1. Didn’t realize Secretary was taking the day off. Then 4th of July happened. And a weekend in between. So postmark was not until like the 6th or so.

Demanded a hearing on it too.

Judge was like “wtf. Is it your position a lawyer needs to personally walk to the post office?”

Out of curiosity, what was the point? I mean not the dog and pony bit, what argument of legal merit did the factual grounds support? Is there some sort of requirement where the certification date and the postmark date must be the same? Was that the idea?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

There was no point. The cerification is basically “on such and such date I mailed a copy of this to opposing counsel.” So if you sign it and don’t ever actually mail it yeah. Problem. But everyone who has heard about this little tantrum of hers just rolls their eyes. She’s known for this.

Ironically. Her main argument involved screeching about the practice book. Strict compliance Bc integrity of the legal profession. And demanding the court order in hand service.

“Your honor, I’ll leave it to the court’s discretion how to address the substance of this claim. However, I would note that if the court is considering a supervisory order, the practice book requires service to the address on the appearance absent mutual agreement. I can’t hand serve a PO Box.”

*judge suppresses snicker*

“Ok. One question. On what date did you submit this to your clerical staff for mailing?”

“The date on the certification page.”

“Ok. I’m ready to rule.”

Spoiler: no supervisory order was issued. And my clerk spies tell me 10 min later every judge was eyerolling about what a psycho OC is.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ActusRhesus posted:

There was no point. The cerification is basically “on such and such date I mailed a copy of this to opposing counsel.” So if you sign it and don’t ever actually mail it yeah. Problem. But everyone who has heard about this little tantrum of hers just rolls their eyes. She’s known for this.

Ironically. Her main argument involved screeching about the practice book. Strict compliance Bc integrity of the legal profession. And demanding the court order in hand service.

“Your honor, I’ll leave it to the court’s discretion how to address the substance of this claim. However, I would note that if the court is considering a supervisory order, the practice book requires service to the address on the appearance absent mutual agreement. I can’t hand serve a PO Box.”

*judge suppresses snicker*

“Ok. One question. On what date did you submit this to your clerical staff for mailing?”

“The date on the certification page.”

“Ok. I’m ready to rule.”

Spoiler: no supervisory order was issued. And my clerk spies tell me 10 min later every judge was eyerolling about what a psycho OC is.

Funny. Is this certification something similar to the mailing date for filing a response, for instance? It wouldn't matter either way, but over here we consider somthing "mailed" only once it's dated by the postal service, which means in terms of deadlines the postage stamp is what's used (well, it was, before e-filing now I guess all that's old-timey bullshit). In those cases we do in fact require the lawyer to personally walk to the postal office (or send a secretary). Just a fun fact, I don't think it's relevant to your issue which seems like a downright vexatious complaint.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Certificate of service is just a lawyer’s statement to the court and all parties that a document was sent on a particular date. Sometimes it’s enough to meet a legal requirement but usually deadlines require receipt, so faxes or certified mail are used, or email if permitted.

It’s found on pleadings filed with the court and discovery that isn’t filed. In the latter, for example, the date of the certificate starts the clock for a response. I.e certificate says I served it on December 19, then a response must be sent within 30 days. If your certificate of service is like two weeks before the postmark then you would have a hard time arguing for a motion to compel responses because the expectation is you actually get it in the mail on or close to the date on the certificate.

Some appellate pleadings require contemporaneous (same day) service and the certificate must actually be a sworn certificate by the lawyer. You better get it served if you say so under oath.

Many federal courts don’t require it on pleadings because they are electronically filed and served on everyone automatically with a formal time stamp notification from the court.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Many federal courts don’t require it on pleadings because they are electronically filed and served on everyone automatically with a formal time stamp notification from the court.

FRCP 5(d)(1)(B) was recently amended to drop the requirement of a certificate of service for anything filed with the court's electronic-filing system. Before that everyone used to include a certificate of service that said "I e-filed this":

quote:

CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE

I hereby certify that on the ____ day of ______, 20___, I electronically
filed the foregoing with the Clerk of Court using the CM/ECF system, which
will then send a notification of such filing (NEF) to all attorneys of record in this case.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ulmont posted:

FRCP 5(d)(1)(B) was recently amended to drop the requirement of a certificate of service for anything filed with the court's electronic-filing system. Before that everyone used to include a certificate of service that said "I e-filed this":

Right. It’s redundant. I think I filed my first non-certified pleading in federal court last month. (People are still certifying everything though because lawyers)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

tis the season to be jolly lol

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah. And general practice of that court is to accept “late” filings within reason if there’s no objection. So the way a normal human would have handled that:

“Hey. You signed it this date. But I just got it today. I need time for my response. Do you object?”

“Huh. Weird. Yeah no objection. . Let me know when you file.”

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

ActusRhesus posted:

Yeah. And general practice of that court is to accept “late” filings within reason if there’s no objection. So the way a normal human would have handled that:

“Hey. You signed it this date. But I just got it today. I need time for my response. Do you object?”

“Huh. Weird. Yeah no objection. . Let me know when you file.”

You mean "gently caress you, I'm zealously advocating over here" is bad?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Everything here is e-filed and I have a certificate of service to attach to everything that says it’s e-filed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Jamming people on deadlines is stupid (generally speaking--sometimes it's justified though in those cases it's usually not "jamming")

The funniest way I've seen it handled was a judge who responded to an argument that a memo was filed late or something by telling the lawyer, "I will offer you the same deal I offer everyone else who makes that argument. I'll hold your opponent to this deadline if you agree that the same standard will apply to you, any time you are late for anything in my court ever again."

She said she's never had a lawyer agree.