Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Joe Slowboat posted:

Oh, yeah I knew that, but it looks like Mr. Bun might be related specifically to the deity-thing that gave Hannah her powers in the first place? Just, given some of the below-comic text seems to imply that Mr. Bun collecting the artifact bits is weakening the walls between here and wherever the other thing is.

Ah, yeah, my bet there is that the stone bits are either direct pieces of, or representations of, the stone gateway thing that acted as the anchor for the deity-thing that gave Hannah her powers to begin with. My impression here is that he's gonna collect the pieces and somehow fuse them back together and bring the being back and attempt to make it take away Hannah's powers and bring everything back to the way it was in an attempt to "make things right", as he wants. I'm willing to bet money he sacrifices himself to do it, to. I'm slightly less willing to bet money that Hannah will somehow have become more powerful than the being and wreck its poo poo and therefore gently caress things up permanently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

tehehe

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Jeffery Jack's Questionable Content, comic #3896.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmfao so one of those aibots is called Roko.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Roko Basilisk.

AIs in this setting don't seem to fear stupid names; the last new one we met was called Beepatrice.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I have to say, as much as every character who remains onscreen long enough in this comic becomes a Manic Pixie Dream Girl, Roko Basilisk becoming defined by her bread fetish because JJ got woke about cops is, well, it's a lot.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rand Brittain posted:

Roko Basilisk.

AIs in this setting don't seem to fear stupid names; the last new one we met was called Beepatrice.

Jeph named the evil blackmailing AI running an underground robot fight club "Corpse Witch"

Wish I was named fuckin' Corpse Witch

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Joe Slowboat posted:

I have to say, as much as every character who remains onscreen long enough in this comic becomes a Manic Pixie Dream Girl, Roko Basilisk becoming defined by her bread fetish because JJ got woke about cops is, well, it's a lot.
Listen, a midlife crisis going hand in hand with sudden experimentation with new kinks is perfectly normal.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

I'm glad Dresden Codak is updating again.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
today in wilde life:

judging by his form oscar took his sweet time lining up that one lmao

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to be entirely fair to jeph im p sure his opinions on cops didnt really change a whole lot anytime recently

does makes the bread thing more concerning lmao

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Babs Yaga told Oscar to get a bat. He finally did.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Joe Slowboat posted:

Tollymain posted:

to be entirely fair to jeph im p sure his opinions on cops didnt really change a whole lot anytime recently

does makes the bread thing more concerning lmao

I'm curious what you mean by this.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
breadish

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I also don't know what bread has to do with cops.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Galvanik posted:

I also don't know what bread has to do with cops.

the toaster wants to gently caress breads

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cops are the replacement for bread and circuses

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
those 3 are going to gently caress because jeff's comic hasn't featured polyamory yet

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Recently, I have enjoyed The Neighbors, a webbed comic about sinister body-snatching aliens living in disguise on earth.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hogge Wild posted:

those 3 are going to gently caress because jeff's comic hasn't featured polyamory yet

good, i need that square to hit woke bingo

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Hogge Wild posted:

I thought that was what he was prepping up with robohand, autist barmaid, and big shy guy.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

What I mean is that JJ has a history of being kinda conventional and not super analytical about, in this case, cops, but in a more serious case the American forever war. Bubbles was a black ops death machine fighting tanks and helicopters in an ongoing American war overseas and very recently is the first time we've gotten any suggestion that maybe she wasn't fighting the good fight. Shortly after Roko started being depicted as a cop who is also sympathetic, he felt the need to de-cop her. It's part of what I see as the fundamental flaw in his writing, which is a total unwillingness to have long-term conflict that isn't will-they-won't-they.

Part of this is that a literal deus ex machine showed up to resolve the original Bubbles plot at the speed of sound and get us to the weak Rom com asap.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Joe Slowboat posted:

What I mean is that JJ has a history of being kinda conventional and not super analytical about, in this case, cops, but in a more serious case the American forever war. Bubbles was a black ops death machine fighting tanks and helicopters in an ongoing American war overseas and very recently is the first time we've gotten any suggestion that maybe she wasn't fighting the good fight. Shortly after Roko started being depicted as a cop who is also sympathetic, he felt the need to de-cop her. It's part of what I see as the fundamental flaw in his writing, which is a total unwillingness to have long-term conflict that isn't will-they-won't-they.

Part of this is that a literal deus ex machine showed up to resolve the original Bubbles plot at the speed of sound and get us to the weak Rom com asap.

I genuinely think on some level he's scared of his fans ever since that Marigold thing.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Dawgstar posted:

I genuinely think on some level he's scared of his fans ever since that Marigold thing.

yeah, and for a good reason, they're mental

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hogge Wild posted:

yeah, and for a good reason, they're mental

Oh, I don't mean to imply I blamed him. Somebody on here said somewhere that webcomic fans now only have two modes, either being groveling sycophancy or death threats. JJ has seen both.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, I don't mean to imply I blamed him. Somebody on here said somewhere that webcomic fans now only have two modes, either being groveling sycophancy or death threats. JJ has seen both.

true

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dawgstar posted:

What's the Marigold thing?

