Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
e: maybe new page is good thing

Which is why it's in spoiler tags!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Ehh. It wasn’t clear what it was. Save that stuff for Survivor sucks. It doesn’t belong here.

From OP

quote:

If it hasn't aired in an episode, don't spoil it in this thread.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Ideally edit it out.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Your point has been made.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Thank you.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This is still a disappointing ending though. I feel like everybody left is there by virtue of the mistakes of others.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
jfc.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't know what the last few posts are about but assuming they're about the finale episode or its outcome, don't.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
excellent, that is definitely what i needed to see, puke

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Russell was also on the last season of Australian Survivor. He went in thinking he was a God and then got voted out with an idol pretty much right away lol.

this is really underselling it, he wore it to tribal and beat his chest about how he was going to play it over and over and then didn't (obviously). And then the vote was tied and everyone piled on him in the revote, and it was absolutely wonderful.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Spokes posted:

this is really underselling it, he wore it to tribal and beat his chest about how he was going to play it over and over and then didn't (obviously). And then the vote was tied and everyone piled on him in the revote, and it was absolutely wonderful.

The best part was that he didn't vote for other player in the tie (it was a 4/4/2/2 tie). So he could have saved himself.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Could you not?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think PMach meant of the remaining players.

It's over. We're past it everyone. Nice work.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Something about returnees in general kind of grates on me. I get that they’re popular (and i’d love to see Christian again) but the point of Survivor, to me, is that you go out and play your best and try to win, and that’s it. Seeing people (especially non-winners) play 3+ times is frustrating because they’re bringing these weird legacies into the game and at a certain point, people are playing for their next appearance rather than to win. Whatever, I hate fun, I know.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think a good percentage of people who care enough about Survivor to post about it probably agree with you.

Problem is the viewing audience prefers returnee seasons.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Very few people should play more than twice. Cirie and Sandra were good and J.T. continued his amazing downward trajectory, but otherwise that should be it. Even the players that did okay their third time round (Malcolm, Andrea) really did nothing new.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I can think of only two players who did something appreciably different their third time around; Tyson and Coach.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spergatory posted:

I can think of only two players who did something appreciably different their third time around; Tyson and Coach.

What about the Boston Robfather

the thing he did differently was being surrounded by complete idiots

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

What about the Boston Robfather

the thing he did differently was being surrounded by complete idiots

That was his 4th appearance

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

garthoneeye posted:

Jesus Christ

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
The only advantage to returnee seasons is that I can recognize some of the people. Fresh cast is best, all returnee is second best, a mix is awful and they need to stop doing those entirely.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Returning casts are best in moderation. In the 20s it was getting ridiculous, had returnees for 20, 22, 23, 25, 26, 27...

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Some of those returning seasons were pretty bad, but I'd argue that bringing people back to play the game for a second time has elevated the game of the newbies now who are Survivor superfans. I don't think we would be getting nearly the level of play that we see from a lot of people in their first times if we didn't get to see people adjust and talk about the mistakes they made in their first attempts.

though I don't really know what people could learn from south pacific or redemption island except how to manipulate idiots, heh

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
South Pacific in particular can be seen as a really dark study in how to found and function within a cult. Seriously, Upolu was nuts.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

graventy posted:

The only advantage to returnee seasons is that I can recognize some of the people. Fresh cast is best, all returnee is second best, a mix is awful and they need to stop doing those entirely.

Philippines is one of the very rare exceptions that turned out well.

Spergatory posted:

South Pacific in particular can be seen as a really dark study in how to found and function within a cult. Seriously, Upolu was nuts.

It's also a study on how someone can just defy the gigantic alpha male sausage cluster that was the merged tribe and win.

Seriously, Probst must have been so mad that Sophie beat all his beloved dudes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

garthoneeye posted:

I don't see how anyone could root for Cirie or Ozzy in Game Changers. If they win, it would be very unsatisfying.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Zesty posted:

I don't see how anyone could root for Cirie

Careful, you're going to rile up the Cirie warriors in here.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I thought Cirie was pretty much the only one you could root for going into the Game Changers endgame. I mean, no knock on Sarah, whose game was pretty impressive in that mildly terrifying way that you rarely see nowadays, but I feel like even she would admit that she wasn't exactly "likable" that season. Who the Hell else could we root for? Aubry and Troyzan were barely there, Tai was a flaky lunatic, and Brad Culpepper was... Brad Culpepper.

