Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013
Strongholds and Followers has some fun content, and the layout/formatting is amazing. The rules are kind of fast and loose. The assumption is that some characters are going to want to invest and others won't, and only the stronghold owners get the relatively powerful class benefits and equivalent of lair actions and region effects. They are in a sense very large magic items attuned to one character.

I haven't looked through warfare, but I believe Matt's intent is to refine it with the community and have it be the only open license section of the book to get it more exposure.

Edit:
To go into more detail, followers can be army units, politicians, artisans, or retainers (with revised minion rules for streamlining combat, their hit dice are literal number of hits they can take). The variety is good.

Strongholds get the aforementioned class improvements and region/lair actions specific to each class regardless of the stronghold type.
There are four stronghold types: Keeps, Towers, Temples, and Establishments. A Castle can combine strongholds up to one of each type.
Keeps do army stuff. Towers have a pretty ambitious spell modification system. Temples let you petition the gods and track your affection meter. Establishments are for information gathering/spying/fronting. You mix and match any stronghold type with any class type.

SmellOfPetroleum fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Also the warfare part of the Strongholds and followers pdf is Open Game Content. A small pdf of that part of the pdf kickstarter is available on the official MCDM reddit. (And it's not :filez: i swear)

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

I've long been intending to use the warfare rules in Norts Universal Martial Maneuvers as a guide to new maneuvers for giving fighters ability to lead in mass warfare scenarios. From a quick read it seems straightforward to have certain maneuvers offer a bonus to unit morale for example. It looks pretty solid so far.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I'm running a christmas-y one off adventure for my PCs, and figured I'd share the document so others could use it if you want. This is based off of the Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, and assumes a 5-person level 1 party. Obviously the encounters/rewards can be adjusted.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ucU3_RxMClS8qkLkwK77-8vfxX4Dq5aM7wg87an1Weg/edit?usp=sharing

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/3991913-dice-roll-off-decides-rare-election-tie-in-east-bay-contest/

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

The last roll... life imitates art

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 16, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Dude, spoilers.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Toshimo posted:

Dude, spoilers.

Sorry!

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Arthil posted:

I backed it, have not yet gotten to look over it in full cause I'm super busy today/this week. But one thing I can say. The PDF is slick. Like it wasn't an afterthought kind of slick. The art in the book leans heavy towards the new creatures, although chapters have good thematic artwork and there is also some really good stuff for class-specific buildings.

It overall has a lot more than just rules for a Stronghold/Home base. There's outright examples for using this stuff for a ship, there are warfare rules and how you'll use units. Also a lot of stuff for dealing with people you can hire on to work for you or create things.

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

Strongholds and Followers has some fun content, and the layout/formatting is amazing. The rules are kind of fast and loose. The assumption is that some characters are going to want to invest and others won't, and only the stronghold owners get the relatively powerful class benefits and equivalent of lair actions and region effects. They are in a sense very large magic items attuned to one character.

I haven't looked through warfare, but I believe Matt's intent is to refine it with the community and have it be the only open license section of the book to get it more exposure.

Edit:
To go into more detail, followers can be army units, politicians, artisans, or retainers (with revised minion rules for streamlining combat, their hit dice are literal number of hits they can take). The variety is good.

Strongholds get the aforementioned class improvements and region/lair actions specific to each class regardless of the stronghold type.
There are four stronghold types: Keeps, Towers, Temples, and Establishments. A Castle can combine strongholds up to one of each type.
Keeps do army stuff. Towers have a pretty ambitious spell modification system. Temples let you petition the gods and track your affection meter. Establishments are for information gathering/spying/fronting. You mix and match any stronghold type with any class type.

Nice. Sounds like it's right up my alley for a "soldiers of fortune" style game I had in mind for 5e.

Semi-related, two long-awaited KickStarters came out recently.

Talislanta, updated for 5th Edition (and d6, and the original 1980s rules).

And the Salt in Wounds Campaign Setting (also for Pathfinder).

The Talislanta seems to be well-received by the KickStarter likes, but Salt in Wounds is not faring too well. The sole DTRPG comment and the KickStarter comments are talking about poor formatting and missing content.

CJTheran
Mar 31, 2010
New UA is out for Sidekicks. Let me summarize them:

Make an entirely new character that is just as fleshed out as a normal PC, but is one level lower.

They spent 4 pages explaining this.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

CJTheran posted:

New UA is out for Sidekicks. Let me summarize them:

Make an entirely new character that is just as fleshed out as a normal PC, but is one level lower.

They spent 4 pages explaining this.
It's funny it's out just after the Colville book released a better retainer system.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Toplowtech posted:

It's funny it's out just after the Colville book released a better retainer system.

