Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I mean, if she'd just slugged him, it would be pretty reasonable, and if she's fine with rezzing him, it shakes out the same.

On the other hand, she's attempted to murder her husband for no good reason, ruined her family financially, and has generally earned her CE alignment.

In conclusion, Hilgya is a dwarf of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Dias posted:

Also he literally gets murdered for it.

Don't play Loki girls.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Capfalcon posted:

I mean, if she'd just slugged him, it would be pretty reasonable, and if she's fine with rezzing him, it shakes out the same.

On the other hand, she's attempted to murder her husband for no good reason, ruined her family financially, and has generally earned her CE alignment.

It is funny how people forget that Hilgya is a Literally Crazy person who regularly reconstructs events into a weird caricature of themselves in her head to make her objectively Chaotic Evil actions justified after the fact :v:

I mean, Durkon could have gotten stuck in the weeds contesting her literally factually inaccurate accounting of events. Going straight to the apology was Good and Cool. Where he fucks up and goes off the board is when he goes "ah, yes, traditional definitions of marriage are what this severely damaged lady needs".

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Did anyone else notice that when Kudzu is reaching for Durkon, she bats his hand away? :(

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Did anyone else notice that when Kudzu is reaching for Durkon, she bats his hand away? :(

Yeah, and then Kudzu is all :nallears:. I love the little details in this strip.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I notice she got the distress parentheses around her eyes when he switched from talking about supporting his son to being with her

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I mean, the fact that he's not permanently dead massively changes the tone of the scene which would otherwise be straight up murder. Yeah, no poo poo, Hilgya is lovely, but Durkon gooned the gently caress up there in an entirely predictable and cringy manner and got burned.

It was a disaster, but it wasn't a random disaster. :v:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

my dad posted:

I mean, the fact that he's not permanently dead massively changes the tone of the scene which would otherwise be straight up murder. Yeah, no poo poo, Hilgya is lovely, but Durkon gooned the gently caress up there in an entirely predictable and cringy manner and got burned.

It was a disaster, but it wasn't a random disaster. :v:

What is the punishment for murder in a world with raise dead?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

ikanreed posted:

What is the punishment for murder in a world with raise dead?

The most terrible cost of all... a caster level.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Capfalcon posted:

Captain Oblivious posted:

It is funny how people forget that Hilgya is a Literally Crazy person who regularly reconstructs events into a weird caricature of themselves in her head to make her objectively Chaotic Evil actions justified after the fact :v:

I mean, Durkon could have gotten stuck in the weeds contesting her literally factually inaccurate accounting of events. Going straight to the apology was Good and Cool. Where he fucks up and goes off the board is when he goes "ah, yes, traditional definitions of marriage are what this severely damaged lady needs".

:words: incoming:

I said this before, but in retrospect her reaction to her husband originally was... Not good, obviously, but there was actually a certain amount of logic there. As we've seen, she was literally forced into the marriage at crossbow point (and also, according to her, chained and locked up at some point or another), with members of her clan visibly pointing crossbows at her during the wedding, and while that was going on her husband was exclaiming that it was the happiest day of his life. Her life after that consisted of her apparent jailer offering her nice things, yet she still wasn't, you know, allowed to leave by her family and such, when the one thing she wanted was freedom and to not be forced into a loveless marriage and all.

Given her life story prior, it kind of makes sense that she thought he was tormenting her; he somehow was completely oblivious to her desires and feelings, thus reacting to them completely nonsensically, and from her perspective it came across as malice because he was going along with and benefiting from her clan's cruelty, and, well, who could be that stupid?

He could, it turns out.

Humor aside, this moment is also important because it shows Hilgya being able to accept that she was wrong and such, when prior to this it seemed like she just reworks everything in her mind until she's completely blameless and refuses to engage with reality if it's inconvenient. Upon getting proof that, no, Ivan really is that dumb, she accepted that instead of trying to keep him fixed as the villain. And then went to go gently caress up her family, but honestly they deserved it.