Man, that was a rough season. Though I guess we should be thankful for it because it clearly scared them off of returnee seasons for at least a little bit.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Spergatory posted:

I thought Cirie was pretty much the only one you could root for going into the Game Changers endgame. I mean, no knock on Sarah, whose game was pretty impressive in that mildly terrifying way that you rarely see nowadays, but I feel like even she would admit that she wasn't exactly "likable" that season. Who the Hell else could we root for? Aubry and Troyzan were barely there, Tai was a flaky lunatic, and Brad Culpepper was... Brad Culpepper.

Man, that was a rough season. Though I guess we should be thankful for it because it clearly scared them off of returnee seasons for at least a little bit.

The season after DvG has four returnees so... 'a little bit' being three seasons, I guess.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I just finished up a dumb offsite Survivor game in which the twist was that literally everybody got an idol. After we finally managed to flush all of the idols at merge, there was a BB-style Christmas challenge in which literally everybody got even more advantages (there were maybe two disadvantages, between 11 people).

My point here is that I still have a hint of the shakes and the way Cirie went out in Game Changers was beyond unfair and stupid and a huge production fail. Vote steal notwithstanding she played a satisfying game, especially after JT of all people nailed her premerge in HvV.

I want another Borneo/Palau type return to innocence.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I want them to bring in 20 people who have never watched Survivor at a time where they introduced idols. So production will keep hiding idols and nobody will look for them.

They'll be tearing their hair out by the third episode.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Its sorta hilarious that Russell garnered this iconic reality game show fame by managing to walk the line of being a repugnant rear end in a top hat but not actually doing anything worse than burning a guy's socks even if you knew he had it in him. And then all his family members get cast and they turn out to not have the restraint Russel had and just start headbutting, stalking, and generally freaking the poo poo out of everyone. Hell of a legacy.

Well, that and losing in the exact same way twice and whining like a baby that its unfair.

I don't know about the other family members but Brandon was legit disturbing at points. Like put him on the show for 4 seasons and while he wouldn't win once I'm pretty sure he'd end up killing someone.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Brandon should honestly have never passed the psych evaluation to go on the show (I presume they have one to make sure you're not gonna go island crazy).

Thankfully in his first season he ended up being (mostly) harmless, other than somehow getting Mikayla voted out.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I honestly wonder about psych. Are those meds included in the first aid kits? And then some mental disorders are serious dangers in that context but others would b reality TV gold.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Propaganda Machine posted:

My point here is that I still have a hint of the shakes and the way Cirie went out in Game Changers was beyond unfair and stupid and a huge production fail. Vote steal notwithstanding she played a satisfying game, especially after JT of all people nailed her premerge in HvV.

Cirie is one of my favorites but I feel like I’d rather not see her a fifth(!) time. I agree that the game changers advantage-geddon thing was dumb and unfair, but I think her archetype of “probably unbeatable at final tribal but also literally never winning a challenge” makes for dull gameplay.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

I honestly wonder about psych. Are those meds included in the first aid kits? And then some mental disorders are serious dangers in that context but others would b reality TV gold.

yeah, people get their daily meds. Sleckman said after the season that she was told they would've provided her meds to her if they knew she'd been taking them.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Spokes posted:

Cirie is one of my favorites but I feel like I’d rather not see her a fifth(!) time. I agree that the game changers advantage-geddon thing was dumb and unfair, but I think her archetype of “probably unbeatable at final tribal but also literally never winning a challenge” makes for dull gameplay.

Totally agreed. They dip back into the well far too often. Every season feels like it's either uncompelling returnees for outing number whatever, or okay newbies with a terrible and belabored theme. Like this one.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Totally agreed. They dip back into the well far too often. Every season feels like it's either uncompelling returnees for outing number whatever, or okay newbies with a terrible and belabored theme. Like this one.

The themes are terrible but almost everyone's agreed this season is very strong. And the themes usually don't matter after about halfway through the season. There's a good chance that a David will win in FTC if they're sitting there, but it's mostly because Nick and Davie have a great resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Kara's mom died before this season aired. She talks about it in interviews and some online confessionals. We're not seeing it in the show because she doesn't win.

Likewise, we're getting a lot of Nick and Davie for a reason.

The show has always gone out of it's way to get the audience on board with the winner. They're better about it this season, but there's still some nobodies going into finale because they don't want the audience too invested in them.