Also, someone explain QC to me, I never saw the appeal. It is just some dude darling his waifus?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What's the Marigold thing?

Somebody can probably clarify it better, but essentially Marigold was his 'unattractive geek girl' character and after much cajoling on the part of the cast she wore a bikini. And she looked... fine. I mean, not a model, but fine. To quote Jeff Winger of Community, people went all the way out of their entire drat minds about it because they thought she should look worse? I don't know, webcomic fans are the actual worst.

It drove him into depression, among other things.

quote:

Also, someone explain QC to me, I never saw the appeal. It is just some dude darling his waifus?

I think of it as a hipster version of Friends, but a webcomic and also there are characters who are AIs. It's pleasantly bland and filled with attractive people, also like Friends.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 20, 2018

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
his "fans" thought that she wasn't fat enough so he was whaled on and stabbed his hand

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hogge Wild posted:

his "fans" thought that she wasn't fat enough so he was whaled on and stabbed his hand

What

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah. That was 'among other things' when I said it drove him to depression. They just castigated the guy over this fictional girl's appearance.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Questionable Content is a heavily ideological comic. I don't mean that as a pejorative - it's actually a good thing for art to commit to what it stands for, and it's not like it's an evil ideology. But that means that there will be a subset of readers who interpret it in an extremely charged way. A difference of interpretation touched on a locally contentious issue, namely the representation of body sizes, and the artist, perhaps not fully realizing that was the story he was telling, was surprised to find himself at the center of the ensuing controversy, which is a difficult situation to endure under the best of circumstances.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It is bland and dull and not really saying anything and it still nets the artist around 10 grand a month

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. That was 'among other things' when I said it drove him to depression. They just castigated the guy over this fictional girl's appearance.

this hand stabbing, are we talking with a pen? A knife? was it a hesitation wound manageable with a bandaid, or a perforation with an exit wound?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ok, I think I'm seeing the picture now. On the one hand, I can kind of understand... It's a comic with a big female cast, and yet literally none of them are anything approaching fat. If the author actually wanted to represent some body diversity he'd bite the bullet and do it instead of half-assing it with a character that's super anxious about her body when she is slightly curvy at best.

On the other hand... QC fans should really know what to expect at this point. He's not going to get outside his comfort zone.

I looked at the comic in question and it's dumb, but CAD's thing with Lucas' girlfriend in a fat suit is like 50 times worse. But that's CAD so who gives a poo poo. I just wonder why comics like QC and CAD (and loving Megatokyo, good god) are still going in an age where things like GC and KSBD exist? Momentum? Stockholm syndrome? I don't get it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I looked at the comic in question and it's dumb, but CAD's thing with Lucas' girlfriend in a fat suit is like 50 times worse. But that's CAD so who gives a poo poo. I just wonder why comics like QC and CAD (and loving Megatokyo, good god) are still going in an age where things like GC and KSBD exist? Momentum? Stockholm syndrome? I don't get it.

Habit. I can't imagine there's many people getting into CAD or Megatokyo - if only because I never hear of them in any context other than "how come this poo poo is still going" - but once you've been following something for literal decades you need a real excuse to stop. There was a time when these sort of comics really were some of the best of the medium, because there just weren't that many out there, and people that have been reading comics since that time often keep reading the same ones. QC probably still manages to pick up new readers through getting waves of interest of "hey look, this comic has an openly trans character and not as a joke or anything" and the like, and while there's plenty of other, better comics with similarly diverse casts, they just don't have the aggregate audience of something that's been going for 15 years.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the newspaper engine

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
QC is webcomic Garfield. Pretty much everybody read it at some point before getting tired of it, it's never offensive enough for anyone to take it out of their bookmarks, and, and every now and then you get maybe a chuckle from it. Also JJ basically never misses an update, throwing up a sketch or something on days he doesn't get a full page up.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Calaveron posted:

It is bland and dull and not really saying anything and it still nets the artist around 10 grand a month

Of course it's saying something. Why would it be a parade of scenarios demonstrating inclusivity, sex positivity, empathy, etc. if it didn't think all those things are important?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ok, I think I'm seeing the picture now. On the one hand, I can kind of understand... It's a comic with a big female cast, and yet literally none of them are anything approaching fat. If the author actually wanted to represent some body diversity he'd bite the bullet and do it instead of half-assing it with a character that's super anxious about her body when she is slightly curvy at best.

On the other hand... QC fans should really know what to expect at this point. He's not going to get outside his comfort zone.

there's a lot of absolute perverts who actually prefer lovely two-gamers-and-a-couch banter strips