So, bringing this back to the current strip and how it's relevant to what's going on now, in light of her backstory and such Hilgya's reaction to her encounter with Durkon is, while obviously not good or correct, understandable. She's been abused and imprisoned, metaphorically and possibly literally given what we've seen and heard of her family, nearly her whole life, and has been trying to get away from it. Except, remember her talk about honor and Hel and such, as well as the comic's past things with how the characters have objective knowledge of the afterlife system and such; she knows that fleeing her family, abandoning her marriage, and all that other stuff is "dishonorable", meaning that trying to escape the injustices she's endured would condemn her to an eternity of suffering. Which seems like the sort of thing that would get to someone, I think.

Then she met Durkon, and, after they seemingly had a genuine connection and she got closer to him than she likely had with anyone before that, he started lecturing her and told her to go back to everything she had tried so hard to get away from. Obviously he didn't know the specifics of the situation, but she actually got the overall point across accurately apart from then still thinking her husband was evil rather than an idiot, as well as honestly baring her feelings to him, and he dismissed all that and told her to go away. Literally, explicitly, saying that it doesn't matter if she was miserable or if she loved him, go away. And he got her pregnant, it turns out.

So... Yeah. This isn't to say that Hilgya's right about what kind of person Durkon is (though he was actually in the wrong in this particular instance, which he admits in the current strip), or even that she's not at least a little bit crazy or evil or anything, but given her experiences and available knowledge and stuff, her perspective is actually almost completely reasonable. She hasn't seen everything of Durkon that we have; she just adventured with him briefly, got really close, bared her soul to him, and got told to gently caress off pretty much immediately after they finished having sex. And has had a lot of time to fume and obsess over it since then. Really, he's lucky that she was willing to raise him at all; it's not like the Order could have forced her to revive him instead of just leaving, if she was willing to fight it out.

Also her clan is really, really awful, and I find it hard to feel too sorry for them.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 19, 2018

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

The Question IRL posted:

Resurrection restores you to Full Hit Points when it brings you back.
Loki's Resurrection apparently doesn't because he's a bit of a dick.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

My pennies are on "I promised Loki I'd kill Durkon, there were no stipulations for afterwards ". Or it was a joke

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Durkon made a mistake and overcorrected, as is his wont, and Hilgya made a promise and technically kept it, as is hers.

E: Speaking of technically keeping promises, shouldn't Shojo be chilling somewhere in Valhalla as well, or do Chaotic Good non-northerners/dwarfs get a different hang in Ysgard?

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 19, 2018

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Man I'd be pissed if I lost a level over that. That said, I'd also know better than to propose to a lady that had been monologing about murdering me.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's been a real learning experience for Durkon.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Eifert Posting posted:

That said, I'd also know better than to propose to a lady that had been monologing about murdering me.
What's the point of even having a marriage if you aren't constantly trying to kill each other?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wouldn’t surprise me if this was also Rich’s way of side-stepping around grognards wondering why Durkon isn’t casting spells from the levels he probably got during his High Priest of Hel phase.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Wouldn’t surprise me if this was also Rich’s way of side-stepping around grognards wondering why Durkon isn’t casting spells from the levels he probably got during his High Priest of Hel phase.

Nah, vampire template is a ridiculous level adjustment. He was basically an epic character while vamped and was getting minimal xp. I think there was even a comic to that effect.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

fool_of_sound posted:

Nah, vampire template is a ridiculous level adjustment. He was basically an epic character while vamped and was getting minimal xp. I think there was even a comic to that effect.

Level adjustment doesn't grant any of the benefits of the extra levels; just the downsides (reduced XP gain, etc.)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Level adjustment doesn't grant any of the benefits of the extra levels; just the downsides (reduced XP gain, etc.)