I have Colville's book but haven't started reading it yet, does his system work for animals as well? First glance at the UA makes me think it would help Beastmaster Rangers pets be more useful.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

I have Colville's book but haven't started reading it yet, does his system work for animals as well? First glance at the UA makes me think it would help Beastmaster Rangers pets be more useful.
Nope, it's mostly playable races and they are classed by playable classes and archetypes, they are retainers aka your minions/lieutenants. They are decently competent but not pc level: they are always lower level than you, gain one level for every 2 you gain and they start at level 3 and cap at level 7. At best they have 3 tiers of feats/powers/spells/attacks (at 3/5/7 level). Their special hp system make them quite reliable without making them too hard to kill. They are far more easier to manage/level and more focused than the ones in the UA who are too pc like for my taste. It wouldn't be hard to make beasts for your ranger with those rules honestly.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 18, 2018

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Looks like a good chance to pick up a hard copy book pretty cheap (or more than one if you know other non-nerds who will order you one).

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/12/17/dungeons-and-dragons-book-mega-sale/

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Ceros_X posted:

Looks like a good chance to pick up a hard copy book pretty cheap (or more than one if you know other non-nerds who will order you one).

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/12/17/dungeons-and-dragons-book-mega-sale/

Hachi machi!

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I'm comfy with my digital versions for now, but did use it to pick of Art and Arcana.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

In regards to Eldritch Blast, do people consider that Repelling Blast can only be applied once per turn like with Grasp of Hadar/Lance of Lethargy? Per the books, the former doesn't make that distinction while the latter two do. To me logic would dictate that RB was probably "meant" to only apply once, given that the other two are very similar effects.

Basically what I'm looking for is someone to justify my greedy desire to be able to move poo poo all around the battlefield.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

In regards to Eldritch Blast, do people consider that Repelling Blast can only be applied once per turn like with Grasp of Hadar/Lance of Lethargy? Per the books, the former doesn't make that distinction while the latter two do. To me logic would dictate that RB was probably "meant" to only apply once, given that the other two are very similar effects.

Basically what I'm looking for is someone to justify my greedy desire to be able to move poo poo all around the battlefield.

This interaction is why it's considered an absurdly powerful combo, yes.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I mean, it's an effect of the beam so if you're level 5 and you hit two different targets why wouldn't they both be pushed backwards?

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Bhodi posted:

I mean, it's an effect of the beam so if you're level 5 and you hit two different targets why wouldn't they both be pushed backwards?

I should have been more clear, I meant when hitting a single target with all beams.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I should have been more clear, I meant when hitting a single target with all beams.
Oh uhhhhh hm.. Yeah, I dunno. I could see it both ways, honestly.

Natural language! Ask your DM. Honestly I'd lean towards distance stacking, if only for the fun combat flavor. It's not crazy game breaking, IMO, and poo poo you're a warlock, someone who has the fewest combat options of all the classes.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Each beam gets the push. It keys off a hit.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

ritorix posted:

Each beam gets the push. It keys off a hit.

This is also confirmed in an indirect way by Grasp of Hadar in Xanathar’s: “Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with your Eldritch Blast, you can move that creature in a straight line 10 feet closer to yourself.”

Since the original doesn’t have that language and wasn’t errataed to in the last pass, we can safely assume they stack on a single target.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toplowtech posted:

Nope, it's mostly playable races and they are classed by playable classes and archetypes, they are retainers aka your minions/lieutenants. They are decently competent but not pc level: they are always lower level than you, gain one level for every 2 you gain and they start at level 3 and cap at level 7. At best they have 3 tiers of feats/powers/spells/attacks (at 3/5/7 level). Their special hp system make them quite reliable without making them too hard to kill. They are far more easier to manage/level and more focused than the ones in the UA who are too pc like for my taste. It wouldn't be hard to make beasts for your ranger with those rules honestly.

I'm not too sold on the HP rules, the rationale for them is "math is hard!", but I don't find extremely basic subtraction very time-consuming. Should I use the weird HP rules anyway?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arthil posted:

I'm comfy with my digital versions for now, but did use it to pick of Art and Arcana.

Art and Arcana tries really hard to pull some low-key grognardy edition warring

quote:

The 4th Edition rules were to offer each class such a menu of preloaded powers, some of which could be used at will, while others required a cooldown period before reuse - a system familiar to MMO players at the time, and for spellcasting classes, a stark break from traditional D&D memorization requirements. Now a starting wizard who took Magic Missile could cast it every round nonstop, though Sleep could only be cast once daily. Coupled with a boost to starting hit points, this meant that classes that started out weak now had viable offensive and defensive capabilities from the get-go. Other nods to MMO design incldued quick health and ability recovery during downtime between encounters and the division of character classes into the 'roles' of controllers, defenders, leaders, and strikers

quote:

Just as the books departed from the game's heritage, exploring new mechanics and emphasizing tactical miniature combat, it was impossible to ignore the hyper-stylized rebranding similarly occurring in the art. Under the guidance of art director Stacy Longstreet, who relied heavily on William O'Connor for concept art, 4th Edition steered D&D in a brash new direction - one loaded with unbridled action, exaggerated poses, and extreme, often distorted angles.

quote:

Dungeons and Dragons had been reforged into a game system that MMO fans would find familiar. Just as previous editions of the D*D tabletop game tethered their identity to their visual style, a clear decision was made to skew 4th edition toward a more fantastical, super-heroic, World of Warcraft-infused experience. Giant shoulder pauldrons, impossibly large weapons, and incredible splashes of bright color illustrated a new ruleset that leapt far beyond the foundational, brand-defining look that Dave Sutherland's or Dave Trampier's illustrations conveyed back in 1978. The game had once again entered a new era, and yet, strangely, it was no longer the trendsetter.

quote:

Arriving only six years after the polarizing 4th Edition, this sleeker version of the world's most famous RPG is something of an optimized fusion of all the most beloved features and mechanics from the previous four versions, with a refreshed game design intended to attract new and veteran alike.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I am absolutely not going to keep track of ability cooldowns beyond "I used it today."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bhodi posted:

I am absolutely not going to keep track of ability cooldowns beyond "I used it today."

Your cooldowns in 4e are “today” and “this encounter.” It’s much more elegant than that biased text pretends it is.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Art and Arcana tries really hard to pull some low-key grognardy edition warring

... okay? 99% of the book is about the art and design, do we really have to act mad about every little thing?

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Bhodi posted:

Honestly, short-rest resources were a pretty great addition from 4e, considering everything in 3.5 was either daily or at-will, and we all know how comically-imbalanced daily-resource casters were compared to at-will martials.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Anyone have that google docs link for game systems that do DnD better than 5e? I have some friends who want to “try dungeons and dragons” and I want to look that list over before I decide to subject them to 5e (which I think is fine but there’s going to be like 7 of them and combat will probably be a slog).

E: i think gradenko posted it last time but I can’t remember and it was a good 9-10 months ago and I’m lazy and look let’s just give me the link

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Mr. Humalong posted:

Anyone have that google docs link for game systems that do DnD better than 5e? I have some friends who want to “try dungeons and dragons” and I want to look that list over before I decide to subject them to 5e (which I think is fine but there’s going to be like 7 of them and combat will probably be a slog).

I don't have the list, but Shadow of the Demon Lord isn't a bad option. If ANY of them has any experience with 5e, even if it's simply watching nerdy rear end people playing it online, they'll pick up the concepts. Using d6's in place of advantage and disadvantage, all non-contested skill checks only needing to beat a 10 DC. The only thing is the base setting may require a little bit of tinkering if the party is, well, squeamish. If they have a fondness for Evil Dead/Bad Taste/old Nightmare on Elm Street horrible then they'll probably love it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I know in large part the lack of books everywhere is good for the game but it bums me out that there's this big sale on D&D poo poo and I can't take advantage of it as I already have every book I want and have no interest in DMing a module.

I know "boo hoo there's nothing for me to buy" is peak first world problems but still. If we had a million splatbooks or the sale extended to DMsGuild I might have something to pick up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Humalong posted:

E: i think gradenko posted it last time but I can’t remember and it was a good 9-10 months ago and I’m lazy and look let’s just give me the link

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19EfAN7KoU7rWy-TYchf8wVkbfbkRRrv3_ZpnA7ZNljU/edit?usp=drivesdk

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Still largely disagree with this. But I doubt we want another fight over this stuff. (Not the whole here are valid alternate choices, but the whole D&D is a bad game thing.)

Mr. Humalong posted:

With 7 people combat is probably going to take a while in most systems. 5e is one of the quicker ones. You can alway try and swap systems if you think one is not working as well.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 19, 2018

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

I love Strongholds & Followers' layout - it looks more like old-school fantasy than most actual old-school fantasy games, and the stat blocks are really well done. The tone was kind of jarring in places (some parts have an incredibly flippant tone that is completely at odds with the flowery, formal dressings) but I think more games could stand to let their hair down anyway.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh don't think anyone linked the new UA

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/sidekicks

Edit:From looking at it it's kind of weird and does not seem too useful.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 19, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
With 7 people grab the Rules Cyclopedia and run that. Appoint an actual party caller. If anyone gives you poo poo it’s the version of D&D they play on Stranger Things.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Arivia posted:

With 7 people grab the Rules Cyclopedia and run that. Appoint an actual party caller. If anyone gives you poo poo it’s the version of D&D they play on Stranger Things.
Yeah this or just B/X in some form. B/X Essentials and Labyrinth Lord are both fine if you don't wanna use the original books.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh don't think anyone linked the new UA

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/sidekicks

Edit:From looking at it it's kind of weird and does not seem too useful.

If nothing else it could be interesting for playing a sidekick instead of a normal character, playing a CR 1 or lower creature then adding some "class levels". When I saw it I had an idea that might be interesting. A party of heroes went around saving the world and what not and happened to gather a small group of sidekicks as they went around. Then the party of heroes disappears mysteriously, and someone needs to step up into their shoes. So the sidekicks go out and try to do their heroic best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I kind of see the side kicks as a way... for the DM to make sure the party is fleshed out like it need to be. Lacking a cleric? There you go. Need a thief? Boom. Need a little extra damage to get through stuff? Disposable front line fighter.

It's pretty unexciting.