Yes, that was my point. He was considered like 6 levels higher or something for XP.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
folks lets also keep in mind that it's not appropriate to propose to people in public, since it adds pressure to the recipient to accept so as not to cause a scene. durkon hosed up big time

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Durkon made a mistake and overcorrected, as is his wont, and Hilgya made a promise and technically kept it, as is hers.

E: Speaking of technically keeping promises, shouldn't Shojo be chilling somewhere in Valhalla as well, or do Chaotic Good non-northerners/dwarfs get a different hang in Ysgard?

as per my favorite belkar line, he's currently smoking cigars rolled from poorly-worded legal documents

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

fool_of_sound posted:

There was, back when V was soul spliced the directors mentioned they wouldn't get any XP because their effective level was insanely high.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
More recently, after their adventure in Kraagor's tomb Xykon commented on how he actually got XP and how rare that is for him nowadays, too.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Venuz Patrol posted:

folks lets also keep in mind that it's not appropriate to propose to people in public, since it adds pressure to the recipient to accept so as not to cause a scene. durkon hosed up big time

Durkon didn't have time to realize that it was public, on the other hand a proposal between two clerics of opposing gods will always be witnessed by two outsiders, oh wait is it one insider one outsider :psydwarf:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

They hang out with their gods in the appropriate afterlife/demi-plane/whatever. Shojo's is different from Durkon's.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

They hang out with their gods in the appropriate afterlife/demi-plane/whatever. Shojo's is different from Durkon's.

There were azurites at celestia when Roy was dead though.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Roy went to lawful heaven, Shojo is in chaotic heaven.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

ConfusedUs posted:

reignonyourparade posted:

There were azurites at celestia when Roy was dead though.

Celestia is the Lawful Good afterlife, Arborea is the Chaotic Good afterlife. Ysgard is the afterlife between Chaotic Good and Chaotic Neutral.

Or in the comic's terms: Roy and the Azurites all went to the top left corner, Shojo presumably went to the top right corner, and Durkon and Minrah went to the one right under the top right corner.

Of course, Shojo might have ended up somewhere else, depending on where the Twelve Gods' realms are. Like how honorably dead dwarves go to Ysgard and dishonored souls go to Hel, regardless of alignment. But anyway, he's probably not in Ysgard, is the point.

This was a really good post by the way, thanks for making it. (I kept trying to write something similar, and just getting depressed thinking about the analogous situation in real life.)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I thought dwarves had their own special afterlife arrangements, irrespective of their religion. Durkon wouldn't meet Shojo or Roy's family or whoever because they aren't dwarves.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, but Valhalla is in Ysgard, which is one of the standard D&D afterlives, same as Roy going to Celestia when he was dead. The question was whether anyone else who goes to Ysgard would also go to Valhalla, or if they'd end up somewhere else on the plane.

It's moot with regards to Shojo, because as someone pointed out, he's probably living it up in Arborea, rather than Ysgard.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Found this on Reddit and I'm ashamed I genuinely chuckled.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Robviously posted:

Found this on Reddit and I'm ashamed I genuinely chuckled.

Honestly 3 fiends won that fight.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I dunno. Taken in a vacuum, Varsuvius vs Black Dragon had a pretty definite winner.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, I've occasionally seem people claim "ability to make friends" as a legit power to bump your standing in the power rankings, so the question is whether "ability to appeal to higher powers as a useful pawn" should also count.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, I've occasionally seem people claim "ability to make friends" as a legit power to bump your standing in the power rankings, so the question is whether "ability to appeal to higher powers as a useful pawn" should also count.

That's the best power in game of thrones

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

ikanreed posted:

That's the best power in game of thrones

Remind me what the Game of Thrones power rankings are?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Rand Brittain posted:

Remind me what the Game of Thrones power rankings are?

Anyone who isn't dead yet is S tier.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
That one guy is at very high power level from rowing a boat for two years straight

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I hope rich is having an OK holiday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
:siren:Indeed, he is!:siren:

and Hilgya skates by on being lovely and evil again.

Nice way to end the year :)